on 24 July 2014

* STRENGTH : 8

~ DARK FRUIT
~ COCOA NIB
~ ORANGE ZEST

As the description of coffee increasingly becomes similar to that of a quality full-bodied wine or an expensive chocolate box selection, there is no argument from me with the above and the amount of packaging does not particularly worry me when it comes to choosing my coffee.
It is all part of the unique and desirable experience, which starts with that fresh, moreish aroma on opening the easy-tear individual little pod packet and follows through into a flavoursome cup of coffee with a thin but perfectly adequate crema.
This is a rich smooth coffee on its own if you like yours strong and dark, but adding milk makes it a longer, lighter affair.

My robust little machine (Nespresso Magimix) copes fine with this type of POD and no extra pressure is required.
The VINE package, which arrived, was a sturdy CAFÉPOD cardboard container with four boxes of ten individually sealed pods safely stowed within.
Each 52g box, measuring roughly 9 cm x 9.5 cm x 13.25 cm high, is just the right for my top cupboard shelf, which is an added bonus.

On the base of each box:

* 'Recyclable carton and capsule ~ Sachet and capsule film currently not recyclable

The black/brown pods dissect easily, as I continue to pile my coffee remains around the sunflowers in the continuing struggle with the midnight feasts of the slug and snail population!

'Best Before July 2015'...on my batch, but I'll be ordering some more way before then!

ooOoo

From the box:

'100% ARABICA
Ingredients : 100% Roasted and Ground coffee

FAIRTRADE certified.

COLOMBIA: With its high altitude, consistent temperatures and mineral-rich volcanic soils, the Huila region has become synonymous with great Colombian coffee. Its quality Arabica beans deliver a smooth and well-balanced cup.

Origins by CaféPod: Select single estate coffees expertly sourced from around the world. Crafted from HIGH QUALITY Arabica beans slow-grown on the slopes of the Andes, COLOMBIA HUILA represents the best of Fairtrade small-batch production.

Our DEDICATED farmers remove the fruit from the bean before fermentation for GREATER flavour clarity and acidity, resulting in a vibrant orange zestiness and a LUXURIOUS chocolate finish.

TASTING NOTES: Luxuriously nutty with hints of ripe berry fruits.'

ooOoo

EDIT TO ADD:

I was just about to throw my first empty box away when I spotted a note to 'Tear open to explore'....so I obeyed.
Yet more information about the origins of this coffee and a map!
A nice extra touch and I can feel another 'little project' coming on!
The little(-ish) ones will be impressed when they return from their summer hols!
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Like the Carte Noir range, these coffee pods are completely compatible with the Nespresso machines - some others seem to take more force to pierce the capsules, but not these. The top is more plasticy than the foil type used by others. It's a bit like very strong cling film. Also like the Carte Noir range, the packaging is either premium or wasteful - depending on your point of view. The boxes contain individual pods that are then in individual sealed bags. Is this necessary? Surely the pods themselves are sealed enough for freshness. This means that if you store them in anything other than their original box (say if you like to have a choice) then you find yourself unwrapping them all. Furthermore, there is no differentiation on the capsules for the different strengths (like the Nespresson colour coding for example). These are minor points and at the current selling price these offer great value for money and are a lot cheaper than either the Nespresso or Carte Noir ones. Taste is subjective but of the three makes, I prefer the Carte Noir flavour, but the Cafe Pod range is perfectly drinkable - in fact I think they taste more similar to the Nespresso originals than the Care Noir range. Five stars for value but losing one star for what I think is over-packing and lack of differentiation on the capsules. To my taste, I prefer the espresso version of the Cafe Pod range - for me, the Colombia is a bit lacking in umph - but of course if you like your coffee weaker then this the Colombia is perfect.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon 18 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
To start off with, this isn't expensive high end coffee, it's not meant to be, if you like expensive high end coffee and consider yourself to have an acquired taste then this probably isn't for you. But if, like me, you love a quality rich coffee in the morning then this is for you.

Like a lot of the non-Nespresso capsules these come in individually foil wrapped pouches in boxes of 10, so they will in no way fit through anyones letterbox like some others and Nespresso branded ones do. However these are a very good price for how many you get, especially when taking off the postage that Nespresso charge.

The design of the capsules is one of the better I've seen (I've tried quite a few now), the plastic is quite hard so is not pierced at all, but there are ready made perforations at the back for the water to be forced through, at the front is a layer of plastic with perforations also, the coffee is forced through fine, though you only get around 2-3 seconds worth of pure black coffee through, which is fine for me because I always have milk. It is strange why Cafe Pod don't foil wrap the front and use less thick plastic so they don't have to use so much packaging, but it is good to see they've dealt with this by already putting holes in the back so you don't worry about your machine taking damage.

Overall I'm impressed and will be buying these in the future, like I already do a previous Cafe Pod line I have previously tried.
on 7 October 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The IT boys at my workplace have a Magimix machine that takes Nespresso pods. Somehow, whenever I need something to enliven my day, there's always a pressing reason why I MUST visit them in person. Being hospitable boys, they will always offer me either an espresso - or if they have enough milk - a perfectly adequate quasi-latte. There is a price to be paid of course, and that is the fact that I'm forced to listen to their sophmore speech cadences and frankly juvenile humour. But that's the trade off for a decent cup of coffee.

Anyway, onto this particular product. I've used the pods in my machine at home and also dropped a couple of boxes off with the IT crew in order that I can also enjoy them at work. The consensus among the four of us is that the pods produce a good, medium
espresso with a nice taste.

Cheaper than Nescafe pods, they offer a tangy, vibrant alternative to the 'official' product, have a decent aroma and come at a fair price.

They'll do for me, Tommy!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These capsules fitted my machine, a fairly old Krups XN2005, without major problems, I did have a couple of capsules that fell straight through into the used capsule drawer but once fished out they were fine. This is a Lungo coffee so it makes a slightly larger cup than an espresso; we found it was ideal for cappuccinos where the extra volume of coffee and the strength and taste came through. I liked the taste and it did produce a nice crema. The inside of the capsule box is printed with a map showing where the coffee is grown. I liked it.
VINE VOICEon 15 September 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Now that it's possible to buy non-Nestle coffee pods for my Nespresso machine, I have been working my way through all the different offerings. These are some of the best so far; full-bodied and clean-tasting (none of the cardboard taste some of the pods exhibit). I still prefer Carte Noir to this brand but the Columbia pods are very good and I have been enjoying them.

These are plastic pods, individually plastic-wrapped, with enough coffee of make a lungo or latte. No problems with jamming or failing to pierce the plastic.
VINE VOICEon 29 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an acceptable alternative to the nespresso branded pods, I found them perfectly compatible with my Pixie machine and thought the taste was pretty good also (Columbian is my favourite type of coffee). Each pod is individually wrapped because the pods are plastic with a perforated plastic seal unlike the foil nespresso pods which I much prefer, the wrappers keep the pods fresh. The coffee smells really nice on opening as well.

These pods only work out slightly cheaper than the nespresso ones and I think I personally prefer the taste and the quality of Nespresso's pods to these so it is a small case of getting what you pay for.

The cost saving can add up though and if you find a coffee blend you like in this style of alternative pod they would be worth having. I think I worked out there is an approximate 10-15% by switching to Cafe Pod, I recommend giving Cafe Pod a try.
VINE VOICEon 21 September 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Very pleasantly surprised by these pods. They fit well in my nespresso machine and work well with it too. No problems with pressure of flow. I couldn't detect the nuttiness in this coffee (as the product description), but I did really like the taste. Perfectly strong enough. Recycling isn't simple with these pods though which does sit hard with me. Recommended.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This review is based purely on taste and nothing else because we do not have a 'Nespresso compatible' coffee machine. Specifically we use a Philips Senseo 7825 coffee maker (definitely recommended) with an essential accessory : the Coffeeduck Pad. So in this case, the CafePod pods are not actually used in the conventional sense; we just put the coffee itself into the Coffeeduck. It's a minor inconvenience but we've got accustomed to it.

Anyway this Colombia Huila is rated 8 in strength but this doesn't reflect our own impression. It's not exactly weak but it's not as strong or as rich as another we have been trying at the same time : Carte Noire Espresso No 9 which admittedly has a slightly higher strength rating but to our tastes is undoubtedly preferable.

We typically buy Colombian ground coffee from Aldi, which is okay (it's very good value though at about £1 per 100g) but it still just about has the edge over this CafePod Colombia Huila, so given the price - about £4.40 per 100g - which is more than three times the price of the Colombian Catura Arabica at Aldi, it's hard to make a case for it. It's okay but for our tastes at least we cannot recommend it.
VINE VOICEon 26 August 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
CafePod is by far the best Nespresso compatible company!
Colombia is a nice rich, flavoursome and strong blend - likely the best of the lot - better than Ristretto.

What I like overall with CafePod:
- they work perfectly well with most (if not all) Nespresso machines
- each pod comes in a small 'pouch', when open you get a nice coffee smell that add to the whole coffee drinking experience
- price - excellent especially on amazon subscribe and save