Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm a firm convert to sonic toothbrushes but I needed to upgrade my Braun slim because I can't get hold of the brush heads any more. I wasn't expecting Philips Sonicare to impress me, but it did. Given that I am already using a fairly high spec sonic toothbrush I just expected more of the same but, I really can feel the difference with the Philips Sonicare. My teeth really do feel surprisingly cleaner--similar to the clean you get after a scale and polish at the dentist. Whether this is to do with the design of the brushhead or the speed of the toothbrush I can't tell.

Please don't be put off by the initial weird tingle you feel when you first use a sonic toothbrush. I wasn't expecting it because I already use one but did happen. It only happens on the first occasion of use though.

Info on the Amazon website states:'In order to get the most out of your Sonicare's battery life, it is essential that you charge it for 24 hours before first use.'There is no mention of this in the instructions as far as I can see and given that my toothbrush worked out of the packet I was tempted to start using it. However, is obviously important to charge it first even if it appears to be working.

There are two sizes of brush heads: standard and mini. My pack contained the standard head which is quite small, so the mini must be really tiny.

These are the pluses:
* It charges silently. (Much quieter than the Braun which buzzed and kept my spouse awake in the next room.)
* When you're using it, it is much quieter. Just a low hum.
* I love the small brush head. It feels really gentle if your gums are receding.
* The small brush seems to make it easier to get round all of the tooth surface.
* As with most of these toothbrushes the bristles fade when it's time to replace the head.
* It comes with a little clear plastic cap which you stick over the head for the sake of hygiene.

Could do better:
* Along with many other electric toothbrushes, this one cuts out after a couple of minutes when it thinks you're finished brushing. This is slightly annoying, but all you have to do is press the button to get it going again. (There is just one speed setting.) The compulsory time works okay for me if I do 2 min for the top set and then 2 min for the bottom set.
* It's not as lightweight as the Braun slim, but that is particularly lightweight.
* The 'whitening claim' on the box put me off initially because it sounded like it might be abrasive. However, the claim is simply that it makes teeth whiter than a manual toothbrush would if used for the same amount of time. So, pretty meaningless, really. I haven't noticed any dramatic whitening effect but I've got a feeling this is just a tagline to try and give the toothbrush a usp.
*Not sure what the difference is from the Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Rechargeable Toothbrush which is half the price at time of writing. Must be the head, but it seems a lot for a head upgrade. It seems cheaper to buy the HX6511 handle cheaply and a pack of four Diamond Clean heads...Philips Sonicare HX6064/26 Diamond Clean Brush Heads Pack of 4 Correct me if I'm wrong, someone...

There are a few negatives:
* The charging stand is not wall mountable but I only need to charge it once a month, so this is no big problem.
* The Philips Sonicare Replacement brush heads are little pricey at around £23 for a pack of four. Incidentally, the packaging states the handle spec is HX6511. The cheapest I've found is around £5 per head. They are more expensive than Braun heads.
* It's never clear in toothbrush packaging and instructions which replacement brushheads to order. Such a simple thing but why is this not easier to find out, when it it all too easy to accidentally order counterfeit brushheads, never mind compatible ones?
*All you get is the toothbrush, 1 x toothbrush head and a no frills charger.

I've said it before and I'd say it again - I do think that it would be nice if they popped in a couple more brushheads so the whole family can clean their teeth out of the box.

Update 20th June: This morning, I was horrified to find my toothbrush had stopped working. This turned out to be because I had neglected to recharge it since the initial charge up. This means that the brave little toothbrush has kept going since 27 May, on the original charge. That's nearly six weeks.

Update 20th September. For the last month I've been trialling another brand of toothbrush. Yesterday, I had to stop because I could feel a buildup of plaque on my teeth. It was such a relief to switch back to the Philips Sonic. My teeth felt clean again.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After using another brand of electric toothbrush with a rotating head, I tried a Philips Sonicare for the first time last year, was instantly converted and this brush confirms my preference.

In short, it is lightweight, sleek and slender, easy to hold and comfortable to navigate to every area of your mouth. As for effectiveness, I couldn't score it more highly. Although it doesn't have the extra features of my older brush, ie 3 different speed settings, gum mode and stain removal mode, it could be argued that these are not really essential. What it does do is provide my teeth with a very thorough clean leaving my mouth feeling cleaner and fresher than any of the rotating-brushes managed. My teeth don't just feel brushed - they feel polished!

For the first 14 uses, the brush operates in an 'easy start' mode and gradually increases in intensity until it reaches full power which is intended for first-time users to get used to the sensation after switching from a manual brush. For those familiar with electric brushes, the 'easy start' mode can be over-ridden. I used it for the first few times and was pleasantly surprised by how gentle, yet still very effective, it felt.

A timer beeps every 30 seconds to aid brushing each quadrant of the mouth, then it switches off after the recommended minimum of 2-minutes brushing time. The molar surfaces or any stains can then be brushed further, if required.

Replacement heads are readily available and all of the Philips Sonicare range have the same fitting so you can choose the type which suits you best.

The brush claims to remove stains within a week of use. It is certainly very effective at removing light stains and it has noticeably reduced some of the deep stains present around the gumline for the last 30+ years but as even the dentist's polisher can't shift these completely, I can't complain that the Sonicare hasn't wholly removed them either!

This is a brush I would definitely recommend highly. It is more expensive than other types but if you want to enjoy the feeling of really-clean teeth, healthy gums and probably reduced dental bills, then it is a brush I would consider a very worthwhile investment and, having felt its benefits, I would happily recommend it and buy it.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This may not be one of Philips more fully featured Sonicare toothbrushes but it nevertheless produces a typically excellent cleaning result. I have had a number of Philips Sonicare toothbrushes over the years and all have been reliable and effective. This nodel continues in that tradition but is around half the price of my other current model (a Philips Sonicare HX9172/10 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitizer which, while it also includes additional programme features and a handy - though inessential - sanitiser, produces no discernibly better result.

If you are new to electric toothbrushes and are wondering which brand to opt for (as the market is becoming increasingly crowded) I would strongly urge you to try this Philips model first. Historically Sonicare toothbrushes have been significantly dearer than other competitor's models (with good reason in my view) but it now seems that - with this model at least - Philips are bringing their prices more into line with other makes.

Bottom line: if you don't need or want 'all the bells and whistles' this model represents an excellent buy. True, replacement heads still remain an ongoing cost consideration but you should still expect around six months or so usage before having to replace them.

Highly recommended.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the first time I have used an electric toothbrush of any kind and I really wish I had tried one sooner. Within 2 weeks of use I no longer suffer bleeding gums on the inside of my lower teeth - my dentist is delighted! Also, the timer/beeper makes it easier to judge the length of time spent cleaning each quadrant. The first use was a bit of a shock as I did feel my head vibrating and I worried it would aggravate my tinnitus but I got used to it remarkably quickly. All in all a great, effective product.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having used 'normal' (rotating-head) electric toothbrushes for many years now, I did not believe that a sonic one (which uses vibration rather than rotation to clean the teeth) could really be much more effective. I was very wrong. After giving the device an initial 24 hour charge - essential to maximise the life of the battery, please note that, as is commonplace with 'bathroom' devices such as this, it comes supplied with only a shaver plug, so you will need an adaptor if you haven't got a shaver socket available - it was with a little trepidation that I turned it on. The sensation when you first use a sonic brush is difficult to describe, other than to say it really does vibrate your entire head! Bearing this in mind, the Philips Sonicare HX6511/43 brush starts off at a lower intensity than is normal for it, and gradually increases the strength of the vibrations over a fortnight, allowing time for you to get used to it. This can be overridden if you are already accustomed to a sonic brush.

The difference in how clean your teeth feel is quite striking, almost as good as a trip to the dental hygienist. While it is difficult to quantify such things, I do feel that the brush really is having a whitening effect on my teeth. The battery life is extremely long - it lasts about three weeks between charges. The only thing I don't like much is that the brush turns itself off automatically after two minutes, as I like to brush my tongue too after the two minutes of toothbrushing, although this is a minor point and clearly you can just turn the brush back on again.

Definitely worth getting, your dentist will love you for it (or at least torture you less!).
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is my 3rd electric toothbrush and I was reluctant to admit that there would be any improvement on an already top of the range model but I am happy to admit I was wrong.
Firstly this is much lighter than previous models I have used. It is also MUCH less noisy which as I work shifts is a big bonus because the last thing you want is to be making noise at 5am.
The head on this particular toothbrush is considerably smaller than previous models and electric toothbrushes are smaller than a regular one so if this is your first electric toothbrush you may be put off by the small head and see it as insufficient but let me assure you this is not the case. This toothbrush will give you that "dentist clean" feel every single time you use it. It has an automatic timer which cuts out after you have brushed your teeth for a sufficient amount of time something you will learn to time so you can get a fair go over the whole set of your teeth. If this is your first electric toothbrush please resist the temptation to scrub back and forth etc and let this electric toothbrush do all the hard work for you, all you need to do is slowly move the head over your teeth with a slight bit of pressure. TIP: Place a small amount of toothpaste on the brush head then place in your mouth putting the paste against your teeth BEFORE you switch it on otherwise you will get toothpaste all over the place.

In a nutshell electric toothbrushes give you a MUCH better level of oral hygiene and make your mouth feel cleaner and fresher than any regular toothbrush can ever do and THIS particular model is very VERY good indeed.
Top marks and full smiles.
VINE VOICEon 12 June 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love this toothbrush, it just works so well! I was using the Colgate C200 ProClinical Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush prior to the Philips, and I was pretty pleased with that one. On using the Philips, however, I found it to better and gentler.

Let me explain: I had a new crown fitted just over a month ago, and when I used the Colgate toothbrush I found that it just vibrated a bit too much on the crown, making it uncomfortable and giving me horrible thoughts of the crown falling out. I would then have to lift it a bit higher off the tooth when I was brushing the crown, and I took to avoiding the crown after giving it a cursory brush. When I use the Philips there is no such problem, I can't feel any difference between using the toothbrush on the crown or on my other teeth. The ultrasonic vibrations are at a higher frequency and the actual movement of the brush head seems smaller, so it is vibrating more but not moving about as much when compared to the Colgate (I hope that makes sense!)

Another thing I love about the Philips is that it really does help get rid of your stains. Prior to having the crown fitted I was having problems with the faulty tooth, so I had to use Corsodyl mouthwash to help the healing even though the hygienist had specifically told me not to as it gives your teeth terrible stains. After just a week or so of using the Philips the stains are not noticeable, in fact I've just been to the dentist for a check-up and she said my teeth were nice and clean. The Sonicare leaves you with a lovely smooth surface on the teeth, like after being to the dentist.

Compared with the Colgate toothbrush the Philips also has a longer-lasting battery, so I can go over a week without needing to charge it. The indicator light also flashes when it needs charging, unlike the Colgate which gives no warning and just dies on you.

I heard a lot about the Philips Sonicare toothbrush, and I'm pleased to say that it has completely exceeded my expectations. Having had the perfectly good Colgate C200 ProClinical Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush to compare it to, I would say that the Philips is simply a better toothbrush.
VINE VOICEon 2 June 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Have used Oral B electric brushes for decades but this blows them out of the park.

First use -The brush feels like it is tickling your gums whilst emiting a highish( but not unpleasantly so) noise. You just let the brush do all the work making sure it is wet, moving from one area to the next but not pressing down - it seemed to gentle to have any effect but my teeth felt really, really clean and shiny afterwards.

Like all electric brushes you need to charge it up first. It comes with a shaver socket 2 pin lead so you need to have an adapter plug. I wish these were included in such a high spec product. I am also confused as to why they have 2 pin shaver leads as the instructions for electric toothbrushes always advise not charging them in a bathroom.The light on the front of the brush flashes green whilst charging and remains green when charged.

The brush itself is very light. The head pushes on but does not have a fully tight fit ( there was a little gap) which may be an issue for cleaning. The heads are a comparable price withthe oral B ones so no problem there. The light on the front glows green when the unit is on and the brush slows down a bit to timecleaning each quadrant of the teeth. It cuts out when the 1 minute is up. Personally I clean my teeth for a bit longer so I do not really like how the unit switches off - perhaps it will train me to have better habits.

I have only had the brush a week or so and the instructuions say the sonic effects builds up over 15 days when first using so that you get used to it - so I guess by next week I will no longer need to spend 2 minutes brushing and just the recommended one minute.

I think this brush is much superior to my rotating Oral B (top end) brush and am impressed by the switch. I have a particulary troublesome pair of back teeth that almost touch in their centre. Food inevitably gets trapped and usually I feel totally lost without floss. However the sonic effect which pushes water throughyour teeth and gums and I have really noticed a difference after cleaning that I have much less need to rely on the floss.

Very happy
on 30 May 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After using several Braun rechargeable brushes over the years, with several types of head that they use, I was not expecting much from the Sonicare. However, I have to say, it became immediately apparent that this is so much better for my mouth and teeth than the Braun one.
Reasons for this: the shape of the brush head, its more traditional feeling, rather than the round brush from Braun. I used to find that the Braun one was a little rough on my gums when cleaning my teeth and more than once, I found myself with sore gums from pressing too hard (my dentist told me off for this too)
the new Sonicare was excellent as it allows you to get to the gaps in between your teeth a lot easier, as well as feeling a lot more gentle on me too.
Other than that, and a product specific review - I don’t like the way the brush turns itself off after 2 minutes. I like that it has a timer, but I am not always finished after 2 minutes, but have to turn it on again. this is annoying, but not a deal breaker.
the battery life is fine though, easily 2 brushes a day will last you a full week (though its only new, I guess battery life will deteriorate over time)
I have not priced up the new brushes as yet, but overall, I find the Sonicare like driving a Ferrari after driving the Braun Vauxhall for many years.
I will review after 6 months and update to let you know my thoughts and if they are still the same.
to sum up - Very gentle, and it makes your teeth feel like they have had a proper clean. if you buy one of these over the Braun, you will not be disappointed
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a problem with a tooth at the top of my mouth, right at the back. I floss, I use a floss pick, interdental brushes, I use Corsodyl gel up there but I STILL get blood sometimes. No matter what I do, food gets stuck in there and it is a pain.

Also lately after cleaning my teeth with a manual brush, I still felt like my teeth weren't clean and my mouth wasn't as fresh as I'd like.
I have never used an electric toothbrush before....ever.
I like Philips stuff. I've always found them to have good build quality and to last for ages. So for my first attempt with an electric brush, Philips seems a good option.

So........on first use - the vibration of the brush feels weird because I am not used to it. And the toothpaste kept falling off. So I kind of put the paste in my mouth first, kind of spread it on the teeth and then apply the brush, and that worked better.
You don't need to scrub. You just let the vibration of the head do the work and you move it gently back and forth across the teeth.
You are instructed to divide your mouth into four sections [top front, top back, bottom front and bottom back] and clean each section of the mouth for a set time. The brush beeps at you when time is up. When it has stopped vibrating, you can then clean your tongue manually.
I used the same toothpaste I have been using with my manual brush and cleaned for the required time.............and my teeth feel clean and my mouth actually feels fresher.
I gave special attention to my problem area at the top back, so we shall see how I get on with that. I have a dental check up due in a few weeks so I'm sure the Hygienist will let me know if she sees an improvement from last time. I will of course come back and edit my review accordingly.

So, on first use, I am pleased with this brush except for a couple of little negative thoughts on it.

My gripes are, that for the £90 asking price I expected at least one free spare brush head in with the price.
So I've knocked off one star because of this.
I think ninety pounds is a lot of money for this item. Especially when you have to also buy an adaptor for it.
I can get an adaptor on Amazon for £2.99, and I could get spare brush heads too - if I could work out which ones fit. But it would have been nice to have them included.
So, which brush heads do I need when the one supplied needs changing?
This brush is a Sonicare HX6511/43 diamond head, but I can't see any of those for sale.
I can see other diamond head ones but they have a different reference number. Will they fit? Will they make my mouth feel as clean as the head that was provided?
Obviously because I am pleased with the head I have just used with this brush, I want to get replacements that are exactly the same.
So I would like more clarity on this to make the buying experience easier.
The heads are quite costly so I don't want to buy the wrong ones.
I will contact Philips to check before I buy - and I will report back later.

Hope this review helps so far.
Philips replied to my email about heads for this model..
"For your Toothbrush you can use all Philips snap-on heads, the best are from the range DiamondClean but you can also use the ProResults.
On standard the HX6511 comes with the ProResults heads."

SECOND EDIT
I got these.......
and they fit. It is recommended they are discarded after three months use.

THIRD EDIT
Dental check up went well. I didn't need the Hygienist to polish my teeth this time and I usually do. And I was told my gums were also very clean and healthy. So it seems that cleaning with an electric brush does make a difference.

FOURTH EDIT
The price has come down from 89 to 39 quid...........that's more like it. It was way too expensive for what you get.