Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm a firm convert to sonic toothbrushes but I needed to upgrade my Braun slim because I can't get hold of the brush heads any more. I wasn't expecting Philips Sonicare to impress me, but it did. Given that I am already using a fairly high spec sonic toothbrush I just expected more of the same but, I really can feel the difference with the Philips Sonicare. My teeth really do feel surprisingly cleaner--similar to the clean you get after a scale and polish at the dentist. Whether this is to do with the design of the brushhead or the speed of the toothbrush I can't tell.

Please don't be put off by the initial weird tingle you feel when you first use a sonic toothbrush. I wasn't expecting it because I already use one but did happen. It only happens on the first occasion of use though.

Info on the Amazon website states:'In order to get the most out of your Sonicare's battery life, it is essential that you charge it for 24 hours before first use.'There is no mention of this in the instructions as far as I can see and given that my toothbrush worked out of the packet I was tempted to start using it. However, is obviously important to charge it first even if it appears to be working.

There are two sizes of brush heads: standard and mini. My pack contained the standard head which is quite small, so the mini must be really tiny.

These are the pluses:
* It charges silently. (Much quieter than the Braun which buzzed and kept my spouse awake in the next room.)
* When you're using it, it is much quieter. Just a low hum.
* I love the small brush head. It feels really gentle if your gums are receding.
* The small brush seems to make it easier to get round all of the tooth surface.
* As with most of these toothbrushes the bristles fade when it's time to replace the head.
* It comes with a little clear plastic cap which you stick over the head for the sake of hygiene.

Could do better:
* Along with many other electric toothbrushes, this one cuts out after a couple of minutes when it thinks you're finished brushing. This is slightly annoying, but all you have to do is press the button to get it going again. (There is just one speed setting.) The compulsory time works okay for me if I do 2 min for the top set and then 2 min for the bottom set.
* It's not as lightweight as the Braun slim, but that is particularly lightweight.
* The 'whitening claim' on the box put me off initially because it sounded like it might be abrasive. However, the claim is simply that it makes teeth whiter than a manual toothbrush would if used for the same amount of time. So, pretty meaningless, really. I haven't noticed any dramatic whitening effect but I've got a feeling this is just a tagline to try and give the toothbrush a usp.
*Not sure what the difference is from the Philips Sonicare HX6511/50 EasyClean Rechargeable Toothbrush which is half the price at time of writing. Must be the head, but it seems a lot for a head upgrade. It seems cheaper to buy the HX6511 handle cheaply and a pack of four Diamond Clean heads...Philips Sonicare HX6064/26 Diamond Clean Brush Heads Pack of 4 Correct me if I'm wrong, someone...

There are a few negatives:
* The charging stand is not wall mountable but I only need to charge it once a month, so this is no big problem.
* The Philips Sonicare Replacement brush heads are little pricey at around £23 for a pack of four. Incidentally, the packaging states the handle spec is HX6511. The cheapest I've found is around £5 per head. They are more expensive than Braun heads.
* It's never clear in toothbrush packaging and instructions which replacement brushheads to order. Such a simple thing but why is this not easier to find out, when it it all too easy to accidentally order counterfeit brushheads, never mind compatible ones?
*All you get is the toothbrush, 1 x toothbrush head and a no frills charger.

I've said it before and I'd say it again - I do think that it would be nice if they popped in a couple more brushheads so the whole family can clean their teeth out of the box.

Update 20th June: This morning, I was horrified to find my toothbrush had stopped working. This turned out to be because I had neglected to recharge it since the initial charge up. This means that the brave little toothbrush has kept going since 27 May, on the original charge. That's nearly six weeks.

Update 20th September. For the last month I've been trialling another brand of toothbrush. Yesterday, I had to stop because I could feel a buildup of plaque on my teeth. It was such a relief to switch back to the Philips Sonic. My teeth felt clean again.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After using another brand of electric toothbrush with a rotating head, I tried a Philips Sonicare for the first time last year, was instantly converted and this brush confirms my preference.

In short, it is lightweight, sleek and slender, easy to hold and comfortable to navigate to every area of your mouth. As for effectiveness, I couldn't score it more highly. Although it doesn't have the extra features of my older brush, ie 3 different speed settings, gum mode and stain removal mode, it could be argued that these are not really essential. What it does do is provide my teeth with a very thorough clean leaving my mouth feeling cleaner and fresher than any of the rotating-brushes managed. My teeth don't just feel brushed - they feel polished!

For the first 14 uses, the brush operates in an 'easy start' mode and gradually increases in intensity until it reaches full power which is intended for first-time users to get used to the sensation after switching from a manual brush. For those familiar with electric brushes, the 'easy start' mode can be over-ridden. I used it for the first few times and was pleasantly surprised by how gentle, yet still very effective, it felt.

A timer beeps every 30 seconds to aid brushing each quadrant of the mouth, then it switches off after the recommended minimum of 2-minutes brushing time. The molar surfaces or any stains can then be brushed further, if required.

Replacement heads are readily available and all of the Philips Sonicare range have the same fitting so you can choose the type which suits you best.

The brush claims to remove stains within a week of use. It is certainly very effective at removing light stains and it has noticeably reduced some of the deep stains present around the gumline for the last 30+ years but as even the dentist's polisher can't shift these completely, I can't complain that the Sonicare hasn't wholly removed them either!

This is a brush I would definitely recommend highly. It is more expensive than other types but if you want to enjoy the feeling of really-clean teeth, healthy gums and probably reduced dental bills, then it is a brush I would consider a very worthwhile investment and, having felt its benefits, I would happily recommend it and buy it.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This may not be one of Philips more fully featured Sonicare toothbrushes but it nevertheless produces a typically excellent cleaning result. I have had a number of Philips Sonicare toothbrushes over the years and all have been reliable and effective. This nodel continues in that tradition but is around half the price of my other current model (a Philips Sonicare HX9172/10 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitizer which, while it also includes additional programme features and a handy - though inessential - sanitiser, produces no discernibly better result.

If you are new to electric toothbrushes and are wondering which brand to opt for (as the market is becoming increasingly crowded) I would strongly urge you to try this Philips model first. Historically Sonicare toothbrushes have been significantly dearer than other competitor's models (with good reason in my view) but it now seems that - with this model at least - Philips are bringing their prices more into line with other makes.

Bottom line: if you don't need or want 'all the bells and whistles' this model represents an excellent buy. True, replacement heads still remain an ongoing cost consideration but you should still expect around six months or so usage before having to replace them.

Highly recommended.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the first time I have used an electric toothbrush of any kind and I really wish I had tried one sooner. Within 2 weeks of use I no longer suffer bleeding gums on the inside of my lower teeth - my dentist is delighted! Also, the timer/beeper makes it easier to judge the length of time spent cleaning each quadrant. The first use was a bit of a shock as I did feel my head vibrating and I worried it would aggravate my tinnitus but I got used to it remarkably quickly. All in all a great, effective product.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having used 'normal' (rotating-head) electric toothbrushes for many years now, I did not believe that a sonic one (which uses vibration rather than rotation to clean the teeth) could really be much more effective. I was very wrong. After giving the device an initial 24 hour charge - essential to maximise the life of the battery, please note that, as is commonplace with 'bathroom' devices such as this, it comes supplied with only a shaver plug, so you will need an adaptor if you haven't got a shaver socket available - it was with a little trepidation that I turned it on. The sensation when you first use a sonic brush is difficult to describe, other than to say it really does vibrate your entire head! Bearing this in mind, the Philips Sonicare HX6511/43 brush starts off at a lower intensity than is normal for it, and gradually increases the strength of the vibrations over a fortnight, allowing time for you to get used to it. This can be overridden if you are already accustomed to a sonic brush.

The difference in how clean your teeth feel is quite striking, almost as good as a trip to the dental hygienist. While it is difficult to quantify such things, I do feel that the brush really is having a whitening effect on my teeth. The battery life is extremely long - it lasts about three weeks between charges. The only thing I don't like much is that the brush turns itself off automatically after two minutes, as I like to brush my tongue too after the two minutes of toothbrushing, although this is a minor point and clearly you can just turn the brush back on again.

Definitely worth getting, your dentist will love you for it (or at least torture you less!).
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a problem with a tooth at the top of my mouth, right at the back. I floss, I use a floss pick, interdental brushes, I use Corsodyl gel up there but I STILL get blood sometimes. No matter what I do, food gets stuck in there and it is a pain.

Also lately after cleaning my teeth with a manual brush, I still felt like my teeth weren't clean and my mouth wasn't as fresh as I'd like.
I have never used an electric toothbrush before....ever.
I like Philips stuff. I've always found them to have good build quality and to last for ages. So for my first attempt with an electric brush, Philips seems a good option.

So........on first use - the vibration of the brush feels weird because I am not used to it. And the toothpaste kept falling off. So I kind of put the paste in my mouth first, kind of spread it on the teeth and then apply the brush, and that worked better.
You don't need to scrub. You just let the vibration of the head do the work and you move it gently back and forth across the teeth.
You are instructed to divide your mouth into four sections [top front, top back, bottom front and bottom back] and clean each section of the mouth for a set time. The brush beeps at you when time is up. When it has stopped vibrating, you can then clean your tongue manually.
I used the same toothpaste I have been using with my manual brush and cleaned for the required time.............and my teeth feel clean and my mouth actually feels fresher.
I gave special attention to my problem area at the top back, so we shall see how I get on with that. I have a dental check up due in a few weeks so I'm sure the Hygienist will let me know if she sees an improvement from last time. I will of course come back and edit my review accordingly.

So, on first use, I am pleased with this brush except for a couple of little negative thoughts on it.

My gripes are, that for the £90 asking price I expected at least one free spare brush head in with the price.
So I've knocked off one star because of this.
I think ninety pounds is a lot of money for this item. Especially when you have to also buy an adaptor for it.
I can get an adaptor on Amazon for £2.99, and I could get spare brush heads too - if I could work out which ones fit. But it would have been nice to have them included.
So, which brush heads do I need when the one supplied needs changing?
This brush is a Sonicare HX6511/43 diamond head, but I can't see any of those for sale.
I can see other diamond head ones but they have a different reference number. Will they fit? Will they make my mouth feel as clean as the head that was provided?
Obviously because I am pleased with the head I have just used with this brush, I want to get replacements that are exactly the same.
So I would like more clarity on this to make the buying experience easier.
The heads are quite costly so I don't want to buy the wrong ones.
I will contact Philips to check before I buy - and I will report back later.

Hope this review helps so far.
Philips replied to my email about heads for this model..
"For your Toothbrush you can use all Philips snap-on heads, the best are from the range DiamondClean but you can also use the ProResults.
On standard the HX6511 comes with the ProResults heads."

SECOND EDIT
I got these.......
and they fit. It is recommended they are discarded after three months use.

THIRD EDIT
Dental check up went well. I didn't need the Hygienist to polish my teeth this time and I usually do. And I was told my gums were also very clean and healthy. So it seems that cleaning with an electric brush does make a difference.

FOURTH EDIT
The price has come down from 89 to 39 quid...........that's more like it. It was way too expensive for what you get.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
UPDATE: I originally awarded this toothbrush 5 stars, but after just one year of use, the brush has stopped working. I suspect that it's a battery fault - it just doesn't hold the charge. Disappointing. However, having been using a Braun brush again as a replacement, I have decided to take a chance on the Phillips again - I very much prefer the cleaning action.

This is the review as originally written:

I’ve been using Braun electric toothbrushes for more than ten years now, but this is the first Philips brush I’ve used. It uses the same charger stand as the Philips “Power Flosser” that I have been using for a few months, which is a help in reducing the amount of clutter in the bathroom.

Initial impressions, after just two days use, are very favourable. The head seems to vibrate at a much higher frequency than the Braun one, which gives my teeth and mouth quit a pleasant tingling sensation. It looks like this will increase over the next week – the brush is programmed with an “Easy-start” sequence gradually to ramp up the intensity of the brushing programme over the first 14 uses. Along with the high frequency goes quite a high-pitched sound; I suspect that it was making a virtue of necessity that led to the “sonic” brand name – there is no reference to sound, ultrasonic or otherwise, being used to enhance the cleaning process.

The brush has the sort of features we’ve come to expect from electric toothbrushes – a flashing light to let you know when it needs to be recharged, and a timer to let you know when you’ve been brushing for 30 seconds and it’s time to move to the next quadrant of your mouth. (So 2 minutes plus recommended – 30 second per quadrant along the gum line and side of mouth, then some extra time on the biting surfaces and any stained areas.)

Philips claim that this brush will help whitening teeth in as little as 7 days in comparison to manual tooth brushing, and without specific reference to whitening toothpastes. I’ll post an update if I notice any difference, but this is not something that is particularly important to me.

The only downside to this brush, on perusing the cost of replacements, is that the official branded replacements seem quite expensive. Although a host of non-branded ones appear to be available, their prices, paradoxically, seem so low they suggest that their quality might be distinctly inferior. Compared to the cost of dental work, however, £20 for a year’s supply of replacement brush heads doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Recommended. Early days, but I think that this has now moved into first place as my favourite electric toothbrush.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As far as I am aware there are only two makes of electric toothbrushes,
Braun and Philips.
I have used both brands for years. Both brands are excellent.
This Philips model follows the same design as all other electric brushes,
Has clean lines, is comfortable to hold and appears well built.
It comes with the ubiquitous charging station, which uses electromagnetic pulses to charge the battery, and you need a full 24-hour charge the first time you use the brush.
Philips has an “Easy Start” programme which uses a more gentle approach to brushing for the first 14 times you use this brush.
The purpose is to make brushing less strident for people using an electric brush for the very first time, which I think is an excellent feature.
I disabled the “Easy Start” process (Press and hold the power button for 2 seconds) and went straight to full strength cleaning.
Now the key question, how good is this brush?
Well it is excellent; it cleans my teeth thoroughly, without any discomfort during or after the brushing.
It has a pacing system, which beeps and stalls the brushing for a second to remind you to move on to the next section, personally I have never particularly liked this (Braun have it as well) and I tend to ignore it, but each to their own.
When it comes to “Whitening” I must confess I couldn’t see an appreciable difference. To me the actual cleaning is more important and this is really good.
Also the paste you choose may make a difference, I use Sensodyne and I don’t go for whitening pastes.
The battery holds a decent charge and a pack of replacement heads costs about £23.00.
Would I buy this brush? If your main concern is a good, clean, healthy set of teeth then yes.
If you want to whiten your teeth then I am not sure how effective it will be.
Overall an excellent well made easy to use brush that really cleans your teeth well and holds a decent charge.
Maintenance is easy, just wash under a tap.
You can’t really go wrong with a Philips Sonicare, recommended.
on 14 November 2014
I have been using this product for the past one week. I could feel the difference from the very first day onwards. This is a giant leap forward compared to manual brushing. I don't think I will ever go back to manual brushing. It is expensive but worth it. Stop reading this and go ahead and order this product.
VINE VOICEon 29 June 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been a user of electric toothbrushes for a number of years now and I don't think I could go back to the old way. This new one by Philips is excellent, leaving my teeth feeling extra clean and as it says on the info, they do seem to be a bit whiter, unless that is wishful thinking. It only comes with one brush head, a spare would have been nice, but still I am very happy with this toothbrush.