Format: Audio CD|Change

The 42 tracks on this 4 disc set reflect the Classic FM radio listeners votes for their favourite piece of classical music of all time. Included also are some of the previous number ones from the chart's 17 year history.

Noteworthy are the appearances in the chart, and included on this set, of two scores from video games - the Main Theme from Final Fantasy (performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra and Andrew Skeet), and the uplifting theme from Elder Scrolls V- Skyrim by American composer Jeremy Soule. Both of these pieces are, for me, well worthy of their place in today's classical chart and help bring this type of orchestral music to a new generation of enthusiasts.

The old favourites from Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Elgar and more are deservedly here and Vaughan Williams wins this year's top spot, by listener's votes, with the perennial favourite `Lark Ascending'.

Orchestras, conducters and soloists are top class as always with Classic FM `Best Of' compilations, and include the London Symphony Orchestra, Royal Contertgebouw, Zubin Mehta, Sir Neville Marriner, Sir Charles Mackerras, Sir Georg Solti, The Sixteen, Yehudi Menuhin and many, many more.

There may be a little repetition from previous Classic FM collections, but this is a nice selection of classical music representing the traditional and the new contenders for future years.
0Comment|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The music on this collection is varied, from all styles and group sizes and instrumentalists. The Classic FM Hall of Fame is a collection of the favourite music as voted by listeners of Classic FM. There are 4 CD's included with 42 tracks in total.

The standard of the recordings on this collection is second to none. You have conductors such as Zubin Mehta, Sir Neville Mariner, Sir Charles Mackerras, and Sir George Solti to name just a few.

Soloists included in this set include Ji Liu, Emma Johnson and Kyung Wha Chung.

Overall, this is a great collection of some of the most well known and popular classical music, played by some of the worlds finest musicians.

Recommended.
on 30 April 2014
For someone who isn't a true aficionado of classical music but like a broad selection - this album was an ideal 'taster' of a great range of classical music. 42 tracks for a very reasonable price. Good value for money.
on 21 April 2014
A nice varied album with lots of my favourite music on. Importantly the quality of the recording is very good, which makes all the difference.
on 17 May 2014
Much to enjoy as we are travelling around this Summer .... All our favourites in one place ....especially as I am a real RVW fan
on 13 May 2014
This is what I have been waiting for. 5 hours of beautiful music,non stop one after another!!! Having had a 6 disc CD player installed in my car the longest journeys go by as if by magic. I heartily recommend this CD compiation to onr and all.
on 26 April 2014
4 cd's of popular classical music tracks - good price and promptly delivered - ideal for relaxation on long journeys.
on 14 May 2014
I am rally enjoying the mix of music on this CD set. All my personal favourites including my top 3 choice plus some variations and two new pieces that are a worthy addition to this CD set.
on 26 May 2014
A superb compilation that I have thoroughly enjoyed since purchasing it at Easter. The mix of pieces has fit really nicely into my life at this time. I have enjoyed the full compilation at home, in the car and on the mp3 player on the bike and out running. A thoroughly recommendable collection. I have a full appreciation of all musical genre from Heavy metal to Heavy classics and this collection has been a wonderful re-introduction to listening to classical music following my neglect of this area over the last few years.

Great Collection. John R Frazer.
on 24 May 2014
I have it in the car to ensure that there is always something I like to listen to. Good range of music - including some I've never heard of. I wish they had given a bit more information on the leaflet enclosed - like the first names of the composers, dates of writing of the pieces and their length at least. I would also have been interested to know where on the Hall of Fame chart they came. Some pieces they don't even give the names of the soloist/s/singer/s