Sony PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 (PS4/PS3/PS Vita)
Price:£69.97+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 28 February 2014
This has been in the pipeline for a while now with PS4 gamers especially wanting a wireless stereo headset to complete the experience, although it's worth pointing out that this particular headset will also work with the PS3, Vita and PC. Please note that the 7.1 surround sound only works with the PS3 and PS4! Also note that it only works wirelessly with the PS3 and PS4 so if using with the Vita or mobile device you will need to operate it via a cable.

The headset comes well packaged and has a decent weighty feel to it, before I talk about the actual headset I first want to mention what you get in the box. Besides the actual headset you get the dongle part that acts as a receiver and plugs directly into a spare USB port on the device you are using it with. You get a very short Micro USB charging cable to charge the headset with; you also get a headphone jack cable for use with tablets and other such devices, a travel pouch and warranty documentation. Again before I talk about the actual headset I must be honest and say I was shocked at the size of the wireless dongle, it's not exactly small and compact and indeed sticks out from the console. The one question I would ask is why does the headset use wireless technology and not Bluetooth since the console has that capability built in?

On to the headset itself. It features a standard wrap around design which is well padded and each side can be extended up and down the arm so you can easily get comfy and everyone from people with larger heads to those that have smaller heads should be well catered for, the headset itself can be folded to save space during travelling but also the earphone part is better protected. For those wondering where the microphone arm is let me please you by saying the microphone itself is built in and does not stick out and I can confirm that even if you speak slightly on the quiet side your voice will be picked up, to quote my friend my voice was "spot on"!

This headset is noise cancelling not only in isolating exterior noise but also reducing the amount of background noise the microphone picks up and I can confirm it does a really good job of that, so much so I got told off by my other half for not listening to her, she was in the next room shouting for me but genuinely I couldn't hear her. Not that my excuse got me very far! The ear cups themselves are very comfy over long gaming sessions and don't apply any uneven pressure!

Audio quality in Chat and game audio is fantastic. Surround sound is stellar!!! No really it's fantastic and 7.1 really does impress. So much so it puts the turtle beach pair I had a few years ago to shame. Let me put it this way, you never get bored of hearing footsteps behind you and bullets flying past your head and indeed I would say it takes the gaming experience to another level. Controls wise you have volume buttons, mute and a rocker to choose between game and party sound (so you find the right balance between your friends talking and audio from the game) and a mode button.

Now battery life has been suggested at around 8 hours, I'm managing to get around six and a half hours, admittedly I was talking to friends as well as using it for surround sound at the same time so on the whole I can't complain although I will be investing in a longer cable so I can continue to use them and charge it at the same time as the cable supplied is a joke!

Other things worth noting are that the side plates are removable so you will be able to snap on different colours and designs I'm guessing at some point in the future for those that want to customize the headset to their individual tastes! There is also a companion app so you can download pre-set profiles for specific games making the experience even better and there is also a status display of the headset on screen so you can keep an eye on the battery level at all times.

Pros: Feels sturdy like it will last * very comfy * excellent stereo audio quality with 7.1 surround sound with compatible games * Compatible with PS3 and the Vita * good quality microphone that is built in * MUTE button * battery life seems pretty good * Works with PC * EXCELLENT value considering what you get!

Cons: Uses Wireless and not Bluetooth which seems stupid considering the PS4 has a Bluetooth receiver built in* If they had used Bluetooth and not wireless the battery life would be even longer * the wireless dongle takes up an additional USB slot and seems like an afterthought rather than a neat and compact device * charging cable is pathetically short

VERDICT: For the price you are probably getting the best value wireless headset on the market and when you factor in the quality you won't be disappointed. Don't get me wrong there are a few things that indicate that they cut corners like the fact it uses wireless and not Bluetooth and the dongle itself could have been smaller. All the small things aside I love this headset and the fact there are no wires is a big bonus especially with pets running around the house and indeed the other half not watching what's on the floor so I couldn't be happier and like I said earlier the price and quality is right!

RECOMMENDED!

UPDATE 16th December 2014: Headset is still working and very much still recommend it, battery life is holding strong at around 6 hours!
5151 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 24 August 2014
Really good and make games much more immersive plus you don't annoy your missus and neighbours playing THE LAST OF US at half one in the morning ! I got these for £62 from Amazon and at the time of writing this review they are an even better £60 ! I called into GAME in Coventry on Friday afternoon to see about buying them from there and they were £89 !! Ordered Friday afternoon and as I have Prime they arrived Saturday afternoon, fantastic service from Amazon as always.

These headphones are very well made, are very comfortable and sound great. The quick start guide could be better written as it doesn't tell you that you have to push the ps button on the ds4 controller, select options and then ALL in the audio options as it comes default to just chat. I thought they weren't working to start with but once the output selection was correctly set , instant audio in my lugholes, great sound, you can hear every foot step, voice and growl etc........being attacked by clickers in the last of us is now actually a pretty scary experience , especially playing in the dark in the early hours. Get these you wont be disappointed and at this price they are a bargain !
♦ Brief ♦

I've been through all the past official wireless headsets that have come out (7.1 Stereo Wireless Headset &Pulses) and have always been impressed, so when this one was announced I was more than eager to get my hands on them.

With the previous models, the Pulses were the "successor" to the 7.1 Stereo Wireless Headset, however with this newer version (also known as the 'Gold Headset' in the US), I'm rather unsure whether these are a successor to the Pulses... They both have certain features which are better than each other.

That said, these are undoubtedly very high quality in both sound and comfort.

♦ What's in the box? ♦

7.1 Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 | USB Dongle* | Micro USB Cable** | Stereo Cable*** | Carry Case | Manual/Documents.

* This is vital to connect your PS3/PS4 via a wireless connection, do not lose this as you can't buy these separately.

** Unlike the Pulses, these actually come with a charging cable, HOORAH! Except the cable is rather short.

*** This cable is used to connect the headset to a Vita or a Dualshock 4 controller; using it this way will mean you don't need to turn the headset on, nor does the headset has to have any charge.

♦ Set-Up & Using ♦

As I'm sure you're aware of, this headset works with the PS4, PS3 & PS Vita, whichever console you're planning on connecting this headset to, the set-up is very simple and easy to do, just follow one of the steps below.

- PlayStation 4 -

Wireless Set-Up:

1) Insert USB dongle into the PS4.
2) Turn the headset on.
3) Select the user profile you want to link the headset to (asks every time you turn them on).

If you have two of these headsets, you can actually use them both at the same time using two different user profiles, this means you can even both participate in the same party chat.

Wired Set-Up:

1) Plug the stereo cable into the headset.
2) Insert the other end of the cable into the Dualshock 4 controller.

Whichever set-up you go for, if no game sound is going to the headset, follow these steps:
Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings > Output to Headphones > All audio.

Alternatively, hold the PS button down and go to "Adjust Devices", you can also tweak the settings there.

- PlayStation 3 -

Wireless Set-Up:

1) Insert USB dongle into the PS3.
2) Turn the headset on.

The PS3 should configure everything automatically.

- PlayStation Vita -

Wired Set-Up:

1) Plug the stereo cable into the headset.
2) Insert the other end of the cable into the Vita.

♦ Headset Functions ♦

There are many functions on the headset itself, most of which are only usable when wirelessly connected.

- Pre-Set Sound Mode -

When turning on the headset, if you skip over to '2' rather than '1', you can select to use a special pre-set sound mode which enhances the sound to that specific genre, such as "shooter" or "music" etc...

Though you will need to set it up by firstly downloading the 'Headset Companion App', then connect the headset to your PS3/PS4 and upload a sound profile to it through the app.

- Sound/Chat -

This allows you to adjust the ratio of chat to in-game audio; you can have it balanced, or more swayed to one or the other.

- Volume -

Will adjust the overall volume.

- VSS (Virtual Surround Sound) -

Hold this button down to disable/enable, with VSS enabled, you will get the 7.1 VSS.

- Mute -

This will mute/unmute the microphone.

♦ Comfort & Sound Quality ♦

This headset is extremely comfortable overall, both the headband and earpads are super soft which make these very comfortable over longer periods of time.

Sound quality is great, especially when using the specific sound profiles available on the headset companion app. I've used the shooter profile on games such as Battlefield 4 & Resogun and am pleased with the results; great sense of direction with clear and crisp sound.

I've had to ask others for their opinion of my mic quality as I can't hear it myself, and everyone I've asked has said they can hear me very clearly, which is good as the microphone is completely hidden.

There is one downside to this and the other previous models which didn't used to bother me, but has been recently, and that has to do with there being no playback when talking on the microphone. Due to the over-ear design, you can't really hear yourself when talking, so as the volume gets louder, you'll find yourself talking more loudly.

I hope they can implement an update sometime in the future that will sort this issue out...

♦ Gold Headset -VS- Pulse Headset ♦

- Gold Headset -

+ Foldable design making it easier to store.
+ Slightly more comfortable than the Pulses, probably due to it being more lightweight as well as extra width of headband.
+ Sound has been improved a bit from the Pulses.
+ Longer battery life (up from 6 hours to 8).
+ Cheaper in cost (I paid £75 on first release which is £20-£30 cheaper than the Pulses).

- Pulse Headset -

+ Slider controls rather than buttons.
+ Bass impact (was a love or hate feature).
+ Multiple sound profiles available to select through at once.
+ Has an aux port on the dongle for additional wireless usage with certain devices.

Both are great headsets to which both also have their ups and downs compared to each other, however I seem to be using the Golds more.

♦ Overall Opinion ♦

This is a pretty solid headset that's available for a premium price, though I honestly believe it's money well spent... They're comfortable which means I can wear them for long gaming sessions, and with its crisp sound & VSS feature, it makes me feel more immersed with the gameplay.

I've been using these for almost two weeks now and couldn't recommend them enough.

.·:*¨*:·.·:*¨*:·.

EDIT - DECEMBER 2014: I've owned these for about half a year now and still don't regret purchasing these. A great buy!
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 September 2014
I purchased these headphones for two main reasons; I'm a firm believer that good sound makes a game, and the other half was complaining I had the TV too loud!

First impressions out of the box are good, the headphones are good quality and easily adjustable to fit pretty much any head size. Like pretty much any wireless device these days it needs a charge for a few hours before use to top up the battery. I also highly recommend that PS4 users download the free headphone app from the PS store (it works fine without, this just provides some extra modes for specific games so well worth it).

Overall I am extremely impressed with the sound quality, especially with the 'virtual' 7.1 surround sound enabled, this adding a real extra dimension to the gaming experience. The integrated microphone also works extremely well, with both multiplayer chat and PS voice control working well through it. Any gripes? Well, the charge cable is pathetically short but not much else to be honest, I tend to use my Samsung phone charger to charge my PS peripherals anyway. The USB dongle is a bit big too, but not really an issue for me. I've also tried the headphones on PS3 and PC (PC using the included adaptor through the headphone jack as normal) and found it to be a very competent performer, although you don't get the 7.1 sound through PC.

So, well made, comfortable, great sound quality and the other half is happy, highly recommended
on 12 January 2015
Have been using the headset for 3 days now and am pleasantly surprised at their quality in both sound and comfort. My left ear is very sensitive to headphones generally and a few minutes of wearing on ear phones is all I can manage, the Sony headset has large drivers so the ears fit inside the cushion which has allowed me to wear them for around 3 hours in comfort. The volume, mute, mix controls etc are all found on the left ear phone and quite easily adjusted without taking the headset off ( once acquainted with their position) the 7.1 sound is added by an app which is easily downloaded from the PS store and does make a difference in spatial awareness. This can be switched on and off via a button on the left earphone. Wireless works very well and has a good range. Overall I am very happy with this purchase the only exception being the silly length of charge lead included, it's so short that you will need space for the phones right by the Usb connection on the PS3, therefore it gets a 4 rating.
on 12 April 2014
I recently purchased these headphones and have to say I've found them to be very good. The packaging etc is all top notch and the build quality of the headset itself is good.

Sound wise on the PS4 the surround sound on games such as BF4 is superb and very immersive. Also I've had no complaints from anyone in the same room as me to turn them down, so I think they do a pretty good job of keeping all the sound in.

Overall I'm really pleased. Note: I paid £89.99 for them and have noticed the price going up, not sure they are worth the £129.99 I've seen them for recently. But that's a personal choice
on 12 August 2014
I read many amazing reviews for these so decided to get a pair.

Overall I'm pleased. I've had more expensive headphones before and they did have more of a "punch" to the sound, i.e. real bass. These don't offer such a punch bass-wise, but the quality and clarity of sound is excellent. There's no detectable "hiss" on them either (maybe when you first turn them on, not when they're outputting sound though) which is a relief.

Key points:

* Very comfortable
* Wireless is great
* You can charge while you use them if they're running low on juice
* 7.1 sounds fantastic.. with the right software.

It should be noted that this is Virtual Surround Sound (VSS) delivered to one speaker in each earpiece. Some more expensive headsets offer true surround sound via multiple speakers in each earpiece. Those can sound incredible, the only downside being their expense and weight.

The VSS in this headset sounds great in The Last Of Us (follow setup steps I outline below!), I haven't yet tried it on Battlefield 4 or other games though. According to critic reviews online the headsets deliver to a high standard if the software delivers i.e. offers the right audio output options. So if you're not playing a AAA game then don't expect stunning surround sound, they may not offer anything better than stereo.

==== Setup ====

* There's a quick start guide with them and that's it, no real manual.

* Follow the steps in that, including download of the Headset Companion App.

* Make sure your Headset receiver is plugged into a USB port on the PS4, and the headset should be on. You should also connect a Micro USB cable (either the super short one provided or, easier, a longer one you already have) to the Headset and to the PS4's other USB port.

* Note that on the PS4 dashboard when you visit Settings -> Sound and Screen -> Audio you should choose to output 'All Audio' to the headphones. The output type of Linear PCM / Bitstream(Dolby) / Bitstream(DTS) only affects your optical cable output, it doesn't affect the Headset.

* Load the Headset Companion App when it's downloaded and installed.

* Choose the Gold headset (on the right).

* Now press Options -> Factory Defaults -> OK. This actually updates the firmware on the headset, more recent firmware = better.

* Once that's done, turn your headset off then on again.

* Now you're good to go

==== The Last of Us (TLOU) ====

* You have to use the TLOU profile available in the Headset Companion App to enable 7.1 support for the Headset.

* Enter the Headset Companion App, choose TLOU profile, download and install it, now flick the Headset power switch to position 2 (usually this is "more bass" or your own custom audio profile).

* When you're in TLOU (you needn't restart if it's already running) go to Options -> Audio then choose Surround Sound Headphones and select 7.1 on the ?Channel? option below, though it should default to that.

* Now you're ready to rock! Awesome Virtual Surround Sound in TLOU :-)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 June 2015
The sound is unbelievable in these. Use the app to customise the sound to your liking. Even has soundscape setups that you can download to the headphones/PS4 for certain games.

Good weight and solid build quality. Comfortable and comes with lead to connect to Vita. Headband is comfortable and nicely padded without there being too much that it or the actual cups feel too soft or too hard.

Built in microphone. So you don't have to position it, risk damage to it or be annoyed by it as there is no mini boom.

Warframe sounds superb. I would not hesitate to recommend this headset to anyone it does everything you want and to PS4/PS3 there are no wires whatsover except when you charge with a micro charger as per a non-Apple device.

Right size, right sound, right price. Just right!

Goldilocks would love a pair.
on 23 April 2015
Pretty good sound for the price / wireless. Not fond of the fact that there's a dongle taking up a USB port on the PS4. If you're thinking that they sound interesting due to the 2nd sound mode found on the headset don't. There's very few games that support it and if I'm honest I don't really hear the difference. One of the awesome features found on this however is the fact you can control how much of a channel you hear. If you're in a MP game where you have someone blazing their mouth off every few seconds you can actually lower the voice and increase the game sound until you can only hear the game and no voice. Vice Versa, only voice and no game, which is awesome for team MP games.
on 4 October 2014
Are these headphones worth the money for the PS4? Absolutely. If you're wondering if you should take a punt on them, go for it, they're the best pair of headphones you'll own for the PS4. Shooting games sound amazing, if you have The Last of Us, put these headphones on, turn the lights off, sit down and enjoy an incredible experience!

Only reason I haven't given them 5 as on other devices, the sound quality isn't anywhere near as good. On my phone and on my computer, they just lack a lot of the punch that they have on the PS4. The bass isn't great when it isn't on the PS4 and there's no surround sound. Which is a shame as they're mega comfy and would love to use them out and about. Overall, I'd certainly recommend these, as the pros outweigh the cons by a ton.