on 20 May 2014
This is quite possibly the best WW3 novel ever! A tour de force from start to finish. Crossing The Rubicon finishes off a brilliant series in style. Mr. Farman's Armageddon's Song series is simply mind-blowing. Totally believable action scenes which will leave you out of breath with excitement. Characters you can relate to (but don't get too attached!). Plot twists and turns will keep you turning pages. I can't recommend these books highly enough. You will not be disappointed.
on 26 May 2014
I was really pretty sad to read this book knowing that it was the last in the series. The story is full of well described battles and the characters are superbly well written. Lots of British Army humour and characters any one who has served in the forces can relate to. From the seas of the Pacific to the wilderness of Australia this is right up there with some of the best work of Tom Clancy. I have a feeling the two of you would have got on very well.
It is a fitting and first class end to the "Armageddons Song" series of books. With a very nice twist right at the end. (if only things like that came true Mr Farman).
I am very sorry to see the series come to an end, put can not wait for "Shaw, USMC" to be released.
on 15 June 2014
I am a fan, so this tempers all my ratings of Mr Farman's work....I also get a mention in the dedication/thanks section, first time ever - so I am perhaps more than a little biased......
Saying all that....I came to the Armageddon's Song series looking for an adventure story with a bit of bite, believable but also alternative in its assumptions and timing, and that is exactly what I got.....

And Crossing the Rubicon is a fitting end to a series.

The ending befits an author who was at the sharp pointy end of the stick for so many years, listening and watching (and obeying) the politicians of the time make a complete mess of even the simplest things - the book gives them what they deserve...a reckoning and justice......while holding the values and culture of the doers to the highest standards......

The action, as always, is fast paced - and I am wondering if there was a possibility of a few thousand more words in it all....(smiling to myself), or did I just wish it would not end....both perhaps is true - but an ending is always required, and as I have said before - its the authors book not ours, we just share and enjoy the journey.........

Looking forward to your next writing adventure Mr Farman - thanks for sharing this one with us.....
on 20 May 2014
Andy has done it again. Marvellous writing, realism shouting at you from the page, actually screen. I winced at some of the action, blasted navy gunners.
Read the series, you will love it.
on 3 June 2014
Always had a strong interestest in all things military and read several books on a hypothetical WW3 from Tom Clancy to General Sir John Hackett and this series is by far the best. Combining aspects the realism and technical detail from Hackett and the action and back room dealings of Clancy.

As for the book itself it was good to finally get to the gritty ground war in Asia as well as continueing the threads from previous books. It was a rethreshing to move from the rain and mud of Europe. Brilliant set pieces throughout, from the initial landings upto the chaos towards the end, trying not to give away anything. Though some critism as brought up by another review, it may well have been nice for it included within previous books and drawn out rather then act purely as the ending. Somehow the threat of the Chinese doesn't feel the same as from Russia. But that is a small issue and believe is partially due to the necessary splitting of the fourth book into Longest Night and Crossing the Rubicon. Plus it does allow it to be absorbed nicely without jumping from a battle in Germany straight to Australia. It does not detract from the series as a whole which I think is how this should be read.

Also the ending itself is pretty awesome, for a series that covered so many people and locations and a detailed plot it was nice to see the full arc completed, but also leaves space for future instalments relating to some characters and aspects.

Sadly my wish of some extended point of view helicopter gunship action is still left wanting but got enough with the spies, snipers, tank crews, pilots and infantry...and politicians, who aren't the best in this, sometimes you hope the Soviets and Chinese would win!

Overall, recommend it to anyone who appreciates military stories, and have in fact. Now going to go back and re read them, hope for a few more tales from this author in future!
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2014
The end of the series. A tragedy. No more to read.
For this genre, this series is probably the best ever. My other reviews ( see previous book) have lauded the series and to be honest, there isn't much more that I can say other than I shall be scanning constantly, looking for more from Mr Farman. Forget nicotine addiction, his books create their own cravings. I am an addict, totally hooked.
on 24 May 2014
A long complex and fascinating story which has kept me enthralled for weeks. Highly recommended and greatly entertaining. More please!
on 5 July 2014
Just finished the fifth and last book in the series and have to give it five stars. As a former soldier of the 70's I enjoyed the banter between the British troops and agreed with the comments about dodgy kit and incompetent politicians. The soldiers of today are still facing the same problems. I was irked with the usual problems associated with kindle books - poor proof reading and editing. Perhaps Andy should take them to task. I also found it disconcerting that almost all of the cast of characters end up dead; very few had a happy ever after. I also wondered why China was not nuked after their ICBM sites had been destroyed - it might have brought the war to an end sooner? I would have liked an extra chapter at the end, covering the months after the end of the war. What happened in post war Russia and China? How did Australia rebuild after the war? How about the surviving characters - any happy endings for any of them? Could there have been a sixth book in the series?

I will be looking for future publications from Mr Farman. How about a book on Svetlana?
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2014
Andy really manages to keep you hooked. He has a thorough knowledge of the weaponry and the often brutal tactics that would doubtless be "de rigeur" should such an unthinkable conflict come to pass for real.
The whole series of Armageddon's Song are money well spent in my opinion!
I sincerely look forward to your next book Andy. Well done.
on 21 March 2015
Crossing the Rubicon is the culmination of a series of very very good books and the Armageddons Song as whole was tremendous. Mr Farman again hits the bullseye with this book. The story gets the reader gripped from the get go and keeps them enthrawled till the very end. Unlike other action warfare books no character is safe and when you get to like one of them they get bumped off. The writing of this book must have taken a lot of research and it shows the discription of places, equipments, tactics and unit organisation is so detailed throughout the 5 books that one would assume that the writer had spent as much time in reference books as he did writing them - the only downside I feel is that the series is finished. I am looking forward to upcoming books from Mr Farman LT Shaw USMC and 54 degrees North (which i have heard are in the pipeline). I have already lent my copy of Stand To to a work colleague and will be ensuring I get back so that in the future I can read the series again.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse