Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's

4.8 out of 5 stars2,931
Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.99

on 7 November 2014
I first heard Sam Smith by accident when I changed channels and Later with Jools Holland was still on. I thought his voice was incredible and I wanted to hear more, (he was singing 'Stay With Me). The next time I saw him was on The Graham Norton Show when he sang his second single, 'I'm Not the Only One'. I was very impressed and decided to buy his album. I looked on Amazon and saw the CD's, but then I noticed that I could get it on vinyl, which I prefer. Also, if I bought it on vinyl, it said that I would receive a free MP3 version. The album was delivered quickly and packaged well. I looked on my computer and the MP3 version was already there.
I would recommend 'In The Lonely Hour' to anybody who appreciates a rare talent like Sam Smith, one of the best voices I have heard in many years and a refreshing change from all the tuneless songs that can be heard on the radio at any time of day.
33 comments|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 June 2014
This is probably the best album I have bought since 21 (Adele) this man's music is mesmerising. I love the whole album, each and every song is unique. His voice has such a fantastic range and I can't stop playing In The Lonely Hour. It's a truly wonderful album from a gifted artist.
on 4 June 2014
Absolutely love this album. Sam's voice is stunning. There's not a bad song on the album. Love love love it!
on 26 May 2014
It's so refreshing to hear a true male vocalist rather than the usual pop voices that are around today. Sam is a talented singer, versatile and can easily slip into different genres like all the great male vocalists can. But his songwriting skills are also impressive for someone so young.

Highlight of the album is the soulful, pain infused Stay With Me - it's one of those songs where you stop whatever you are doing to listen to it. Also Restart harks back to the funky R&B dance pop of the 80s, a real treat for the summer!

On a side note, not great from Amazon - only 10 tracks are available on the cloud. Not impressed!
on 4 November 2014
I will be honest and say that i don't always give great reviews and some of my opinions are exactly what i think and am blunt in saying it is either total rubbish or absolutely brilliant.
This album by Sam Smith is in my mind a fantastic album and has a great feel to every song.
This is the sort of album i could put on in the car and go through every track without skipping any out.
My only worry for Sam Smith is could he be just a one album wonder as i hope not unlike James Blunt.
Anyway a really good album in this sphere and one of the best of the year so far
thoroughly enjoyed listening to it!!
on 4 June 2014
Excellent soulful voice and powerful lyrics
No doubt a new worldwide superstar.
The Best Album of 2014 released to date.
on 30 December 2014
I feel as if I should review this album because of how wrong I was about Sam Smith.
After hearing Money on my Mind, I felt that Sam would be the type of artist that I would love and he would go places. Previously featuring on tracks such as Latch with Disclosure. He seemed to be going in the music route that I enjoyed. However, he then released Stay With Me, which I enjoyed and could sing along to but it wasn't really my cup of tea as far as music genre goes. I then enjoyed his next single I'm Not The Only One but again it wasn't my cup of tea. So I decided to give the album a pass. However, a few months ago, a friend of mine purchased the album and recommended it to me a lot so I decided to listen and I was blown away. A lot of the songs are quite slow and intimate songs that clearly showcase Sam's emotions and some of the songs do get me quite emotional. For example, Lay Me Down is a song about Sam's grandmother passing away (I believe) which is heart breaking but it is also a beautiful song which showcases Sam's powerful voice.
After hearing the album, I decided to join my friend for Sam's 'In The Lonely Hour Tour' next year in Spring (may I add that he had to create a whole new tour because his one in October this year sold out so fast!) I am very excited to see Sam's performance. Favourites on the album are Restart and Like I Can (which I may add are more.. upbeat songs.) and Lay Me Down which is a more slow song. But they are all beautiful.
on 5 June 2014
I almost didn't buy this as I thought Sam Smith's almost falsetto style might grate after a few tracks, but I'm happy to say I was wrong. Although the overall theme of the album seems to be unrequited love, each track offers something different and has you humming the tunes long after you've stopped listening. Highly recommend.
on 6 September 2015
Some albums you sometimes pass by then you hear it via a second chance - just saw Sam on BBC red button and saw the light - the version I got is not the dance album mixes but love the stripped back version of In The Lonely Hour - a strong performance with fantastic vocals.

I almost passed it by due to hearing what Stay With Me was all about - and thought it might quell the spirit - in fact I found it quite the opposite - I love playing it late at night when you can lay back - relax and take it all in.

Glad I've come to the party Sam

I will be interested in the what transpires next!

Sams fans if you like this try.....

Van Stephenson - 'Suspicious Heart' (samples available at his Amazon page) with download available - sadly gone and missed - but an amazing album that deserves to be heard and made into a million seller! - Try Suspicious Heart and Desperate Hours as a starting point - hope it goes viral as they say!

Enjoy

Hope you like it
on 3 March 2015
LOVE THIS ALBUM ALSO READ NEW FIRST BIOGRAPHY ON SAM'S MATE AND RIVAL - PAOLO NUTINI:COMING UP EASY. JUST OUT ON AMAZON PAPERBACK AND KINDLE.
review image review image