TOP 50 REVIEWERon 21 July 2014
I have both 2013 and 2014 Samsung model TV's. The UE22H5600 is a stunning TV and the only real difference is the Samsung Hub, v1 on the 2013 and v2 on the 2014 models. March 2015 Edit to this review, the TV now also has the BBC Connected Red Button service (added end March 2015) replacing basic digital text.

What's good about the UE22H5600 and UE22H5610 TVs?

- Really crisp picture for a 22", Full HD 1080P
- Clean & Simple Design
- Freeview + Freeview HD
- Great sound this year, with added option of: DTS TruSurround, DTSDialog, Equaliser to enhance the sound
- BBC, ITV, C4, C5 Catch-Up (Only brand at this time to offer all 4)
- Improved Smart Hub: A bit easier to use, update apps, access network, NAS, etc
- BBC Connected Red Button service
- Works seamlessly with my Synology NAS, over DLNA. Also connects to your PC with ease
- Wifi plus Ethernet Connection (I use wired with a powerplug for optimum speed, quality and reliability)
- Connect your Dropbox or Microsoft OneDrive Storage Service
- Connect your Phone using Samsung Smart View 2.0 App
- Plays all Audio and Video formats I've thrown at it so far
- 75mm VESA mounting holes on the back for wall-mount brackets. The positioning is near to the top of the set, so think about the style of wall-mount bracket if you don't want to see it poking above the TV.

Updating Firmware:

On 2013 model Samsung TV's, updating the firmware via the TV or via the 'Auto Update' option did not work. It appears this has been fixed on the new 2014 models. I'm now asked to update on screen when an update is available. This helps save a lot of time.

If you do need to manually update the Firmware on a V1 or V2 Samsung Hub, follow this process...

Find your TV on the Samsung Website > Click 'Support' > Download the Update > Unzip > Copy file to USB pen drive > Connect Pen Drive to TV > Press 'Menu' on Remote > On TV click 'Support' > Click 'Software Update' > 'Yes' to the message about Pen Drive.

*If the 'Software Update' option is greyed out give the menu time to fire up, it will appear eventually.

*And to see the current Firmware version on your TV, click Menu > Support > Contact Samsung

Samsung in my experience = Good Products, but support and website could be better.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This TV comes in a slimline box: not heavy: easily handled by one person. Inside the box is the TV, held in place by two firm polystyrene mouldings, the stand in a bag and a separate bag of fixing screws and documentation.

The stand is easily assembled: two vertical bars slide into slots in the TV and are fixed in place by two screws each. Five minutes work. I like the styling of this stand: it makes the set unobtrusive by sitting the TV low on the surface.

If you want to wall mount the TV, don't fit the stand. There are standard fixing holes on the rear of the TV for your mounting kit.

Switching on, the TV takes the owner through a pretty intuitive set-up and tuning routine, all controlled through the remote. It connected without fuss to our wireless router, requiring only that I put in our security code. Tuning into the available analogue and digital stations took a few minutes and that was it. The set checked for firmware upgrades (there weren't any required) and was ready to use with a minimum of fuss.

The remote control is a standard Samsung design, in white to match the set. It has a good feel to it and all the keys seem to operate with equal pressure.

The TV picture is full HD and very good. The sound is much, much better than the four-year old budget set that this unit is replacing. The Smart features are there immediately as a result of setting up connection with the router. In short, everything we wanted with no hassle.

In summary, this is a very good Smart TV with superb picture and good sound. The white colour makes it perfect for many settings including kitchens. There might be similar specification machines available more cheaply but this is one of those instances where the price is definitely justified by the quality and capability of the product. Five stars and an unhesitatingly positive recommendation.
on 22 November 2014
First off, this is a great little TV, I trawled the internet looking for a TV as feature heavy as this one and nothing comes close as this price bracket.

The Good:

Picture Quality
Full HD (1080p) in a compact and attractive 22" frame. For this size of television full HD is a little overkill but the picture looks amazing, even programs that are being upscaled look sharp and the colours have a great vibrancy about them, couple that with its fast 100Hz refresh rate and this TV can competently handle anything you want to use it for from streaming, movies, watching TV or even using it as a supplementary PC monitor.

Apps and programs
The vast array of apps cover most media that you would want, some of the reviews list some omissions but for the most part the most popular programs are here such as iplayer, netflix or youtube and internet browser.

Recording
Recording function allows you to easily record programs on to an external memory stick or hard drive (not provided) and also to pause and subsequently fast forward live tv if you fancy grabbing a cup of tea in the middle of watching something or if you just can't stand those ad breaks.
Note: this is only a single channel tuner so you can't watch one program while recording another but it does work in the background if you are using an on demand streaming service or a connected device.

Connectivity
Boasting 2 HDMI ports (NOT 3 - like the system features said on amazon), 2 USB ports, component (RGB), digital optical, IR and one SCART. There is no VGA port which would be nice but most bases are covered. Many wired keyboards and mice are also supported as some of the features are not ideal for navigation with the tv remote.

Video playback
The software in this tv will handle most video file types that are thrown at it, for the devices I have, only the PC with custom codecs offers more.

The Bad:

Standby light
What were they thinking?!?
The standard sandby light is a small LED that glows red, for some reason Samsung designed this tv with a large red block that glows red on the bottom, this is not a good idea for a tv that in all likelihood will end up in someones bedroom. Less of a standby light and more of a night light!

Sound
While no effort was spared with the visuals the same can't be said for the sound. Modern flat panel TVs have traditionally suffered with sound and while this is by no means bad in the scheme of things its not that great either, I have noticed excessive vibration caused by certain frequencies but this is a rare occurance.

Latency
While the review states: "The powerful Quad Core processor in the H5600 significantly boosts performance with faster access to Smart features and true multitasking capabilities," the performance is not quite so snappy. The apps are organised in to 5 different panes and I have noticed a variable degree of latency between inputs and response as well as programs such as the electronic program guide (EPG) updating, the television has been noted to crash while while loading apps causing either freezes or shutdowns.

Netflix
The apps are good for the most part, roughly the equivelent of what you would see on a iOS or android device although I was very disappointed by the Netflix app. The login details are not saved after turning off the television making you have to manually input your email and password each time, this is exacerbated by the slow input of a tv remote. I have taken to using my PS3 for many of the Smart features which are just more responsive than the TV apps. Perhaps a future update will sort this out but a quick search revealed with is an old problem which has still not been rectified. Likewise youtube can easily become uncoupled forcing you to login to a computer and input a code in order to authorise your user profile on the TV.

Smart View
Smart view is an app which you can download for your smart devices such as iphones/pads, android phones and tablets etc, in principle it is a good idea, it allows you to use your device as a tv remote and also allows you to stream content from the TV; in reality it was a pain to get it to work, very little can actually be streamed on my (admittedly) aging iphone and the remote is too laggy be a reliable remote alternative, which is a shame because while the technology and use of televisions has changed through the years, the technology behind the remotes has not and an anologue touchpad is badly needed for many of the features. I'd advise people to connect a mouse and not bother with smart view.

Recording and Digital Rights Management
In the age of digital 'the man' needed a way to control content and DRM was the answer. DRM is used in the tv to encrypt any program you record to the television from which it was recorded, so you can't record from this tv and watch it on another even if it is the same model. This is quite reasonable in my view, but what happens when it goes wrong? Well it did for me. Recording the odd episode of frasier and magnum pi was an important criteria for my choice of purchase, however, something went wrong and everything I record is locked by DRM and unavailable to watch on any device including the one on which it was recorded - if jurassic park taught us anything it is that if somethin can go wrong it will go wrong! and on a tv with so many features that is potentially a lot that can go wrong. Which bring me to....

Customer service
Having developed a problem with my TV I sent samsung an email, I included just about every step I could think of to rectify the problem; format hard drive, change hard drive, update sofwate, factory reset etc only to be advised by increments to repeat all the steps I had already told them I had done with each email responded to with the qualifying statement: "We are currently receiving a high volume of enquiries however one of our colleagues will be in touch with you at the soonest opportunity" and each reply taking on average about 2 days. After 2 weeks of these not so helpful responses I was advised that they would need to seek advice from a senior technician and after over a week I have heard nothing more. I'm sure amazon will be better to deal with but once the warrenty is gone from amazon be very wary of Samsung - a giant of a company that clearly does not invest adequately for the size of the their customer base.

Future proofing
Just a warning about the nature of Smart TV's. Smart TV's are so called because of their ability to connect to the internet and use apps to access content, they are not as some might think able to manage your household budget, advise you where to go on holiday or provide you with a sympathetic view of how your last relationship went wrong. Many of the apps are reliant on updates to continue to work but it is in the interest of companies such as Samsung to sell you new products and not invest in updating old ones. There is no set lifespan for these devices but just as old smartphones can no longer update to latest firmware the same will happen with apps on Smart TV's and eventually they will become not so smart.

Summary
The fundamentals are handled so well on this set that it is still a good tv even with some of the drawbacks I have found with the bells and whistles.
on 5 June 2015
Beautiful little TV. But be warned it doesn’t come with the latest firmware update installed and it is not yet possible to download this directly through the tv as of 04.06.15. And said update is required to run Netflix.

How to resolve those pesky Netflix issues:

After spending three hours trying everything and eventually calling Netflix and Samsung directly, I can confirm the best workaround is to visit the Samsung UK website, enter your product number and manually download the latest firmware update. Transfer it to a USB stick, open the folder to extract the files. Then bung it into the tv USB port, go to settings, manual software update, then select “yes” when it asks if you want to install directly from the USB.

Not only does this fix the Netflix problem, it also allows you to stay logged in to Netflix without having to enter your info every time.

This took waaaay more effort get working than my LG tv. 15 minutes to put up a wall bracket and attach the tv, and two and half hours to get Netflix to work! I hope this review saves you some time until the firmware update is made available to download straight through the tv.
on 28 September 2014
Samsung makes great TV's that surpass every other manufacturer in their class. I have two Samsung's in my house and I can tell you the image is beautiful. This TV has an LED screen and in my opinion this the way to go (LED is similar to LCD its back-lit better so that they are no dark spots on the screen).

Now add in that this TV can directly connect to the internet and I'm sold. TV's of this class have never been cheaper.

One thing that I have found with TV's that its very important to actually look at the TV in person. Now when you look at the TV's, go to a place like Walmart to see them, because many times specialty stores like Best Buy play with the lighting controls on the TV and in the store to skew the image to there advantage. Once you look at the TV simply look and decide which one looks better to you.

The next step to take into consideration is features. Here are a few that come with this TV:

This Samsung comes with Auto Volume which automatically adjusts the volume of the desired channel, lowering the sound output when the modulation signal is high or raising the sound output when the modulation signal is low. This reduces the difference in volume when changing channels. The Auto Volume feature can be set to Normal, Night or Off.

As far as outputs most of these TV's will come with more than enough Inputs and Outputs. This TV comes with 3 HDMI Audio/Video In, 1 Ethernet LAN In/Out, 1 RCA Component Audio/Video In amd 1 Digital Coaxial Audio Out.

Next thing when shopping for a TV is in box technology. Here are some of the features of this TV:

With this Smart HDTV there is a full web browser with WiFi built-in apps made for TV. Some of the apps this TV features is Hulu Plus, YouTube, Netflix, Facebook, and Twitter. Browse the web while you watch movies and TV shows, and enjoy TV while you chat with friends and family online, all on one screen with this Samsung.

Thank you for reading my review, if you have any questions feel free to email me, I would be happy to help you with any questions you have.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 19 June 2014
This TV does now support Prime instant by adding an app from the store.

Also supports Plex app to interface to Plex Media Servers and allows you to record HD TV via a recording schedule onto a USB hard disk or stick.
on 24 October 2014
Its almost winter here now, the last of the warm summer drizzle has give way to a cold driving rain. so it was when I woke up and discovered my old TV had died. I selected this Samsung UE22H5600 22 inch for my bedroom replacement.

I love it, what do I want from a TV?
Full HD 1080p, - tick
100 hz Clear Motion rate (CMR), are twice or more than the traditional 100Hz/200Hz refresh rate figures - tick, 100hz - tick,
1920 x 1080 - tick,
Freeview (+HD TV) stations - tick,
great (loud) sound, usually watch at around 25 this goes up to 75 - tick,
Headphone jack - tick,
Easy to set up - tick,
Blue tooth wireless - tick,
Back light - tick,

What I don't want? 3d, curved, built in DVD. So for the money this is a well built, simple to use TV with a great picture.

Couple of notes, the "quick start" guide seems to indicate the stand fits on the wrong way compared to the full manual, and for my taste the standard picture is a little bright - but this is simple to change to a personnel setting.

I'm simple so not sure why one needs the smart phone links, networking etc - I want to watch TV on a TV! The red button for BBC does work, contrary to another review. Overall, great - go by one before the snow starts
on 15 August 2014
I received this tv yesterday to replace my old 19 inch Samsung tv and have carrying out some tests since.

General:

First off the tv looks great, slim, simple design and a discreet stand. The tv sits on the stand and four screws hold it in place. For me the screws hadn’t been into the stand before so were very stiff as they bit into the material. I’d recommend screwing to screws into the stand and taking them out again before attaching it to the tv. The remote is pretty standard with nice big buttons. It is sometimes a little slow when moving through lots of menus, but you can attach a keyboard and mouse if you really wanted to.

Most of the connections are listed in the spec. However I had read one review saying it didn’t have a headphone out socket, well it definitely does. Also, the two USB sockets are 2.0, or at least they are not blue like 3.0.

Online features:

I have mine connected with an Ethernet home plug and it runs brilliantly. It has shown no buffering so far using the catch up services, all of which are included in the UK. It also has Netflix and Amazon instant. The movie renting service on the smart hub is run by Wuaki, the service owned by the Play .com site. I haven’t used it but seems pretty standard. There is also a web browser which you use the remotes arrows to move a cursor around and select items. It can be a little slow and laggy but works well enough. It also seems to play videos within the browser, though I have only tried videos on the bbc website. It has a large amount of apps to choose from with the likes of facebook, twitter, youtube and plex etc.

Smart view app:

You can download onto a computer, tablet or smart phone the Samsung app called smart view 2.0, I have only tried it on a laptop. This syncs your device with the tv so you can view the tv channel you are watching on that device. You can also use it as a remote control. On my test I was playing a PS3 while the tv channel was streaming on my laptop. You can also drag and drop photos, videos and music into the app which will then automatically be shown on the tv. It will play almost any video file, including MKV’s.

Recording to USB:

Despite what I had read on the online manual you can actually record and pause tv shows using a USB memory stick, not just a hard disk drive. It’s important to consider the drive should be at least reasonably fast. My old USB stick runs with 11mb/s write speed which is probably average. Once inserting and pressing record the tv will ask to format the drive to its own standards. If it doesn’t then insert the drive into a computer and format it to ‘FAT’ and try again. I tried with FAT 32 and it didn’t recognise it.

Once formatted you are free to pause live tv, instant record or set shows to record. I have found that you can record one channel whilst watching another, though it is sometimes limited. For instance I could record bbc 1 and watch bbc 2 but not itv. Similarly I could record itv and watch channel 4 but not bbc channels. I don’t know what determines this but it sometimes differed. You can select a show to record from the guide and leave the tv in standby and it will record fine.

Final thoughts:

I have mainly addressed features in this review that I couldn’t find much about before buying. All in all I am very impressed with the tv and all its bells and whistles. It was almost worth upgrading just to get all the main channels in HD. Sound is pretty average for tv’s this size though I have mine connected to a 2.1 system.
A small side note for PS3 users – If you get a flickering picture when connected with HDMI at 1080p then go to settings – display settings and turn off ‘Deep colour output’, seemed to fix things.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 17 July 2014
From the instant I turned on this TV I was impressed. I am a big fan of Samsung televisions, a 40" series 3 being my main set. It is six years old and not an inkling of any faults. Hence why I stuck to the same brand. Setup was quick and easy. The built in wifi works a treat, with the smart function this is an awesome addition to my bedroom. Fantastic amazon prime app makes this an easy choice as a second TV. Next I think my 40" is due an upgrade. Samsung all the way of course 👍
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Just got this TV for my refreshed office. I wanted a white TV with full HD, not just because of aesthetics but also to be used as a testing tv for the Android TV Boxes that i review on my channel. And i must say that this was a perfect choice.

Questions that i had that might be usefull to others:
- Is the screen Matte or Glossy? - Its Matte looks really nice and avoids reflections
- Is the stand metallic or plastic? - Its a Silver Plastic that looks metallic on the top. On the bottom we will find 2 metallic feet that will sustain the tv and the top part is made of plastic.

All in all im really happy with the TV so far. I will leave some pics and will update my review once i have a video on my channel that features this TV so that i can better show the image quality (That its great)
review image review image review image