on 15 May 2015
Hello All. I thought I'd post my experiences on how to set up this TV to get the best out of it. I do hope this helps.

These telly's have a number of inputs and for each input there are five preset Viewing Modes which can be customized. Every input stores its Viewing Modes separately from the other inputs, and so all the inputs are independently customizable in terms of their five Viewing Modes. So first you have to select an input to customize, then go to the Picture Setting menu and select the Viewing Mode you want to customize for that input. You'll have to do this for every input that you'll be using. Sound setting are also stored independently per input. Although this may sound long winded, the end result is that different sources can all have their own optimized video and sound settings, which will kick in automatically once set up.

Like many LED TV's the firmware moves the backlight up and down depending on its analysis of what's on screen, and this behavior unfortunately cannot be totally disabled on this model. Fortunately, these backlight shifts are fairly subtle in the first two viewing modes (Dynamic and Normal). The other three viewing modes should be avoided as they do suffer from very pronounced automatic backlight shifts. For each input I have customized the Normal viewing mode (selected for everyday use), and the Dynamic viewing mode (which I switch to on the rare occasions when the content may require a bit of a brightness boost). Once set up, you can simply leave each input on its customized Normal Mode for most of the time.

Be aware that on this model selecting a different colour temperature will result in quite dramatic changes in the contrast and gamma profile of the display. My setting will only deliver if you stick with the normal Colour Balance setting. The other Colour Balance setting have proved very difficult to calibrate effectively on this set, particularly the Warm setting. Anyway, here's what I have settled on:

INTERNAL TV TUNER USE

Customized Normal Picture Mode: Backlight = 70, Contrast = 80, Brightness = -3, Colour = 48, Sharpness = 35, Colour Balance = Normal, Eco = Off , PNR = Off, Overscan = Off.

Customized Dynamic Picture Mode: Backlight = 73, Contrast = 83, Brightness = -6, Colour = 45, Sharpness = 35, Colour Balance = Normal, Eco = Off , PNR = Off, Overscan = Off.

HDMI INPUT USE

Customized Normal Picture Mode: Backlight = 70, Contrast = 80, Brightness = -5, Colour = 43, Sharpness = 30, Colour Balance = Normal, Eco = Off , PNR = Off, Overscan = Off.

Customized Dynamic Picture Mode: Backlight = 85, Contrast = 85, Brightness = -6, Colour = 44, Sharpness = 30, Colour Balance = Normal, Eco = Off , PNR = Off, Overscan = Off.

SOUND SETTINGS

Mode = Music, Bass = 0, Treble = 0, Balance = 0, Headphone Volume = 27, Surround = off, Auto Gain = off, Volume Correction = 0 (raise this if your input source has a very low volume), Speaker Dist = over 30cm. The rest you can leave at default.

On my particular set these setting deliver about the best you can squeeze out of the TV from a range of sources. My two HDMI Modes are quite broad so as to cover the sometimes duller internet streams that my XBMC box will deliver throught the HDMI. Its possible that your experience may vary of course, as it's not uncommon for there to be panel differences within a product range.

Best of Luck.
0Comment23 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 May 2014
Well it looks like I'm the first person to review this TV so I'll keep it short and sweet.

Good points:

The picture. Out the box it's amazing for a computer game, but for more realistic colours and softer viewing I just needed to adjust the TV settings to something a little less garish and bright. This isn't a fault, it's set to what most people like these days at switch on. It's got a better picture than my previous viera TV and cost half the price! Sound is OK for a slim TV with some tone adjustments. I didn't need a smart TV as I just use my TV as a monitor, I don't even use the TV's tuner. Most people these days use roku, sky, humax etc so having a multitude of internet added apps just seems a waste as I never used them on the previous TV. Despite tech specs this TV does have an ethernet connection although I have no idea what it's for.

Bad points:

Only 2 HDMI inputs. A bit stingy to say the least but it's enough for my set top box and ps3.

TV gets 5 stars and I'm far from disappointed. Excellent if you don't need all the bangs and whistles (that you'll never use)
4040 comments348 of 375 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 September 2014
Some 'techie' sites on Google...the ones that look into the depths of the blacks and the noise of the picture etc......would have you believe that this was probably not the best value TV on the market. And perhaps at the 2014 release price of £629 there would have been a fair few other TV's to compare it with. However I have just bought mine for less than £401 including delivery and I consider that to be a bargain for a Panasonic 50" LED/LCD TV. There are a few 50" TV's that are cheaper but with names like Digihome - Cello - Bush and Alba it is a bit of a lottery. The built in Freeview HD picture is stunning and considering the wafer thin chassis the sound is far better than expected. There are only two HDMI inputs but one has ARC so you can feed any audio back through whatever surround sound speaker system you have. I bought a £5.00 HDMI splitter from eBay and ran my DVD/Surround Sound system through HDMI 2 with the splitter connected to HDMI 1 running a Freesat box plus a NOW TV box and a Smart TV box all with the choice of TV sound or surround sound. There is also a SCART socket..I use mine to run audio from the TV channels to surround sound... and there are a set of RCA inputs and an Optical Toslink input/output if you have a sound bar system. It looks fantastic as the picture goes all the way up to the 10 mm rim and size wise it is only a fraction larger than my 42LG7000 that it has replaced. If you are looking for a 50" LCD/LED TV I don't think you will be disappointed.
11 comment46 of 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 November 2014
An excellent Budget HD TV with vibrant colours and sound. Design is optimised for maximum screen size and is superior to TV's at a much higher price bracket. Overall an excellent choice
on 12 September 2014
This is a great tv and I'm really pleased with it. I looked around quite a lot before buying it and have previously bought Sony. I thought about spending more, or buying a smaller Sony for the same price. The picture quality and sound are good. I am using Sky so I decided I didn't need to buy a Smart tv. My DVD has Smart features, so didn't need to buy these options again. I was slightly worried that the tv would be too big for the room but overall the set doesn't look that much bigger than my old 32" Sony Bravia that has a large plastic fascia. It has a fantastically larger screen and an elegant stand. It doesn't look too imposing in a regular size room.

I had to re-program my Sky remote to get all the features (volume control) to work, which took 5 seconds. See: http://help.sky.com/articles/program-your-sky-remote-to-control-your-tv. (Code 1664 worked straight away).
11 comment67 of 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 October 2014
We just received this great TV. One of the best features was when we turned it on. It automatically tuned all channels within minutes and the set up was so easy. The picture and sound quality is incredible and we are so pleased with our purchase.
on 20 September 2015
Bought this TV to replace an LG, which didn't support many of the films I had stored on an external storage box.

I'm not a massive TV expert, I read reviews which talk about depth of blacks and calibration and it doesn't mean much me. I'm fascinated people go into so much detail, but then they all recommend TV's which cost a fortune, and I frown considering that Eastenders on one TV is the same on another, it's not going to be much better just because you have a more expensive TV.

I did, however, replace my bedroom Samsung TV due to poor sound with a slightly larger Panasonic, and was very impressed - much more modern interface, dual band WiFi, and much better integration for streaming from the mentioned NAS box. It supports much more video formats, doesn't frequently disconnect mid-way through a film, and it much more responsive and intelligent. therefore, I bought the big brother version for the living room, and it's great!

My only gripe is that the sound is not great, but I think this is a case for many TV's. It's definitely watchable, but sometimes when watching a HD channel or recording, you have to turn it up a bit more. My living room is not massive, so it doesn't get turned up too far, but I am considering adding a soundbar, just for that extra effect. The bedroom TV is fine at any volume, but then it's a smaller room. In addition, the rectangular stand is not particularly attractive, and my LG did swivel, where as this is fixed. That's the deduction for one star for me - but they are minor points.

But I would wholly recommend this TV, regardless of what model series it is, or if it's a 2014 model etc. It's a great value TV, which does the job for many a task, and will look great sitting in your living room. Very thin - not the sexiest TV of them all, but really, you can't grumble for this price and certainly does more than other brands in this price range.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 September 2014
The TV is fantastic, although after a week it developed a fault where the green light would flash, as if a button was being pressed. I removed all remotes and batteries in the room and still nothing, this would cause the menus to spaz out and basically make it un-usable.

A first worldy-nightmare wait for two failed courier pickups, the 3rd finally arrives for their £45 fee [inc insurance incase it goes missing]. And Amazon refunds for £3.99 for postage; so i'm £41.01 out of pocket to ensure the safe arrival of this huge tv. Most couriers didn't want to touch my parcel due to the weight & size. So it's either risk the TV going missing, or pay the insurance on the cost.

So is this legal? I think being 40 quid out of pocket due to a fault is pretty messed up. Not happy Amazon!
1515 comments64 of 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2015
I've always struggles to find a TV that is big enough, stylish enough and have enough features. This TV ticks all the boxes. The plastic trim of the TV looks very smart and not tacky like some of the others. The ports are all easily accessible which make swapping devices quicker. The TV guide is easy to use and all other features are very accessible. All round a great TV
on 5 October 2014
A really great HD picture , and I am well happy with the sound , I have one quibble with the HDMI fittings on the rear of the TV for
me they are not a great fit on the leads , considering they are in a horizontal position this has resulted in a loss of signal on a few
occasions , maybe vertical mounted fittings would have been a better idea