on 27 March 2015
This took me 4 hours to build on my own. One of the doors has a dent but not so bad I would return it. It looks good, I liked that the majority of screws were same. Instructions for connecting gas were more tricky as it wasn't obvious where it connected because of the side ring. Especially like the locking castors which made it easy to move around. It was a 60th birthday present and a great success. VFM
review image review image
on 22 September 2014
It took 2of us to put it together, but the instructions were fairly clear. I had to take a hammer to the door to get it to fit sadly! It's main design fault is that you cannot use the rotisserie AND the side burner together as the rotisserie rod is too long. I have put another bracket for the motor on the shelf to the left so the rod does not sit over the burner. I bought Typhoon griddles to go over the burners as I got a lot of fat burning despite the 'roofs' over the burners. Nearly set the window cill alight once! Heats up quickly with the lid down, and cooks pizza brilliantly with a stone. I am pleased with it, despite the rotisserie issue, but that has lowered my star rating. Perhaps it could come with another bracket?
on 29 April 2016
With an antipodean background, barbecuing is an essential life skill, and even though we never threw "another prawn on the Barbie" we got pretty adept at cooking sausages on a bit of corrugated roofing iron over a driftwood fire by our local river swimming hole. After moving to the UK it very quickly became apparent that most of the requirements for my traditional BBQ were not readily available i.e. a boulder strewn river bed, driftwood or clean corrugated iron...

Having tried several different styles of BBQ over the years, we recently discovered this own from Marco Phillippe. It is obviously a lot more sophisticated than cooking bangers over driftwood, but then, I too have become more adventurous (my wife would challenge any claim to "more sophisticated").

However, first I had to assemble the BBQ. This turned out to be very straight forward except for just one feature - there was no mention of the main gas inlet in the pictorial assembly instructions, and it was only after a close examination that the gas hose connecter was discovered inside the left hand end of the control panel, necessitating a partial disassembly to connect the hose. That aside everything else went together within a couple of hours and we now have a BBQ that is the envy of the neighbourhood:-
Four grill burners to cater for the largest party,
A rotisserie for those chickens or joints of meat,
A side burner for that pot of potatoes or extra veg.,
and, most importantly, a large hood allowing you to oven bake many foods.
Oh, and I almost forgot, it runs happily on gas (quite a variety of gases depending on what is available in your area)

So, how does it work? Sadly, that's where the British weather let us down - once the summer gets under way properly then we barbecue in almost any conditions, rain or shine, but we do turn our noses up at snow, so for the time being we'll have to wait a little while before I can comment on how it cooks.

(to be continued)
(as promised...)

Now that we've had a few warmish days, just how does the BBQ work?
We run it on the blue Calor Gas 15kgm butane bottles with appropriate regulator and find it works very well, heating up fast prior to cooking, and with a very even heat across the full cooking area. For grilling meats etc., I tend to put the food over burners 3 & 4 and then turn them down to lower flame, leaving burners 1 & 2 on high. With the lid closed this allows heat to circulate, cooking meat quickly and thoroughly, combining oven and grilling features together.

So, would I raise my star rating or recommend this BBQ to others? Certainly I'd recommend it with a couple of reservations:-
1. We tend to accompany bbq'ing with salads, so haven't felt any need to use the side burner intended for a saucepan.
2. I have not, so far, managed to get the rotisserie burner to light, although haven't discovered any fault with it - the gas supply to it just seems to be piped generally around the back but with no obvious reason for it to pass through the grid to be ignited and heat the burner.

I have previously owned several models made by "Outback" which have all tended to work well although when they changed to manufacture in China the longevity of the BBQ suffered. Although also made in China, this Marco Phillippe model seems much better quality and it certainly cooks as well as, if not better than, the Outback bbq's. Great value for money. I'd certainly buy again (although I hope not for some time!).
on 18 June 2015
Excellent value. The rotisserie with the back burner on the bbq works a treat.
A little difficulty fitting together as one side panel was a bit dented, how I don't know as this is made of good solid metal, and once built is very rigid.
Was a bit wary as this was a pre-order, but arrived earlier than I expected. Would definitely reccommend.
on 4 January 2016
Fantastic value for money. A little quirky to assemble, back burner is a bit fierce, ok for crisping but don't leave it on too long. The burners themselves are a little cool, drop the grills to a lower position. Having said all that, you won't find a BBQ of this spec anywhere else at this price.
on 9 September 2014
Superb. Arrived on time. Easy to build (most are not). Solid and looks great. Can't fault it.
on 6 May 2016
Lovely, no dents or scratches, and fairly easy to build, one draw back in my opinion is the gas hose to the regulator is quite small, it be much better if this was about a 1.5 meters to allow you to place the gas bottle further away from the BBQ
on 21 September 2014
Very happy with it. It cooks brilliantly.
on 28 July 2015
Cracking barbecue this one . The rotisserie work well with it well pleased
on 26 July 2015
super BBQ, back burner is superb. Whole chicken cooked to perfect succulence with crispy outside faster than a gas or electric oven. Good looking machine and good quality parts. Easy to assemble with a little 'nouse'. Absolutely delighted.