on 17 September 2014
I ordered this for above my garage door, which is facing the sun for most of the day.

I must say when it arrived I was a little concerned that it might not be suitable, due to its small size. It is not much larger than the palm of your hand, and the lights themselves are 4 tiny little LEDs, which I thought could never produce much light.

I charged it for 3 full days in the lovely blistering sun we have had this September, then mounted it above the garage door.

Darkness fell, and I went out to test it. I was shocked at how much light it produces, it really does outperform for the size of the little LEDs, very impressive. It bathes an area in a nice soft light, plenty enough to see what you are doing coming and going from the garage at nighttime. The LEDs are that bright that they are not comfortable to look directly at when they are on.

So if you are in any doubt as to whether this would do a job for you, I say BUY AWAY, you won't be disappointed.
0Comment39 of 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 October 2014
I have only had this light for a few weeks now so can't comment on how it will last over time. The light was brought to illuminate the path by the side of the house which is quite dark. The inclusion of the PIR and dusk sensor is a plus for the light as it will consume less power during the winter months. So far it has been great and gives plenty of light for about 10 seconds after being activated which is enough for the short walk up the side of the house. I would recommend it for areas where you can't easily get a power connection but want a strong light!
on 14 August 2014
This is a small, neat design which shines brightly with a hard white light constantly. The sensor comes on immediately and efficiently and gives off a bright light for a few seconds. This is enough time to show the way on a path as you walk by, or long enough to get your key in the lock. The design is quite plasticy but is very good value for money and is really a utility design rather than decorative, so it serves its purpose well.
So far it has shone all night even on dull days..although I have only had it in the summer months. I hope it will be as good through the winter.
on 10 November 2014
good, seems to charge even on dull days adjustable sensor would be good
on 24 November 2014
Bought 2 of these to light the driveway. They're quite small so not too conspicuous on the front/side of the house, and do the job very well. Would have given 5 stars if the timer could be adjusted - it's fixed at 10 seconds which is OK but it would be nice to have the option to set slightly longer.
on 25 August 2014
Ordered one of these from the solar centre, can't believe how quickly it arrived. I chose a solar light to replace a powerful security light that was on and off several times a night as people walked down a lane adjacent to my garden, all adding to the cost of my electricity bill. Although the dimensions of the light were given on the web site, I was still surprised how small it was. I was sceptical as I took it out of its box that it wouldn't be up to the job, but I was so wrong. As darkness falls a soft glow is emitted from the unit and when triggered by someone approaching it gives off a very good bright light. As the unit is small it looks smart and unobtrusive, very quick and easy to fit. I am so impressed by this unit that I intend to purchase additional units for use down the garden and on my garage.
0Comment29 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 10 December 2015
 A great little solar light with good light from the little unit.

As others have discovered providing you put this in a good sunny aspect it will perform well. But if placed in a shady area or if days are pretty gloomy performance will suffer. This is only natural because of the small size of the solar panel.

Movement detection is very sensitive which is great and it is well built to withstand the British weather (IP64 rated).

Essentially it performs as it should. However there is just one flaw which has cost the final star.

I reckon at one time these did have a 30 second timer for the light. However somebody probably, rightly, thought that was too long and would pretty quickly eat the battery power.

So the factory must have reduced the timer to 10 seconds and I've noticed that on the Amazon item page in the upper section that time period is correctly quoted.

However, scroll down the page and the incorrect, old, 30 second time is clearly stated.

The trouble is, this 30 second time is also the only time quoted on the item's box and in the instruction leaflet.

To be fair I do think 30 seconds is a bit too long. However, if this is being used as a courtesy light I also think that 10 seconds is a bit too short. You're not exactly showing your visitors much courtesy if you plunge them into darkness after 10 seconds. The probability of you answering the door is also slim in that time and shouting out "Move around a bit if you want some more light!" seems a bit unwelcoming :-)

It's a shame there couldn't have been a modification to give you the choice from 10-30 seconds. The trouble is this throws all other statistics up in the air as I guess the 250 activations possible on the box relates to the 30 second period. In theory as the time is now a third of that we should be looking at up to 750 activations

However whether it's 10 seconds or 30 seconds it's still a good little light and I think the current price (£9.99 at time of writing) is a fair price. I certainly wouldn't want to pay more.

I was sent the light in exchange for an honest, independent review. I have no affiliation with either the manufacturer of the seller. Neither have attempted to influence this review.
on 24 January 2015
This light arrived promptly and produces a good amount of light, however it states it is designed to work in winter, but despite being in a location where it is exposed to sunlight all day, it only works every second or third night.. Not the most reliable.
on 10 October 2015
I've owned many solar powered lights over the years, and most of them are frankly rubbish. this 4 LED light is however except, and even now we are in October and the sun is getting weaker, it still seems to be charging well during the day. Would definitely buy again.

Will be interesting to see how it charges in December, but overall I'm still really pleased with it.
review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 May 2015
I ordered this product, The Solar Motion Welcome Light, to attach to
my front porch outer wall, to give visitors awareness of two steps
that can be difficult to see in the dark.
It also lights up the area sufficiently well to allow me to see the
front door keyhole for a few moments when we have been out at night.

It comes in a small box with two Rawl Plugs and two screws for fixing
to an outer south facing wall, or the area where it will pick up the
most sunlight.

When fully charged, it comes on when it detects motion and I find that
it works well.
The only downside can be that if it is breezy or very windy, and you
have tall shrubs or bushes near by, it may light up when no one is
actually there. I make this point as an observation rather than a
criticism, as that seems to happen with all motion sensor lights that
we have had over the years.
It is small, compact and does what it says in the advert.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse