Format: DVDChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 March 2014
Oh, no! Is this really the final series? There is so much mileage left in it! The final episode seems to suggest that it is ending, but I am consoled by having read that the BBC has commissioned a fourth series to be shown in 2015. Phew- thank goodness!!
The nuns find themselves in new and better accommodation and the private lives of the midwives develop movingly as Jenny Lee recovers from her bereavement and finds new love, Chummy loses her mother and finds herself, Trixie loses her heart and Shelagh and Patrick Turner finally achieve a family. (I have to admit to finding Shelagh and Patrick a tiny bit wet).
I was amused by the review suggesting using the dvd as a coaster, because I know a few men who find the childbirth aspect of the series distressing and have to leave the room. My pre-teen grandkids of both genders, on the other hand, take it all in their stride and are addicted to the programme. It is one of the best ever made by the BBC, in my opinion, and its popularity is richly deserved.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2014
Series 3 is again proving to be a great success and a joy to watch. Great Sunday night viewing without the need for the usual array of bad language and violence.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 May 2014
Once again we are invited into the lives of the Midwives who served the people of the East End of London in the 1950s. And as we follow these wonderful women to the homes of expectant mums we enter a realm that tugs at our heart strings and causes torrents of tears. We visit Mums who live in direst poverty with limited amenities, little food yet are filled with cheerfulness and optimism.
We battle on with them through struggles and strife and share their joy as a new life is brought into the world. Their stoicism when faced with disaster their acceptance of conditions that are unthinkable today is admirable.They have this attitude of shrugging things off and simply 'get on with it'. As for the midwives, I adore them absolutely. Gathered from different class structures and backgrounds their upbringings were totally different from the women they serve. But they cope with the dirty beds, the filthy tenements and often abusive partners to deliver their babies with much love and sympathy. The midwives provided a much needed service to most of the women of the East End who before their arrival had their babies without medical help.
Please keep making more series.
on 20 June 2014
Living in the USA, I could not wait, so I pre-ordered Series 3. This program touches heart in a very different way than most TV programming. The stories are drawn from real life experiences of what women went through giving birth in the East End of London during the 50's. It shares the struggles, the challenges, the hopes and the lives of real people (names changed of course). Her frankness about birth and death are real. The author, Jennifer Worth, wrote a compelling best seller. So sad to realize Jennifer did not live to see this extraordinary TV program.

Will be interesting to see how they continue story line development after the departure of Jessica Raines who played the lead character. They have a very strong cast (Pam Ferris, Jenny Agutter, Miranda Hart, Helen George, Judy Parfitt, Bryony Hannah, Laura Main, Stephen McGann, Cliff Parisi, etc.). I am trusting that this quality production will continue to excel.
on 25 May 2014
This item arrived punctually and as described by seller. I have thoroughly enjoyed the show and have watched all the available seasons. The acting is superb: everyone is good, but the cast had a head start as it includes Jenny Aguter and Miranda Hart. Each character has it's day and you will fall in love with them all. The action is set in a convent where nuns, nurses and midwives support a community in the East end of London. It's based on the diary of a real midwife, who is touchingly played by Jessica Raine. Vanessa Redgrave narrates the memoires, lending the narrative depth and gravitas. Each episode contains at least one gripping story. It's supposed to be suitable for"twelve years and over" although I would say it's suitable for anyone who can endure graphic sights and sounds of childbirth, which arrise frequently and may be more difficult for men than children. A charming, funny and sometimes tragic romp.
on 24 April 2014
Every member of a minute english-speaking community (there's just 5 of us) are have become addicted to this wonderful series.
Actually, our TV-evenings are much like they used to be back in the late 60's and early 70's when only a single person on the block had a TV-set and everyone would drop in to watch. What else is to be said about the Calling the Midwife? We just want to express our appreciation of a series absolutely perfectly made - starting with the research of that particular time in history, the props, the actors/actresses - perfectly chosen - every role is filled with life by just the right person. We are all extremely sad that Jessica Raine is leaving the "Midwives" but still ecstatic that the show will still go on for at another season. Sadly, all good things must come to an end, I suppose. Recommended highly ba all 5 ex-Pats plus foreigners! There's no better way to spend a great evening!
on 21 June 2014
Never having been interested in midwives, hospital dramas or doctor romance, I really took a gamble buying the first series without having seen more than a YouTube preview. The reviews and passionate fan base persuaded me to risk my money, but now I am into my third box set and would recommend this to anyone. It's a very special series, from the first moments you hear the narrator's voice, to the extraordinary scenes with Miranda Hart delivering babies. I found it hard to get through without crying, but it's mostly just the best, life-affirming, fascinating, spirits-restoring drama you've probably seen for years. Jenny Agutter sets a very high bar.
on 4 August 2014
This long-anticipated third series exceeded my greatest expectations... it is wonderful, and far beyond a five star rating!

'Call the Midwife evenings' have become a weekly highlight for three generations of nurses and midwives in my family, and Series 3 was a delight. The story weaves together every precious thread of human experience, from the depths to the glorious heights. Joy, peace, and the reason for living are discovered even through the deepest sorrow. This depiction of life in the East End of the '50s throbs with reality.

We can't wait for Series 4! :-)
on 16 November 2014
Waiting for the last series, the Dvd is on its way. Never dreamed that my husband would enjoy this as it is mostly about birth and babies but he loves it. It is so human, the characters are so real and heartwarming, It gives an excellent impression of the east End in the fifties. It also shows that how poor the people might be, there was so much quality to their lives and the world was such a better place with real normal people and familylife.
This series is a big suprise, one of the best I have seen. Look forward to the third one and may the BBC continue with it.
on 28 April 2014
This excellent series continues on this complete third season set of 4 DVDs. This set is the complete 3rd season, including the second Christmas special (2013).
DVD1:Christmas Special;