on 10 December 2014
I did a lot of research before I bought these cans. My final shortlist included, besides these, the Sony MDR-V7605 and the Sennheisers HD280 and 558 pro.
Although I couldn't get a hand on the Sony's, these cans sound better than the Sennheisers and better fit my allround & travel purposes.
As said, these cans sound really good, and this for all kinds of music (classical, jazz, soundtracks, rock, pop, etc). At a first listening I was amazed with the sound quality. Everything online reviewers say about it is true. In addition: soundstage is excellent, bass is good. There is some sound leakage but truly it's minimal.
I must add that I use the equaliser on my ipod to modify sound depending on the kind of music I'm listening to. That makes a considerable difference. Also important: volume possibilities are also fine with these cans. I don't have to put my ipod on maximum volume in public spaces all the time to enjoy my music.
As to clamp, in the beginning it got a bit tight for me after about 1h30 - 2h of listening but then I put the cans between books about the width of my head for a night. Now they sit very nicely. The surpluss clamp seems to be gone.
What I also like about the M40x is that they are lighter than the M50x.
My only remark is that passive noise cancelling could probably have been better. You still do hear what happens around you. If this is normal level noise it cancels out once you put on a decent music volume. In especially busy public spaces and busy traffic streets, though, the cans are struggling to keep up. If that's what you want to buy the M40x for maybe you could (also) consider active noise cancelling headphones. In the train it doesn't bother me.
I don't know what's the reason for the fact that passive noise cancellation is probably not the best out there, although I didn't really do comparative research. Maybe it's the use of materials, for instance on the pads. I also read somewhere that soundstage is related to the level of outside noise shielding. Maybe a balance was struck. I don't know. I am not an expert.
Conclusion: Overall these are fabulous headphones. In the store the Sennheisers and all the other cans, even at a much higher price-point, at no moment matched up to the intimacy, the directness and the balanced nature of the sound of the M40X. Within seconds I felt that the M40x were clearly superior tan every alternative I tried out. When listening to old jazz albums (Bill Evans Trio) the soundstage is so good that I can actually hear where everybody was situated in the room to a degree that I would -by way of speech- hear a wallet drop to the right side of where in the room I seem to be.
With all the above in mind I find it hard to find arguments against the M40x, especially if you use them in a variety of situations and for a variety of musical styles. For such a soft price-tag they simply rock big time.
***
Addendum: if you want a hardcase for the M40x don't buy the Slappa case, it's too small. The UDG Creator case Small is perfect.
on 8 December 2014
Key points:
Over-the-ear
Bought for £69 (not expensive)
Quality product and well build
Minimalistic in terms of accessories
Very big packaging box
Box comes not sealed with a tape (!!!... this is normal... checked on youtube)
2 good gold-plated cables, a fake leather pouch, cans and some paper to lose
Excellent clear and balanced sound
Lows are not overpowering
Highs are not screechy
Mids are crips
Sturdy
Flexible
90 degrees rotation is useful although a weakness in the build
Neutral in style
Very light
Sits comfortably on the head
Not head-crushing
Not ear-crushing
Not for big heads
Not for small heads
Poor noise cancellation
Some sound leakage
No case included

Verdict:
Highly recommended
Value product with flagship build quality and sound
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 April 2015
For reference (pun intended), these were bought for use as field monitors, requiring thus:
* decent attenuation of external noise
* relatively - lightweight, durable and compact
* flat tuning / no tonal affectation
* capable of performing well without powerful amplification
And these deliver on all counts.

As extras I was less concerned about, but am pleased to say they're also:
* fantastically comfortable
* supplied with a choice of cables
* thoughtfully engineered
* great looking and feeling

They drive perfectly directly from the line-out of my ZOOM H2n allowing me to accurately monitor recording in-situ with a frankly extraordinary level of fine and deliberate detail.
And although I have yet to use them for the purpose, I am supremely confident they'll make editing a breeze!

When researching which headphones to get, I read and watched a lot of reviews, featuring folk describing their experience of listening through the various phones (including these), but every time the words left me still wondering what to expect.
Fortunately I then found a really useful video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udLoAV7YmjA ) from YouTube Channel "SonicSenseProAudio" which demonstrates (by the use of high end technical recording equipment and techniques) comparison of a few popular contenders in this price range and category, so you can hear the difference(s) yourself.
These phones really do what the video suggests - the response is completely flat.
They put out exactly what goes in! Precisely what monitors should do.

I am extremely pleased I didn't go down the Sennheiser path.
These are fantastic! :-)
on 4 October 2014
I recently bought these as well as a set of Grado SR80e headphones. These are the ones that I have ended up using most of the time. While the Grado has a very upfront and engaging sound, the M40x sounds so much more natural - they give the impression that you are hearing the music much more like the artist and producers intended it to sound. The bass might be a slightly elevated but overall they just sound accurate and revealing. I have found that the sound improves significantly with good quality audio files, equipment and cables, and I suspect that negative reviews are more likely posted by people who have no understanding of the importance of paying attention to this.
on 6 July 2015
I bought these to replace my superb ES55s, and as I already own M50s for home-studio work, I had advance familiarity of the design. Here are a few guidance notes on these excellent headphones:

+ Incredible quality to price ratio
+ Clear, crisp sound, balanced neutrally, great for all music types
+ Brilliant bass response (I'm hearing sub-bass in tracks really well)
+ Attractive, rugged design
+ Comfortable on the ears
+ Sound immense with a powerful audio source (I'm using a FiiO portable audio player and there is so much volume driving the 'phones - it's a great combination)
+ Detachable cable, twist to lock (the latter is a good idea - I've recently had faulty AKG Y50s where the jack was way too loose, and decided not to risk another pair in case same issue arose)
+ Fold-able

A couple of considerations: The shorter lead has a coil at the device end, and the longer one is too long for portability; these are designed as studio monitors / home use, but Audio Technica might note that people like to buy them for portable use, and hence supply a shorter cable. You can buy one, but it's £15. (Note: I use the shorter supplied cable with a metal office paper clamp to hold in place to my belt - works perfectly!)

They are big, and warm - a little hot and bulky for the Summer. My ES55s were more suitable in this respect.

Overall, fantastic headphones.
on 9 February 2016
I bought these for work in July 2014. I've been impressed by the isolation the cups provide from the environment and by the audio quality, two things that will command a good price tag (approximately €100). However, their construction is flimsy. Bearing in mind this cost and the fact I listen to these at my desk, so I'm not throwing them in my bag or ripping them off my head at a gig, I would expect them to last longer than 18 months.

Today as I put them on the left ear cup broke just above the swivel, right at the point where the metal headband ends (Photo 1). I've taken a look at the right side at the same point and see it's not long for this world either with a decent crack. I'm not the only one who this has happened to either, other purchasers have had their headphones break in the exact same spot - see http://amzn.to/1nUVRxp and http://amzn.to/1Pz63mh for just two examples.

If you're barely going to use them, buy something cheaper. If you're going to use them every day, buy something with a better build quality. I doubt I'll get much despite the 2 year warranty from AudioTechnica either but I'll update back here if I do.

Update: I sent my headphones over to the UK to Audio Technica who have repaired them under warranty. It was hassle free - get an RMA from Customer Support and send them off. Very impressed to see a company honouring warranties without making the customer put up a fight. Bumped to two stars for that - I still maintain it shouldn't be happening at all on reasonably expensive headphones.
review image review image
on 12 November 2014
If you're looking at these, it's probably because you're after a decent quality, affordable, NEUTRAL frequency response set of headphones. In which case, I'd say these are spot on!

Monitoring/Mixing:
I use them mainly for monitoring and mixing and found them comfy for many hours at a time. They seem to have reduced the amount of time spent achieving a balanced/musical mix when playing back over several different monitoring speakers.

Listening to Music: (My musical tastes/collection span most genres)
TBH, I've never been a big fan of listening to albums on headphones, but I've done it a lot more since getting these.
Don't let the 'flat/neutral response' make you think they're dull. There plenty of bass and presence, already nicely balanced.
And, at the risk of upsetting hardcore audiophiles - there's always tone controls and EQing for the few occassions you might want to tweek the experience or go OTT!

I doubt you'll regret buying them. I certainly didn't.
on 26 March 2015
These over-ear headphones are light and comfortable. Both of those features are important to me, as I wear glasses, so the over-ear (covers the whole ear) type of headphones does not compress my ears and glasses into my head over after a long period of wearing the device. Also, the lightness of the headphone is important, again, after wearing it for a while, a pair of heavy headphones does become rather cumbersome and painful.

Regarding the sound production...Well, I am no audiophile, so here are my two cents...I do not like a lot of bass as I find that it gives me sore ears and I want a product that can produce a neutral sound, and the M40X does just that and it does so brilliantly.

I love it!
on 4 September 2015
Audiophile Summary:
The ATH M40X are not a downgrade of the M50X. They are inequal in quality; yet quality equalisation makes up for the difference in driver size of 5mm. The 40s offer a flat, precise playback with less than astounding bass. The 50s offer over-equalised, excellent quality bass (which does not necessarily mean they are superior; in specific respects).

Bass:
The downfall of an otherwise perfect headphone. Understandable and forgivable due to price limitations. The bass is of excellent quality, yet lacks the driver size required to properly offer a powerful and distinguishable tone. Extremely (note, extremely) heavy bass will become noisy and distorted; which is highly irritating. The M50X will take the same bass tones and deliver them free of noise and distortion.

The bass as a whole is very good, and will impress anyone. It offers decent strength; and is undoubtedly an inspiration to other creators for what should be bass quality at low price. Does not match the fidelity of the ATH M50X.

Mid (Normals, AKA Vocals) Tones:
Of excellent quality. Slight noise impairment is noticed at all levels by my ear, yet this is to be disregarded as the quality of playback equipment may not have been sufficient - however, if you use a smartphone or average on board motherboard audio, you may hear noise disruption of the signal here.

The quality of these frequencies is close enough to those of the ATH M50X so that I could consider them equal. They once again, surpass the quality expected of such a price point.

Treble (Naturals, highs):
Exemplary. They excel in quality here more than one would expect from headphones at a price point more than double this product. Clear and more than simply crisp: as if existent. The quality is unprecedented at this price point, and the next for these tones (similarly, the Mids are excellent (not to the same scale, however)). I can imagine that this frequency is the clearest possible for this price point.

EQ:
This is down to personal preference. These are flat.

Note that "flat" does NOT mean that the bass is nonexistent, but rather natural in strength - so it has a relatively strong "push" and the vibrations are not tangible.

These headphones do an exceptional job at being flat but not studio. Seeing as EQ is such a subjective statistic, I can not comment further.

I recommend these for:
GAMING - QUIET (footsteps, ambience) 10/10
GAMING - BASIC (master sounds, primary FX) 10/10
GAMING - MUSIC (music, tracks, background feel) 8/10 (due to distortions in bass, personal preference)
MUSIC: Heavier bass tracks or Treble/Mid based tracks. Otherwise, M50X may offer a personal preference. (personal preference) Extreme bass not recommended at all.
MIXING: Not recommended. Instead, get Studio Headphones.
RECORDING MUSIC: Not recommended. Instead, get Studio Headphones.
on 6 May 2016
The M40X produces a beautifully clean sound in comparison to other "budget" on-ears and over-ears. While the M40X has spent most of its life in the M50X's shadow, I believe that it is a much more well-rounded package than its bigger and more expensive brother; its sound is nicely neutral, while the M50X features quite a bit more bass (which conjures up unpleasant memories of bass-optimized Logitech and Beats headphones). For 80 pounds, these cans are of great value.

They do have slightly more "clamp" than the M30X as well as a headband that does not curve quite as well around the top of your head (it tends to sit flat), but I have had no problems with comfort despite my massive ears. The construction is very durable as well; the adjustable portion that is usually considered a weakspot in other headphones feels tough and substantial in the M40X despite the absence of extra reinforcement.