on 16 July 2015
I bought this as I need a wide screen work area for music production, all I can say is that the screen is stunning... Crystal clear with plenty of space, Ideal if you use steinberg cubase and need to split the mixer and tracks.
review image
11 comment10 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2015
If I buy any tech worth more than a couple of hundred pounds I'll always do a lot of comparative work to make sure that I get the best deal. In addition to ASUS I compared similar products from LG, Samsung, Phillips and BenQ. I wanted something that was good for work and for playing games. For my needs this monitor offered the best balance.

Standout points:
1. Solid base and stand; everything clicks and screws together well (no creaks or fiddly bits of plastic that might snap off).

2. After a little bit of playing around with settings it was set up. I'll probably play around with some of the smaller settings later but that would only be tweaking.

3. The screen is very good to look at, it has a matt finish and it looks cool and professional.

4. Outlook and Excel/Word side by side, plenty of space.

5. I told my wife I needed it for work (which I do) but I didn't tell her that I had also bought Elite Dangerous (she wouldn't understand why). Elite looks great and I've now a renewed interest in playing World of Tanks.

6. Some argue the loss of vertical height is too big a price to pay. For me there is more than enough vertical height to fill your vision. On the horizontal, I like consciously moving my eyes to take in what is displayed. It makes you feel that the game is going on around you as well as in front of you.

7. Internal speakers are sufficient nothing more. I suppose if you're going to drop £350 on a monitor then you can afford to get a half decent set of external speakers. I have some Harmon Kardon Sound sticks and they do the job.

8. I suppose this Asus is the more sober choice over a 27" BenQ but I'm a 46 year old, white collar professional. This is why when I buy things like wireless speakers or headphones I buy Bose and VModa rather than Jawbone and Dr Dre.

So I'm more than happy with the Asus, looking forward to using it and learning how to play Elite.
11 comment28 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2015
As a 4k monitor at good value this screen delivers everything you would expect.
The screen is matte and colour quality is very good. Don't expect NEC or Apple level colour accuracy with this, but with a little calibration the results are excellent.
The stand is good and heavy and keeps the display well anchored. The port access at the back however is irritatingly recessed, leading to the dreaded "reach in and scrape around" approach to plugging in cables.
The menu system is on screen using buttons hidden around the back of the monitor. It's a little fiddly to use because the buttons never line up with the menu items - leading you to count in from the edge or guess. Luckily I don't use these often.

Confirmed working in OS X Yosemite with Late 2013 Macbook Pro retina 13" (although not at 60z) and Late 2013 quad core Mac Pro with D300s (at full 60hz)
Install SwitchResX to run this display in 1080p with hiDPI to have a 28 inch retina display.
review image review image
1313 comments27 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 July 2014
4k need to be seen to be believed. It is not the same as 1080p with high levels of Anti aliasing or super-sampling. That argument is just stupid. The same way that a 480p video with MSAA or SSAA wont look anything like 1080p. This leaves reviewers with the problem of how to get across how nice the monitor looks when most people have 1080p screens so cant see 4K content. All i can say is that the monitor looks great, Bezel and all. The stand can be set any which way with full swivel and tilt with portrait mode supported. If that still isn't good enough for you, it has the option of VESA mounting so you can buy your own stand. As far as the TN panel goes, its amazing. Contrast isn't going to match an IPS panel, but colours (10bit panel), vibrancy the 1ms refresh time make up for this. Could not recommend this enough.
NOTE: you really do need a good GPU or 2 to run games on this monitor at 2160p (4k) I have Xfire R9 290s. Xfire averages 60fps with single GPU averages 30fps. You DO NOT need Anti-Aliasing at 4K unless your pixel peeping. If you can afford the extra performance, then knock yourself out (up until 2x or 4x MSAA) but don't waste performance on AA if it means losing out somewhere else.
77 comments51 of 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2014
This thing is absolutely beautiful. Much nice looking than anticipated. I'm a very picky guy when it comes to lcds but can't fault this. It comes with all cables you need even a dual dvi. The screen quality is perfect & when you watch videos on the right aspect ratio it's takes the while movie watching experience to the next level. I'm an engineer & have built a super powerful PC to run my simulations & perviously had 2 x 21.5 monitors. When I saw this I thought that extra width might be enough to have just one screen & boy I was right! I do a lot of multitasking & constantly have lots of pages open...pdfs spreadsheets word pages etc and this is just the perfect size to have two windows ops next to eachother. I'm hugely against 27 inch monitors...I think the 1080p height is the perfect size and anything bigger is just annoying so this aspect ratio is the sweet spot for me. All id say is if you're getting rid of two screens this is a very good solution. You could always have two 24 monitors but once you see this it. Lows you away and I could never have a bezel in the middle of the screen now. Great work great brand and it looks very smart. I like my screen very low so the adjustable screen is perfect! Cheers asus keep up the good work.
on 1 July 2014
This screen is amazing! I use it mostly for gaming and watching films. It makes everything look better! The stand is solid and the height adjustment is very useful. The monitor looks sexier than the pictures can give credit. The Mutts Nuts!
on 10 December 2014
Here's a screen that will give you a taste of the future.
The result is BREATHTAKING.

The following comments are those of a humble photographer and not one of a gamer. (Gamers will find countless reviews here and on the Internet forums and tests indicating this is an OUTSTANDING GAMERS' SCREEN).

My PC runs on Windows 7 Ultimate, Intel Core i7-3820 @ 3,6Ghz, 20Gb RAM and a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 760 AMP! Edition graphics card.
The screen is connected with the DisplayPort, resolution is 3840x2160 @ 60Hz.

The screen is WELL MADE and SOBER in DESIGN. So sober, in fact, that the control buttons are behind the screen. But don't worry, indications on the screen are logical, you'll only have to pinch with your thumb and index, and the index will naturally come and pinch the appropriate button. (Is that explicit? :-/)
Height adjustment, tilting and rotation of the screen are all very easily done. The screen CAN be set perpendicular to the stand, it can even tilt slightly downwards!

There is NO light leaking to be noticed. NO dead pixel.

DEFINITION, FINESSE of characters, precision of colours are superb, sublime. ANGLE OF VISION is FINE, if not somewhat sensitive/narrow for precision touching up work.

However : if one leaves Windows as is, everything will appear microscopic on this screen. One has to modify Windows' 7 parameters to display everything at 150% (Control panel/Appearance and Personalization/Display).
Some software are not (yet) adapted to this screen's resolution and will appear small. Firefox handles things well but I have added the Zoom (+/-) in the toolbar, to help facilitate viewing certain websites at the click of a button.

Photoshop CC 2014.2 (or later) is absolutely necessary to be able to work comfortably. Indeed this version of Photoshop has an option to double the size of the interface (Edit/Preferences/Experimental Features option 'Scale UI 200% for high-density displays (Windows only)'), a must if you wish to work comfortably with this screen.

[EDIT: As a professional photographer, I have never come across a screen that allows such PRECISION in the touching up of a photograph. Consequently and as far as I am concerned, the IPS vs. TN argument becomes somewhat obsolete here.]

In short, I think it is pretty clear, I am VERY SATISFIED with this acquisition.
on 28 August 2015
Having worked with an LG 29UM65 recently (an extra wide 29") I found the Asus PB287Q far better. Though I like the extra width of the LG, the 2560x1080 resolution isn't a match for the 3840 x 2160 4K of the Asus. Once you have the specs (and cabling) to feed the pixels, the image is wonderful.
The display is bright and and (at 60Hz) rock solid with great adjustable display. It's certainly comparable with the retina display of the macbook pro that drives it - not quite as crisp but too close to complain. All-in-all a great monitor.
on 22 September 2015
Great wide-screen monitor replacing 2x24" screens and very pleased with my 29-inch purchase. Using a nVidia GTX295 to drive the 2560x1080 output which needs to be set in the nVidia control panel as a custom resolution. Use nVidia video manual settings without changing any of the setting. I used a variety of 2560x1080 images to test screen to set the Desktop Background to ensure the screen is setup correctly. Using a Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to DisplayPort cable to connect for latop and HDMI cable for main PC. Both connection work at 2560x1080 resolution.Planning to use the same monitor with a MacBook Pro 15 and I am hoping the it will work - will update late on my findings, but technically with the same DisplayPort cable it should work.

I also like the Splendid color settings for viewing different material and calibrating the monitor is very easy for local conditions. I mainly use the standard mode for day work and Scenery Mode for videos/movies.
on 13 January 2016
After using this monitor for 6 months, initially loving it, now I hate it. Image quality and the visual part are excellent. Same is the stand, adjustable and convinient. However! There is a serious issue with waking up and detecting external inputs. The result is that I struggle to connect it as an external monitor. Tried three laptos (two Dells and an Acer) and sometimes works, more often it does not. The problem seems to be with the HDMI inputs. DisplayPort behaves more predictably. Having said that, there are minor issues with the DP. The computer will loose signal when it goes on standby. My solution to this is to keep the monitor & PC on all the time. However, connecting it with a laptop has been a nightmare.

If somebody has an advice or found a way to solve the issue, I'd be more than happy to increase my rating! However, as it is now I purchase this monitor so I can connect my work laptop and I cannot do it.