on 11 July 2014
4k need to be seen to be believed. It is not the same as 1080p with high levels of Anti aliasing or super-sampling. That argument is just stupid. The same way that a 480p video with MSAA or SSAA wont look anything like 1080p. This leaves reviewers with the problem of how to get across how nice the monitor looks when most people have 1080p screens so cant see 4K content. All i can say is that the monitor looks great, Bezel and all. The stand can be set any which way with full swivel and tilt with portrait mode supported. If that still isn't good enough for you, it has the option of VESA mounting so you can buy your own stand. As far as the TN panel goes, its amazing. Contrast isn't going to match an IPS panel, but colours (10bit panel), vibrancy the 1ms refresh time make up for this. Could not recommend this enough.
NOTE: you really do need a good GPU or 2 to run games on this monitor at 2160p (4k) I have Xfire R9 290s. Xfire averages 60fps with single GPU averages 30fps. You DO NOT need Anti-Aliasing at 4K unless your pixel peeping. If you can afford the extra performance, then knock yourself out (up until 2x or 4x MSAA) but don't waste performance on AA if it means losing out somewhere else.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2015
As a 4k monitor at good value this screen delivers everything you would expect.
The screen is matte and colour quality is very good. Don't expect NEC or Apple level colour accuracy with this, but with a little calibration the results are excellent.
The stand is good and heavy and keeps the display well anchored. The port access at the back however is irritatingly recessed, leading to the dreaded "reach in and scrape around" approach to plugging in cables.
The menu system is on screen using buttons hidden around the back of the monitor. It's a little fiddly to use because the buttons never line up with the menu items - leading you to count in from the edge or guess. Luckily I don't use these often.

Confirmed working in OS X Yosemite with Late 2013 Macbook Pro retina 13" (although not at 60z) and Late 2013 quad core Mac Pro with D300s (at full 60hz)
Install SwitchResX to run this display in 1080p with hiDPI to have a 28 inch retina display.
review image review image
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2015
If I buy any tech worth more than a couple of hundred pounds I'll always do a lot of comparative work to make sure that I get the best deal. In addition to ASUS I compared similar products from LG, Samsung, Phillips and BenQ. I wanted something that was good for work and for playing games. For my needs this monitor offered the best balance.

Standout points:
1. Solid base and stand; everything clicks and screws together well (no creaks or fiddly bits of plastic that might snap off).

2. After a little bit of playing around with settings it was set up. I'll probably play around with some of the smaller settings later but that would only be tweaking.

3. The screen is very good to look at, it has a matt finish and it looks cool and professional.

4. Outlook and Excel/Word side by side, plenty of space.

5. I told my wife I needed it for work (which I do) but I didn't tell her that I had also bought Elite Dangerous (she wouldn't understand why). Elite looks great and I've now a renewed interest in playing World of Tanks.

6. Some argue the loss of vertical height is too big a price to pay. For me there is more than enough vertical height to fill your vision. On the horizontal, I like consciously moving my eyes to take in what is displayed. It makes you feel that the game is going on around you as well as in front of you.

7. Internal speakers are sufficient nothing more. I suppose if you're going to drop £350 on a monitor then you can afford to get a half decent set of external speakers. I have some Harmon Kardon Sound sticks and they do the job.

8. I suppose this Asus is the more sober choice over a 27" BenQ but I'm a 46 year old, white collar professional. This is why when I buy things like wireless speakers or headphones I buy Bose and VModa rather than Jawbone and Dr Dre.

So I'm more than happy with the Asus, looking forward to using it and learning how to play Elite.
on 19 March 2015
One star for both the monitor and Amazon.

Received one directly from Amazon today. Box looked like it was opened before, all cardboard lips and edges worn and torn a little bit. Cables inside cobbled together from a bunch of retail versions. Power cable for the wrong country (European 2-bolt instead of UK). I have no issues being sent returns as long as everything is in order. Amazon - if you're sending returns, pay attention to what cables you're putting inside and how you package it - the monitor wasn't even fully covered by the protective cloth inside.

And to top it off no option to select courier collection when using Amazon's online return. On the phone I was told it was because Amazon are "upgrading the website", but that they "don't wish to speculate on when it would be available". Can't be that difficult, clearly something else going on, maybe trying to discourage customers from demanding courier collection, even when they send dodgy items.

The monitor itself suffers from brightness inconsistencies. Bottom and side edges are 20-30% darker than the rest of the display. Top edge is fine and uniform. My taskbar is at the bottom and it was difficult to see detail there. This may sound like a small problem, but is significant enough to warrant it unusable for me. Squinting for detail every time I look at the taskbar is not acceptable in a £600 display. The rest was okay, default colour not to my liking, but adjustable, resolution obviously as expected, possibly one (barely visible) dead pixel - hard to tell without a magnifying glass and I didn't bother as I knew it wouldn't work for me anyway due to brightness issues. Stand and build solid and as expected.

Perhaps it's a lemon and other units are stellar, and perhaps this is why this was previously returned as I believe it must've been judging by sub-par packaging, but I can only describe my experience with the product and the seller, both unfortunately negative. I definitely expected better from Amazon, but had no previous experience with Asus monitors - their other products worked fine for me.

Unfortunately this one's going back to Amazon.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2014
The good:
4k @ 60hz is incredibly. For professional work where screen real-estate is desired (i.e Programming), 4k is amazing.
Comes with some neat features (Not needed Picture-in-Picture but it's there and I like that).

The bad:
Requires some willingness to configure. It defaults to DP 1.1 instead of DP 1.2, which means by default it's limited to 30hz instead of the 60hz it can achieve with DP 1.2. Also defaults to a display mode that tries to modify the image coming from your PC, more like a TV does. These need changing by you before the monitor can really shine.
The buttons are awkwardly placed, making navigating the menus to make those changes fiddly.
TN screen isn't very noticeable, but is enough to make this unsuitable for professional colour work.

But for the price, these are minor issues (except the TN screen, which may be a deal breaker for a certain subset of people) and I can happily recommend this monitor.
on 13 November 2014
This thing is absolutely beautiful. Much nice looking than anticipated. I'm a very picky guy when it comes to lcds but can't fault this. It comes with all cables you need even a dual dvi. The screen quality is perfect & when you watch videos on the right aspect ratio it's takes the while movie watching experience to the next level. I'm an engineer & have built a super powerful PC to run my simulations & perviously had 2 x 21.5 monitors. When I saw this I thought that extra width might be enough to have just one screen & boy I was right! I do a lot of multitasking & constantly have lots of pages open...pdfs spreadsheets word pages etc and this is just the perfect size to have two windows ops next to eachother. I'm hugely against 27 inch monitors...I think the 1080p height is the perfect size and anything bigger is just annoying so this aspect ratio is the sweet spot for me. All id say is if you're getting rid of two screens this is a very good solution. You could always have two 24 monitors but once you see this it. Lows you away and I could never have a bezel in the middle of the screen now. Great work great brand and it looks very smart. I like my screen very low so the adjustable screen is perfect! Cheers asus keep up the good work.
on 1 July 2014
This screen is amazing! I use it mostly for gaming and watching films. It makes everything look better! The stand is solid and the height adjustment is very useful. The monitor looks sexier than the pictures can give credit. The Mutts Nuts!
on 16 July 2015
I bought this as I need a wide screen work area for music production, all I can say is that the screen is stunning... Crystal clear with plenty of space, Ideal if you use steinberg cubase and need to split the mixer and tracks.
review image
on 10 December 2014
Here's a screen that will give you a taste of the future.
The result is BREATHTAKING.

The following comments are those of a humble photographer and not one of a gamer. (Gamers will find countless reviews here and on the Internet forums and tests indicating this is an OUTSTANDING GAMERS' SCREEN).

My PC runs on Windows 7 Ultimate, Intel Core i7-3820 @ 3,6Ghz, 20Gb RAM and a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 760 AMP! Edition graphics card.
The screen is connected with the DisplayPort, resolution is 3840x2160 @ 60Hz.

The screen is WELL MADE and SOBER in DESIGN. So sober, in fact, that the control buttons are behind the screen. But don't worry, indications on the screen are logical, you'll only have to pinch with your thumb and index, and the index will naturally come and pinch the appropriate button. (Is that explicit? :-/)
Height adjustment, tilting and rotation of the screen are all very easily done. The screen CAN be set perpendicular to the stand, it can even tilt slightly downwards!

There is NO light leaking to be noticed. NO dead pixel.

DEFINITION, FINESSE of characters, precision of colours are superb, sublime. ANGLE OF VISION is FINE, if not somewhat sensitive/narrow for precision touching up work.

However : if one leaves Windows as is, everything will appear microscopic on this screen. One has to modify Windows' 7 parameters to display everything at 150% (Control panel/Appearance and Personalization/Display).
Some software are not (yet) adapted to this screen's resolution and will appear small. Firefox handles things well but I have added the Zoom (+/-) in the toolbar, to help facilitate viewing certain websites at the click of a button.

Photoshop CC 2014.2 (or later) is absolutely necessary to be able to work comfortably. Indeed this version of Photoshop has an option to double the size of the interface (Edit/Preferences/Experimental Features option 'Scale UI 200% for high-density displays (Windows only)'), a must if you wish to work comfortably with this screen.

[EDIT: As a professional photographer, I have never come across a screen that allows such PRECISION in the touching up of a photograph. Consequently and as far as I am concerned, the IPS vs. TN argument becomes somewhat obsolete here.]

In short, I think it is pretty clear, I am VERY SATISFIED with this acquisition.
on 18 October 2015
I am returning my second one of these. The first arrived and was clearly a return, with the seal on the box broken and with a US power lead. It would intermittently turn itself off. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and after a week or so it would not turn on. Amazon returns were awesome. Two days later I had the (still sealed) replacement. For two days it functioned perfectly and then switched itself off mid-use. After this it just wouldn't power back on. Some trouble-shooting later and it too is going back. The monitor was lovely whilst it worked. Amazon's service is also outstanding, but I can't help but wonder if there's some manufacturing issue going on here.