Format: Audio CDChange

on 12 September 2014
If you like Elvis' Vegas years, as I do, then this box set is for you! A quick breakdown of the 8 CD/2 DVD set:

CD 1 - The original album and some singles/outtakes
CD 2 - Show from 10/08/70
CD 3 - Dinner show from 11/08/70
CD 4 - Midnight show from 11/08/70
CD 5 - Dinner show from 12/08/70
CD 6 - Midnight show from 12/08/70
CD 7 - Dinner show from 13/08/70
CD 8 - Various rehersals
DVD 1 - Elvis: That's The Way It Is (Special Edition 2001 film)
DVD 2 - Elvis: That's The Way It Is (Original 1970 film)

This box set provides a very specialised look near the beginning of Elvis' residences in Las Vegas performing at the International Hotel in 1970 (though he had played there a year earlier in 1969 as potential dry run). As you can see by the film it captures Elvis at arguably his best (in physical and vocal form) after the '68 Comeback Special and before the slow decent into ill-health from around 1973/4 to his untimely death in 1977.

Whilst there are quite a few tracks that are marked unreleased, many others have already shown up on the Live In Las Vegas or Walk A Mile In My Shoes box sets.
on 17 August 2014
What on earth has Sony Music done to That’s The Way It Is?

I don’t own a CD player so any CD’s I play on my Blu-ray player and have the sound going through my Bose Solo.

The sound quality is absolutely fantastic, stunning in fact. I was able to hear things on this release which I never heard on the 3 CD set of the same name which was released some years ago.

As for the picture quality of the DVD’s, again this is fantastic. You would never think this was recorded 44 years ago.

Initially when the press release came out for this set along with the price, a lot of fans complained about the cost as it were out of reach for a lot. Due to the hard work involved in putting this set together I personally can see how the cost is justified. It is certainly a must have for any collection.

It is by far one of the best releases to date. Keep up the good work.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 August 2014
AWESOME... but what are they still holding back!!!!!

I didn't need to read any reviews about this box set. As soon as I saw it advertised knew I wanted it. In fact it was more a case of I had to have it. And like the earlier Prince From Another Planet boxset. Which I think is truly great.

This boxset is simply AWESOME. Its just superb in every detail. There is so much stuff and the remastering, or whatever they did, have made it better than anything that has so far come out. I haven't read a single bad review of this box set. And I understand why. There is just so much 'new' stuff. Yes, bits and pieces have been released on various other box sets. But non of them, were of this quality.

7 whole concerts on CD. 1 rehearsal CD. 2 movie DVDs. Its fantastic.The CDs and DVDs are easy to take out of their slots. No messing with individual cases, This is Elvis in his prime, and 'Knockin em Dead!' Although he never liked being called 'The King', this is the 'King of the Jungle' as he should be. Caught maybe, but Wild and Untamed. This is Elvis as he was at the start of the 70s. And its all beautifully put together.

All I wonder is? What else have they got, that they have yet to release? Tbh I can't wait to find out.
on 30 September 2014
Quite simply an absolutely fantastic and comprehensive deluxe package of that period-one of the highlights of his career. 8 cds, 2 dvds and an 80 page LP sized book with great colour and b/w photos. Yes with 6 live concerts you will get 'repetition' of tracks but if you are a real fan you will still love them all as well as the banter with the audience! If you're tempted and can afford it-don't hesitate!
on 15 February 2015
on 18 August 2014
I do partly agree with the last reviewer however to say Elvis was bored at this point in his career is simply not true that did not come until 1973 when Elvis was sick of performing in Vegas, remember that Elvis performed two shows a day so of course some of the repertoire and banter will be similar but his performances was faultless okay some of his 50s numbers was rushed or was he really trying to be more contemporary and keep the show flowing who knows but to hear him sing songs like Bridge over troubled water,Just Pretend,Ive lost you,Wonder of you and the rip roaring Polk salad Annie is pure magic the set also includes rarely performed songs such as Twenty days and twenty nights,Stranger in the Crowd,Make the world go away.There goes my everything and Walk a mile in my shoes.I know most of the content as been released many times over but not in this quality you also get two unreleased shows and the packaging and the book that comes with it is first class, i actually sold all my previous outings to buy this set and i am glad that i did.My only criticism is the DVDs that come with it are not the new Bluray discs that is why i gave it four stars and not five however do not be put off by that this set is a winner and should belong in every fans collection but if you are just a casual Elvis listener opt for TTWII legacy 2 disc version that can be bought for less than a tenner.
on 28 May 2015
This is a magnificent set for anyone who loved the film. All the concerts the film was culled from are here and the audio quality and mix is superb across the CDs. Elvis is on top form throughout, probably his peak and the vocal performances are very good withut fail. THe inclusion of the revised film and original film on two DVDs is good - but why could there not be a blu ray version of this box set? I'd say they missed a trick here but as ever, the Presley estate makes sure you buy this and the blu ray - maxing out the customer spend. Shame on them. However, that gripe aside, this is a simply wonderful listen.
on 24 November 2015
Why the 5 stars when I've just told another reviewer his 3* review was great? Well, first off - the original album sounds amazing. 2nd while I agree that it's not a great idea to listen to all the concerts back to back (I made that mistake on Sunday) there are some nice tracks with different vocals in there that will probably make it to my playlist - think I need to focus on one concert at a time to appreciate them better.

3rdly - I actually like some of the "rehearsal" material. It's a shame that Oh Happy Day (for example) isn't better quality as it's an amazing vocal performance. 4th - I'm a bit of an anorak and having the Special Edition just wasn't enough. 5th (I'll stop in a minute - honest) - I was bought this concert on vinyl when I was 7 or 8 and I've LOVED it ever since. I actually think I like it better than the (whisper this part) '68 special in some ways because there are some of my all time fav ballads on here and Bridge Over Troubled Water just makes the hairs on back of my neck stand on end. It's a track I have to play at least 3 times each time it pops up.

I also think you can hear the boredom and I curse the day he ever met the dog catcher. I saw Jerry Shilling on a programme last week saying HE (who shall not be named) was "the greatest rock 'n' roll manager of all time". I nearly put my remote through the TV and I really need to stop shouting at it...the neighbours will have me locked up.

But I also think this is great value for money. I paid £89.95 for it (free postage) and I checked around before I bought it and some places were selling it for £130 (UK Fan Club - hang your head in shame). When you think there's 156 tracks on here - I'm sure many people will find enough pleasure in there to make it worthwhile. But only if you're a diehard.

I've not watched the DVDs yet (been too busy with the music) but suspect I've already got at least one of them. Never mind. It was probably worth it for CD1.
review image review image
on 19 February 2015
This is a great box in many ways: A good handful of concerts from Las Vegas (and interesting to find out that not to concerts were alike), a very fine presentation, two dvd's and a heavy booklet that really shows you Elvis at Vegas. Highly recommendable if you get it at the right price. I live in Denmark and decided not to buy it at Amazon because they have dropped the free delivery to Denmark. Instead I found it at a shop in Central London while on holiday - for 90 £ in a still factory sealed version.So that was a win-win situation for me.
on 13 August 2014
I suspect this box set will only appeal to true fans/collectors. Having said that, it has some great studio recordings on disc one and the shows from Elvis' third Vegas season are good too, although for a non fan, the repetitiveness of the shows might be off putting. Interesting 80 page book and the package is worth grabbing if you can get it for the lower offer price of around £77.00. If you are a more casual buyer, then the two disc Legacy version would probably be a better option.