Beats by Dr. Dre Solo2 On-Ear Headphones - Black
Colour Name: BlackStyle Name: WiredChange
Price:£159.64+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 8 August 2014
I spent a long time looking at various pairs of headphones and finally setted on these - despite the Beats bashers saying they're only for people who care about style over substance. Well, now I own a pair, I can safely say those people are wrong.

Yes - they are a good looking pair of headphones. I got comments on them in the office on the first day I bought them. And I've continued to get comments and questions about them after that. The shiny headband will attract fingerprints of course, but they're only really noticeable if you look closely anyway. The build quality is fantastic. The hinges lock solidly, the band adjusts well and doesn't pinch. I can wear these for long periods with no issue. The foam earcups are very comforable and the leatherette finish is lovely. The cable is thick, the L shaped connector is a nice touch and is well built, and I find the remote works well, and because it's a bit bigger, it's easier to change volume/play/pause than with some headphones.

When it comes to the audio, let me start with things that some people might not enjoy about the Beats. They do leak a little bit of sound, when they're at full pelt. Nothing major, but it might annoy a fellow train passenger if you're at full volume. Isolation is very good though - you won't hear that much of the outside world.

The soundstage is not flat. The headphones do bring out the bass without question, but it is NOT overwhelming, and the sound as a whole is pretty well balanced. You can hear highs and mids without trouble -- I've certainly heard parts of songs I didn't know existed before! It's a vast improvement on my pair of in-ear earphones, which I'd previously thought were pretty good.

If like me, you've been debating about getting a pair of these for a while, just take the plunge. The only thing you'll regret is you didn't get them before now!
on 5 November 2014
Beats headphones seem to attract polarised views. Some people love them; some people hate them.

I have used many different makes and types of headphones over the years. Nearly all of them seem to have some type of drawback - don't fit in my ears securely; uncomfortable; flimsy cable that tangles; poor bass response; harsh sound that jars after a while; fiddly controls; etc.

For me, these Beats headphones are simply the best I have ever used. From the moment you see the box, you get a high expectation that inside is a quality product. And there is. The headphones are inside a soft carry case. Some people have said they would prefer a hard case. I find the soft case is just fine. The headphones unfold with a satisfying 'click'. There is plenty of adjustment for different size heads. The cable is colour coordinated with the headphones, which is a nice touch. It is thicker than many other headphones so it is less likely to get all tangled up. It is a very decent length. It plugs into both the audio device and the headphones themselves with 3.5mm jack connectors. So the cable can be easily replaced if it breaks.

They are on (not over) ear. Other headphones of this type can push hard on the ears and become uncomfortable after a while. These headphones are really comfortable. The ear pads are very soft and grip with enough pressure to keep them securely in place but not so much as to be uncomfortable. I find that after a while I almost forget I have them on.

The sound quality is fantastic. You get a rich, full sound with a very solid but not overpowering bass. Some people say that they have heard new things in familiar songs when using these headphones. I have always been sceptical about this. Well I am wrong. Some familiar songs seem to have a new fresh feel and I am hearing things I have never heard before. This has really surprised me.

The in line control is a decent size and has a nice feel. It is very easy to use and you don't have to move your fingers around to make sure you are pressing the right button.

These headphones are not cheap but then I believe you get what you pay for. You are getting a high quality product with great sound and a comfortable fit. Just go and buy a pair, sit back and enjoy the music!
on 30 December 2014
I got these headphones for Christmas. I had read many reviews and I wasn't sure if I would get along with these headphones. I wear glasses so some headphones hurt my ears but these have been really comfy. I was also very impressed with the sound of these. I don't like a lot of bass with my music but with these headphones every song I have listened to from many different genres has been very clear. They also look very smart and well made to. I also find that only having one cable on the side of the earphones makes them a lot more comfy because the cable isn't round my neck getting tangled. They also change the song and volume from the cable on my iPhone 5s and take calls. Overall very happy with these headphones and would recommend to all my friends.
on 31 December 2014
These headphones are brilliant much better then the old model. I love the colour and design and I like that they more secure to the head. Another feature I like is that the cable is on the left hand side as I mostly have my I pod in my left pocket and that it doesn't get all tangled up.
As for the sound it's amazing you can hear every note, instrument and the vocal come though clearly and the base is much more even out and the mid and lower ranges are much improved. You can hear parts of the music you never heard before. These work on all sorts of genres of music. Take no notice of any negative review anyone who thinks is are not good headphones are wrong. They the best I ever brought I would recommend these to any music fan.
on 1 January 2015
Great build quality very comfortable perfect clear crisp sound love deep rich plenty of bass perfect for dance ,pop music genres .
Got these at a great price £100 so 5 stars for value retail at £169 full price probably would not have purchased them .
Was considering the AKG Y50's selling at £50 but they sound too tinny compared to the Beats cans guess i was disappointed considering the rave review they got from What Hifi .
Overall the Solo2's are a big improvement over the older Beats Solo Monochromatic Headphones both in sound quality and build quality ear pads much better quality more padding better finished and headband is much studier as are the folding hinges .
The shiny Plastic headband surprisingly does not show fingermarks which i thought they would ,really pleased with purchase and bargain price .
on 5 February 2015
Absolutely amazing quality, very very pleased with my headphones, A word of warning though, if you put the headphones on and the sound is only coming out of one side, swap the plugs around the other way, I thought my first pair were broken when recieved but I just had the wires plugged in the wrong way round...
on 19 January 2015
I recently purchased the Solo 2 headphones as a birthday present for my niece. She loves the sound of these headphones, and they have become very addictive to listen to music on. I must say that I enjoyed plenty of listening on these Solo 2's myself, and I am used to some very high end studio headphones from the likes of Sennheiser, Sony and Focal. The sound quality on the Solo 2 is simply stunning, very different to my initial thoughts on early Beats headphones. The sound is very clear with quite an exciting tunefull bass. They have excellent stereo separation for the size of the cans, and the treble end is very smooth and never sounds shrilly or harsh. They look smart and feel pretty solid in both fit and finish. Worth every penny!
on 25 November 2014
Awesome headphones. I was really hesitant about getting these headphones. I've never payed over 50 quid for a pair before and didn't know if the price justified paying that type of money. But from the moment you get them, they're so worth it. I listen to a multitude of music, from heavy metal to rap, EDM to classical - a little bit of everything! Safe to say, these headphones do well with everything I listen to. Especially the bass heavy type of music.

I use these at home when I'm browsing the internet, in the gym, in college and just about everywhere else. People like to hate on these headphones, and I'm not entirely sure why. Buy yourself a pair, you won't regret it.
on 31 January 2015
Please see my unboxing / review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix03NyvSeH4

The Beats Solo 2 headphones are a fantastic looking and sounding headphone.

Gone is the iffy build quality and overly bassy sound of the original Solos.

The new design is sleeker and less in-your-face than before, the build is much improved.

The sound, though still with plenty of bass is a lot more balanced meaning these are suited to a greater variety of music rather than just hip-hop and R&B.

Just wish they came with a hard case like the Studios rather than the soft case that's quite a tight fit.

Recommended,

Furball.
review image
on 12 April 2015
I recieved these headphones a few days ago, they must offer been on offer as I purchased the wireless pair of Solo2 for cheaper than the wired pair! I purchased them for 149.99 which I think is a fantastic price.

In terms of sound quality there fantastic, well for me atleast. I have had numerous sound systems/headphones from a wide range of brands and these are the best pair ive had so far, I actually sold my Bose QC3 to purchase a pair of these.

Sound quality is very good, I listen to a lot of rap/club/hip hop music so I like a deep bass, and it certainly has a presence in these headphones. But it still doesnt take away from the sound clarity you get through them. They have got the balance perfect.

The wireless pairing is quick and efficent. I have had no trouble pairing my iPhone and PC to them. The charge lasts well, I havent actually had to charge them up again yet after a few days use.

The fit is very comfortable , much improved on the last Solo's and they dont have to much weight to them, the build quality is fantastic. Everything feels robust and looks as if it will last.

If you want good sound, long lasting and stylish headphones, id certainly consider these.