Audio-Technica ATH-M40X Professional Headphones - Black
Price:£63.00+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 10 December 2014
I did a lot of research before I bought these cans. My final shortlist included, besides these, the Sony MDR-V7605 and the Sennheisers HD280 and 558 pro.
Although I couldn't get a hand on the Sony's, these cans sound better than the Sennheisers and better fit my allround & travel purposes.
As said, these cans sound really good, and this for all kinds of music (classical, jazz, soundtracks, rock, pop, etc). At a first listening I was amazed with the sound quality. Everything online reviewers say about it is true. In addition: soundstage is excellent, bass is good. There is some sound leakage but truly it's minimal.
I must add that I use the equaliser on my ipod to modify sound depending on the kind of music I'm listening to. That makes a considerable difference. Also important: volume possibilities are also fine with these cans. I don't have to put my ipod on maximum volume in public spaces all the time to enjoy my music.
As to clamp, in the beginning it got a bit tight for me after about 1h30 - 2h of listening but then I put the cans between books about the width of my head for a night. Now they sit very nicely. The surpluss clamp seems to be gone.
What I also like about the M40x is that they are lighter than the M50x.
My only remark is that passive noise cancelling could probably have been better. You still do hear what happens around you. If this is normal level noise it cancels out once you put on a decent music volume. In especially busy public spaces and busy traffic streets, though, the cans are struggling to keep up. If that's what you want to buy the M40x for maybe you could (also) consider active noise cancelling headphones. In the train it doesn't bother me.
I don't know what's the reason for the fact that passive noise cancellation is probably not the best out there, although I didn't really do comparative research. Maybe it's the use of materials, for instance on the pads. I also read somewhere that soundstage is related to the level of outside noise shielding. Maybe a balance was struck. I don't know. I am not an expert.
Conclusion: Overall these are fabulous headphones. In the store the Sennheisers and all the other cans, even at a much higher price-point, at no moment matched up to the intimacy, the directness and the balanced nature of the sound of the M40X. Within seconds I felt that the M40x were clearly superior tan every alternative I tried out. When listening to old jazz albums (Bill Evans Trio) the soundstage is so good that I can actually hear where everybody was situated in the room to a degree that I would -by way of speech- hear a wallet drop to the right side of where in the room I seem to be.
With all the above in mind I find it hard to find arguments against the M40x, especially if you use them in a variety of situations and for a variety of musical styles. For such a soft price-tag they simply rock big time.
***
Addendum: if you want a hardcase for the M40x don't buy the Slappa case, it's too small. The UDG Creator case Small is perfect.
on 12 November 2014
If you're looking at these, it's probably because you're after a decent quality, affordable, NEUTRAL frequency response set of headphones. In which case, I'd say these are spot on!

Monitoring/Mixing:
I use them mainly for monitoring and mixing and found them comfy for many hours at a time. They seem to have reduced the amount of time spent achieving a balanced/musical mix when playing back over several different monitoring speakers.

Listening to Music: (My musical tastes/collection span most genres)
TBH, I've never been a big fan of listening to albums on headphones, but I've done it a lot more since getting these.
Don't let the 'flat/neutral response' make you think they're dull. There plenty of bass and presence, already nicely balanced.
And, at the risk of upsetting hardcore audiophiles - there's always tone controls and EQing for the few occassions you might want to tweek the experience or go OTT!

I doubt you'll regret buying them. I certainly didn't.
on 8 December 2014
Key points:
Over-the-ear
Bought for £69 (not expensive)
Quality product and well build
Minimalistic in terms of accessories
Very big packaging box
Box comes not sealed with a tape (!!!... this is normal... checked on youtube)
2 good gold-plated cables, a fake leather pouch, cans and some paper to lose
Excellent clear and balanced sound
Lows are not overpowering
Highs are not screechy
Mids are crips
Sturdy
Flexible
90 degrees rotation is useful although a weakness in the build
Neutral in style
Very light
Sits comfortably on the head
Not head-crushing
Not ear-crushing
Not for big heads
Not for small heads
Poor noise cancellation
Some sound leakage
No case included

Verdict:
Highly recommended
Value product with flagship build quality and sound
on 10 July 2014
I had some concerns that I would be missing out by not getting the M50X's but I just couldn't afford the extra £40 however,
I honestly could not imagine anything sounding better. Straight out of the box and the first thing I heard on these blew my mind.
I had been using the more expensive Grado SR80's and these just torpedoed them in every way.
Anyone who buys these will instantly understand the meaning of perfectly balanced sound. The bass is deep and expansive, the mids are huge and detailed and the highs are tight and crisp.
The only downside has been finding that I've had to download most of my music collection again at either 320kbps or as FLAC files as you really notice a huge drop in quality with mp3's recorded at a lower bit rate.
on 4 October 2014
I recently bought these as well as a set of Grado SR80e headphones. These are the ones that I have ended up using most of the time. While the Grado has a very upfront and engaging sound, the M40x sounds so much more natural - they give the impression that you are hearing the music much more like the artist and producers intended it to sound. The bass might be a slightly elevated but overall they just sound accurate and revealing. I have found that the sound improves significantly with good quality audio files, equipment and cables, and I suspect that negative reviews are more likely posted by people who have no understanding of the importance of paying attention to this.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 April 2015
For reference (pun intended), these were bought for use as field monitors, requiring thus:
* decent attenuation of external noise
* relatively - lightweight, durable and compact
* flat tuning / no tonal affectation
* capable of performing well without powerful amplification
And these deliver on all counts.

As extras I was less concerned about, but am pleased to say they're also:
* fantastically comfortable
* supplied with a choice of cables
* thoughtfully engineered
* great looking and feeling

They drive perfectly directly from the line-out of my ZOOM H2n allowing me to accurately monitor recording in-situ with a frankly extraordinary level of fine and deliberate detail.
And although I have yet to use them for the purpose, I am supremely confident they'll make editing a breeze!

When researching which headphones to get, I read and watched a lot of reviews, featuring folk describing their experience of listening through the various phones (including these), but every time the words left me still wondering what to expect.
Fortunately I then found a really useful video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udLoAV7YmjA ) from YouTube Channel "SonicSenseProAudio" which demonstrates (by the use of high end technical recording equipment and techniques) comparison of a few popular contenders in this price range and category, so you can hear the difference(s) yourself.
These phones really do what the video suggests - the response is completely flat.
They put out exactly what goes in! Precisely what monitors should do.

I am extremely pleased I didn't go down the Sennheiser path.
These are fantastic! :-)
on 26 March 2015
These over-ear headphones are light and comfortable. Both of those features are important to me, as I wear glasses, so the over-ear (covers the whole ear) type of headphones does not compress my ears and glasses into my head over after a long period of wearing the device. Also, the lightness of the headphone is important, again, after wearing it for a while, a pair of heavy headphones does become rather cumbersome and painful.

Regarding the sound production...Well, I am no audiophile, so here are my two cents...I do not like a lot of bass as I find that it gives me sore ears and I want a product that can produce a neutral sound, and the M40X does just that and it does so brilliantly.

I love it!
on 26 November 2014
Audio technia Ath M40X.
WOW!
I took a chance on these after listening to its big brother, the M 50X, which were very good, but were too big for my head.
This is my review.
I have heard several headphones and even owned the klipsch image one 2 headphones, similar price, but uncomfortable and way too bass heavy.
Once these are burned in they even get better. They are comfortable perfectly balanced across the frequency range, and when you read some people say they hear instruments etc they never heard before on their favourite tracks, this is absolutely correct.
To sum it up, a fantastic pair of cans which are a pleasure to listen to and at this price, nothing can touch it.
Golfman.
on 3 July 2015
This is my first foray into audiophile grade headphones so as a disclaimer I don't know much about highs/lows/balance, possible alternatives in this price range etc so I'll keep it simple. I'd say I have accumulated over 1,000 hours of use from these headphones and I can say that they are very good with little to no drawbacks. Everything they claim to be from the research I did before hand is true from my perspective. I read somewhere that they were a little on the large side which was something I was concerned about as I have a slightly small head but I still have to extend the arms one notch on either side to get the right fit so unless you have a seriously small head I wouldn't worry about that. The arms extend quite far as well for you folks with larger heads. The comfort is exceptional, I can easily wear these things for hours and hours with no discomfort and I was surprised at how light they are I saw on a review someone mentioned that but it still stumped me. I use these headphones mostly for gaming and listening to music on sound cloud and the quality is incredible, just crisp and clean. I've definitely garnered a new sense of appreciation for music from the detail produced from these bebes. As for drawbacks I'm sure if you were in sound production you'd be able to nit pick but I have yet to run into something that annoys me personally doing what I do and I'm not about to make something up. I haven't gone out of my way to test their durability but I have dropped them a few times from waist height onto wood and they haven't damaged. To sum it up in my opinion this is a high quality product from a reputable company that delivers what it boasts and for the money I spent ~£70 I would highly recommend these to anyone one of my best buys.
on 5 March 2015
Awesome music headset, no doubt. It's really good, but not as expected for the price. Take a look at a pro/con list.

First the pros:

»Awesome sound. You can just hear everything very clear.
»comfy ish. this is gonna make both lists. The pro about it is, that it's not gonna wabble. When you put it on, it's gonna stay, which is good.
» Thick Cable.
»screw-on normal jack size. which is good, you know it's not gonna pop off when you just pull it from you pre amp.
»Great for mixing music, which it is actually made for... so.... yeah....
» Solid design. Timelss, and good quality.

The cons:
» A little pitched. not that big of an issue, but as an audiophile, IMO at least, it's to the bad side of the descant.
»Comfy ish. It tightens lot arround your head. imo that's a negative. For me that makes it uncomfortable to wear it for several hours.
»The cable. It has a lock, which isn't bad, that's actually really good, but, that does cause a bad side. You can only use Audio Techinca wires made by them.
»NOT a gaming headset. It is decent, but do not buy this expect it to be doing good for long gaming sessions.

I hope this helped you in your choice of new headphones. I'd recommend these if you aren't a bass noob, but an audiophile, with great sense where balance should be. All in all, good headset, but i probably wouldn't pay that much for a headset of this quality again.