Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 March 2015
Unbelievably, in a thirty plus year career this is Simple Minds first concert video release. The previously available tour film "Live In Verona" featured concert footage interspersed with behind the scenes footage and band interviews. Originally conceived and released as a limited edition for sale via the band's website, Simple Minds Celebrate Live is actually pretty good. Despite it not being the full show that was issued via the limited edition, most of the hits are here. The cd + dvd set has the audio spread across the 2 cds and the visual equivalent on the dvd. The only thing that makes it just that little bit short of a five star rating is the rather lo-fi quality of the sound on the dvd which is only available as 2.0 Dolby Digital. Fortunately it has been encoded for surround so if your system can be set to play 2ch as six it doesn't sound too bad but a dedicated 5.1 mix would've been a much better alternative. The concert has also been released as a stand alone Blu-ray disc "CELEBRATE - LIVE FROM THE SSE HYDRO GLASGOW" without the cds and a 5.1 PCM audio track that not all systems can playback effectively. No doubt the picture will look better on Blu-ray but no cds kind of makes it a buyers choice as to what edition you purchase. For me, the dvd picture looks pretty good up scaled on my Sony player and I'm happy with the image quality so I'm glad I bought the cd/dvd set it's just a shame we don't get the full show.

"Shine On, Shine The Light On Me..."
on 29 March 2015
I have seen them live a couple of times in the mid 80s, and I have to say that they are now heavier than back then, and by that I do not only talk about the music that they record on albums, but also their live performances. To ME it is not an improvement. Their songs from 1980 to about 1984-85 are still my favorite part of their career - I think that their music was simply more interesting then, and while they do return to this era a lot in their live performances (this era represents about half their live set here) it used to be played with lighter feet, so to speak, then compared to now. It is still a good selection of songs, though, and I should think the audience danced as much as they could in their seats!
on 3 January 2015
Everything ok? Asks jim Kerr , this is not a band fading out or living on past glories, this is a band on fire & in peak form.
The sound is superb, the visuals are outstanding, a must have for all fans of the minds you will not be disappointed .
on 2 August 2014
Just short note. Dvd plays fine. It is region free. Just finished watching and it's superb. It isn't full show and would've been nice if it was.
Sound quality is superb on the Cds and Dvd. No surround option though.
They can still cut it for me.
on 20 January 2015
Cards on the table;Simple Minds were always my 2nd favourite band,back in the day,2nd to certain Irish band(God,If I only knew then,what I know now,yep,I got that wrong,big style!!!) & I lost touch with Jim & the lads around the time of Hypnotised & She's a River.When I saw this package came with a live concert DVD,I had to have it,as I always felt 'Live in the City of Light' footage,was'nt the very best representation of this great band,just my view.This however is a total revelation.The picture & sound quality is supreme,the crowd are 'well up for it' too.MOST of the hits are here,& most fans will be happy,however Belfast Child is not on here,odd as it remains the Band's only U.K. no.1.Personally,I would've liked more tunes off Sparkle in the Rain,the inclusion of 'All the Things she said 'is to me a mistake,never liked it,hey-ho that's just me! The band for most part are super,but on a couple of Charlie's solos( See the Light & Sanctify) there seems to be a bit of a feedback/noise interference maybe, & Sarah Brown's microphone needs to be louder at times,but these are uber,minor quibbles.Highlights;virtually all of it,but Someone,Somewhere...... is sensational.Incredible stuff.This isn't just a hits compilation,early stuff such as Love Song,I Travel & The American are all here as well as Most of all the chart hits from the 80's & early 90's.To conclude,this is incredible stuff,mature arena pop/rock nostalgic maybe,but definitely an essential purchase if these lads did it for you,back then.Once you've watched this,your copy of U2 360 tour,will now be totally redundant,just as U2 ARE these days.Simple Minds = Simply Brilliant!
on 4 August 2014
Saw this and thought must have it for the DVD. Features many of the classic tracks and a few not so well known from later albums. DVD is well shot and sound is excellent. Simple Minds continue to tour and produce what the fans want, a well produced live show. Purchase it while you can at the price of £11.99 for 2 CDs and DVD.
on 28 September 2014
The rebirth of Simple Minds coincided with them embracing their whole back catalogue and unashamedly giving the fans what they want. This is a great gig with great songs, The band are on fine form and the crowd are with them the whole way. I don't think the new material is up to the standards of their previous work and granted I long for the sound of Forbes and McNiell but there was a magic about Simple Minds going back to the days of I Travel, Love Song, Sweat In Bullet, The American, The music for that time was phenomenal, then they went very mystical and imperious with New Gold Dream, before the subtle was replaced by the mainstream rock element, but it was all progression. The point is that all these songs have stood the test of time and sound as fresh today as they did way back when Jim Kerr threw shapes and called it dancing and white baggy trousers were acceptable when tucked into black leather ankle boots!

The one thing on the album that I found irritating but funny was the amount of times Jim Kerr says 'Let Me See Your Hands' kind of wish they had edited a few of those out, but it's a minor thing and i actually find it funny.

Simple Minds kind of lost their way in the late 90's and early noughties but they never stopped being a class act live and this is very much proof of that.

Long may they continue to Shine On
on 18 September 2015
Jim Kerr's obsession with getting the audience to show him their hands drives the listen mad. Ok once or twice it maybe ok but at least 8 tracks contain the request "let me see your hands" is way to much. At just over an hour and a half long this is a light weight concert, i expected a much more powerful performance but i guess their age is now against them.
on 24 December 2014
I WAS absolutely delighted when I got it and of course , as usual I unpacked it slowly and I immediately knew I was listening to something both rare and unexpected . Simple Minds , " This is it " .
on 15 December 2014
Such a pity that what we have here is a wasted opportunity. They filmed & recorded the full show, so why do we only get a snippet?

Reminds me of the 80s BBC in concert series that got a video (VHS for American friends) commercial release, Spandau Ballet Over Britain springs to mind, which when get a dvd release give us just the same old edit instead of the whole concert which had to have been filmed before it got edited down to run in the time allotted for the particular tv slot.

Sorry guys, please do a proper job next time. Especially when recycling.