on 18 July 2014
Ordered this for my parents after they decided against a samsung when comparing the picture quality with an LG set.
All I can say is that for the money this is a superb TV and buying from Amazon we have saved around £80!
The build quality of this TV is outstanding for the money, the stand is actually brushed stainless steel and looks stunning, although buyers must be aware that the TV does not swivel on its stand, its a lightweight unit so this its not a problem as you can pick up the unit and move to the position you want. The the slim matt silver frame around the screen also gives the set an air of quality and looks much better than the cheap looking shiny black plastic surround of the Samsung sets!

Now, on to the picture Quality, WOW, all I can say is that it is simply awesome, having full HD on a 32 inch set rather than HD ready really makes a hell of a difference to the sharpness and colour saturation, reds, greens and blues really jump out of the screen at you! The sound is not too bad but its the same with all flat screen TVs because of the space allowed for decent speakers, but it is acceptable. You could, at a later date, add a sound bar if you wanted too!

Oh, nearly forgot, the WiFi is a real boon, you can now go straight to Iplayer and watch the programs you missed!
Oh and the set took just 20mins to put together and set up, with no mixing up of the channels like some sets are prone to do!

This really is a cracking TV for the money and hey, please don't be put off by the LG name, they are not a cheap brand that some folk (brand snobs!) seem to think and they don't make appliances for anyone else as some folk (brand snobs!) will tell you! They make some superb products, just take a look at their Washing machines with Direct drive...Amazing appliances!

Nearly forgot, this TV is a brand new 2014 model with all the latest features, not a reduced to clear product like some third parties on Amazon sell!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 October 2014
Bought this TV as i was looking for a cheap Smart HD TV for my room. Superb quality for the price. Easy to set up, excellent audio and picture, other than the Smart aspect of the TV the menus are quick and easy to use. Would definitely recommend this TV, for the price its and absolute steal.
on 18 December 2014
I really love this telly. The sound, as others have said, isn''t great and I overcame this by getting an LG soundbar (probably any soundbar or add-on speakers would do as well) and although it's still not perfect, I'm unsure whether this is to do with the quality of sound delivered with the programme or the actual sound coming from the soundbar because I've noticed a substantial difference in sound quality when watching HD delivered programmes (ie it's much better!)

The HD Freeview Tuner works with both VuTV and TV Player (both are channels within the Freeview platform but are extras which one can subscribe to) - I previously had TalkTalk and their boxes do NOT facilitate either of those two platforms so rubbish are they.

The Freeview Tuner is obviously HD and the HD quality is superb.

The internet (wi-fi) connection can be a problem but if you wire it initially, it will download the latest version of the software and, once I'd done that, I found the wi-fi worked perfectly (before the update, wifi kept dropping off each time I turned off the TV requiring a full re-connection with putting password in etc every time which was a pain).

I've also got a Now TV box connected to it and that works perfectly too.

The Smart aspect to the TV isn't so 'smart' if I'm honest but LG are not alone in this. The BBC Iplayer and 5 OD both froze constantly and were annoying so I just watch them via the Now TV Box to save me from having to reboot the telly every time. I must admit that I haven't tried them since I updated the software so it may work OK now.

It gives very easy switching between plugged-in devices via icons, far easier than having to flick up and down channels on the remote to find where devices are!

I linked my mobile phone (not an LG phone, a Sony) via Smart Share really easily and also downloaded the LG remote app which worked fine. Can't work out how to turn off smart share from phone which is annoying as it smells of them spying on us!

Had problems working out how to bring up the virtual keyboard (Tip : press OK and the cursor and keyboard magically appear!) and also found the remote (which came with it) a bit clunky and tricky to get used to. I will probably buy a magic remote (the telly is magic-remote ready) so overcome this but it's really a question of getting used to it, that's all.

Definitely recommend.
on 19 November 2014
I returned this along with the "magic remote" when I realized that I couldn't accept the privacy policy. You have to agree to sending lots of personal information, that LG will then use to sell you stuff on the device you've just spent hundreds of pounds on. Also, you have to agree that LG can do pretty much anything they want with the information they take. If you don't accept the privacy policy during setup, then none of the smart tv features will work.

I admit I'm paranoid about privacy, so you may not share my concerns here. I felt that the information that was being sent to LG was way beyond creepy - speech recorded through the microphone in the "magic remote" being a particularly outrageous example. I know that sounds unbelievable, but it's true.

As far as I can see, LG don't provide the privacy policy online. If you want more information, search for DoctorBeet and check out his blog article.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 September 2015
Great TV, Works very well on the WIFI signal I have, very good picture contrast and brightness/black levels very good. Takes a while to adjust the motion control so everything does not "Wobble" about on the screen to much as that loses the cinematic affect. USB works great with most files that use the H264 Codec, although some MKV files it does not like, all MP4 and AVI containers it should play. As for the TV, I would of liked the DVB tuner to be a little more sensitive, often get blocking and the screen going blank, tested another TV with the same aerial and it was a lot better, but obviously this is more of a reception issue than a fault with the TV.

Overall impressed first smart TV I have owned it comes with an impressive list of apps including You Tube, Iplayer, and Net flix, the EPG is very good and the Firmware is upgrade able, once it was upgraded the extra feature of time machine was added allowing to record to a memory stick (careful using this as once utilized it formats the memory stick that is currently in the USB socket) Great.
on 6 January 2015
Great TV that can be used directly with a Satellite Dish to get Freesat channels.

We have no terrestrial TV signal as we live in a valley so this TV was ideal.
on 10 December 2014
I would have have dropped this telly half a star if I could have. It's an excellent smart tv in just about every aspect, that's for sure, sold for a fantastic price just after Amazon's Black Friday sale - but the Amazon review here is short of a few niggly details, added here:
1. The LB580V (to be clear) Smart TV supports the ability to record/pause live tv to an "external usb drive" - except it doesn't to usb flash drives, which is very disappointing if you only want to record/pause the occasional TV programme (as I did).
2. The usb drive requirements are for an external hdd (sata style) hard or ssd drive. These drives will need to be dedicated to LG's 'time machine II' format (whatever that is) so can't be swapped around/used for anything else. Fair enough but it took quite some time to find that info. USB version required is 2.0. Edit: the SanDisk Cruzer Blade 64gb flash do apparently work and cost circa £20 on Amazon. I believe they are especially configured to appear as 'fixed drives' once inserted.
3. It's also very hard to find a good small usb 2.0 hdd drive for under £40 here on Amazon and quite a bit more if you're after 500gb or more for HD recordings etc - so just bear that in mind if you were planning to take advantage of what probably is an excellent feature, unless you would rather splash out £100-£200 on a digital PVR that essentially does the same thing?
4. I also had some initial problems getting Spotify to output digital sound via the optical out connection (to an AV receiver) despite hours and hours of testing. 24hrs later and another Software Update later this seems, fingers crossed, to have fixed itself and the digital out sound is great.
5. A minor additional aspect (that would be great if it could be fixed in a future software update) is that so far the TV hasn't been recognised by Spotify Connect. Spotify Connect allows you to synchronise and output (as well as control) music playback on multiple devices around the home from a single Spotify hand-held app (either Android or iPad/iPhone devices). It's a very nice feature and worth it even for a single smart tv, for the faster, more fully featured navigation options that you get on the apps vs LG's cut-back TV/app version (although it is pretty good in it's own right and I'm not knocking it).

That aside the TV as a whole is excellent. Two of the additional app/features we were after work great, which is the Spotify integration mentioned, which is very well done with great visuals, sound quality (via my AV/amp that is) and the Amazon Instant Video integration is well done too with great sound out too. I'm surprised more people aren't using Amazon Instant Video (terrible name though) which has the best interface and navigation options going. It's very well done and the LG version is good too. Picture quality is good verging on very good. I haven't played with the contrast setting yet but out of the box the blacks aren't quite as black as you would normally prefer but the picture is sharp with good colours otherwise. The "inbox" speakers are just a little feeble (lacking depth but not volume) but would certainly sound fine in a smaller room. All the additional 'smart tv' features + DLNA integration is great. Playback of HD videos/audio from our NAS (network storage device) via LG's DLNA integration is good and very well handled in terms of design/integration into the TV too.

Overall, this is an absolutely great TV/smart TV and doubly good for the sale price we paid (circa £259).
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 October 2014
Great telly, great service and support by LG. Very happy
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 22 April 2015
- Apps are quick to load
- Really good picture quality
- Easy set up for WiFi connections

- Doesn't come with apps for 4oD or ITV Player so you would have to go through the web app and the actual websites to view these
VINE VOICEon 22 October 2014
This is a great TV (32inch version). Easy to put on the stand (small niggle he picture in the instructions is far from clear), and once it is connected and switched on the set up instructions virtually take care of themselves. I had the Sky box showing pictures within 5 minutes of switching it all on.

The built in WiFi worked a treat and picked up the signal better than the household laptops and IPad. The most tiresome part of the process is entering the email address and password for Netflix etc, but all in all you would have to be a real technophobe to fall foul of this.

The picture is pin sharp, with several options for you to arrange things as you like them, Cinema, Sport, Vivid, Srandard etc, plus 2 you can set yourself, and the same with sound. I haven't connected anything else yet, but that looks just as straightforward.

Reasonably priced, loads of options,as I said, this is a great TV.