on 23 February 2015
Excellent purchase, very pleased. This was a replacement for a 32inch three year old Toshiba (non smart) which had been poor from the start. Blacks were poor and grainy, sound flat and rattled at anything above quiet, and in the last few months would only work if you turned it off at the mains waited 20 seconds and switched on again. So though it wasn't that old we bought this. What a difference. Great picture and sound that is pleasant to listen to with reasonable power; and because of its very thin surround not that much wider than the 32inch.
It is every much a smart tv. On first run the first thing it does is to get you to get it linked to the internet. Cable or wi-fi is available we chose the latter and setting it up was a breeze. I guess you can use it without this connection but I never explored that but presumably you wouldn't buy a Smart TV to use it as a dumb set. It has a good range of apps built in including all the catch ups, not just BBC iplayer. The inbuilt browser is a bit tortuous using the remote, but that's innevitable, and maybe a bit slower than a PC in reacting- but it works if you need it; I'll stick with iPad and laptop for the most part. You can link into all sorts of other stuff with it's inbuilt hub, which we haven't really explored yet.
It doesn't have a VGA input but my laptop gives a brilliant picture using HDMI so i don't need it. We've a Wii which works well through the VIDEO/sound plugs and a DVD player that's happy with the SCART.
We think it's a great bit of kit, just regret the 3 years with its predecessor!
on 22 May 2015
Bought this a month ago.
Great to look at.
Vibrant colours on screen especially when in HD.
Freeview HD (BBC1, 2, 3, ITV, CH4 and associated children's channels).
Easy and quick network connection (I've got it on wifi).
No problem connecting to my dvd recorder.
Guide button on handset allows previews of other programmes while watching current programme.
Smart features allow a range of apps to be used on the TV.
If you're other devices have mirror screening then you can connect effortlessly.

Pixelated screen for a few seconds a few seconds after turning on. Doesn't happen when viewing through dvd recorder.
Sound quality not so good: relatively flat compared to the previous LCD TVs I had even after reconfiguring sound output. Haven't tried it through my amp yet.
Major gripe about Samsung's customer service: the box didn't have the screws required to set up the stand and connect the TV. Despite ringing the helpline and then emailing UK customer services several times no screws were forthcoming. In the end went to B&Q and obtained compatible screws after a couple of tries. The original screws were easily 10x the price for what I got from B&Q. Samsung in it to rip us off!

Probably the last Samsung product I'll buy after four phones, camera and a video camera over the last 20 years.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The H5500 is an excellent full-featured smart TV that does everything you could currently want from a TV, has an excellent picture, and at 40 inches is a good size for most living rooms.

Apart from being a TV, is have the following key extra:
- in-built wifi, so it can update itself and connect with other devices; it can also be connected with a cat 5 cable instead of wifi
- freeview HD built-in
- Samsung smart TV, which has apps such as Netflix and BBC iplayer just a menu button away
- USB ports, so you can play movies, music and photos straight from a usb memory stick
- Smartview, which connects other Samsung devices, allowing you to watch TV on your smartphone or tablet, or send content from these to the TV

Despite all these features it is very easy to use and looks and sounds great.

A perfect family TV. Five stars.
on 23 December 2014
Fantastic Wi Fi connection and a lovely thin design. Great picture quality and the sound quality is good to. Easy to navigate your way through each app.
on 14 October 2014
The picture is amazing, the main reason why I chose this TV. I mostly use my PS4 for gaming now, and I must say I love it! I haven't tried out any of the other features that the Smart TV has to offer, but that seems to have great features to. If your looking for a good TV for a decent amount, then this is great. The reason why I wouldn't of given this a 4 star is due to the sound, the same with most thin TV's, but there is no problem in that as I definitely will purchase a sound bar.

-Excellent picture
-VESA holes on the back for wall mounting, I was going to get the SONY Bravia but decided not to as it didn't have any VESA holes on the back to wall mount, which was a shame.
-Easy to set up, access apps etc.
-Great design, thin bezel.
-Great overall TV

-The sound isn't to good, but same with most of the TV's now. That's why I wouldn't of given it 5 stars.
on 11 September 2014
easy to use but had to have help installing but I am a senior citizen technophobe
on 4 February 2015
Great value for money, set up very easy only glitch was when entering post code so TV could connect to correct regional TV, remember to use upper case and put in space. TV has football mode but we didn't like it, too bright, this isn't a problem we just don't use that function.
on 13 February 2015
I have had this set for about a week now and have tried quite a few of it's features and can say I am extremely satisfied with my purchase at the moment. Once I plugged in the aerial and power cable I found it a doddle to mount and setup and by following the instructions in the e-manual which I read on screen that helped with everything else.
Everything is so clear and sharp especially the programs in HD. I give it four stars.
Another star is for the delivery. It came two days before delivery date.
Therefore 5 stars.
on 7 August 2015
Great tv had it a year had a small fault which Samsung sorted by sending an engineer out to fix it.
Great picture and great sound. Also love the smart tv with all the catchup channels just wish if did not have monopoly on it as my granddaughter loves to play lol
on 7 September 2015
amazing,amazing price, well happy great tv, football mode is excellent, to be honest u can use it for films in football mode excellent clarity, and colours, probably one of the best things I have ever bought