Top critical review
9 of 10 people found this helpful
Some annoying functionality issues, but not a bad TV
on 20 April 2015
Firstly, the good features:
1. The TV can play .avi, .mkv, .mp4, and other file formats.
2. The TV plays Netflix and Youtube without any problems, and also has a functional browser. I understand that a wireless keyboard can be used with the browser, but I haven't tested this. (I've just used the remote control with onscreen keyboard.)
3. Picture quality is good.
4. The TV looks good.
Secondly, the passable:
1. Sound quality is so-so.
2. The fast forward, for viewing recorded programmes/DVDs/imported file content, only goes to 16x speed, which means that it takes almost four minutes to fast forward to a point one hour into a programme.
3. TV programmes must be recorded on an external hard disk; a USB flash drive will not work.
Thirdly, the bad (and annoying):
1. The big annoyance for me with this TV is that the satellite channel listing is separate from the antenna channel listing. So, to switch from a satellite channel to an antenna channel, one has to open the Programme Guide, change the tuner type to antenna, exit the Programme Guide, and select the desired antenna channel number.
2. The TV is SLOW. It takes 5 seconds to change from one satellite channel to another satellite channel. (This is a separate issue to 1. above.)
3. TV programmes broadcast and recorded in aspect ratio 16:9 play back by default in aspect ratio 4:3. This means having to go into the Settings menu, change the aspect ratio to full screen/zoom, and exit again.
4. There is no zoom function. This is an issue when watching a recorded movie broadcast in a ratio higher than 16:9. After going through the process described in 3. above, one is still left with sizeable dark bands on the top and bottom of the screen. This in spite of the warning in the manual about "image sticking" due to extended viewing in such cases!
5. Some of the channels (not all, strangely) don't hold in the order in which I store them on the channel listing. After re-ordering them a few times, I gave up and now accept whatever order the TV decides.
If it weren't for the annoying functionality issues, this would be a very good television.