TOP 50 REVIEWERon 28 February 2014
This has been in the pipeline for a while now with PS4 gamers especially wanting a wireless stereo headset to complete the experience, although it's worth pointing out that this particular headset will also work with the PS3, Vita and PC. Please note that the 7.1 surround sound only works with the PS3 and PS4! Also note that it only works wirelessly with the PS3 and PS4 so if using with the Vita or mobile device you will need to operate it via a cable.

The headset comes well packaged and has a decent weighty feel to it, before I talk about the actual headset I first want to mention what you get in the box. Besides the actual headset you get the dongle part that acts as a receiver and plugs directly into a spare USB port on the device you are using it with. You get a very short Micro USB charging cable to charge the headset with; you also get a headphone jack cable for use with tablets and other such devices, a travel pouch and warranty documentation. Again before I talk about the actual headset I must be honest and say I was shocked at the size of the wireless dongle, it's not exactly small and compact and indeed sticks out from the console. The one question I would ask is why does the headset use wireless technology and not Bluetooth since the console has that capability built in?

On to the headset itself. It features a standard wrap around design which is well padded and each side can be extended up and down the arm so you can easily get comfy and everyone from people with larger heads to those that have smaller heads should be well catered for, the headset itself can be folded to save space during travelling but also the earphone part is better protected. For those wondering where the microphone arm is let me please you by saying the microphone itself is built in and does not stick out and I can confirm that even if you speak slightly on the quiet side your voice will be picked up, to quote my friend my voice was "spot on"!

This headset is noise cancelling not only in isolating exterior noise but also reducing the amount of background noise the microphone picks up and I can confirm it does a really good job of that, so much so I got told off by my other half for not listening to her, she was in the next room shouting for me but genuinely I couldn't hear her. Not that my excuse got me very far! The ear cups themselves are very comfy over long gaming sessions and don't apply any uneven pressure!

Audio quality in Chat and game audio is fantastic. Surround sound is stellar!!! No really it's fantastic and 7.1 really does impress. So much so it puts the turtle beach pair I had a few years ago to shame. Let me put it this way, you never get bored of hearing footsteps behind you and bullets flying past your head and indeed I would say it takes the gaming experience to another level. Controls wise you have volume buttons, mute and a rocker to choose between game and party sound (so you find the right balance between your friends talking and audio from the game) and a mode button.

Now battery life has been suggested at around 8 hours, I'm managing to get around six and a half hours, admittedly I was talking to friends as well as using it for surround sound at the same time so on the whole I can't complain although I will be investing in a longer cable so I can continue to use them and charge it at the same time as the cable supplied is a joke!

Other things worth noting are that the side plates are removable so you will be able to snap on different colours and designs I'm guessing at some point in the future for those that want to customize the headset to their individual tastes! There is also a companion app so you can download pre-set profiles for specific games making the experience even better and there is also a status display of the headset on screen so you can keep an eye on the battery level at all times.

Pros: Feels sturdy like it will last * very comfy * excellent stereo audio quality with 7.1 surround sound with compatible games * Compatible with PS3 and the Vita * good quality microphone that is built in * MUTE button * battery life seems pretty good * Works with PC * EXCELLENT value considering what you get!

Cons: Uses Wireless and not Bluetooth which seems stupid considering the PS4 has a Bluetooth receiver built in* If they had used Bluetooth and not wireless the battery life would be even longer * the wireless dongle takes up an additional USB slot and seems like an afterthought rather than a neat and compact device * charging cable is pathetically short

VERDICT: For the price you are probably getting the best value wireless headset on the market and when you factor in the quality you won't be disappointed. Don't get me wrong there are a few things that indicate that they cut corners like the fact it uses wireless and not Bluetooth and the dongle itself could have been smaller. All the small things aside I love this headset and the fact there are no wires is a big bonus especially with pets running around the house and indeed the other half not watching what's on the floor so I couldn't be happier and like I said earlier the price and quality is right!

RECOMMENDED!

UPDATE 16th December 2014: Headset is still working and very much still recommend it, battery life is holding strong at around 6 hours!
5151 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 7 June 2012
Needed a new bluetooth headset to replace an ageing Nokia one which had done sterling service but was falling apart. My wish list was micro USB charger connection (same as my current phone and most new ones so one less charger in the glovebox) and having done some research realised that "multipoint" meant I could connect 2 phones at once (personal and work at same time - no call forwarding one to the other....result!)
Arrived within 2 days with supersaver free delivery - much quicker than estimated and considering we have just had Jubilee w/end with 2 BHs even more impressive! Felt very sorry for the very soggy postie who delivered it...Royal Mail is another institution we should celebrate compared to many "other" delivery companies that constantly let me down or somehow can't find my house or say they tried to deliver when my "very vocal" dog and I were at home and I know no-one came to the door all day.
Back to the kit. Comes very well packaged and with both mains and in car charger included (although welcome seemed to defeat the object of everyone going down the micro usb route and perhaps just a micro usb cable would have sufficed?)
It connected to my phone instantly with voice prompts advising battery level and connection status. As a bonus I was surprised that the h/s was smaller than I thought it would be from the photos. Very comfy to wear and easy to change to wear on either ear. Easy to use, voice dialling works perfectly. The noise cancelling seems to work very well - made a call in the car at around 50mph with driving rain, windscreen wipers and traffic noise yet the person at the other end could hear no background noise. In addition the headset features A2DP which allows you to play HQ audio (all your MP3s, podcasts and stuff) from your phone to the headset. If you are an iPhone user there is a handy battery level icon which appears by default next to the normal battery level meter on your phone (no app required).
Overall I would rate this as a quality piece of kit which appears well made and robust enough to stand the test of time. It works out of the pack with no fuss or need to look at instructions and the sound quality is decent.
If you are torn between a "cheapo" headset or spending a bit more I would suggest going for quality every time.
I recommend this headset without hesitation
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This headset is very decent in my opinion. It has a very good price for the amount of features that you can have, and the battery claims to last a very long time (11 hours but in reality around 10 hours). In the box you get the headset, USB mains charger (with Europe (2-pin) and UK (3-pin) plugs), USB cable (the same connector pins found on blackberry and HTC chargers), USB car charger and instructions. Now onto the headset itself, it allows you to connect two phones, power on/off slider, reads out the headsets power status when turned on, reads out power when connected to an iphone, uses bluetooth 3.0 but works with bluetooth 2.0, can play music and podcasts, has noise cancellation, volume rockers and a call accept, call reject, bluetooth reconnect, call redial, voice search and phone pairing button located at the end of the headset ( at the small print that reads out Plantronics). I find that the headset is comfortable to wear (a little tricky to get the hoop over you ear though) and will stay in your ear. It was smaller than expected but is very portable, the only niggle being that the plastic hoop sticks out slightly. The build quality feels good, and the headset looks secure, the plastic hoop does not feel flimsy and dosnt bend with some light pressure.

Pros:
Good Price
Lots of features
Easy to use
Good call quality, voice and hearing.
Compatible with two phones that has bluetooth and headset capabilities
Good build quality and 'retro' design aesthetics
Long battery life
Charging accessories included

Cons:
The earpiece does not sound amazing (but not amazingly bad) whilst playing music, so if your an audiophile this headset is not for you, but for someone who wouldn't take much notice or thought to sound quality (my Dad), they would appreciate that this headset can do this.
Designed more for a smartphone with battery readouts and better volume controls (older phones are not as sophisticated to know that the headset can control the volume, therefore the old phone will change its volume back automatically whereas a smartphone wont)

Overall, i would say this a very decent headset for its price and you get alot for your buck! It makes a great gift too, despite its few niggles, the major being the music playback sound quality, so this gift wouldn't be the ideal headset for someone who has a strong need for clear deep music.. If you do not want the facility of music playback, Platronics offer a very similar headset called the M20.
♦ Brief ♦

I've been through all the past official wireless headsets that have come out (7.1 Stereo Wireless Headset &Pulses) and have always been impressed, so when this one was announced I was more than eager to get my hands on them.

With the previous models, the Pulses were the "successor" to the 7.1 Stereo Wireless Headset, however with this newer version (also known as the 'Gold Headset' in the US), I'm rather unsure whether these are a successor to the Pulses... They both have certain features which are better than each other.

That said, these are undoubtedly very high quality in both sound and comfort.

♦ What's in the box? ♦

7.1 Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 | USB Dongle* | Micro USB Cable** | Stereo Cable*** | Carry Case | Manual/Documents.

* This is vital to connect your PS3/PS4 via a wireless connection, do not lose this as you can't buy these separately.

** Unlike the Pulses, these actually come with a charging cable, HOORAH! Except the cable is rather short.

*** This cable is used to connect the headset to a Vita or a Dualshock 4 controller; using it this way will mean you don't need to turn the headset on, nor does the headset has to have any charge.

♦ Set-Up & Using ♦

As I'm sure you're aware of, this headset works with the PS4, PS3 & PS Vita, whichever console you're planning on connecting this headset to, the set-up is very simple and easy to do, just follow one of the steps below.

- PlayStation 4 -

Wireless Set-Up:

1) Insert USB dongle into the PS4.
2) Turn the headset on.
3) Select the user profile you want to link the headset to (asks every time you turn them on).

If you have two of these headsets, you can actually use them both at the same time using two different user profiles, this means you can even both participate in the same party chat.

Wired Set-Up:

1) Plug the stereo cable into the headset.
2) Insert the other end of the cable into the Dualshock 4 controller.

Whichever set-up you go for, if no game sound is going to the headset, follow these steps:
Settings > Sound and Screen > Audio Output Settings > Output to Headphones > All audio.

Alternatively, hold the PS button down and go to "Adjust Devices", you can also tweak the settings there.

- PlayStation 3 -

Wireless Set-Up:

1) Insert USB dongle into the PS3.
2) Turn the headset on.

The PS3 should configure everything automatically.

- PlayStation Vita -

Wired Set-Up:

1) Plug the stereo cable into the headset.
2) Insert the other end of the cable into the Vita.

♦ Headset Functions ♦

There are many functions on the headset itself, most of which are only usable when wirelessly connected.

- Pre-Set Sound Mode -

When turning on the headset, if you skip over to '2' rather than '1', you can select to use a special pre-set sound mode which enhances the sound to that specific genre, such as "shooter" or "music" etc...

Though you will need to set it up by firstly downloading the 'Headset Companion App', then connect the headset to your PS3/PS4 and upload a sound profile to it through the app.

- Sound/Chat -

This allows you to adjust the ratio of chat to in-game audio; you can have it balanced, or more swayed to one or the other.

- Volume -

Will adjust the overall volume.

- VSS (Virtual Surround Sound) -

Hold this button down to disable/enable, with VSS enabled, you will get the 7.1 VSS.

- Mute -

This will mute/unmute the microphone.

♦ Comfort & Sound Quality ♦

This headset is extremely comfortable overall, both the headband and earpads are super soft which make these very comfortable over longer periods of time.

Sound quality is great, especially when using the specific sound profiles available on the headset companion app. I've used the shooter profile on games such as Battlefield 4 & Resogun and am pleased with the results; great sense of direction with clear and crisp sound.

I've had to ask others for their opinion of my mic quality as I can't hear it myself, and everyone I've asked has said they can hear me very clearly, which is good as the microphone is completely hidden.

There is one downside to this and the other previous models which didn't used to bother me, but has been recently, and that has to do with there being no playback when talking on the microphone. Due to the over-ear design, you can't really hear yourself when talking, so as the volume gets louder, you'll find yourself talking more loudly.

I hope they can implement an update sometime in the future that will sort this issue out...

♦ Gold Headset -VS- Pulse Headset ♦

- Gold Headset -

+ Foldable design making it easier to store.
+ Slightly more comfortable than the Pulses, probably due to it being more lightweight as well as extra width of headband.
+ Sound has been improved a bit from the Pulses.
+ Longer battery life (up from 6 hours to 8).
+ Cheaper in cost (I paid £75 on first release which is £20-£30 cheaper than the Pulses).

- Pulse Headset -

+ Slider controls rather than buttons.
+ Bass impact (was a love or hate feature).
+ Multiple sound profiles available to select through at once.
+ Has an aux port on the dongle for additional wireless usage with certain devices.

Both are great headsets to which both also have their ups and downs compared to each other, however I seem to be using the Golds more.

♦ Overall Opinion ♦

This is a pretty solid headset that's available for a premium price, though I honestly believe it's money well spent... They're comfortable which means I can wear them for long gaming sessions, and with its crisp sound & VSS feature, it makes me feel more immersed with the gameplay.

I've been using these for almost two weeks now and couldn't recommend them enough.

.·:*¨*:·.·:*¨*:·.

EDIT - DECEMBER 2014: I've owned these for about half a year now and still don't regret purchasing these. A great buy!
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 1 September 2014
I purchased these headphones for two main reasons; I'm a firm believer that good sound makes a game, and the other half was complaining I had the TV too loud!

First impressions out of the box are good, the headphones are good quality and easily adjustable to fit pretty much any head size. Like pretty much any wireless device these days it needs a charge for a few hours before use to top up the battery. I also highly recommend that PS4 users download the free headphone app from the PS store (it works fine without, this just provides some extra modes for specific games so well worth it).

Overall I am extremely impressed with the sound quality, especially with the 'virtual' 7.1 surround sound enabled, this adding a real extra dimension to the gaming experience. The integrated microphone also works extremely well, with both multiplayer chat and PS voice control working well through it. Any gripes? Well, the charge cable is pathetically short but not much else to be honest, I tend to use my Samsung phone charger to charge my PS peripherals anyway. The USB dongle is a bit big too, but not really an issue for me. I've also tried the headphones on PS3 and PC (PC using the included adaptor through the headphone jack as normal) and found it to be a very competent performer, although you don't get the 7.1 sound through PC.

So, well made, comfortable, great sound quality and the other half is happy, highly recommended
on 24 August 2014
Really good and make games much more immersive plus you don't annoy your missus and neighbours playing THE LAST OF US at half one in the morning ! I got these for £62 from Amazon and at the time of writing this review they are an even better £60 ! I called into GAME in Coventry on Friday afternoon to see about buying them from there and they were £89 !! Ordered Friday afternoon and as I have Prime they arrived Saturday afternoon, fantastic service from Amazon as always.

These headphones are very well made, are very comfortable and sound great. The quick start guide could be better written as it doesn't tell you that you have to push the ps button on the ds4 controller, select options and then ALL in the audio options as it comes default to just chat. I thought they weren't working to start with but once the output selection was correctly set , instant audio in my lugholes, great sound, you can hear every foot step, voice and growl etc........being attacked by clickers in the last of us is now actually a pretty scary experience , especially playing in the dark in the early hours. Get these you wont be disappointed and at this price they are a bargain !
on 6 May 2012
Brilliant product - easy to setup with iPhone 4. Crystal clear speech for both call participants. Best I have come across. With iPhone 4 you get additional prompts. Voice dialling works very well. Fits to ear very comfortably and over-ear piece sits well.
on 24 March 2012
received the plantronics M50 bluetooth headset on time,
It's reasonably priced,and a terrific piece of kit.
I bought a Plantronics headset two years ago for £14,it was the first one i had,and i was highly delighted with it,i replaced it because the battery needed charging more frequently,every couple of days,but having used it every day for two years,it had given good service,
The new headset is light,easy to set up,plus you can use two phones with it.
I'm highly delighted with it,and would advise anyone thinking of investing in one to do it.
The only problem was the packaging you need a tin opener to get into it.
on 22 November 2012
This is the fourth or fifth bluetooth headset I have owned and I have to say it is the best yet. It is comfortable to wear and feels secure in the ear. The controls are very positive, click on and off and the fact that it tells you when switched on, the battery level and when your phone is connected or disconnected is really useful. If you wander out of range of your phone it tells you that the phone is disconneced and automatically reconnects when back in range and tells you that you have reconnected. The sound quality is good. With my Samsung Galaxy SII it also relays all the voice commands when using as a sat nav.
on 14 April 2012
This was £40 in Carphone Warehouse. The M50 is made for the iphone and shows immediately state of charge in headset on the iphone.
I can listen to music on the iphone and then accept calls on my sony phone at the same time.
It tells you when it connects to both phones and when it has disconnected when i wander too far from the phone.
I have been decorating the house with with this device and can accept calls with out stopping.
Handy and cheap for what it does so well.