on 21 August 2014
Good to see that Garmin are finally bringing across many of the features from the standard automotive GPS units but there are still some things missing that would be good to have. Why Garmin always let the motorcycle units lag behind the rest of the range I don't know but it's always been that way. Lots more info here:

Main reason I'm posting this is to help with one important item that's no longer supplied with the 590 as it was with the 5xx and 6xx ranges - a case!

The OEM Garmin case is selling here on Amazon for £23! I found this one:

For under £3 I thought it was well worth a go even if it turned out to be rubbish. It took a couple of weeks to arrive (from China) but it was well worth it. The quality is as good as the OEM case I had with my 660 and the 590 fits perfectly.
on 1 August 2015
I am disappointed with my recent upgrade to the zumo 590, having had several Garmin devices over the years. I appreciate that Garmin has to modernise its products to remain competitive, but including features which are a hindrance and omitting good navigation features from earlier devices doesn't seem to be progress.

On start-up, the software on my 590 intermittently cycles through the route calculation 2 or 3 times on routes that have been planned and uploaded from my computer. My previous devices have never done this. On first use, the spoken directions were deafeningly loud in my bluetooth headset, which I adjusted. Upon subsequent use I could barely hear instructions no matter what I did with the 590 and latterly the spoken directions became non-existent, so given the other issues with the unit, I have given up trying to fathom the problem or the answer. The volume icon on-screen seems pointless, since it only produces an instruction to adjust the headset volume control. Spoken directions are very important particularly when riding at speed, they help me to know when I’m approaching a junction or road where I need to re-position myself. Having to depend solely upon a screen when the audio won't function and frequently check it for direction of up-coming junctions can be dangerous especially in fast moving traffic.

The unit will not run a bespoke route unless it is set in ‘curvy roads’ mode, whereas the zumo 660 predecessor ran bespoke routes whether set to ‘fastest’ or ‘shortest’ modes, and unless the ‘curvy roads’ feature is deselected to be able to reach a single destination point directly, the unit directs you everywhere except where you want to go. It seems a retrograde step that the 590 will not run a bespoke route in its 'fastest' or 'shortest' route settings.

Recently plotting a route directly on the 590 incorporating various waypoints and having to use it in ‘curvy roads’ mode in order to run the route, produced endless confusing deviations and instructions to turn around, and had I been using the 590 where I was unfamiliar with the general direction, roads numbers etc, I would have been directed endlessly out of my way.

The 590 also produces incessant alerts, to the point that they become distracting and they're ignored. I don’t want to receive alerts for every restaurant and petrol station on route, but I do want safety camera alerts, but as these are all grouped within one setting, I seemingly can’t have one turned on without the others. I’m disappointed with this feature, especially having purchased the camera alerts software upgrade.

The cradle is unique to the 590 although the 18 pin rear connector looks the same (590 v 660). I don't know why cradles cannot be standardised so that devices can be interchanged (or upgraded) more easily, swapping the cradle mounting is costly in garage charges, which I've now done twice on my bike, having reverted to the 660.

It seems that Garmin has taken a good device (zumo 660) and made it greatly more complicated but has not retained its good features. My purpose in buying a motorcycle sat-nav is to be able to plan and ride bespoke routes and receive reliable audible directions and relevant alerts. My 590 fails to do this, therefore I have reverted to the 660 and am disappointed to have wasted money on an expensive product that does not give me the essential navigation information that I have come to expect.

Unfortunately Garmin customer services has not been able to provide me with assistance to overcome any of these issues.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 October 2014
Very, very expensive - but, it has the usual excellent Zumo build quality and, in the box, absolutely everything you need for motorcycle or car use. I find Garmin customer-care second-to-none and it's possible to speak directly with an operator should a problem arise (try that with TomTom...). Even the once-derided "Garmin Express" that allows the unit, via a computer, to link with Garmin, seems to work well (though make sure you have the latest version installed). It's also very welcome, as others point out, to have a number of the features used in car units for so long.
Clear even in bright sunlight, the screen is a significant and important improvement; it dims automatically at night (and in tunnels) with crisper graphics than the 600 Series; the map detail, in standard view, is just about right - though in car mode you might want more. The unit both locates satellites and recalculates when you've made a wrong turn with commendable speed. It's also possible, at last, to have a selection of windows down one side showing, for example, "Arrival time", Distance to go", etc., though one has to say that their appearance is still infant-school clunky with lots of precious space wasted between the words and their border.
One really annoying feature is the "Up Ahead" display; it's impossible to turn off the screen icons for any of the three that you are forced to select; the list being: Speed Cameras, Lodging, Food, Road-side Help, Gas (Petrol), Parking, Banks & ATM and Restrooms (lavatories in English). While you might want cameras and fuel showing, having the screen littered with pictures of knives and forks or "restrooms" I find a hindrance to sane progress.
How the Bluetooth and iPhone (etc.) links work I've no idea - the idea of scrolling through song lists, checking my Stock Exchange portfolio while phoning lover No.3 while ear'oling down a twisty road is, to me, pure anathema.
Speed camera warnings (from the Garmin database) are utterly hopeless and far too general; it's far better to download the really detailed ones from Pocket GPS that locate permanent and temporary ones with precision. However, the icons displayed are tiny - a ridiculous situation when every greasy-spoon cafe is lit up like Tokyo at night.
A warning: mine came with "Avoidances" set by default to include U-turns; this might be fine if you're on Diavel, not so handy if riding 390 Duke. It's also a new unit, so, as an early adopter, be prepared for some yet-to-be-discovered snags and regular updates of the firmware.
Update 10th October 2014:
I've now covered around 2000 miles with the unit and am generally very impressed with both its performance and (relative) ease of use. The rapid and smooth scrolling of the screen is a real bonus and the database comprehensive (though don't expect every fuel station listed to still exist...). I do find that it will occasionally select an obliviously unsuitable, longer and slower side-road route - though I suppose that this might well be a fault common to other Garmin units....
on 14 February 2015
Required for my Caterham and interchanges with my motorcycle. Has to be resistant to vibration, moisture and have bluetooth connectivety for an ear piece because of the noise. Worth the high price. The only downside with this latest model is that it is not lockable onto the car/bike holder and therefore has to be taken off and carried everywhere.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 August 2014
Great product but not such a huge advance on my old Zumo 550 as I thought it would be. Still, having a 5 inch screen on my ZZR 1400 is a luxury and the navigation is good. It doesn't take long to acquire satellites and the dynamic route guidance (altering the route on the go for traffic reasons or because you haven't followed the route correctly), is significantly faster thanks to a quicker processor. I haven't yet asked it to find windy routes with the Curvy Roads feature but that was partly why I bought it. The option to have the satnav in portrait mode sounds great but in reality it is a Little tricky to do if you are using bike power. You will need to wire it to the bike in such a way to leave enough spare wire. That might look a bit unsightly (as it would on my ZZR) as you need to allow the satnav holder to rotate. If you have a previous Garmin, say a Zumo 550 or 600, beware that you will need to replace the charging wires if you use bike power to support your satnav. The holder for the unit is very different. All the required kit comes with the unit. I would also mention that the satnav is not secure with the Garmin holder. A quick press of the button will release the unit. I would never leave my unit on the bike unattended but you should remember that. Overall, a great product that I am enjoying.
on 9 February 2015
The price hurt, but really pleased with the product, so it feels justified now. Having owned a Garmin for the last 8 years, I'm really hoping that they start to improve their online map updates and Unit management - the interface has always been appallingly clunky and long-winded. As the this Sat Nav - I'm please with the initial experience.
on 15 March 2015
It is faster, it is fully featured, it is intuitive but, it is a Zumo and as such is prone to silly routing. It is better than the 550, it is much better than the awful 660, but it will, irrespective of settings take you on and off your route for silly detours without reason.
on 1 September 2015
The more I use it, the better I like it. Expensive, but ruggedised to survive exposed daily use in all weather. I use both on motorbike and in car. Cool additional features include remote control of Virb Elite camera, media player and automatic logging of route (for later analysis with Basecamp software). Disappointing that it doesn't communicate with the temperature sensor (available separately) to give a real time air temperature display. Ability to plan trip on Basecamp and then upload to Zumo is really helpful. Accessories very expensive - e.g. just the motorcycle mounting hardware to fit to second bike costs as much as a basic car type GPS does. Features menu is a bit laborious and takes getting used to. Would be helpful if there was a setting for "towing" - journey time calculation seems to assume you are driving/riding at max road speed - if you could select a "towing" option then default settings could be automatically reduced to 60mph (dual carriageway/motorways) and 50mph max for single carriageways with the journey time displayed accordingly (and over speed limit warnings reduced appropriately)
on 18 August 2014
This is a really 'complete' sat nav system. It comes with all the components you will need supplied in the box.

This was initially a replacement for a motorbike sat nav and for that it ticks all the boxes... and some. The RAM mount is ideal for fixing to any motorbike, it will secular attach almost anywhere ( the only disappointment was that there is no rubber protector supplied to protect the finish on what it is attached to).

I have just returned from a two week break in France where it was used on a daily basis for touring using the car mount/charger ( I couldn't get the wife on the back of the bike for two weeks) and it performed great.

All in all I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to any one!
on 2 November 2015
I purchased the Zumo 590LM three weeks ago and have now used it several times on my motorcycle. I'd previously had TomTom Rider units, both of which had suffered back contact failure.
I'd carefully read all the reviews and decided on the Zumo 590LM on the basis of reviews which indicated the screen was visible in bright sunlight, which was not the case with the TomTom.
Out of the box the unit is of much better quality than the the TomTom.
I'd purchased the Touratech lockable mount which holds the unit securely in a clearly visible position.
The Zumo menu is not as intuitively obvious as that of the TomTom but is manageable.
Now the downside: screen visible in bright sunlight? Maybe I'm missing something obvious but I've tried tilting the unit, adjusting the brightness and the colour themes and the screen remains barely discernible even in low light conditions,
Regarding the 'theme' colour schemes: I've seen only one review that criticises the 'wishy-washy' colour schemes. Come on Garmin, the colours need to be much more vivid to be at all discernible on a motorcycle in daylight!
With the barely visible graphics the Zumo 590LM is useless as a motorcycle GPS without a bluetooth headset.

However, as I said, I might be missing something obvious. Can someone enlighten me?

Overall, I'm disappointed with the Zumo and regret not buying another TomTom.