• 48:13

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 24 June 2014
As the title of my review suggests, I'm still not sure on this album. By the looks of it, I am one of the few people who though that 'Velociraptor' was actually their best effort since 'Kasabian' so was hoping that they'd go one more and finally produce the ideal successor to their brilliant debut.

Having listened to the album in full about a dozen times now, I can't figure out whether I should be rating '48:13' higher or not. It does have some cracking tunes but is also really let down by some absolute naff songs and (in one case in particular) terrible 'parts' of songs.

For me the really good consists of Bumblebee, Treat, Explodes, Bow and S.P.S. Then I'd stick Glass and Clouds in the 'listenable' section. Glass being great until that god awful rap outro, I'm not even a hater of the genre but it's just so cheesy and clichéd. Why couldn't they just have had a musical outro???

I'm probably going to go against the grain here but Doomsday, Eez-eh and Stevie are just not very good. Stevie starts well enough but I think the chorus is too Kasabian by numbers. Whilst for me, the interludes don't really serve any kind of purpose. Remove them from your iTunes library and the album doesn't suffer as a whole in my opinion.

Looking at the tracklisting, maybe it's because a couple of my least favourite tracks (along with Interludes) are at the start of the album and as such I find it hard for the album to gather any consistency. It's certainly not a disaster in the way the Eez-eh threatened as a 1st single, but neither is it the band's defining moment as Serge suggested in the lead up to their biggest ever gigs.
99 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 12 June 2014
I have been a Kasabian fan from the beginning, and I have loved all their albums. I pre ordered 48:13 and when I saw them perform Bumblebeee on Jools Holland I couldn't wait. I am not disappointed, I love all the tracks on this album. Yes eez-eh is a catchy electronic track, and as the first single, it will sell a few extra albums from people who would probably never have thought of buying a Kasabian album before. People who like the bouncy dance beat and may expect the rest of the album to be the same. Wrong! The rest of the album is completely different to eez-eh. clever marketing ploy though. My personal favourite is S.P.S a song Serge wrote for Tom about them growing up together and everything they have achieved over the years. A lovely bromance song. Bumblebeee is a great rockin track, and I couldn't get Explodes out of my head the first time I listened to it, along with Doomsday and Bow. I could go through all the tracks but that would make it too 'eez-eh' for people, I suggest you 'Treat' yourselves and buy the album, have a 'Glass' or two and enjoy. (sorry couldn't help it!)
on 9 June 2014
When we all heard 'Eez-Eh' 1st being played on radio 1 I'm sure I wasn't the only person thinking 'what have they done!?' The song is definitely a grower and a catchy tune! But you can't judge the new album on just one song.

When I heard 'Bumblebee' that's when I thought 'this album is going somewhere!' I started to realise the album won't be a flop lol

Like the 1st album I like the short interludes in between songs, I can't decide what my favourite songs are, they change so much, I was hooked on 'Explodes' slow synthetic start into a deep guitar riff and mega synth finish! Didn't expect them to do a song sounding like that and the lyrics are decent too.

It's not often I like all the songs in an album but I do with 48:13, their hard work has paid off and it seems their year break have made them better and even bigger!

I still say my favourite album from them is West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum but that's just personal preference! This album is definitely better than their pervious one 'Velociraptor!'

Nice to see the boys back to their best and on top form, looking forward to seeing them live later in the year, well done lads! Ooooosh!!
on 12 February 2016
Kasabian's 5th studio album, released in 2014, finds the Leicester lads in sprightly form; guitarist Sergio Pizarro writes all the music and lyrics on 48:13 and puts the emphasis on a highly percussive, electronic sound which is rather wearing in places although it does work pretty well on the likes of 'Glass' and 'Explodes'. Kasabian are generally at their best when sticking to their home territory of solid rock with 'Bumblebeee' definitely worthy of mention as well as the superb 'Clouds' which, for me' is the highlight of this collection. The closing track 'S.P.S' is a lovely way of rounding things off - as other reviewers have suggested '48:13' is very much a curate's egg in terms of quality but, for me, this is well worth investing in at a decent price.
on 9 June 2014
I was really disappointed with Velociraptor, but I've been listening to this album for a week now and it doesn't disappoint. There's such a funky beat running right through this album, that you can't help but to sing along to, regardless of some iffy lyrics.

Eez-eh, bumblebeee and stevie may be brilliant, cloud-pleasing singles, but it’s tracks like bow and treat that really stand out for me. On first listen the album seems to sag in the middle, but after a few plays tracks like doomsday, glass and clouds are growers. There’s not a duff track on the album apart from the 3 filler tracks, but I guess 45:00 wouldn’t be such an unusual title...
VINE VOICEon 23 July 2014
Boringly titled after its rather conservation play length, this eye-achingly pink album is Leicester rock band Kasabian’s fifth album. Described by the band as ‘stripped back’ and ‘bare’ this is really only in comparison to their previous albums – this is not an acoustic album and is far less of a departure than you may have been led to believe.

On my first listen I was a little disappointed after having recently listening to all their other albums. But I stuck it in the car and have been listening to it on my journeys to and from work and sure enough I now think it is a good ‘un!

Opening track “(shiva)” may as well not exist and just lures you into turning up the volume before the first proper track.

Strangely misspelt track “Bumblebeee” is a bombastic hedonistic mosh pit anthem which reminds this old buzzard a little of PWEI more rock orientated numbers.

“Stevie” is a standard chorus-driven singalong Kasabian track with a insy winsy little bit of Elastica thrown in and reliant on Tom Meighan’s exaggerated vocals to carry it through to its rolling crescendo of an ending with opening cello sounding string sounds used at the opening fading in to bookend the song.

“Doomsday” is very up-tempo and poppy, again reliant on a catchy chorus and the most similar to older tracks. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was released as a single in the future and with a great rhythm guitar part would do well at an indie orientated dance venue – if such a thing still exists in this day and age outside the confines of my bedroom. If I was pushing the ‘sounds like’ envelope to the limit I guess it sounds a bit like the track that Cast might make if they dropped acid, took some speed and travelled to the future on the Venga Bus after recording ‘Sandstorm’.

“Treat” has got a good thumping crunchy bassline and again reminds me of Primal Scream, and while being predominantly a rock track sounds like Eurythmics, Ultravox or Snap (of ‘The Power’ fame) in latter stages. That’s one of the things I like the most about Kasabian is the fusion of musical styles to form a greater whole.

“Glass” is a little disappointing – I don’t like the lyrics all that much and although I liked the spoken section the first couple of times I now find I am pressing the track advance button to move onto track 8. Instrumentally it sounds a little like William Orbit in places or Orbital which is not a bad thing, but I’m not that struck on the vocals either. I’d like to hear an isolated version of the track with no voices on it at all as I think it’s a good composition.

The sequencer sound on “Explodes” starts like a BBC Micro loop and Eighties sounding synth noises abound, including a little Art of Noise low note voice synthesis. The track is rather plodding until the bass guitar riff kicks in after the vocals have finished with about a minute to go and then the track actually builds nicely to an oddly muted ending given the name and theme of the track.

“(levitation)” wins the award for the second most pointless track on the album after “(shiva)”.

“Clouds” is a happy sounding tune with a retro guitar riff that hooks into your brain like a parasite and I’m sure is buried somewhere in my music collection. There’s some Primal Scream in here again and even a little Kula Shaker and Oasis.

The bizarre no-excuses dive straight into much higher 120BPM track “Eez-eh” is a signal to wind the car window down, turn it up and drive it like you stole it. Based on Daft Punk darling Georgio Moroder’s ‘magic tempo’ it reminds me of Black Grape at their best and makes me want to swap my car for an Astra with black alloys, tinted windows, fluffy dice, blue under-light and a body kit, and drive around punching one hand in the air. Their performance of this track on ‘Later with Jools…’ was brilliant and summed up their approach to most of their big tunes – I think they know they’re not the world’s best musicians but they want to entertain and have a laugh doing it. So let them.

“Bow” is another in a long line of ‘take a bow’ orientated tunes – I can think of at least two others by Rihanna and Leona Lewis with similar sentiment. I can imagine this was written as a closing track for their live performances. It’s a strange concoction – there’s some ‘Easy Lover’ sounding cymbal/bass/drum ‘punches’ mixed in with the usual chugging tune, something that sounds like a clap machine and a bit of piano.

“S.P.S” is down-beat again and has some Beatle-esque singing, deep note strings and woo-woo’s to which people can wave their lighters at Glastonbury. S.P.S stands for Scissors, Paper, Stone which is odd because I’m sure most people call it Paper, Scissors, Stone...
on 7 March 2016
I absolutely love this album, and play it from start to finish quite a bit. I'd heard 1 track on the radio, listened to it in the Amazon music player, and decided I needed to get the real thing. As much as I like the convenience of streaming / playing mp3s, there's nothing quite like the joy of playing a whole album as the artist intended... especially when pretty much every track is great.

I never used to like Kasabian, thinking they sounded too much like bits of other bands, but this album just rocked me, it's that simple, buy it :)
on 31 December 2014
Fabulous. I was at the summer solstice but the dvd really brings the atmosphere, people, music and the whole experience together. Could watch on repeat. Shame it didn't come just as dvd as already had 48:13 on cd
on 19 July 2014
I don't know why they are often described as a 'lads rock band' - great appeal to a wide audience, especially after Glastonbury 2014. They are like good wine - they keep getting better and are a great live act. Not sure that this does them justice - it's a mix of styles and some strange forays into other people's music. If you're a fan you'll wear it....
on 9 June 2014
This could potentially be the best Kasabian album to date, certainly the first that doesn't seem to have any filler tracks (minus the actual filler songs). Maybe in terms of production on songs like 'bumblebeee' I would prefer the guitar to be louder and the 'da-daaah's' removed or said in a less p*ss annoying manner, but aside from that this album has some great tracks, stand outs being 'bumblebee', 'stevie' and 'bow'. That said a let down is the lyrics for this album, which in some cases are just awful. I'd rather listen to 12 songs about bar fights again than lyrics about, suits being the enemy of humanity.

If you are an avid Kasabian fan, it is debatable weather or not you will like this album. If you liked 'Veloceraptor!' then I would guess you would like this album as it is most definatley linked, infact so much so that 'Switchblade Smiles' and the title track of that album would fit perfectly if they were on 48:13. If you thought the 2011 album was a step down from WHPLA and are wanting to return to indie stoner rock, then I am sorry you may be disapointed.