Colour Name: BlackChange

The ATH-M50X really ooze quality. Their sleek design, top notch build quality and performance reflects great attention to detail.

These headphones deliver amazing crisp sound with excellent balance from treble to bass whilst retaining loads of detail. I particularly find the bass sounds so deep and only matched by much more expensive headphones. And be it classical or rock, these drivers will handle anything you throw at them with ease, rewarding you with an immersing musical experience.

The ATH-M50X are built to last, thanks to the sturdy materials and solid build quality. The 3 supplied cables are reinforced at the extremities and fit snugly and securely to the headphones.

The other two variants have a non removable cable and are the ATH-M50 which comes with a coiled cable and the ATH-M50s, where "s" means that the cable is straight. All 3 versions produce identical high quality sound.

I simply love these headphones! And at this price, they definitely don't come any better.

Highly recommended.
on 9 March 2014
1. Sound quality. Highs are crisp, but not too bright; mids are good; bass is punchy and tight. It is difficult to find *better* sounding headphones in this price segment.
2. Build. They are very solidly built and ergonomics are great. There is no complex suspending system, so there is nothing to break.
3. Portability. Both cups rotate horizontally 180°, and they fold vertically, to make the headphone's dimensions quite small and portable-friendly. The supplied pouch comes in handy.
4. Unlike their predecessors, the ATH-M50X arrive with three detachable cables: a long straight one (you can use it to connect to a source that is further away), a short straight one (very handy when connecting to a smartphone, or if your computer is located very near to where you sit), and a medium-length coiled one (for mixed purposes). The insert-and-turn locking system secures the cable to the left cup.
5. No sound leakage. These are closed-back headphones, so you can use them in a room, filled with people, or while commuting, without the need to worry that you might disturb someone.
6. With an impedance of 38 ohms you do not need a headphone amp to drive them.

1. Cable connectors are proprietary. But then again you get three cables in the box, so it is unlikely that you will be looking to buy new cables any time soon.
2. At 285 g (10 oz) plus the cable, the ATH-M50X are a little heavier than similar-sized headphones I have owned. But making them lighter would most probably affect build quality.
3. I have watched video reviews, making the argument that the ATH-M50X are not exactly audiophile quality (that is, their response is not as 'flat' and 'neutral', as it should be). This could indeed be the case, as Audio-Technica has other models (like the ATH-A900X), positioned in the higher and more expensive segment, but the latter are not meant to be carried around or enjoyed in the street. In my opinion ATH-M50X have been built to produce enjoyable (rather than analytical) sound. Consider this carefully.
4. Comfort is good, but not great. These are actually on-ear headphones, so they do press on your ears. They are sturdy, but also a bit heavy and rigid. This is difficult to convey in words, but I had a chance to compare them to Philips Fidelio X2 (true over-the-ears headphones), whose cups are so big that your ears completely fit inside and comfort-wise Fidelio are the clear winner.

When all of the above have been taken into consideration, Audio-Technica ATH-M50X might be the best value for money headphone on the market today.
1. They may not sound as neutral as AKG 702 (but the latter are not portable, there is serious sound leakage, and you cannot drive them adequately with your smartphone).
2. They are not cable-free or as light as the Bluetooth Sony MDR-1BT, but the ATH-M50X sound much better.
3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50X is the overall winner if you are looking for enjoyable full-bodied sound, sturdy build, detachable cables, and a no-nonsense look. You simply cannot go wrong with them!

Recently, I have come across a new product that will help you turn Audio-Technica ATH-M50X into wireless headphones, so that you can take advantage of their sturdy construction and great sound quality – on the go! It is a Bluetooth dongle, called "BTunes VXB-25 2.5 mm Model" and can currently be bought from (the US version of the site) for $99.95 USD. You can read my full review here:
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2015
My first purchase to Audio Technica Headphones and I'm so happy to get the limited edition. The chocolaty color looks cool. Awesome crisp clear sound quality. Really the price, it's worth it ...
review image review image review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 June 2014
I have have probably reviewed most headphones in mainstream electronic stores in the UK which include brands from Bose all the way to Beats, Sennheiser to Bang and Olufsen, AKG to Sony and can absolutely say that these are absolutely my favorite pair of headphones I have ever heard under the £350 price tag (not to say I have actually heard anything above that)!

In a nutshell, these headphones have a fantastically well balanced, detailed and powerful sound not heard all together in one single headphone. The highs are detailed, crystal clear but not to over powering, the mids are very well represented with a natural sound and the base is detailed, punchy and can be very fun if you decide to crank it up a bit!

Close your eyes and these headphones help you believe that you are their with the musician. These are seemingly a very technically advanced headphone which truly does well across all music genres I have listened to (Rock, Techno, Dance, Pop, Classical

I will however leave you with a note of caution, these headphones represent the audio very clearly, therefore if you have a poor quality audio track, then you will hear the poor quality in all more detail, however if you have a high quality audio track, boy are you be in for a treat!
on 22 December 2014
Whilst working away on tour in the US & Canada I started thinking about treating myself to a new pair of headphones ready for returning home to a package containing my new Pono hi-res music player.

Earlier in the year I had purchased a pair on Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear headphones. I have always liked the sound, style & build quality of Sennheiser but having clocked up a lot of listening hours with the Momentums whilst away, I felt the low end on this model was somewhat too warm / fuzzy / unfocused … I hope you get the general idea I’m trying to put over ; )

Many people kept suggesting Grado models for the sound I was hoping to achieve. Now I also love the sound and style of Grados BUT their open back design is a complete non-starter for me! A closed back design with minimal sound leakage (IN & OUT) is essential for me if I am to avoid drive fellow colleagues travelling with me on tour buses crazy or when I want to listen to some jazz at home (“j-a-z-z” being the only four letter word that offends my wife). So, unfortunately, Grado = NoNo.

Towards the end of my trip I headed to The Headphone Bar in Vancouver ready & willing to spend up to around $500 to $600 (£300 to £400), maybe more, for something that offered the WOW! factor.

Being a specialist headphone emporium rather than one covering all aspects of hi-fi, The Headphone Bar have a very impressive array of products; Grado, Beyer Dynamic, Sennheiser, AKG, B&O, etc.

Having read lots of reviews and articles prior to my visit (I know that one should always treat reviews with a certain amount of scepticism but they can be very useful in pointing one in the right direction in a market with so many possibilities), I thought that one of the models in the Beyerdynamic range may well be THE ones … possibly the T70P.

However, having listened to several Beyer models (T51i, T70P, T90) it was clear that they were not to my taste. These all featured Beyer’s Tesla technology and to my ears all sounded harsh, tinny & thin with no low end “Ooompf” whatsoever. I’m no drum & bass fan, but I do like a solid bass line and good attack on drums. (I know the Tesla models need to be run-in but these were all display models that had had plenty of run-in time).

I also tried the Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ears which whilst representing a step-up from my existing On-Ears shared much of the Momentum sound characteristics.

The B&O H6 sounded quite nice but for me did not warrant their price tag.

Next were some models from V-Moda that I had not heard before. Their M100 model was far more the sound I had been looking for although I wasn’t particularly taken by their design & looks … but a possible nevertheless. Added to the shortlist.

I then happened to pick up the Audio Technica ATH-M50x phones which I hadn’t previously tried as they were in very much the same price bracket as my existing Sennheisers.

The immediate WOW! factor was there from the first few bars of Foo Fighter’s Congregation; solid, rich low end (without being overblown), crystal clear high-end (without being harsh), a great soundstage and a wonderful sense of space around all the instruments.

I’m a drummer, so I tend to always notice how drums sound on recordings. With the ATH-M50x phones kick drums had far more attack and depth than on my Sennheiser Momentums and snare drums and cymbals had great resonance and space around them. Some test tracks featuring Messrs Peart, Hawkins & Collins all sounded fantastic.

I have a very broad taste in music and so tried out the ATH-M50x’s with some Foo Fighters, Nick Drake, Rush, Bob Marley, Genesis, Gregory Porter & Debussy … everything sounded amazing!

The comfort factor was also there; even for a glasses wearer. Over the last few days of my travels I listened to LOTS of music on my MacBook Pro and iPhone and didn’t experience either ’tired’ ears or any discomfort from prolonged wearing of these phones. With an iPhone some people might want them to go a little bit louder if you are into metal or dance music, but a Pono player only needs the volume at around 50% for PLENTY of volume.

There is no in-built mic/remote on any of the supplied cables but that’s not a big issue for me as I usually also carry a set on Klipsch in-ears with me as well.

… and the WOW! factor was taken to another level when I got home and plugged the ATH-M50x’s into my Pono!

Audio Technica market this model as professional studio monitor headphone rather than for domestic use (on their website it shows under the MONITOR category rather than the Hi-Fi category), so you may need to do a little hunting to find them, but it is definitely worth it.

Anyone in the market for closed back headphones up to $600 / £400 should definitely audition this product!

For me, this model represents AMAZING value for money … I was willing to spend more than double the price of the ATH-M50x’s but couldn’t find anything that (to my ears) bettered this model.

Official Website:

Example Prices:

Sennheiser Momentum On-ear £170 rrp but typically around £130

Audio Technica ATH-M50x £180 rrp but typically around £130

Beyer Dynamic T70p £456 but typically around £385

V-Moda M100 £250 rep but typically around £220
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 October 2015
These are by far the best headphones i have ever owned. They are crystal clear, have great highs, mids and nice (not muddy) thumping bass. You don't have to be an audiophile to appreciate the sound, any casual listener will immediately pick up on the great jump in quality coming from cheaper models of headphones.

The comfort on these was really unexpected, I previously owned a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's which proved to be very warm and tight on my head. This new model is a big step up, I can wear them for several hours before taking a break.

The build quality of these headphones just astounds me, they twist and turn as much as you could want, and can stretch enough for even the largest head. They are very portable because of the design which allows them to fold up.

Overall, these are a stellar pair of headphones, well worth the money spent. If you are thinking about buying these, then just go for it, you will not be disappointed.
on 24 November 2015
The ATH-M50X are a great pick up for everyone who doesn't have the funds to invest in 500 dollar headphones and still wants similar quality.

ME: I have been using these for about 7 months. I am not an audiophile, nor a professional reviewer so sorry if I made any technical mistakes!

Build and design: The build is excellent. The headphones are very sturdy and feel and look premium. Take impact well and no damage done when dropped. Even can be worn in light rain (not recommended!) I feel that the design is attractive and the attention to detail by Audio-Technica is unbelievable. The ear cups are extremely cushioned and comfortable and can be worn for many hours without becoming uncomfortable. When they did become uncomfortable on the head taking them off for 5 minutes worked like magic.

Convenience: These headphones are extremely portable and practical. The cups swivel 180 degrees from one side to the other, which isn't necessary but is a nice bonus. The best thing is that the headphones easily fold up vertically, which reduces their size and bulk vastly. Thus the headphones can easily be transported. They are also relatively light, and they fit perfectly into the premium leather bag. I use my M50Xs mainly with my phone, they are very suitable for mobile use. The cables can be switched, however since there is a special jack only the three provided cables can be used, not a custom wire. The provided cables are a 1m cable, a 3m coiled cable and a 3m straight cable. This wasn't an issue for me, as the 1m one is perfect for mobile use, the coiled one exceptional for PC use and the other 3m cable suitable for when I needed more reach, like when my phone was plugged in far away etc.

Sound: Coming from a non-audiophile this is by far the biggest pro. The sound quality blows me away every time I use the headphones. The bass is punchy and sounds realistic, the highs, mids and lows all sound excellent and instruments, sound and effects can be heard which you wouldn't here without headphones on. Very neutral and not modified sound, you hear what the artists intended you to. There isn't much else I can say about sound quality, you have got to try these on to understand what I mean. The other aspects of the sound are the volume, the max volume is really loud, even too loud for my ears, and noise isolation. While there is no active noise cancelling the puffy ear cups do stop lots of the noise coming in. Rarely, this can be a con like when someone is calling your name, but in general this is an excellent feature. I can't hear anything from the outside world when music is playing. Conversely, there is little to no sound leakage. No strangers or parents can hear that you have a secret passion for Justin Bieber!

Price and Comparison: In its price bracket, I feel these are the best headphones by far. I have tried a few more expensive headphones which have a worse sound quality. Beats by Dre for instance, cost so much more for worse sound quality and enhanced bass and highs. Well worth your money.

Another pro which doesn't fit in to any category is that no amp is needed for them to work, making the price seem even better.

CONS: There are hardly any. The main ones are that none of the cables include a mic, so phone calls can be annoying, but how often do you take a phone call while listening to music anyway? The headphones can be slightly bulky even while folded. Because of the special jack I can't use my custom cable. A mentioned, after hours of use get a bit uncomfortable.

VERDICT: As you can see, the Pros outweigh the Cons by far. Audio-Technica would get 6 stars from me for immaculate headphones!
Best value headphones (quality for price) on the market.
on 12 July 2015
Best headphones I've ever purchased bass and drums are top quality anyone hovering over the question of buying them just take the plunge 🔊
on 22 March 2015
Very nice. Good for your ears. Get 'em inta ya!
on 24 September 2015
Bought them today, they are extremely comfortable, sound is clear and the Bass is really nice, for £90 these are amazing. I would recommend these to everyone.

Extremely comfortable
Clear Sound
Very good Bass
Quite strong structure
Brilliant noise cancellation.

After some time you tend to get really warm