on 16 June 2015
I bought this to replace my Zephyr HxM and I chose this model for 3 reasons.

Firstly it's Polar, which is a long standing brand with a reputation for making top of the range heart rate monitors.

Secondly, it supports Bluetooth 4.0. For those who don't know Bluetooth 4.0 is the low power version of Bluetooth, this means the heart rate monitor will go much longer on a single battery than a standard Bluetooth heart rate monitor. More importantly (for me anyway) it also means it is less of a drain on your phone battery while you are working out - important for those long runs when every battery % counts!

Finally rather than being rechargeable this uses a single CR2025 button type battery. My previous heart rate monitor came with a proprietary charging lead which I could never find when I needed it, with this one I can swap the battery out in seconds. No charging connectors and a sealed battery compartment means this is also waterproof so you can use it while swimming, assuming you have a waterproof phone.

An added bonus which I wasn't aware of when I ordered mine is that it also supports "gym link" so if your gym has compatible cardio equipment then all the machines will display your heart rate without you having to grip the handles on the machine. Tried it at my gym and it works like magic, you start running/peddling/cross training or whatever and your heart rate is detected in a couple of seconds. You don't have to set it up or anything.

Battery life is good, I always unclip one side of the unit from the belt when I'm not using it and I've been on the original battery for months with regular use.

Accuracy seems to be spot on with no spurious readings or drop outs during your workout. Comparing workouts I've done using this one and using my old Zephyr this one is much more reliable.

Overall very happy, would buy again.

Two screenshots attached. One shows the consistent readings from the Polar, the other shows the drop outs I used to get with my old heart rate monitor.
review image review image
on 19 November 2014
I use my Polar H7 heart rate monitor most days now and never go to the gym or for a run without wearing it. I pair it via my iphone 6 to my polar beat app and also to my icardio app, which syncs with fitbit and then onto myfitnesspal.

The polar beat app is very good for seeing your heartbeat / calories burned / HR zones but does not talk to other apps so I have icardio also running in the background.

The HR monitor works every time and has helped me lose over 2 stone in weight, reduce my diabetic HB1AC sugar levels to normal (for the first time in 10 years!) and allows me to accurately understand how many calories I burn down the gym/ running, and then increases myfitnesspal with the number of calories I am allowed to eat to maintain my weight.

Happy days now that I clearly understand not only how to lose weight, but also keep it off. For me, the Polar H7 helps me massively to keep fit and motivated. no cheating allowed!
on 16 September 2012
Even though my FT80 came with a HRM strap, I really wanted to synchronise in real-time my Polar data with the apps I was running on my iPhone; the Polar H7 allows you to do exactly this.

Setting it up was a snap with the watch finding it right away and the iPhone apps just needing to be connected individually. I should point out though that at first I thought it was faulty at the unit does not show up in the Bluetooth list as I expected, but is connected though each apps settings screen (the user guide makes no mention of how the device works with an iPhone.)

Once you set up the device and set off, you see your heart rate accurately displayed not only on your watch, but on the app too; something I've found to be *highly* motivating when comparing work-out data as you can easily see your fitness and endurance levels improving with actual data, not just a 'feeling'.

In summary then, a superb product which (for me at least) has really helped me track and improve my fitness, but make sure you use the latest version of your apps for it to work on the iPhone 5.

*update* Since posting this, many of the apps have been updated for the iPhone 5. I can confim that the H7 now works perfectly with the latest versions of the most popular fitness apps (Runkeeper, Endomondo etc.).

*2014 update* Happy to report that the same H7 that I bought a couple of years ago is still working perfectly and still using the original batteries. It also works perfectly with the new Polar Loop.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 June 2014
I use Strava every time I go on a bike ride and I wanted a HRM which would integrate nicely with it, this does the job perfectly.

I use Strava on a Nexus 5 running Android 4.4 KitKat and although Strava do not specifically mention this HRM as compatible it connected straight away and shows my heart rate throughout my activity.

I already own a Polar FT7 HRM and the H7 connected to the watch unit straight away so I could leave my phone in my bag/pocket and still view my heart rate on the watch during the ride. The chest strap supplied is the same as that which came with the FT7 and is very comfortable (you hardly notice its there), the transmitter which connects to the chest strap is slightly bigger than the one supplied with the FT7 but it is still very unobtrusive.

I can't comment on battery life because I haven't had the product long enough to do so, however, it is worth remembering to disconnect the transmitter from the chest strap when you're not using it or the battery will drain fast.

All in all a great product.
on 12 August 2013
A couple of apps now compatible with this and Samsung galaxy S4. Also works perfectly with gym equipment. Remember to disconnect from strap to avoid flat battery.
on 2 January 2015
The Polar H7 Hear Rate Sensor is a fantastic product for those people looking to take their fitness / exercise training to another level.

Ultimately you will be buying this product to accurately measure your heart rate, and the H7 does this incredibly well.
The advantage of using a separate heart rate sensor over an all in one device is that it can be used with several devices. Having bought a Polar Loop, the two work perfectly in tandem, however the H7 also effortlessly syncs to a whole host of stand alone apps on my iPhone.

One of the key things to look out for with Bluetooth devices are that they are 4.0. The main benefit of this for a heart rate monitor is that the battery life lasts significantly longer than older Bluetooth technology. This feature alone makes the H7 worth paying extra for Vs cheaper alternatives that don't have this feature.

The instructions are clear and simple to use and connecting the device is easy.

The main concern I would have is whether you are comfortable exercising with an elastic band round your chest. Sometimes you do feel a bit restricted and it may be worthwhile investigating the all in one solutions that monitor heart rate from the wrist.
on 24 January 2015
I'm a big lad and bought this to help me train more efficiently, also bought an extender for the strap, but this isn't needed, the strap I would guess would happily accommodate upto a 60" chest. The sensor seems to work well, it talks to my iPhone, iPad, gym gear and my polar watch and all works well. The range it claims is to my mind definitely over estimated and mine looses contact if more than a metre or so away from the receiving device. had a problem with the strap and sensor as I didntbuse it for a couple of months and it seemed to stop working, batteries in an out, nothing. No info in the booklet, but a with web search, discovered the sensor and strap could be reset, and when I did this it worked fine again. Handy piece of kit, much more accurate than hand grip sensors on gym equipment and guessing your heart rate. Software and apps to work with it are free for basic version with extras that you can pay for, these are useful and can help plan a good heart rate based workout. Wouldn't train without it now.
on 5 June 2013
I bought this before upgrading my phone so spent some time using with my FT80 as a straightforward HRM transmitter. It worked as well as the original although the clasp was more fiddly and the elastic was not as robust. When I upgraded to iphone 5 that made the world of difference. I now get all the information I need but that is down to the Polar Beat app. There are some niggles which may just be teething problems for me but could take this down to 5 stars. The big one is that the star training programme on the watch does not mesh with the beat training. I am also yet to work how to isolate parts of my training sessions when I am running intervals or at race pace; the polar online notes seem to suggest that I should be using another HRM. The interface is with beat so I would not expect that to be the case.

I love my FT80 for the strength training features and have yet to check them out on beat, although a watch on your wrist in the gym is better than an iphone on your arm. If you are just getting into HRM training the H7and polar beat on your iphone is a cheap way to try it out. The features keep me motivated and I have just started so I will update this review when I am fully up to speed.

My recommendation is to give it a try; well worth it at the price.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2014
Neatly packaged in one of those plastic packs that require a jackhammer and crowbar to budge.
No seriously just use a pair of scissors and snip around the edge and there you go.

As easy to use as other Polar straps – Just adjust it, slip it around your chest, and clip it in securely. Once you have adjusted it for snug fit it is recommended to put a little bit of water to ensure contact between the electrodes and the skin.
The black receiver is a little bigger than some of the other models but still small enough as to not be in the way or obtrusive.
Simply snap on the receiver and it will automatically be picked up by normal gym equipment such as treadmills etc.

To use it on mobile phone, first install the correct application such as Runtastic Pro etc and then merely activate blue tooth on the phone. Worked without a glitch on my iPhone and using it daily for running. I prefer Runtastic Pro over Polar Beat as I also synch this information with Fitbit, Withings, MyFitnessPal etc and Polar Beat does not seem to synch with these yet… (Note the normal Runtastic does not support Heart Rate monitors)

Yes you can connect it via Bluetooth and radio frequency simultaneously and it’s interesting to see that even if the radio frequency gets interference the Bluetooth connection still shows the correct heart rate. I use this for monitoring heart rate on my treadmill while capturing the details in Runtastic Pro.

I have had it drop out once or twice while trail running but it quickly recovered after I adjusted the strap correctly so can’t fault the receiver…
Cannot yet comment on the battery life but will be surprised if it lasts for more than 6 months, which will still be longer than the iWatch 6 minutes...

Definitely does what it says on the box so far and even bought my non-gimmicky wife one so giving it a 5/5. The jury is still out on her feedback so watch this space…
on 20 March 2014
I've been heavily into fitness for the last few years, but this has transformed things. I now perform interval training by increasing and decreasing my heart rate into different zones.

I use an iPhone 4S. The bad news is that the first time I ever used it, it took me over 4 hours to pair the Polar to my phone - that was about a month ago. Since then I figure as long as I never unpair it, I'll be fine. So far so good. Every time I use it, the phone recognises it straight away.

I know 2 other iPhone 4S users and theirs paired straight away, so you may get lucky. I also know a Samsung S4 user, and theirs works OK too.

More bad news... I'm on my 3rd battery. So I've bought a pack of 24 off Amazon - very cheap. Just make sure you always have a 1p to unscrew the back, and a pin to get the battery out. Unfortunately the battery died just seconds before a charity run that I'd been training for, so was unable to do anything about it. There are settings in the app about 'visibility'. You can increase battery by turning these off. Just be warned. As long as you're prepared and keep an eye on the battery, you're fine.

The good news... As well as using the app on the phone to keep track of effort and calories, it's also worked with all the gym and spin equipment I've tried so far! So the phone is zipped in my pocket doing the calorie stuff, and the readout on the gym equipment gives me a real time display so I can gauge my effort.

In short... I wouldn't be without it. Buy one!