on 13 April 2014
Lovely tale that I initially thought was just a MM romance despite the hints given in the blurb. It is actually a paranormal romance but it only hints there is more than just a normal run of the mill cruel nutter bullying the town for quite a while. Tale well told. Definitely makes you root for the characters. Rudy has learning difficulties and is pretty well written. She keeps him simple none of this sudden sophistication that authors fall foul of to make the 'kids' cute or drive the plot. He stays in character and drives the plot.
My only disappointment is they meet and it is virtually instant love. A pet peeve of mine.
on 27 March 2014
4 1/2 Hearts

Jon had his life shattered when what should have been an easy pick-up went wrong, he was left the only person alive because a vision of his dead brother had him freezing, and the guilt eats away at him every day. A chance meeting with Rudy and Ellis in the park in Gilford has Jon rethinking the choice he is about to make, but will he be able to overcome the guilt of the past to move forward towards a future? Ellis has spent the last twenty years isolated as he looks after his older mentally disabled brother, shunned by many of the town Ellis spends his days playing games and watching cartoons, until a chance meeting gives Ellis the chance of something more. But, just as Ellis & Jon begin to enjoy their time together, a threat comes from the town bully.

This is an incredible story of two men from very different walks of life beginning to find peace in the other. Jon has a shocking amount of guilt over what happened when his best friend and partner was killed, it eats away at him until he can take no more and it is only the bright spark he feels when he meets Rudy and Ellis that has him fighting the darkness that tries to consume him. Ellis is alone; he struggles everyday with looking after Rudy, his older mentally disabled brother, and keeping him out of trouble and with the town looking down on them he has no one to turn to and no friends. The first spark of hope for Ellis comes from Jon, a man Rudy befriends in the park, but there are others in town who want to make sure that Ellis and Rudy never find happiness.

I loved this story; it is amazingly written and at times brought tears and smiles. Rudy is brilliantly written, he is brought to life and never ignored, a childlike mind in a man’s body, and his simple thinking and actions has you forgetting just how old he really is. Ellis is an incredible man who gave up any dreams he ever had when he was only twelve, taking care of his brother has left him isolated but he would never dream of putting Rudy in a home, he might be lonely, get stressed and upset but he loves his brother unconditionally. Jon is a wounded soul, he has come to Gilford to hide rather than heal, and he is haunted by failure. These three men are wonderful and you take them all to heart, and there is something about Rudy and Jon that is just extra special.

The storyline is brilliant as we fall into something that is just a touch evil; it hovers in the background but you know there is something that is driving some actions. The characters are wonderful even those who aren’t very nice, they add a great dose of realism as the setting is 1992 in a small town and some minds were still closed to those who were gay or mentally disabled. The relationship that develops between Jon and Ellis is extra special; it touches your heart as you see Jon sinking into the comfort of Ellis and as Ellis trusts Jon not just with his brother, but also with his own innocence and heart. Their relationship is sweet and I loved how the sexual aspects were written, Ellis’ fear of sex, of failure and the lack of confidence that a man like Jon could really want him really shines through and makes you realize just how isolated he really was. Ah, while I would like to go on and on about this story I am itching to read Rule Four & Five so I will leave you with these words… GET THIS BOOK!

I recommend this to those that love a story that has characters who have a hard road to travel, finding happiness when you never expected it, fighting against bigotry and hatred, who love a story that has a thread of paranormal, and special characters who deserve all the love in the world.
on 5 December 2014
I think this is a case of finding the right reader. Though the book could have done with a little more editing, it was fairly well written and Jon, Ellis and Rudy were likeable characters. (Even if Ellis could have easily been a woman. He acted much like a typical virginal het romance lead.) So there are a lot of reasons for people to like this book.

However, it turns out not to fall in my preferred reading arena. The main reason is that I'm not particularly turned on by the whole clumsy first timer trope. Virgins who looks at their partners with big innocent eyes and ask things like, 'What do I do?' and say things like, 'but I want to make it good for you.' do nothing for me. In fact, all the gentle instruction sex turns me off. It's at all not my kink, so to speak. I know some readers love this stuff, but I'm not one of them. This made it hard for me to really appreciate this book.

As for the rest of the plot, the supernatural aspect of it is VERY light. Maybe it picks up in the rest of the series, but there is very little of it here. There is insta-love and then a lot of convenient events pushing the characters together, but it's all very sweet, if you like that sort of thing. It's also a little on the unbelievable side. But again, if you like the sort of thing, it's not too bad.

I would have given this a solid three stars until I reached then end and the stupid, precipitous cliffhanger. Grrr. For the right reader, this will probably be a big winner.
on 23 June 2014
This is a wonderful tale about two brothers and their amazing relationship. About the love, the caring that Ellis gives his brother and the determination he has to keep him safe. The complete trust Rudy has in his brother is also beautiful.
Ellis has been caring for Rudy since the age of 12yrs, almost 20yrs now. And then Jon comes into theirs lives.
Jon has his own troubles but meeting Ellis was magic for the both of them. Their love grows and soon the three are a happy little family.
But trouble is brewing in a man named Lenny. He's vile and evil and has it in for them because Rudy is mentally disabled and Jon and Ellis are gay. Not only does he want to hurt them but he won't stop till he has killed them.
This book is compelling and emotional reading. You won't want to put it down.
Thank god it's a trilogy. Fantastic reading. Highly recommend.
on 11 May 2014
Part sweet romance part erotic psychological thriller, although this book is the first part of a series it can be read as a standalone. All three main characters are damaged, some less obviously than others. Most memorable is Rudy - a six or seven year old boy in a 45 year old body - who was both amusing and tragic. Self-denying brother Ellis was well drawn, as was doomed ex-cop Jon, saved from suicide by the love and faith of the brothers.
Warning: if you read on in the series be prepared for the story to get MUCH darker.
on 17 April 2016
We I loved it!! This book pushes huge feelings through you. I have laughed smiled and cried, I've held my breath and been desperate to get to the end and also hoped it would never end! I can't wait to get to book two and find out where these beautiful men go from here. I suggest you give them a read if you love a love story this is for you especially if you love troubled men who can heal each other.
on 1 June 2014
I can't wait to read the next book because this one was fantastic and a very good romance and I'll read it as I know it's going to good.
Yes I'd recommend this book to anyone who likes a good romance and this is the one to read and enjoy.
on 31 October 2014
What a great read this was I couldn't put this down.I loved Ellis and his brother Rudy was adorable.Jon comes along and they make a nice little family with a lot of ups and downs you got to read this you won't be disappointed.
on 5 January 2015
I loved reading this book. It was very heart warming but a little short. I would recommend buying the complete set instead of individual as you will want to keep reading to find out what happens next.
on 11 May 2014
Great story, very touching and emotional from the start, would highly recommend this read. Once you start reading it you won't put it down.