Highway Diner, the last album of all-new recordings by Lacy for Columbia, is a blend of country and blues. It didn't do especially well at the time, nor did the singles released from it (Working class man, This ol' town) but Lacy's cause was maybe not helped by a resurgent Tanya Tucker, who came back to form in style that year. While it is quite easy to tell their voices apart, they have enough similarity that it might have deterred some radio stations from playing both. In any event, these two excellent singers were never successful at the same time as each other.

Among the songs here, Boomtown is not the Toby Keith song, but a very different song about an erstwhile small town being expanded. Other great songs include 12:05, Changing all the time (the track about the highway diner) and Can't see me without you, but there's plenty of great music here.

The second album, Blue eyed blues, features two tracks that hadn't been released previously as far as I can tell (Have I got a heart for you, I'll love 'em whatever they are), four duets that had previously been released on albums by the male duet partners (David Allan Coe, Bobby Bare, George Jones and Earl Scruggs) and four solo tracks that had been released on Lacy's earlier albums, these being 16th Avenue, Hillbilly girl with the blues, My old yellow car and the title track. It was clearly an end-of-contract album but works quite well and neatly complements Highway diner.

There are just two more of Lacy's Columbia albums to be released on CD, these being Dream baby (which I didn't buy in my vinyl days) and Can't run away from your heart (an excellent album that I did buy on vinyl). It appears that this is the last release on the Morello label, as the parent label Cherry Red has removed Morello's New release page BUT two other customers have been in contact with Morello and have been assured that further releases are planned for 2015. We'll see.
99 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 August 2014
Lacy J. must be the most underrated artist as I think she is superb. There isn't a bad album!