Format: Audio CDChange

on 21 August 2014
Great album containing some brilliant songs ignore the negative reviews below especially the one where the reviewer clearly thinks they are writing some glossy magazine. Enjoy and good luck to the band.
on 14 October 2014
Great Divide is a nice addition to their catalogue but nothing to startle off established fans. Some stand out moments but not as many as on Vivarium or Free but still worth a purchase. The singles are the super high points, Heart and Soul is an awesome stomper (although I wish the intro lasted longer so the first verse hits harder, but that's just me) and Brothers and Sisters does that thing they do so well by getting you all emotional without using the usual tired tricks.
B-
I forecast big changes on the next one.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 18 August 2014
I am almost tempted to not like this album if only because of the hype that is gathering over the band, but that would be highly unfair. This is actually a highly effective modern rock album that puts the song first and provides an instantly memorable sound. Yes it's a bit formulaic in places, you can't avoid the Biffy Clyro comparisons, not just because of Sam McTrusty's strong accent but because tracks like "Be a Kid" and "Brothers and Sisters" (a brilliant track by the way) share similar song structures. However there are other influences on offer here. "Fall into the Party" channels their inner Big Country, "Cell Mate" has echoes of the Foo Fighters and "Rest in pieces" could happily appear on an Aztec Camera album. So the influences are pretty high quality and let's face it to be "innovative" nowadays takes a bit of doing and is more than likely going to sound awful so why not stick some great songs in front of loud guitars and beefy rhythms and have bloody good fun. More power to their elbows I'd say.
on 21 August 2014
This has nothing on Vivarium. It's good. But, just good. It's all gone a bit too Snow Patrol for me. I've seen the guys play live a few times now, they are brilliant so I do recommend you go see them if you haven't already, nice lads too.

My biggest criticism with this is that it's all just a bit too radio pleasing. Some of the lyrics are a bit dodgy also. The extra tracks are really good. Not sure why they are just added tracks, should have been a part of the album. If you like this album, you will love Vivarium. 'Caribbean War Syndrome' is an amazing song. Better than anything on this album. Check it out now.

In summary, Great Divide is fine, it should propel them, they deserve it. I said to Sam about 5 years ago in my home town of Hull that it took Biffy many albums to get their, Twin Atlantic no doubt will do it the same way. One recommendation please for the next one, make it a bit more rough around the edges, crank up the guitars and leave out the pop.

Good luck though boys, I will be seeing you on tour.
11 comment3 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 September 2014
WOW,WOW,WOW, this band just get better and better. They started on a high note and just keep going beyond the stars. Forget all that X-factor chart music rubbish that has trashed the UK's music industry, THIS is what real music sounds like and should be top of everyone's list. Right now Scotland has some of the best bands around.
on 27 September 2014
this is a great album! I ordered the great divide after hearing track 5: brothers and sisters on kerrang so I didn't really expect much after only hearing one track but I was pleasantly surprised its actually a great album and i'm glad I bought it!
on 30 November 2014
It's the first Twin Atlantic album I've listened to, and it really is quite good, it's a shame that there are a few 'filler' style songs though. Some really good ones in the mix as well though, if you like pop rock it's a good catchy album!
on 15 October 2014
No divide in this household. We all love this album.

A mixture of some really lovely thought provoking rock ballads and some good rock tunes to get carried away to and dance like no body is watching!
on 29 December 2014
Twin Atlantic set my hopes so high with Free. Great Divide is a much tamer, more radio-friendly effort.

For fans of Biffy Clyro and Snow Patrol. Not a terrible record, just not that great either.
on 5 January 2015
Heard the singles on the radio, sounded OK enough to make me want to hear the album. That's when it all went wrong, to me it was not very interesting. Sorry but I don't understand the other comments.