4.4 out of 5 stars1,378

on 29 July 2014
last thee books fab this one was hard going not the best was glad to finish it. Love his books but this one was the worst i have read and have read them all.
on 28 October 2014
Disappointing, repetitive and a bit boring...

The key characters both lack credibility - the 'heroine' (Red) has been saddled with a stupid name and a personality bypass as she is tedious to the point of being vacuous whilst the 'villain of the piece' (Bryce) appears to have superhuman abilities far above those that a magician would possess, he also fantasises about what he's going to do to Red far too frequently and in far too many words.

I'm also sick to death of Cleo and the sacharine sweet relationship between her and Roy Grace, now made even more unreadable by the birth of their son. Their domestic scenes contribute nothing positive to these books - all they do is make me feel more and more nauseous.

Every book has to retell the story of Sandy, who has now made a couple of guest appearances but has added very little to the storyline.

These novels are starting to become very samey with the only surprises coming from the untimely demises of various supporting characters...
on 8 July 2014
Firstly, I would like to say that I have always been a big Peter James fan. I have read all of the Roy Grace series and have enjoyed them all immensely. I am however starting to feel that Peter is starting to run out of ideas. I know this is a winning formula for him, but the time has come for him to change things up a little. The whole Sandy thing needs to be brought to a conclusion. This is the carrot he continues to dangle in front of us in the hope that we will buy his next book. It's gone on for far too long already and I, for one have now run out of patience. I wouldn't mind if the main story was strong, but in this book it wasn't. The plots and the characters seem to be getting more bland and weaker every time.

In my view, James needs to revitalise the series by concluding the Sandy thing and take things in a whole new direction. Otherwise it's just the same old thing over and over!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 July 2014
Enjoyable enough, but I'm one of the disappointed I'm afraid. The villain has skills which would make Superman envious; the victim returns to work day-after-day having shrugged off several attempts on her life and threats to her family - and chooses to do the opposite of what any normal, terrified person might do in the same circumstances. Sack the therapist woman !
And why would Bryce want to kill Roy particularly ? Thank God for a bit of Van Morrison eh.
The Sandy thing has run it's course and whilst initially an interesting sub-plot, quite honestly, I'll be glad if what's suggested has happened to her does come to pass.
My other gripe is the "utopian" relationship between Roy and Cleo. The constant references to how deeply they love one another and the frankly saintish way in which his new Bride accepts the cancellation of her honeymoon. Or maybe I'm the odd one ? But the most annoying thing is the very un-characteristic way Roy speaks to Cleo; I think someone else has mentioned the "right back at you" response to (yet another) of Cleo's declarations of undying love. Very cringeworthy and un-Roy like.
I appreciate keeping things too real would make for quite a boring story, but the balance has been lost here and had started to shift out of kilter with the last couple of offerings.
By the way, was I supposed to know who the Irish inmate was at the end ?
On the plus side, I liked the short chapters - and I shed a tear whilst sucking on a Malteeser......
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2014
As we are now in the grip (or not) of the World Cup, I would say in football parlance that for me, this book represented a game of two halves. Despite being a Peter James fan, and having read all of the previous Roy Grace novels, I found this not to be one of his best.

I found the shift away from Grace and his team as fairly prominent characters to almost bit players a negative move. It might have worked for me had I been taken with the main plot and the featured characters of Red and her sociopathic stalker ex, Bryant. As it was in the first half I found the plot too bogged down with repetitive detail, revealed via the counselling sessions with her therapist. I wasn't sympathetic to the character of Red, far from seeing her as a strong, independent character refusing to be a victim, I found her to be quite naive, if not stupid in her actions. For example, what female estate agent (given real life events) would deliberately falsify contact details in her work diary, before going to meet a client, a complete stranger, in an empty property. - especially when she knows her ex is a threat.

I was more engaged when the plot concentrated on Grace, his forthcoming nuptials to Cleo, and the team that we have come to know and in most cases love. Inevitably Sandy does make an appearance, though whether that story resolves itself I can't say. For me the novels are as much about their stories as the crimes they are investigating. The team come more into play once the plot becomes more focused on Bryant as a suspect, rather than what he intends to do and why.

Reading this review back, it feels very negative, but given how much I've enjoyed the others, it is my attempt to explain why I didn't like this as much. Peter James is a terrific writer, and this is not a bad book, it has all the drama, tension and shocks that you want from a good thriller, it just didn't do it for me, like some of his others. I'll still be waiting for news of the next one to see how things progress for Grace and his team.

I received my ebook via Netgalley in return for an honest review.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 December 2014
Domestic violence is, I think, a difficult subject to write about so I was interested to see how Mr James would handle it. Red Westwood's ex, Bryce Laurent and other aliases, can't forgive her for leaving him and embarks on murderous revenge. Firstly I will say that I have not encountered domestic violence so some of Bryce's antics seem a little over the top but I am an avid true crime documentary watcher and I can see that his behaviour mirrors some real life abusers. I think that perhaps it's the totality of his actions which is a bit OTT - if Mr James had cut some scenes it would have been more believable but then we might have lost some of the sense of brutality, violence and evil involved in domestic abuse. As you can see I am ambivalent about this part of the book - it is nasty and violent and seems extreme and unrealistic but so is the subject matter. I am on much clearer ground about the changes in Roy Grace's life. It is good to see his life and that of his team evolving and changing with his marriage and the arrival of the awful Caspian Pewe as the new ACC. The Sandy thing is just becoming weird and given her antics in this book she would be better suited to living in Bedlam, not Germany - it's time for Mr James to put up or shut up.
Despite my mixed feelings above this is a good read with non stop action, definitely a page turner.
on 8 September 2014
Want You Dead by Peter James is the tenth book in his Roy Grace series and is without doubt a very good read.

As usual with a Peter James book the writing was very good and the short quick chapters manage to keep the book going at a very fast pace making it very difficult to put down. Indeed all the work Peter has put in over the last ten years pays off in spades with this book as the already established characters and relationships felt very familiar and comfortable as the book went on. It is in my opinion one of Peter's main strengths is that he has created a whole team around Grace that the reader can fall in love with and enjoy.

With all that said I found the actual main story of the book to be slightly unfulfilling. For the first time I thought that the crime aspect played second fiddle to the weddings, ex-wife's and other issues that came up during the book. The basic premises of a stalker was covered fairly well in Peter's excellent Not Dead Yet novel and this seemed a tad too similar in places.

All things considered this was still a very good read and still very much a book I would recommend. It doesn't quite match the previously high standards of other books in the series but it was still enjoyable.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 2 August 2014
Want You Dead, Peter James, Macmillan, 2014, 405pp.

This is an interesting Inspector Roy Grace novel, but unfortunately it is time-sharing with the story of the decaying relationship between the young lady whose story dominates the novel, and her loony sociopath ex-boyfriend who is stalking her with a campaign of arson and murder. Inspector Grace doesn’t even get a mention on the dust-jacket of the hardcover edition, not even on the inside of the front cover. The two stories – that of Red Westwood and that of Inspector Grace and his supporting cast eventually merge as the violence escalates, but they are definitely two separate stories for much of the book. I wasn’t particularly interested in the fine detail of Ms Westwood’s life and relationships, well-researched and written as it was; though I can’t complain about it being here, as the book wasn’t advertised as an Inspector grace novel, and I had to skim through the pages in the library to discover that it, in fact, was. I can only speculate that the author considered this an important story to tell, or he and his publisher wanted to stretch his wings and find a new audience for his books; but, I repeat, it isn’t advertises as a Roy Grace story.

That being said, as well as the police procedural story, there is much change and progress in the life of Roy Grace and his supporting cast: his friend Glenn Branson is now a single father, and Grace himself celebrates his wedding in this story, which is attended by his first wife Sandy and their ten-year-old son... The story is excellently told, and there are a number of places where hints are dropped and paths are crossed which may or may not have a bearing on the story (or even a future one). Old characters make their returns, and at least regular one makes their exit, for even the Police suffer at the hands of this particular criminal.

The story of Ms Red Westwood is hard to describe without giving too much away, but she is an intelligent, professional young woman, whose ex-boyfriend turned out to be an abusive fantasist who remains fixated on her, and is driven to murder by her eventually taking a new boyfriend. Her evolution as a character from abused and self-blaming victim to abused but fighting-back heroine is well-described – though how many abused women in the real world have the support and internal resources to overcome their ’programming’ in this way is open to question.

The villain of the piece, the ex-boyfriend, is a fairly one-dimensional character, and does seem to have escaped from a Hollywood thriller.

So, to sum up; this is an excellent (and important episode in the) Roy Grace story, but it shares the book with a second story which I did not have any real personal interest in; BUT, as this is not advertised as a Roy Grace story, so you can’t justifiably complain about that aspect of the book.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 November 2014
I agree with all the 1star reviewers, this was by far the worst book of the series. A superhuman crook, a stupid girl and a nauseating home life, I used to wait in anticipation for a new Grace novel, not any more, I think he's going down the same route as Stephen Booth, write as many books as possible in a series before people catch on as to how progressively worse they are getting.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 December 2014
This has got to be the most crass book that I have ever tried to read. The Roy Grace series has been a bit of chore. The point of
the missing wife is daft. At the speed Brighton police are portrayed to move at, it is a wonder any crime is solved.
The greatest wonder is from the millions and millions of readers of this series that only a few have wrote a review.