Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 11 June 2014
I was lucky enough to see a preview screening of this film about The Dunlop Dynasty of road racers and oh my god I was blown away! This is honestly one of the most emotional and exhilarating sports documentaries I have ever seen. These Road Racers take their lives in their hands every time they race...and they race a lot every year. Some of the footage is incredible (200mph racing on narrow country roads). The talking heads are brilliant too, you get a real insight into the behind the scenes set up of road racing champions like Joey and Robert Dunlop and the nice thing is the film also focusses a lot on the new breed of Dunlops coming though the ranks (Michael and William). Both of whom are taking the Road Racing circuit by storm at the moment. Michael has just won 4 of the 5 races he entered in this year's Isle of Man TT...

Seriously, if you enjoyed TT3D: Closer to the Edge you will love this film. If you like motorbikes, if you like motor sport, if you like speed and in all honesty if you just appreciate top level sport - I cannot recommend this documentary enough! It is truly a masterpiece of film making!
22 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2014
I can't speak highly enough of this film. It really has got everything, thrills and spills, drama, and very very emotional. I dragged my wife along to see it and she loved it as well ! Isle of Man here we come !
on 30 May 2014
This is a FANTASTIC film! Documenting two generations of the Dunlops, the film is packed with intense racing scenes, fast bikes and raw emotion which grips you throughout. I would highly recommend this, even if you don't have a lot of knowledge about motor racing. Brilliantly shot and Liam Neeson as a narrator is inspired. Wonderful.
33 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2014
What a brilliant film. Not one to write reviews but, this film deserved it! Adrenalin filled throughout, this is a petrolheads dream film
on 12 June 2014
Loved this film, was lucky to get to see early....my in-laws are from the Isle of Man where TT races are, and I do ride a bike myself, but none of that is relevant - I saw it with 3 friends and also my son, who all loved it. It's an amazing story of the 2 lots of brothers, and the action really keeps you hooked - don't think my eyes left the screen once! Up there with Closer the edge and Rush which I also enjoyed recently.
on 12 June 2014
Draws you in from the start and keeps you there till the end. Gripping stuff. Highly recommend it! When you think of them racing on normal closed roads....unbelievable!
on 13 June 2014
Towards the end, I was actually shaking with emotion. I needed to cry uncontrollably, and was fighting to hold onto some degree of composure. Even if you're not into road racing, it's utterly enthralling.
on 11 June 2014
Caught this earlier in the month and absolutely loved it. Very rare a documentary has had me hooked from beginning to end, but this is an example pf fact being more extraordinary than fiction. A very important film which I hope gets recognised at the BAFTAs this year
on 25 November 2014
I was lucky enough to see this at the cinema and was actually surprised at the number of other people there (in England). I have never sat with a more quiet crowd of people in a cinema in my life, the atmosphere was one of utter respect and at the end as we all left I think most of us had at least a lump in the throat and also maybe a tear in the eye. Joey Dunlop was my childhood hero, when Robert lost his life I turned my back on road-racing. This film made me look at the events of that weekend in a completely different light. Whether you are into motorcycle road racing or not, I defy you not to be moved by this film. Personally I think this is much better TT3D, this is more about the people than the speed.

I watched the blue-ray recently and was equally moved, I can't comment on the quality only to say that I didn't notice any defects. I haven't been through the bonus features yet.
on 10 November 2014
(Received as a present). A good and uniquely different 'take' that is not quite a 'five-star'. It's all rather moody, subdued and singularly paced for which read: 'pretty slow to get going and not much quicker thereon in'. Liam Neeson's commentary is low-key and just about unobtrusive enough. It ideally compliments the films pace and feel if at times being just a tad tedious in it's mellow, monotone delivery. Road is however beautifully filmed with at times some stunning cinematography, however if you have viewed other traditional documentaries on the subject of road racing there is ultimately little here that is or feels new within the pure racing footage to this reviewer. Conversely though it is fascinatingly 'different' in it's approach and presentation being impressively subtle and very, very intimate and stylish throughout. As such it owes much to the filmmakers art as witnessed in Closer To The Edge, Faster and Senna, this threesome being the ultimate works of the genre in my modest opinion.

Interviews and behind the scenes content, in that order, predominate with less racing footage than I expected, so if you are looking for a mind-blowing action documentary film of full-on racing you might be disappointed as this film is an entirely different animal and should be viewed as such. It is an intimate human portrait of a dynasty and it must be said that at times it's all rather very good indeed but, at other times rather oppressive as it slowly meanders through (as others have commented) with an omnipresent, foreboding aura. A noticeable rationing of any real peripheral content beyond it's core subject does make it feel at times frustratingly claustrophobic with a tunnel-like vision, this to the detriment of a balanced and more enlightened whole. It is as again has been said 'unbalanced' in lacking such context at times, context that I believe would have even further enhanced this truly unique work.

I was very surprised they included footage of Robert's fatal accident albeit from high-up in the aerial coverage. I think this should not have been shown. Yes, the most poignant lead-up from the start and around the lap to the the final milliseconds of the bike going out of control, but no further...

The extras on the DVD are not bad, if not outstanding either. The deleted scenes appealed to me the most; the audience Q&A session which I was looking forward to was all but non-existent once Suzi Perry had finished asking elongated, naive, nebulous, awkward questions to the brothers and John McGuiness. Okay so the brothers are not the most natural guys in the world when it comes to interviews but even so Ms Perry made a real and almost embarrassingly stilted, amateurish hash of the whole thing. Sorry but coming from Yorkshire I guess I speak as I find!

Summing-up: It's different, it's very good, it's major strengths are it's disarming intimacy and it's uniquely distinctive aura, mood and fine cinematography/editing but above all the absolute honesty and courage shown by all whom agreed to pour out their innermost feelings into this ultimately most worthy film. They are ALL heroes.