Logitech G502 Proteus Core Tunable Gaming Mouse
Price:£50.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have used a Logitech G500s, and its predecessors, the G500 and the G5, for almost a decade now, and I love them. The shape is perfect for my hand, and I love the feel of them.

The G502 is an evolution of the G500 shape, a little more stylised and angular, a little too much for my tastes, but nothing uncomfortable. I actually like the smoother texture on it quite a bit, and the wheel ridged wheel is nice.

The mouse has ridiculous DPI options, but I don't ever really go higher than 2000, so your mileage may vary. The DPI switching buttons are more conveniently placed than the G500 style. You can tune the mouse's tracking to your surface, which is nice, but I didn't see much effect from this on my soft Steelseries pad. It's nice to have the weight options, and the weights are funkier than the older G500 style round weights.

The mouse tracking is smooth and precise, and I was able to tune it well with Logitech's SetPoint software, which also allows button customisation options, surface tuning, and control of the big illuminated G. It was a little bright for my tastes, so I turned it off.

Unfortunately for me, the mouse ultimately didn't feel as comfortable as the rounded G500 design for me. My thumb would accidentally hit the thumb-button, and I found the right hand side a little narrow, so my little finger didn't sit as comfortably on the mouse. Maybe that's because I'm a palm-grip guy, but a lot of people are. It's a great mouse, it's just not quite the one for me.
on 6 May 2014
18/08/15 UPDATE: So my original review is below, but having used this for over a year now I thought it would be worth sharing some things.

I still agree with everything I said a year ago for starters, it's a great mouse. The software has been updated so that you can now customize things a bit more such as the G logo light (I now have it on a dim pulse which is much more appealing and has let me keep it switched on rather than just blinding bright/off).

I use this mouse daily, on lots of different sensitivity settings and on both hard and soft mouse mats. I can say confidently that I have had no issues with the feet of this mouse, when given a quick dusting they are as good as new (super smooth). Otherwise everything else is stated below, just wanted to inform new purchasers that this mouse will last.

Old Review :

Okay, So I spilt pepsi on my G9x and needed a replacement, considering logitech was bringing out a new mouse I thought why not?

I've been using the G502 for just under a week now and it is one of the best mice I have ever used. The sensor is pinpoint, no hardware acceleration at all and it feels this amazing on all DPI settings. It is true that you probably won't need to go anywhere near as high as 12,000 but the fact that logitech have enabled this does not take away from the tracking of the lower DPI's at all.

I use a loose palm grip for this mouse, it could be clawed however given the weight and position of the sniper button this could be uncomfortable for some. The sniper button itself doesn't impede my grip but you may need to adjust to keep from accidentally pressing it.

It has a braided cable which is slightly thicker than the one used on the G9x, however it feels lighter, smoother and more flexible (seems to move with much less resistance). I personally like these as it prevents a lot of long term cable wear problems.

The scroll wheel is quite impressive compared to their previous mice. Still with the dual mode, the middle click is is much more defined as are each of the side scroll buttons. All the other buttons give great tactile feedback and seem to require the perfect amount of pressure to operate.

On the software side it is very simple to use 'Logitech Gaming Software' to configure most aspects of the mouse. All of the buttons are configurable and the horrific G logo light can be switched off (in the main settings under G502 tab). Unlike the G9x, G-shift can be assigned to a button which extends the amount of operations you can assign. You can also tune the mouse sensor to any surface (which I did do, Razer Goliathus mouse mat) and I must say I did notice a difference from the default settings. It is not a huge change, but tracking felt that bit smoother and I think maybe a tiny change to reduce the lift off distance but that was hard to tell.

A nice feature I noticed is that the DPI/Profile lights automatically turn off unless you are adjusting the settings, especially as you cannot adjust the colour to match your rig as you could with the G9x.

Adjustable weights are now in a much better place, I really disliked the draw system so I am in favour of this new magnetic door. Although I don't feel it, the mouse is reasonably heavy without any weights in and is already pretty balanced, then again the weights are there if you do want to adjust the balance to suit your play style more (or just add more weight).

Overall this mouse is very impressive, excellent tracking, great shape, very comfortable and not too feature heavy. There will be people who want a simpler mouse but for me as I crossover from FPS to RPG and even for non-gaming it is a great all round mouse.

EDIT:
Just realized it does not show this in the pictures, but the sensor is in the center of the mouse (rather than being offset in the G9x), it definitely helps.
Pros
- Excellent sensor
- Braided Cable
- Much better dual mode scroll wheel
- Weight Management
- Configurable buttons
- Comfortable

Cons
- At the heavier end of mice
- For some grips the sniper button
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 5 January 2015
I'm a massive fan of the Logitech M500 mouse for it nice shape and unlockable scroll wheel so when I was looking to upgrade my mouse to something a little more fancy this was an obvious choice.

After using it for a month or so now I absolutely love it. The back and forward buttons are well placed and I can hit them easily getting a tactile and auditory click to let me know they've been activated. The left and right clicks are sensitive enough for rapid pressing but not so sensitive that you're constantly accidentally triggering them. The scroll wheel for which I purchased this item works just like my old M500 and I love it. DPI changing is smooth and responsive and well indicated by lights on the mouse. The software for calibration and/or macro setup works great too and doesn't need to constantly sit in the background due to onboard memory on the mouse: perfect!

Only two downside and not significant enough to damper my enjoyment:

1. When you've got you hand positioned in order to use all the standard buttons you would have to have mutant length thumbs to reach the "sniper" button but given I play with a low DPI and don't like to shift it in-game that's not a big deal. If I place my thumb far forwards enough to press the sniper button comfortably I can't hit the "back" button because my hand is over it.

2. The mouse scroll wheel, like the M500, also has the functionality to be clicked left and right. This is great. However, in order for this to work involves introducing a tiny bit of give into the left and right motions of the scroll wheel. It is completely unnoticed during ordinary use except for when making a large sweeping movement from side to side (turning in an FPS with low DPI) giving the tiny auditory "ting" noise.

It's the most minor thing in the world but I figured I'd list it because I'm literally clutching at straws to find faults with this mouse. It really is nice.
on 26 December 2014
To begin with this was a present from my girlfriend. I chose this one due to the fact I needed a good fps mouse to use in games like CS:GO, battlefield and other fps games. I had read a few different reviews from several different websites and thought instantly this is the mouse for me.

Pro's - It looks great it is definitely a nice smooth looking mouse. It also moves great across my mouse mat and the software is amazingly easy to use. The mouse wheel is also a nice little touch I like, to me it seems very well made and will last a long time. Also the weight system in it is very fun to play around with but I have yet to configure whats the best weight for me.

Con's - I am 6ft 4 inches tall and have very large hands. All my old mice where very comfortable for me yet this one after an hour or so of playing my hand started to fatigue a bit and my scores started to slip. I use a claw grip and I kept pressing the dpi button far to much. Nothing more frustrating than in the middle of a firefight my dpi either goes too high or it goes too low. I have played with the software to stop this from happening now but it really annoyed me. The left click is too small for my finger and my thumb does not no where to sit due to the dpi-shift button.

All in all its a very very good performing mouse, I would give it 4-5 stars but the clutter of the smaller sized buttons then I am used to don't work to well with my grip style and the size of my hands. Maybe over time and more practice I will get back to my old skill level using this mouse, maybe even get better.
on 13 October 2014
I will make this review straight. Having used many gaming mice myself, there are few let downs that interferes the pros of this mouse.

Pros:

Frankly speaking, the optical sensor of this mouse is quite good. Good in terms of accuracy in the shooting game. It's quite effective when you use rifles which has recoils such as AK47. This mouse is a palm grip type and so, it is quite easy to rapid click/fire during the game which is also critical in FPS game. The sensor is so good that I felt that the price of the mouse mostly goes to the sensor itself.

The size of the mouse is about 13cm in length and 6cm in width which is quite similar to that of Roccat Kone XTD but 1 cm shorter in width resulting an oval sort of shape just like a reptile egg in the dinosaur museum. Due to the high precision lead by the sensor, this shape does help. If there are too much width, it can be quite hard to control such sensor I'd say.

The weight adjustment is a great addition too. The sensor of this mouse is quite sensitive and so, the additional weight can give more control to the user in a way. Many people yell that this mouse is heavy. If you have used Razer and Cyborg mice such as Rat 5 - 9 (without the weight), and Kone Pure from Roccat, you may feel this mouse quite heavy to handle. But if you have used Roccat Kone XTD, then there is no problem as it weighs about the same i felt (with and without weight adjustment on both).

Lastly, the usb cable of this mouse is quite soft. The cable itself will adapt quickly and so, you wouldn't need to make it straight/stretch the cable after unboxing.

Cons:

There are few down side of this mouse that may interfere with the good side listed above. Firstly, if you flip the mouse, you will quickly notice that there are four plastic black tape like seal for a grind protection. Normally, other brand namely Roccat and Razer won't do this. Instead, they completely seal them so that it won't peel off overtime. Here, I wouldn't worry about them peeling off but as a result of the wrong placement of the seal, this mouse chooses the surface. If you use Roccat Hiro 3D mouse surface for example, and move around the mouse, you will quickly notice the grind noise. A little delay caused by the resistance can be quite annoying when you want to aim the pointer properly during the game. Logitech gaming/non-gaming mice always gives this impression that they don't pursue for perfection, and that they are not made solely for the enthusiasts but also designed for ordinary consumers. This concept is still there with this mouse as well as the ones I used before from Logitech. This is my subjective opinion about logitech mouse products though.

The second cons goes to the combination of the wheel and the left/right click. It is certainly a nice addition that the wheel can be configured by a single click of button placed below the wheel. One click of the button gives a rigid feel of the wheel and another press gives a loose and smooth feel of the wheel. However, this rigid mode of the wheel can be an annoyance when combined with the mouse left/right clicks during the game or the normal daily operations on your PC. First of all, it feels very cheap. Secondly, the rigid feel of the wheel doesn't feel right, say while switching the weapons after few clicks of fire, the wheel accidentally moves due to the momentum of switching (scrolling) quickly. Thirdly, the clicks are loud. Louder than that of palm grip type mouse such as Kone XTD and in fact, louder than R.A.T 9 too.

The force you may put to click left/right buttons are just about right. At least, I feel this is quite comfortable. But if you switch from the soft clicks say from Razor, such as Black Mumba 2012 and DeathAdder, then you may feel these buttons need a little force to click.

There are people who complains about right clicks where they accidentaly press during the game but it never happened to me yet. This is probably due to the size of user's hand (mine is square palm with short fingers. About 17cm in length from the wrist to the tip of third finger) and the way you may place your hand on the mouse. Generally, if you place your hand as if you use the finger grip type of mouse, you may not have that accidental clicks.

Software and the drivers of this mouse works well and sensibly designed. I have never had any problems with updating firmwares when the software asked me unlike other unfortunate people who had to update the firmware manually through the installation directory. When you open the software, you will see this slide switch where you can choose where to save your profile. It is either the on-board memory chip built-in or to the PC. When you want to assign a windows function (assuming you are using Windows PC), you'd need to switch the profile save location to the PC by the way.

So there it is. Currently, I am using together with my Roccat Kone XTD and I can tell clearly, that this mouse wins when it comes to FPS games. I find it quite interesting that I use G502 for rifles that has recoils and for shotguns and heavy ones, I use the Roccat. The design of the mouse will remind you of the chinch bug or the beetles and like I said above, and you may need to consider buying one of the logitech gaming surfaces, but overall, I think this mouse is balanced and acceptable.

I bought this mouse as a replacement of my Roccat Tyon which I bought recently. Unlike the G502, the Tyon was a complete joke to me (I wrote the review of it too).

I am not entirely happy due to some of the half-hearted manufacturing especially the grind seal and the wheel which can be quite common in Logitech mice but the sensor itself is quite powerful.

When you pay for this price, again, I'd say you are paying for the sensor I thought.

I'd recommend this mouse to anyone who fed up with the laser sensor.

Warmest Regards

Tomo
on 27 October 2014
I bought this as an upgrade to my G5.
I love the mousewheel, great idea and works well.
I still sometimes fumble over the buttons to the left of the left click (Usually in-game panic clicking) but I'm getting used to them.

The new thumb button that is meant for sniping, I have configured it to CTRL so I can resize webpages with the mouswheel when the text is too small (I am a bit old)

The only negative is the bottom side of the mouse.
For a start, the flap sometimes drops off on its own :-(
And when it's on it scrapes across the mousemat like a grubby old house brick.
The mouse feet are absolute crap. Flimsy low quality stickers that just peel off.
Today I have resolved this by putting on some Mouseskates from 'Hotline Games' (Found on Ebay)
The mouse now glides like my old G5 used to.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 10 August 2015
I recommend checking out my video review on the mouse instead of reading everything below as its pretty much the same: https://youtu.be/4KFJTxzceO0
If you enjoy the review subscribe to my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/MrYTMonkey

Now why I’m reviewing this is because when I saw the reviews on this mouse.. I knew I had to check it out and see if it’s worth it.

First let’s take a look at the design of this mouse. It has a nice solid build. Most of the mouse a has a soft touch matte finish which quite pleasing to touch and the two sides have a rugged rubber feel which I am a fan of as it gives you more grip. The only lighting on this mouse is the bright blue G logo which looks quite nice, but I’m disappointed in the fact that you can’t customize the colour because it’s expected of mice at this price range.

The weight of the mouse is 120g which is great for me as I do like lighter mice. If you prefer a mouse thats a little more hefty, then there are additional weights supplied with the mouse which you can add on to the bottom around the sensor. The weights are in a nice enclosure that’s kept closed with a magnet. I think this is a big selling point as this allows lots of customization to each user. You can store any un-used weights in this nice little housing.

The G502 is quite narrow and I personally really didn’t like it when I started using it. It was quite uncomfortable for my ring and pinky finger as they were in awkward positions. I noticed it’s most present when gaming, but after a couple of weeks I must say I got used to it and now I’m pretty happy about it. The mouse is shaped so that people with small hands have a palm grip and people with bigger hands have a claw grip. So this mouse will pretty much fit most hands quite nicely.

Going back to the bottom of the mouse I’d like to address the feet. I’ve seen lots of people having issues, and if you’re curious my feet haven’t had any problems which I’m obviously happy about, but I can’t really guarantee this for everyone. The durability of the feet is said to be able to last for 250KM of travel. The sensor on this mouse is pretty solid and tracks perfectly on most surfaces except for glass.

The G502’s cable is great as it’s braided and I am a big fan of this and wish more mice had a braided cable. Going onto the scroll wheel it’s kind of been a love/hate relationship for me. The scroll wheel has very precise click to click scrolling and really fast infinite scrolling which can be adjusted with a click of the button just below the scroll wheel. Both modes worked out really nicely in different types of situations. The scroll wheel also has side to side buttons which can be programmed easily and I like them quite a bit as they are not too easy to press and you cannot accidentally scroll up or down. Now why I haven’t liked the scroll wheel on the G502 is because of it’s metal build or finish should I say. Logitech could have went with a metal finish anywhere but here. This is probably the worst place in my opinion. The metal finish causes for the scroll wheel to be a bit slippy during use which is a big annoyance, but I honestly got used to it after sometime just like the narrow design.

The G502’s main selling feature is that there are 11 easily programmable buttons, but honestly I would say that there are 9 buttons that should be re programmed. In theory you can re-programm the left and right mouse buttons and even scroll up and down, but this really isn’t practical which is why I’m counting 9. The three main ones are my favourite as they are easily accessed by my thumb and proved to be the most used ones. I was personally worried that these buttons would be a bit mushy and not too responsive, but after trying them out I can say that the clicky feeling is exactly like the left and right click. So if you’re worried about the programmable buttons well they are top notch.

Going a bit further on you see three LED’s which have two great purposes in my opinion. Firstly these LED’s tell you which DPI mode you have it on. There are two buttons which we’ll take a look at in a moment that allow you to change the DPI mode. Speaking of DPI this mouse has a max DPI of 12,000 which is quite overkill, but I guess it’s still good to have. Now the second function of these LED’s is to tell you which profile you have it on. There are three profiles all together and I’m really happy that there is a button that let’s you change all the profiles really easily. For the people that are curious the three profiles that I have are for gaming, video editing and web browsing. The way you can tell the difference if you’re looking at the DPI or profile is that the profile has a blue that’s noticably darker than the DPI which has light blue and I think this is really neat.

Moving on we have the two shift DPI buttons which we just talked about and they allow for you to change the DPI on the go without opening the software. Honestly though you probably won’t really need to change the DPI that much, it’s better use is to for example easily throw a grenade and take your knife out in-game which is what I change it too. Again these buttons feel just like the mouse click buttons and I found that I press the G8 button with the left mouse click button by accident sometimes and this could be something that would make you end up losing a game so keep that in mind.

Finally going on to the final piece of hardware the two mouse buttons.
They have very little travel allowing you to easily click really fast. If you’re wondering though they’re so easy to press that you’ll click accidentally when resting your hand. Each button is said to last for 20 million clicks which is well more than enough in my opinion.

Now that we’re done covering the hardware let’s take a look at the software that Logitech provides to program the buttons. First of all you can choose whether to store the profile settings on the mouse or on your PC. It’s better to store them on the mouse in my opinion as you can hook it up to another computer and you won’t have to reconfigure anything. Next we move on to the button programming. Many people I know don’t really want to buy this mouse as they think the software is clunky and really difficult to use. I can’t say that that’s been true for me. Each button is clearly labelled and you have lots of options to choose what it does. It can do pretty much anything except for opening programs. I was looking for the ability to open google chrome by a click of a button for example as it would be a pretty dope feature. And you also have the option to change the DPI settings on each profile. Further on we have some settings for the lighting on the mouse. You can adjust the brightness and enable a cool breathing effect which I turned on from time to time.

Next we have something that I honestly never saw before. You can tell the sensor in the mouse the different surface you’re using so that it can adjust better and give you better tracking. You can easily add a new surface by performing a couple of simple. Honestly though I haven’t really noticed a difference in the settings here but maybe there are very slight adjustments being made maybe there aren’t. And lastly you can kind of record the use of the mouse while you’re doing something and after you’re done you can analyse what are the most used buttons on the mouse. This is pretty helpful for when you want to get the most optimal button programming on the mouse.

Pros
Overall I think that the programmable buttons are outstanding as they feel really tactile and are placed ideally, the adjustable weights add to the customization options of the mouse and the software that Logitech provides is great and really simple to use.

Cons
The narrow design is something that I think most people will probably hate at first, but will get used to it after sometime, and lack of a ring and pinky finger rest makes the mouse a bit more awkward to use than others, also the LED doesn’t have enough customization options for people to make it match there set up.

So finally in conclusion the Logitech G502 has a couple of things that I are disappointing and could be a dealbreaker for some people but overall the mouse is great and I think the G502 is one of the best mice on the market.
review image
on 5 August 2015
As I have never owned a quality gaming mouse (Always used an Apple Mighty mouse and occasionally a cheaper 'gaming mouse') I knew by reading reviews I was going to be pleased with the product.

I have to say it didn't disappoint. Nice amount of features, amazing software port for OSX (Yosemite 10.10) which works just the same as the Windows version and overall great physical aesthetic/feel to the pointer.

Pros:
Smoothest tracking I've ever felt
No need for a pad (Although down to preference, my Ikea desk does the trick after 'calibrating' a new surface in the Logitech software)
Scroll wheel can be altered for the traditional 'locked' or smooth scroll
Horizontal scrolling supported, good for applications like Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop where you have to scroll between/across art boards
Nice amount of weight options
Long cable
Decent size for my lanky fingers to wrap around (Claw or palm grip)

Cons:
LED's aren't RGB (Personally soldered new red 0603's in to match the colour of my rig) but these can be turned off altogether through the software provided if you so please
Found myself clicking the 'DPI Up' button instead of the left click, which I ended up binding as a left click instead of DPI Up
Would be nice to get a spare set of sticky pads for the bottom included as standard, but can be bought separately from Logitech for around £2.00
A little cyborg looking for my taste, but I went for functionality over form which isn't like me, it's going to take some getting used to

Overall great little performer, this is going to have to last me a few years before I need to replace it so it's going to have to stand the test of time.
All in all, I'm happy with what I got for the price.
on 26 June 2015
This is a great mouse, with great accompanying software and is a very well thought out mouse. But it's just not for me.

Off the bat, the styling is more aggressive when u see it in the flesh, this might appeal to some, but is not my taste. I have largish hands, can pick a basketball with one hand from the top kind of large.

This mouse just didn't sit well in my palms, it's little nooks and indents didn't suit me at all.
I also thought the weights are a nice thought but a bit impractical as this mouse is already heavy enough and found my hands fatiguing after an hour or so.

I think the functions and software that the mouse boasts are really fantastic, I can fully understand why people like it so much. There is good reasons for it. Well designed non buggy software is quite uncommon so I really can't fault that side of things.

Finally, the jog wheel simply frustrated me. The ratchet mode was unbearable and made scrolling loud and gittery. I felt the wheel was unbalanced in free spin mode, as it would rest, not where I stopped it, but would move slightly to a point I guess it's centre of gravity was.

My gripes with this mouse are very subjective. And I fully put my hands up and say this is a great mouse and I would recommend it.... I just don't love it.
on 10 October 2014
Tricky to know what rating to give this, on the one hand as a mouse it is superb - and if like other Logitech Mice I would hope the electronics and switches are bullet-proof. I have just come from three Mad-Catz products all of which suffered the same micro-switch failure after 4-6 months.

I rate my mice on comfort and sensitivity - I need a smooth cursor operation, especially from standstill, and a decent feel/weight, this is the first mouse that I have used without resorting to tuning with additional weights, and the cursor tuning provides me with more than I need.

Now the downside, the mice skates/feet/glides whatever you want to call them are definitely not as resilient as previous Logitech products, I have resorted to after market after my second set of originals started to peel at the corners - Logitech were no help saying they didn't have any spares... Another downside (at least for me) is that there is no apparent way to store profiles on the mouse, or back them up as a separate file - that gets a black mark.

So - great mouse, mostly high build quality - poor feet and indifferent profile handling.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...