Transcend JetDrive Lite 130 128GB Storage Expansion Card
Size: 128GBStyle Name: MacBook Air 13" (2010-2015)Change
Price:£63.98+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 4 April 2015
As far as the product is concerned, it's excellent and it's quite quick (at least read speeds). Expect write speeds to be just into the double-digits of MBs per second but In everyday use, you won't notice any speed issues whatsoever. If you're buying one of these, you are probably doing so to basically turn your SD-card-slot into a solid-state expansion bay, hence using it to install your programs, etc. on it. It essentially turned my 256 GB of Macbook Pro storage to a total 384GB - just enough to allow me use my Macbook Pro as my desktop-replacement. Physically, it sits flush, thanks to Transcend multitude of models of the same card with tailored dimensions (make sure you order the correct one for your model and model year).

If you're purchasing this product, I will assume you are trying to do the same - maximizing your built-in laptop storage for as little outlay as possible.

Caveats:

You need to be aware of some limitations. Initially the JetDrive card is formatted as MS-DOS/FAT so copying, etc. is very slow. So the first thing that needs to be done is to format the card as Mac Journalled via Disk Utility - allowing it to reach it's full speed potential.

Also, the JetDrive card will need to be inserted perfectly into the Mac's SD slot. Even the *slightest* of smallest gaps will plague you with constant Mac "Disk Not Ejected Properly" messages every once in a while, even though you didn't do anything to jar it. Pushing it in with your thumb won't fix the error from reoccurring either. Removing the card completely (which is a test of patience and nails as it's hard to remove - use a lot of gentle rocking) and reinserting it properly is the only way to get rid of these messages for good. For this reason, I recommend you *never* remove the card once you have it inserted well. If you need to access another SD card from time-to-time - buy a cheapo USB card reader - maybe one that doubles as a keychain fob.

Bear in mind that the Mac sees the JetDrive simply as an inserted SD card, which means it will not be seen as a *drive*. Had it been seen as a drive, it would have been possible to RAID array it with your existing drive (using Disk Utility) to turn into one large lump of storage. That's not a fault with the JetDirect, just an OS-limitation. Still this doesn't negate the use or the need of this JetDrive card by any means.

As a lot of Mac software *insist* on installing on to the boot disc or disc in general, this won't allow most programs to be *natively* installed on the SD card. However, there are ways around this. You can install the software on your boot drive (as usual) and then move it's application and/or data manually to the JetDrive. Once moved to the JetDrive, then create an *alias* (right click and select 'create alias') and place that alias where the data/application was on the boot drive. This way, you free space on your precious boot drive for other junk and it launches as expected.

Another useful tip is that iLife applications (such as iTunes, iPhoto, etc. and other programs that use data like Photoshop, etc.) allow you to specify where the data is kept, thus enabling you to make use of your JetDrive. Using this method, I was able to move my entire music and photo library to the JetDrive as well.

Also, if you use Parallels or other Windows-virtualization software, you can set or move the virtual disk image onto the JetDrive instead allowing for more of your primary storage to be freed.

In short, I wholeheartly recommend the JetDrive. It's faster and cheaper than it's microSD competitors (when comparing to the 128GB capacity) and does exactly what is needed - free up your storage. Especially if your Mac is a Macbook Air or Macbook Pro Retina where your cost-effective upgrade options are budget-limited.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 18 July 2014
When I bought my nice new MacBook Air, I started by buying a Nifty MiniDrive. And it's good! But it's limited, because the largest microSD cards currently available only support 64GB. My main purpose in buying an SD drive was to back up my main system using Time Machine. And with just 64GB, my Nifty very soon ran out of capacity.

Then I saw the Transcend. And instantly bought it. The 128GB of space is more than enough for most of my files; I don't bother backing up stuff on Dropbox, OneDrive or Soonr, because that's already synced to remote servers. And the Transcend cooperates effortlessly with Time Machine, which is a big relief. What's more, it's a slightly more practical design than the Nifty, in that the 'cap' that seals the drive into the slot is relatively easy to pull out with a fingernail – the Nifty needs a special tool (actually, a pin or twisted paperclip would probably do, but still).

So: very happy with it. No, I've no idea what the data transfer speeds are – I'm just happy it gets on well with Time Machine.
on 6 June 2014
Even though it is specifically designed for Macbooks, after measuring the SD card slot in the Zenbook UX31E and realising it had the same dimensions, I decided to give this model a try. Like most two year old ultrabooks, the Zenbook came with a non replaceable 128GB ssd disk which is nowhere near enough for today's usage patterns (hd video, music, photos, documents...).

I give this 64GB card 5* for being relatively fast as an external storage option, for fitting perfectly in the SD card slot and for its price. Sure there are cheaper generic micro sd card adapters but none will fit as well as this one while still being easy to remove without needing any special tools.
on 24 September 2014
I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro with 256 gb internal flash drive. I wanted to increase the capacity and the choices were Nifty and Trascend. Nifty apparently has the drive which sits flush with MacBook and you need a micro sd card with it. However nifty has not produced one for MacBooks from late 2013 so I went for this.

First of all, the black base you see in the picture is the only part that does not go into the card slot. So in essence it does sit flush against my MacBook and it's nice to have this because you can take it out when you need it. Otherwise it's a snug fit. Nifty apparently goes all in but you need a special key to take it out. Plus it apparently has a red light on the pictures. This one looks sleek with the aluminium MacBook.

When I plugged it in. It was ready to go. However it hung up when I started writing on it. I just reformatted it to Mac OS Journaled (hope I got that right) and after that it has worked well. I have transferred my iTunes library and my picture to this card (I didn't realise it was more than 60 gb) and plan to use it for that purpose only. So far no issues when I open my iTunes and picture library on MacBook. And let's hope it lasts.

In future there will be a time when this too will fill up but that's a long way away. Then I may buy something similar to nifty because you can then choose your micro sd card capacity as you wish (you must have heard of the 800 dollar new 512 gb card..:). For now, this is ideal.
on 12 November 2014
I bought this for my mac to plug open SD-card hole and give more space same time :D Very satisfied, hopefully lasts longer than some SD-cards and do not die without warning...

I've put my photo library to card so my SSD is available for more applications.

I recommend to install Transcend JetDrive Toolbox so when entering sleep mode, card unmounts automatically and mac can go to "deep sleep".
on 29 June 2014
Spotted this on Macrumors news feed a few weeks ago and couldn't believe my luck.
I have a 256Gb SSD in my MBA, but I filled it about 6 months ago and was already using a 64Gb card in the SD card slot for extra storage, which obviously sticks out and is prone to damage from knocks.

When installed, the JetDrive sits almost perfectly flush - just about 1mm proud of the case - enough to get a fingernail under each side when you need to remove it - which is obviously a bit trickier than a normal SD card which you can grip easily. The Acme sleeve I keep my MBA in is tight fitting, but it never catches on it.

I have my iTunes library (around 50Gb) on it like other reviewers here, but I also have my Windows XP disk image for VMWare Fusion (around 30Gb). Brilliant to be able to keep it separate from my main hard drive.
If you use a Windows disk image with Fusion or Parallels regularly, this is a great place to keep it.

Any downsides? Well, you do lose your SD card slot! So if you regularly use SD cards for photo / digital video imports, this might be an annoyance, because as mentioned above, it is a lot trickier to remove the flush JetDrive from the slot compared to a normal SD card. The easiest solution I found is if you have a later MBA with USB3 ports, just get a USB SD card adaptor - under £10 to buy, saves unplugging the JetDrive every time and transfers are nearly as fast - job done.
on 15 June 2014
I got this to store my iTunes library somewhere other than my ssd without the sacrifice of having to plug it in when i wanted to play music, or sync my phone.

I was always juggling 10-20GB of free space on my macbook air.

This is roughly as fast as the spec say, ~95MB read.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 June 2014
These expansion cards are fantastic for anyone with a Retina MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, where upgrade options are virtually non-existent.

The JetDrive Lite cards are specific to not only to the model of laptop, but also screen size and year of production. So make sure you are buying the right card for your machine as they all have different SD card slot depths.

This card is for the latest (at the time of writing) 15" rMBP (the Late 2013 model). It's a perfect fit for this machine with a 1-2mm bit that sticks out to allow removal. It does not sit flush like other expansion cards (like the Nifty MiniDrive), however, it doesn't appear prone to falling out or being knocked. It looks very neat and I'm confident there will be no problems in terms of its design.

Once installed, you are ready to go. I did not need to format the card and started copying my data to it. Write speeds aren't amazing, certainly not as fast as USB3, but decent enough. Read speeds seem to be fine. I ran a 1080p HD video from the card without any issues.

When rebooting or waking from sleep, the card is already mounted so it's exactly like having a second drive installed on your laptop.

There are many ways you could use this card, as a Time Machine for example, however I've decided to store my DropBox/OneDrive/Copy folders on it so everything is automatically backed up to the cloud. If you have the cash, then the 128GB card is definitely worth getting.

A really good item to have, but as I said before, double-check you are getting the right card for your machine.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 November 2014
Could be faster but does its job of being invisible very well.
review image
on 21 August 2014
Transcend Customer Service emailed me today to say that the 128gb version of the JetDrive 330 SD card for the 13" retina Macbook Pro (late 2012 to 2013 models) should be available from Amazon UK from about the end of August 2014. That version is already available in the USA. At 128gb this wil be ideal as an onboard Time Machine 'solo' or 'double' back-up...

I will buy from Amazon as soon as it is available here in the UK.

UPDATE

I now have the card and have mounted it in my 13" retina MacBook Pro. Very easy to use but remember to format the card as a normal Mac Journaled format if you only plan to use it in a Mac. Using it to add 128gb storage capacity in addition to the 256gb onboard the MacBook, making 384gb in total.

I decided not to use this SD drive as a Time Machine drive as I also bought a Buffalo 1TB MiniStation Thunderbolt to act as a partitioned drive for (a) a second 500gb Time Machine drive plus (b) a 500gb Carbon Copy Cloner drive. My primary Time Machine drive is a 1TB USB 3Seagate BackUp drive.

Very satisfied with this 128gb SD product and may well explore other items from the Transcend product range.