Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

I really like this album. The Secret Sisters seem to sing with a simple joyousness and a delight in the music and their harmonies which is simply irresistible.

This album has a great mixture of songs (including a Dylan song, Dirty Lie, which I hadn't heard before) in a variety of styles which are hard to categorize - blues, country rock, early 60s heartbreak songs...it's just a really enjoyable mixture.

I found that a lot of songs reminded me of other things I liked - the opener Rattle My Bones echoes Not Fade Away, Let there Be Lonely has snatches of Ebony Eyes in places and so on - and the spirit of The Everlys is never far away. This is just fine, because the Sisters give everything their own treatment and so obviously love what they are singing and the very act of singing together that everything just shines out. They take the music seriously but there's a knowing twinkle in the eye throughout which just makes me smile.

If you like songs with a slightly late-50s or 60's feel don't hesitate. It's not especially original or ground-breaking music, but it's hugely enjoyable. It is good material performed by two very fine singers with a good band, and very well produced to give each song just the right atmosphere. What more could you want? Very warmly recommended.
Sisters Laura and Lydia Rogers are of course the vocalists of The Secret Sisters, and when first released this album met with immediate critical acclaim, and if you are listening to this for the first time you will instantly notice why. Hailing from Muscle Shoals, Alabama, that great place for music these sisters have a lot to live up to, surrounded by well known musicians and singers, and with recording studios such as the legendary FAME Studios in the locale.

T Bone Burnett produced this and you feel influences of him coming through here, as well as the sisters’ own influences. There is some Southern Gothic here and Laura and Lydia both harmonize so well together giving a great atmosphere to this album. If you have only heard their first album then you will be in for a surprise, this isn’t as formulaic and if you look at the songs here you will see that this is quite bold and original.

If you are coming to these sisters for the first time then this is the album to get, and I suspect interest may be increasing since these sisters appeared on Reginald D Hunter’s music documentary series. The songs can be quite dark on here, whereas others are slightly lighter, but it all meshes together into something that is well worth listening to time and again.

On another note, if you ever visit the State of Alabama make Muscle Shoals a stop. You will often see famous performers trying out new songs, etc. in the nightclubs. No one knows why this is an area of great music, but some say that it must be the water, so perhaps an empty bottle filled up with tap water from the area may make you a star in the future – who knows?
on 4 June 2014
The sisters second album is a huge improvement on their first so if you enjoyed their debut you will absolutely love this one. The overall sound is similar to "Raising Sand" which is not surprising considering that both albums were produced by T Bone Burnett however, at the risk of upsetting Robert Plant and Alison Krauss fans, this is the better of those two albums.
on 29 April 2014
Excellent second album from the secret sisters. Much darker than their debut cd, has a strong soulful/Americana feel throughout yet never loses that 50s/60s classic vibe as well. Tone is set by the first track 'Rattle my bones' and this continues throughout. Lonely Island could be straight out of the Everly Bros songbook and 'Dirty Lie' is just brilliant. Overall a joy .
on 8 August 2014
I liked their last album but I much prefer this one with more of a blues sound, the harmonies are also even better. It has been played again and again. Favourite songs at the moment are: Iuka, The Pocket Knife, Dirty lie, If I Don't, I Cannot Find a Way and Bad Habit.
on 31 May 2014
Their first album was brilliant, as was their live show at the time. We've waited a long time for this, their second album. On first hearing I was disappointed, but the more I played it the more I liked it. I now think that this is a terrific album. One slight criticism, the full-on backing does not allow the listener to fully appreciate what great voices the Secret Sisters have.
on 11 June 2014
LOVED the Secret Sisters first offering of beautiful sibling voices singing in lovely harmony - you tubed River Jordan and couldn't wait for this album to come out.
WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT. Loads of base guitar and drums and horribly produced - the beauty has gone. What we have now is just a run of the mill album. The beauty of the sisters was that they sing fab with one guitar and two voices. I could cry.Why do producers do this to such immense talent. Please let the next one be just them both letting rip with voices and one guitar!!
on 14 July 2014
more excellent music from the rogers sisters
on 19 July 2014
I love the secret sisters...from that first moment on Jools Holland hootenanny when they sang 'the one I love is gone'. I bought the first cd and there were a few treasures on there. I have seen them live at Hoxton Gardens, Union Chapel and Cambridge FF where they tried out River Jordan in beautiful acoustic.........so it was with great anticipation and expectation that I eagerly awaited this new offering. :(((( I am SO disappointed.......this over produced pop album is a tragedy and a far throw for their roots. The voices and harmonies are lost in the racket going on behind. Not for me !
on 22 June 2014
Really enjoyable follow-up album. Love their voices and really appreciate their own songs and songs that are not so traditional.