Colour Name: WalnutStyle Name: FiftyThree StylusChange

on 22 December 2014
UPDATE: Just a word of caution to anyone who intends to buy this. If you don't see yourself spending money continuously to maintain this stylus then I urge you not to buy it. I have only had this Pencil for 3 days and have only used it to make a couple light sketches and a full drawing just yesterday. It seems that four hours of working on a full drawing was enough to wear the Pencil out completely. I now have two gaping holes on the rubber tip itself which makes it extremely difficult to draw as expected.

I feel that 53 has mislead their customers by advertising that the rubber tip is "DURABLE" on its website. I thought they had actually fixed this longstanding issue that their customers have had and that was why they were describing the tip so confidently like that. Turns out that it was still the same. I have tried my best to draw as carefully as possible to ensure that the tip did not wear that fast but it is inevitable that continuously swiping a thin piece of rubber that probably was of low grade quality against the iPad's screen that was heating up from use simultaneously with the friction would contribute to accelerated wearing. On top of that, every time the rubber tip slowly began to wear, pieces of black residue would leave trails on the screen and dirty my hands and the iPad's screen. I am not surprised if there are already scratches on the screen itself from all these.

I would have understood if they had a precaution on their website to warn potential customers on this matter or some form of advise to prevent the tip from wearing that easily but of course their greed comes into play as well. I should have heeded the comments from most of the people here who repeatedly mentioned how not durable this stylus was.

Nice, sleek design and the walnut material gives it a pretty decent grip but feature-wise, it does not exactly compel me to recommend it to people. Its features seem to encounter a lot of hiccups whilst using which I hope they can fix in future firmware updates. Because the tip is quite wide, drawing small dots or making finer details to a drawing seems like such an impossible feat. As a result, I always have to scale my drawing up to make it easier. There's also a noticeable 0.5s lag between the pen and the input on the screen which kind of kills the mood for me of drawing on an iPad as it does not make the experience more natural for the user even though that's what it promotes itself to do. Battery life is okay if you don't draw that much. All around, this pen is not worth the hefty price tag at all.
44 comments88 of 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2014
Having used Paper for a while now I couldn't wait to get my hands on pencil. At first I baulked at the price but a special-ish offer swayed me and I ordered one about a month ago. I went for the walnut version and in terms of looks and tactility it doesn't disappoint.

However it was a failure straight out of the box. The attached tip just wouldn't connect, so eventually I followed the manufacturers instructions and replaced with the included replacement tip - take note they know their tips are rubbish. The extra tips included not for when the first wears out but instead in case the first doesn't work. That doesn't inspire confidence. But, though I should have returned it then and there, stupidly, I persevered.

The replacement tip sort of worked on and off for shout two weeks. It had flashes of brilliance where everything was perfect - it responded to pressure, from the lightest to the firmest of touches. It worked with the finger blending option. Palm rejection worked. A dream.

I'd say from a total usage of around 20 hours (2-3 hours a day for a couple of weeks) it worked perfectly for about 2 hours.

The rest of the time it was nothing more than a bog standard stylus. No it didn't even work that well. It would disconnect. The tip wouldn't make a mark. The marks were wrong or unexpected i.e. It would blend unexpectedly rather than draw which would necessitate me having to turn off the finger blending option in the menu - very annoying.

Finally today it just stopped working altogether. The replacement tip won't connect at all and the original tip (tried as a last resort) does now connect but won't work unless I exert a ridiculous amount of force on the screen. Useless. Because of the flashes of brilliance I almost spent another £10.50 on a set of two replacement tips. Then I saw sense, finally.

Incredibly disappointing from such an expensive and promising product. And particularly from a brand that has been so careful about delivering great products thus far. Come on 53 get it sorted!
22 comments103 of 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 September 2015
I got this delivered after a week. As a prime member I was expecting a quicker delivery. Anyway. After It came, i plugged it on to charge this for the 1st time. The red light has been on for the last 6 hours, its supposed to turn green after 90 mins when its ugly charged. It doesn't connect to the paper app, or any other app on the iPhone or iPad. The bluetooth fails to recognise it. I would expect to see a quality, functioning product as 40pounds is not cheap. Very disappointed.
11 comment9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2014
I opened the Pencil after breakfast and used it intermittently during that first day, really enjoying drawing with it and being able to flip it around and use the eraser. When not using it I kept it protected. By evening of that day the thin rubber at the end of the tip had already broken. I tried the replacement tip which it came with, but that one had a small divot on one side where it should make contact with some metal inside the body and it refused to work properly; if the pen was disconnected from the app I couldn't pair it, and if I tried to switch the tips after connecting with the old tip then it worked for a couple of lines before degenerating into odd behaviour, like the draw and erase functions switching ends. Against my better judgement I've ordered a set of replacement tips, but unless they're astonishingly good quality I'm going to give the whole thing up and return it.
22 comments37 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 March 2015
I like this - especially the eraser on the top. Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, the tip has issues with longevity / abuse. Needs a redesign I think. I also have a couple of other 'fine tips' like the Bamboo which I use more now.
on 12 January 2015
overly soft rubbery tip, magnet not strong enough to hold it on, not very accurate pixel control, rather disappointing, returned it within a week
11 comment8 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 December 2014
Best iPad stylus I've tried by a country mile, with a great natural feel, nearest thing to a good soft pencil but with more features. The eraser feature of the second tip is a bit unreliable and seems to want to blend rather than erase much of the time and the maker's fixes don't work. Overall though worth it for the pointy end.
22 comments5 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 May 2015
When I first got it I had issue with the eraser which could not erase but blend like it was recognised as a finger. Then I tried reboot both iPad and pencil and it helped a bit: now in most of the time it can erase if you press it hard on the corner but still blend if you try use it flat. As for the tip it's sensitive but almost worn out after a few days use (to be exact I'm not using it much). I like the app and paid for the functions before I purchased the pencil but now I'm disappointed and it's definitely overpriced considering the quality.
review image
11 comment12 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 September 2015
This stylus looks great, the nib isn't as big as I'd though it was going to be which is great as it does allow you to be quiet accurate with it, especially if writing notes. The walnut edition holds to my case, though not very strongly, it would be easy to knock off, and it compliments its look.
That said it has been bought to draw and write and while it does work with my air 2 (and as one of the only stylus advertised to) it is not very fluid. Now I believe this is the case with almost all bluetooth stylus as the ipad screens don't have the tech built in to properly work with the stylus hence the bluetooth is simply trying to emulate it. Unfortunately this leads to the stylus cutting out mid stroke causing you to frequently need to go back to correct. I've still gave it three stars as its definitely a step up from using your finger and in the paper app by the same company it integrates for a great experience when it works. Unfortunately because of its intermittent performance I believe it is over prices, as half the price I would have gave it 4 starts but at the £50 I paid for it I had hoped for better performance.
on 6 February 2015
Pencil is a great palm rejection stylus, it works on iPads that have bluetooth.
Works great with app Paper requiring only a 2 second touching the nib on the screen. Unfortunately there are no other apps that can utilise the palm rejection.
You take out the battery and charge it using a computer USB slot.
Drawing feels more natural with palm rejection, the nib is fairly large but is still good for fine drawing with the zoom function in the app.