Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 18 August 2014
I am almost tempted to not like this album if only because of the hype that is gathering over the band, but that would be highly unfair. This is actually a highly effective modern rock album that puts the song first and provides an instantly memorable sound. Yes it's a bit formulaic in places, you can't avoid the Biffy Clyro comparisons, not just because of Sam McTrusty's strong accent but because tracks like "Be a Kid" and "Brothers and Sisters" (a brilliant track by the way) share similar song structures. However there are other influences on offer here. "Fall into the Party" channels their inner Big Country, "Cell Mate" has echoes of the Foo Fighters and "Rest in pieces" could happily appear on an Aztec Camera album. So the influences are pretty high quality and let's face it to be "innovative" nowadays takes a bit of doing and is more than likely going to sound awful so why not stick some great songs in front of loud guitars and beefy rhythms and have bloody good fun. More power to their elbows I'd say.
on 21 August 2014
Great album containing some brilliant songs ignore the negative reviews below especially the one where the reviewer clearly thinks they are writing some glossy magazine. Enjoy and good luck to the band.
on 26 September 2014
WOW,WOW,WOW, this band just get better and better. They started on a high note and just keep going beyond the stars. Forget all that X-factor chart music rubbish that has trashed the UK's music industry, THIS is what real music sounds like and should be top of everyone's list. Right now Scotland has some of the best bands around.
on 14 October 2014
Great Divide is a nice addition to their catalogue but nothing to startle off established fans. Some stand out moments but not as many as on Vivarium or Free but still worth a purchase. The singles are the super high points, Heart and Soul is an awesome stomper (although I wish the intro lasted longer so the first verse hits harder, but that's just me) and Brothers and Sisters does that thing they do so well by getting you all emotional without using the usual tired tricks.
B-
I forecast big changes on the next one.
on 21 August 2014
This has nothing on Vivarium. It's good. But, just good. It's all gone a bit too Snow Patrol for me. I've seen the guys play live a few times now, they are brilliant so I do recommend you go see them if you haven't already, nice lads too.

My biggest criticism with this is that it's all just a bit too radio pleasing. Some of the lyrics are a bit dodgy also. The extra tracks are really good. Not sure why they are just added tracks, should have been a part of the album. If you like this album, you will love Vivarium. 'Caribbean War Syndrome' is an amazing song. Better than anything on this album. Check it out now.

In summary, Great Divide is fine, it should propel them, they deserve it. I said to Sam about 5 years ago in my home town of Hull that it took Biffy many albums to get their, Twin Atlantic no doubt will do it the same way. One recommendation please for the next one, make it a bit more rough around the edges, crank up the guitars and leave out the pop.

Good luck though boys, I will be seeing you on tour.
on 30 November 2014
It's the first Twin Atlantic album I've listened to, and it really is quite good, it's a shame that there are a few 'filler' style songs though. Some really good ones in the mix as well though, if you like pop rock it's a good catchy album!
on 19 August 2014
Great Divide is the second album proper from Scottish four piece Twin Atlantic. They released a mini album, Vivarium, in 2009 and their debut album Free followed in 2011. Free had become a decent success and catapulted the band from playing club shows to sharing stages with Bruce Springsteen and Foo Fighters or opening for 30 Seconds To Mars. Most of Great Divide was written on the tour bus while the band was still touring Free and is the result of a band that has tasted blood. “Our aim was always to make songs this size,” says vocalist Sam McTrusty. While it was the songs on Vivarium and Free that enabled them to play to bigger audiences, a success that was well earned and deserved, Great Divide is a record for the masses, made for mainstream appeal.

Before the record unfolds its full potential, it starts quietly with a cheesy piano driven intro track (The Ones I Love). Twin Atlantic always had a knack for writing ballads (Better Weather, Crash Land, Yes, I Was Drunk) but this song suffers from the same lyrical weaknesses and lack of musical imagination that constitute the remainder of the album.

It’s not like Twin Atlantic were poets before but I usually found their lyrics easy to relate to and memorable but on this record lyrics are no more than accessory. The ballads are full of teenage truisms such as “Hold on, you can be strong” (Hold On), “There’s nothing wrong with being a dreamer” (Brothers and Sisters) or “Music is my therapy” (The Ones That I Love) while the upbeat tracks are full of nonsense phrases like “I flick the switch on the generator, so I can turn you on” (Heart And Soul), or “Yeah, yeah yeah, I’m the only one, I’m a loaded gun” (Fall Into The Party) or “Don’t let me down from so far away, cos’ I’m your cell mate” (Cell Mate). I’m finding it hard to believe that this is the same band that wrote Crash Land or Make A Beast of Myself.

The lead single Heart And Soul boasts of stadium-sized rock. Not that there’s anything wrong with stadium rock as such. We Will Rock You and We Are The Champions, though controversial when they were released, turned into Queen’s best known hits. The problem with Heart And Soul is not that it’s controversial but that it pretty much plagiarizes Deaf Leppard’s Pour Some Sugar On Me, Whitesnake’s Here I Go Again or Joan Jett’s I Love Rock N Roll. Most of their audience will be too young to know any of the above but they will recognize the likeness to One Direction’s Midnight Memories that rips off the same songs.

Hold On sports a super-sized pathetic chorus that sounds like straight out of a You Me At Six song. I Am An Animal and Fall Into The Party are upbeat songs about partying and drinking, not that I mind either but does the world really need another song about being slushed and stupid? If you don’t put too much weight on the lyrics though, both songs are decently enjoyable. Actions That Echo has been part of their live repertoire for a while and is as such closer to their previous record Free than anything else on Great Divide but unfortunately not enough to redeem the quality of the album as a whole.

Brothers And Sisters and Oceans are two very similarly bland tracks about missing loved ones while Be A Kid reminisces about being a kid forever and not having to worry about money or working like a slave. I wonder if that’s really something Twin Atlantic need to worry about.

All the while I was listening to the album I couldn’t help but feel that I’d already heard it a hundred times before. After a couple of spins, the record left no lasting impression let alone highlights, it’s all the same radio-friendly mishmash. In the end, there is nothing memorable about this record apart from Sam McTrusty’s signature Scottish accent.

As the album ends on a pensive note with the somewhat political Why Won’t We Chance? it leaves my wonder, Twin Atlantic, why did you change? McTrusty claims in the press release that the band had learned “to make music that connects with fans which is always honest, never forced” and was inspired by opening for Bruce Springsteen. Great Divide is but a feebly attempt at Springsteen’s anthemic rock. Unfortunately, the band has decided to follow a hit composing formula rather than their better judgement and released an album that may be appealing to pubescent girls with a Kerrang subscription but ultimately sounds bland, rehashed and forced. For Twin Atlantic, this will be the great divide between being a fresh rock band that has something to say and being just another mainstream radio rock act with no heart and soul.

indieisnotagenre.com
on 29 December 2014
Twin Atlantic set my hopes so high with Free. Great Divide is a much tamer, more radio-friendly effort.

For fans of Biffy Clyro and Snow Patrol. Not a terrible record, just not that great either.
on 27 September 2014
this is a great album! I ordered the great divide after hearing track 5: brothers and sisters on kerrang so I didn't really expect much after only hearing one track but I was pleasantly surprised its actually a great album and i'm glad I bought it!
on 15 October 2014
No divide in this household. We all love this album.

A mixture of some really lovely thought provoking rock ballads and some good rock tunes to get carried away to and dance like no body is watching!