Asus PB287Q 28 inch Widescreen Ultra HD 4K LED Monitor (100M:1, 300 cd/m2, 3840 x 2160, 1ms, DP/HDMI/MHL)
Size: 28-inchStyle Name: DisplayPort HDMIChange
Price:£375.78+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 11 July 2014
4k need to be seen to be believed. It is not the same as 1080p with high levels of Anti aliasing or super-sampling. That argument is just stupid. The same way that a 480p video with MSAA or SSAA wont look anything like 1080p. This leaves reviewers with the problem of how to get across how nice the monitor looks when most people have 1080p screens so cant see 4K content. All i can say is that the monitor looks great, Bezel and all. The stand can be set any which way with full swivel and tilt with portrait mode supported. If that still isn't good enough for you, it has the option of VESA mounting so you can buy your own stand. As far as the TN panel goes, its amazing. Contrast isn't going to match an IPS panel, but colours (10bit panel), vibrancy the 1ms refresh time make up for this. Could not recommend this enough.
NOTE: you really do need a good GPU or 2 to run games on this monitor at 2160p (4k) I have Xfire R9 290s. Xfire averages 60fps with single GPU averages 30fps. You DO NOT need Anti-Aliasing at 4K unless your pixel peeping. If you can afford the extra performance, then knock yourself out (up until 2x or 4x MSAA) but don't waste performance on AA if it means losing out somewhere else.
on 9 February 2015
As a 4k monitor at good value this screen delivers everything you would expect.
The screen is matte and colour quality is very good. Don't expect NEC or Apple level colour accuracy with this, but with a little calibration the results are excellent.
The stand is good and heavy and keeps the display well anchored. The port access at the back however is irritatingly recessed, leading to the dreaded "reach in and scrape around" approach to plugging in cables.
The menu system is on screen using buttons hidden around the back of the monitor. It's a little fiddly to use because the buttons never line up with the menu items - leading you to count in from the edge or guess. Luckily I don't use these often.

Confirmed working in OS X Yosemite with Late 2013 Macbook Pro retina 13" and Late 2013 quad core Mac Pro with D300s.
Install SwitchResX to run this display in 1080p with hiDPI to have a 28 inch retina display.
review image review image
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 February 2015
If I buy any tech worth more than a couple of hundred pounds I'll always do a lot of comparative work to make sure that I get the best deal. In addition to ASUS I compared similar products from LG, Samsung, Phillips and BenQ. I wanted something that was good for work and for playing games. For my needs this monitor offered the best balance.

Standout points:
1. Solid base and stand; everything clicks and screws together well (no creaks or fiddly bits of plastic that might snap off).

2. After a little bit of playing around with settings it was set up. I'll probably play around with some of the smaller settings later but that would only be tweaking.

3. The screen is very good to look at, it has a matt finish and it looks cool and professional.

4. Outlook and Excel/Word side by side, plenty of space.

5. I told my wife I needed it for work (which I do) but I didn't tell her that I had also bought Elite Dangerous (she wouldn't understand why). Elite looks great and I've now a renewed interest in playing World of Tanks.

6. Some argue the loss of vertical height is too big a price to pay. For me there is more than enough vertical height to fill your vision. On the horizontal, I like consciously moving my eyes to take in what is displayed. It makes you feel that the game is going on around you as well as in front of you.

7. Internal speakers are sufficient nothing more. I suppose if you're going to drop £350 on a monitor then you can afford to get a half decent set of external speakers. I have some Harmon Kardon Sound sticks and they do the job.

8. I suppose this Asus is the more sober choice over a 27" BenQ but I'm a 46 year old, white collar professional. This is why when I buy things like wireless speakers or headphones I buy Bose and VModa rather than Jawbone and Dr Dre.

So I'm more than happy with the Asus, looking forward to using it and learning how to play Elite.
on 5 December 2014
The good:
Price
4k @ 60hz is incredibly. For professional work where screen real-estate is desired (i.e Programming), 4k is amazing.
Comes with some neat features (Not needed Picture-in-Picture but it's there and I like that).

The bad:
Requires some willingness to configure. It defaults to DP 1.1 instead of DP 1.2, which means by default it's limited to 30hz instead of the 60hz it can achieve with DP 1.2. Also defaults to a display mode that tries to modify the image coming from your PC, more like a TV does. These need changing by you before the monitor can really shine.
The buttons are awkwardly placed, making navigating the menus to make those changes fiddly.
TN screen isn't very noticeable, but is enough to make this unsuitable for professional colour work.

But for the price, these are minor issues (except the TN screen, which may be a deal breaker for a certain subset of people) and I can happily recommend this monitor.
on 22 March 2015
This 28" monitor arrived in a strong box not as bulky as the 27" Samsungs. While putting the Asus monitor together, the plastic feels solid and of good quality. Once the stand connected (don't overtighten by hand, use a driver for final tightening) the monitor feels sturdy enough. No cellophane-sweet-wrapper crackles when adjusting the angle/tilt/height. Just a silent smooth movement with good friction in all axes. Wires plug in with a nice reassuring 'thud'.

When connected and switched on: no wonder the pc pro guys mistook it for IPS. 10-bit colours are amazingly natural and needed very little adjustment. The monitor is gamma perfect and thus you are not allowed to adjust it. Only colour saturation, temp, skin tone, vivid-pixel, asus-splendid, and intensity are configurable. Photos are beautiful to look at even the old jpegs of my 10 year-old camera. Banding does appear in some dark areas on the screen (esp blue) but I believe this a limitation of the video card which can only output 8-bit per channel. Video suffers from LCD-syndrome (blocky and grainy in parts) but only when maximized. Windowed video looks perfect in its native format. Perhaps this 4k monitor needs a 4k source video to show its true worth. Text and icons on my computer desktop look really small and even when adjusted DPI to 150% some programs launch with tiny menus. Scrolling web pages and pdfs is still comfortable owing to the quick response of this monitor although I doubt it is a genuine 1ms. Rapidly scrolling text lags slightly in a very similar fashion to my old 5ms HP even when the Asus is overclocked (tracefree at 100% default is 60%).

4k games are eye-watering even at 30Hz with my mediocre GTX 750ti (don't have DP yet), and trust me anti-aliasing is a NON-issue at 3840x2160. Switch AA off completely and you'll thank me for the bonus frame rate. Night gaming at 30Hz should have been enjoyable but for some reason looks choppy, a paradox because our eyes are supposed to smooth out frame rates in the dark (hence hollywood film shot at 24-25Hz). Turns out the culprit is Asus pulse width modulation (PWM) of backlight brightness: meaning the LEDs pulsate to reduce brightness, the last thing a gamer needs. As if Asus engineers have never seen the.. lets call it.. TV-behind-a-fan effect (hence loses 1 star). Later after much tweaking and tinkering I decided to run this monitor at 2560x1600 which still looks fabulous. The monitor is still well calibrated at this penultimate resolution and text and icons are easily visible even when windows DPI is 100% albeit very slightly fuzzy. This fuzziness you only notice when you have been using native resolution for some time. At 2560x1600 games now run at 60Hz and still don't need AA except maybe low-FXAA. The frame rates improve due to this lower res and the flickering due to PWM-LED is almost gone when gaming in the dark. Don't buy this monitor if you are thinking of utilizing the 1920x1080 since this resolution I found to be non-gamma-calibrated and blacks became light grey. Lastly although the viewable area stops a couple mm short of the rim, it does measure exactly 28".

With the aggressive marketing strategies of the modern electronics industry, it is important to point out certain planned obsolescence features. In this monitor I could see very little PO. The buttons are accessed from behind and are relatively high, so have to be pinched with index and thumb to be pressed. This is feels awkward at first, and introduces some flexing and tilting of the panel which may wear the tilt friction joints. In contrast my old monitor buttons are underneath the panel allowing the weight of the panel to counteract all pressing force. On the PB287Q, the printed dots on the front will tell you when your thumb and hence finger are in the right place. These painted dots will eventually be rubbed out unless you refrain from using your thumb as guide. But the my main PO concern is the transformer (power supply) which is built into the main monitor body unlike some Samsung monitors. This means if the transformer ages or malfunctions and starts to whine, you have no option but replacing the whole monitor , rather than just the power supply (loses half a star)

To sum up this is a brilliant investment for those wishing to upgrade their displays from the low 20" inch range. Its 10-bit IPS-like color reproduction is excellent and difficult ot distinguish from IPS with a bonus quicker response time. Blacks are nice and dark, whites are solid paper white. Games look fantastic. Bear in mind if you are upgrading from 23-24", then 28" 4k only just cuts it. Remember the pixel density is very high and tends to make everything look quite small for a 28" display. Some people don't want to see the pixels, and if you are like this then the pb287q is yours. If on the other hand you don't mind a slightly larger pixel grid maybe you should wait the extra 6 months or pay £100-150 more and get a 32" 4k.
on 11 October 2014
Very good monitor. I love the 4k. You have to see it and use it to appreciate it.

When I look at my old monitor (Apple Thunderbolt 27") I find it so out of dated.
on 13 November 2014
This thing is absolutely beautiful. Much nice looking than anticipated. I'm a very picky guy when it comes to lcds but can't fault this. It comes with all cables you need even a dual dvi. The screen quality is perfect & when you watch videos on the right aspect ratio it's takes the while movie watching experience to the next level. I'm an engineer & have built a super powerful PC to run my simulations & perviously had 2 x 21.5 monitors. When I saw this I thought that extra width might be enough to have just one screen & boy I was right! I do a lot of multitasking & constantly have lots of pages open...pdfs spreadsheets word pages etc and this is just the perfect size to have two windows ops next to eachother. I'm hugely against 27 inch monitors...I think the 1080p height is the perfect size and anything bigger is just annoying so this aspect ratio is the sweet spot for me. All id say is if you're getting rid of two screens this is a very good solution. You could always have two 24 monitors but once you see this it. Lows you away and I could never have a bezel in the middle of the screen now. Great work great brand and it looks very smart. I like my screen very low so the adjustable screen is perfect! Cheers asus keep up the good work.
on 21 March 2015
I had high hopes for this monitor, unfortunately I have to agree with the first review.

I was exactly the target audience a professional that needed accurate colour and a gamer. The compromise to target both with an "IPS like" panel instead of a true IPS panel is a horrible brightness inconsistency which is, ironically dependent on your viewing angle. I've uploaded a video example. I can only liken it to having a really distracting smudge on your sunglasses. It's not good enough for gaming and especially not professional colour work.

Pros:

Great colour on bright images.
Sharp amazing looking text.
Solid build and great ergonomics.

Cons:

Horrible brightness inconsistency on darker visuals.
Viewing angle on darker images is also really bad even from the front.
Doesn't run in 60hz as standard you need to tweak the display port stream settings and windows settings.
Awkward display controls hidden away on the back.

**Doesn't come with a UK plug from Amazon EU** - this is also frustrating as it is not mentioned in the description.

Fortunately Amazon's speedy customer service and great return policy helped scrape another star back.
on 28 August 2014
Awesome monitor just make sure you use display-port and change it in the menus to the 60hz version. I didn't you had to select it manually. near zero lag with d-port!!! hdmi was quite a bit of input lag though so I recomend getting a gpu with displayport I am going through min d-port to the monitor.
on 1 July 2014
This screen is amazing! I use it mostly for gaming and watching films. It makes everything look better! The stand is solid and the height adjustment is very useful. The monitor looks sexier than the pictures can give credit. The Mutts Nuts!