on 11 May 2014
I cannot believe that this did not win - simple and beautifully sung, it was going around my head for the rest of the evening. I didn't watch the whole show, switched over to see how far they had got and this was just starting. When I heard this morning that it had only come second I was amazed. A touch of the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss about it (not a bad thing!). I will certainly be looking out for their album in the future.
on 11 May 2014
I agree with the previous reviewer. I listened to a few songs and fast forwarded through the rest. This is a beautiful and haunting song, no gimmicks etc. I watched the voting and I was willing it to win. What is the betting this will beat the winner in the long run? Get it now.
on 11 May 2014
Definitely agree with other reviews, best song by far on euro, but not gimmicky enough for euro. But I will definitely be keeping an eye out for this band I think they will have a great future
on 11 May 2014
This song grabbed me the first time I heard it, love it more with each listen. Think Eurovision has introduced the Common Linnets to a huge audience and I'm sure we will be listening to their music long after the winner has been forgotten!
on 13 May 2014
When I first heard this song on the Eurovision Song Contest I couldn't believe how good it was. The Common Linnets performed it brilliantly and got a well deserved second place. Personally I think it should have won the whole damn thing. Definitely recommend it to anyone who likes well written songs in the style of Alison Krause, Sheryl Crow, Lady Antebellum etc.
on 15 May 2014
"Calm After The Storm" by the Dutch "songbirds" Ilse DeLange and Waylon, who formed country-duo The Common Linnets to represent the Netherlands at the recent 2014 European Eurovision Song Contest, was one of the most interesting tunes in that Contest. A musical oasis among a desert of mostly pompous, flash-over-substance tunes, it finished in second place. Nearly a week later, the other songs already seem all but forgotten, while "Calm After The Storm" belies its name and is storming all the major hit lists in Europe.

This country-bluegrass song is simply a consistently high number that is executed to perfection. Deceptively simple, at first it might not seem like much but it definitely grows on you. The voices of Ilse and Waylon blend well together and their warm harmonies evoke a restrained emotional power, entwined as they are with a subtle but elegant melody that is layered over an understated guitar riff, resulting in a ballad of unsurpassed eloquence.

The best part? Their self-titled album The Common Linnets is also out now, and "Calm After The Storm" isn't even the best track on that record!
on 11 May 2014
Really don't know why the didn't win...
Such a beautiful song! Love It so much and had it on repeat an unhealthy number of times!
on 12 May 2014
Should have won the competition ! Simple tune and very catchy. The song and group were not going for the shock vote,
on 13 May 2014
Thought this should have won Eurovision this year. The only song I actually wanted to hear again and buy. A lovely melodic song with great harmonies and quite understated.
on 13 May 2014
A good measure of Sting. A spoonful of Springsteen.seasoned with country and western and a pinch of Chris Isaac. And a gentle stir of poetry = perfect song.