Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£3.16

on 14 July 2014
Let's clear a few things up: Godflesh weren't kind of gods of guitar-driven industrial, they virtually invented a genre of their own. JK Broadrick didn't part company with Godflesh, it was his project to disband once GC Green had left. While the JK Flesh output is good stuff, it was essentially the closest we'll get to JKB releasing something under his own name, and is just one of the dozens of projects he has been involved with that have released music in the last 25+ years. Godflesh is what JKB is most-known for - and with good reason. However, fundamentally Godflesh was a two-man project, and this is the much-anticipated return of that collaboration.
From 198x's 'Streetcleaner' and 'Godflesh' albums through to 2001's 'Hymns' album Broadrick & Green released some jaw-droppingly unique music - and this is as close to Godflesh Mk I as we're going to get: JK Broadrick, GC Green, machines.
The title track is the weakest of the four in my opinion, but I do get a sense of Broadrick & Green "honouring the back catalogue". The relentless feel to the drums hark back to their earliest output, while the guitar tone reminds me of that of 'Hymns', but the most important aspect of the sound, the most 'Godflesh' element that is making a welcome return after so long, is THAT bass tone. It's back, grinding and clanking away underneath everything else, and this is what makes this release so exciting: nobody else makes quite this sound. I don't what he does to his signal, but it is a glorious sound. 'Ringer' is heavy in a way that it seems only JKB can manage, and if these are the off-cuts of the forthcoming album (and that's not a given with Godflesh), then we really are in for a treat not normally associated with reformations.
on 8 August 2014
As mentioned by other reviewers this is as close to the initial GODFLESH model as you are ever going to get. This is a return to the intensity of the debut (GODFLESH) and street cleaner albums. The tracks contained here are not going to be on the just announced LP "a world lit by fire" so I'm guessing that this is going to be sought after in due course. Best tracks for me are Ringer and playing with fire. I saw GODFLESH supporting loop back in 1990 and if you get the chance to catch them on their tour this december then I would make the effort. Also check out the lead track for AWLBF - https://soundcloud.com/godflesh-2/new-dark-ages/
on 31 August 2014
Godflesh are back! If this is anything to go on then their forthcoming album (scheduled to be released in October 2014) is going to be fantastic. It's dark, it's heavy, it's classic Godflesh without sounding like they are repeating themselves. I love (Justin Broadrick's other project) Jesu too, but I'm delighted that Godflesh are back.
on 29 December 2015
Return of the 'flesh!! Certainly worth waiting 12 years for! A departure from their last album "Hymns" but a return to the earlier elements of drum machine & samples. Preferred this e.p. to the new full-length album to-be-honest.
on 14 July 2014
I dint expect this EP to be as good as it is, a perfect bridge between SOLAH and Hymns whilst still managing to sound fresh and up to date.
This bodes well for the new album!
on 8 June 2014
Godflesh are kind of ‘gods’ of late 80’s heavy guitar driven industrial. In 2002, Godflesh parted company with Justin Broadrick forming a variety of bands including Jesu. In 2012 he formed JK Flesh and released ‘Posthuman’ a mixture of heavy dubstep, industrial, drone, guitar driven, distorted vocal grunge. Godflesh are now back with a new EP and it’s great to have them back! It’s industrial music with distorted guitars and unlike JK vocals are back at the forefront. Personally, I prefer the distorted noise driven vocals of JK than Godflesh so it’s a great release but for me nothing quite matches Broadrick’s songwriting on ‘posthuman’ . I’d wish he would return to writing a few more JK Flesh stuff.
on 20 July 2014