on 31 October 2014
OK, so I've lived in Japan and visited Korea, where a home is a likely to be without a rice cooker as it is to be without a bathroom. Rice cookers are a way of life in the Far East. But even the smallest ones I could ever find, have a capacity of 6 portions. That makes sense for a family, but if you live on your own ... ?

In the UK, you can get Western made rice cookers, but they generally are more clunky, less high tech and not up to the Japanese standard. So my expectations were low for this rice cooker. But in reality, its really great.

This rice cooker is really tiny. Its actually freed off part of my worktop. Its the size I've always wanted. It cooks from 1 to 3 portions, where a portion (1 cup) is what an average (non-teenager/sportsman) would eat with their fish/meat. So that's perfect for me, even if I have someone round for a meal. It feels right to use a device this small to cook rice for just one person. I've consigned my big rice cooker to the store room. I'll dig it out again when I'm married with two kids :-)

This device also cooks the rice nicely. I think its as good as my expensive Japanese one. It doesn't have the extra options those cookers had, but I rarely used them anyway. Also, I've a feeling its a few minutes quicker than the bigger ones - well that would make sense, since it has less empty space to heat up. (BTW, I also always fill up with boiling water to shorten the cooking time).

I am very happy with this item.
on 12 March 2015
As a single guy, with a hectic schedule, the Judge Mini Rice Cooker is just perfect. THe instructiona are very clear. You put one 'cup' of rice in it (little plastic measuring cup provided), and then you fill the inner 'pot' up the the level indicated on its inside with water (I was surprised how much water you need), and then switch it on. The little yellow light (which means 'keeping warm') turns red, and it is cooking.

White basmati takes about 15 minutes, I discovered that brown rice takes over 50 minutes. It took so long that I thought it had broken. Just turns out that brown rice takes a lot longer! Now I just make white basmati.

When it has finished 'cooking', the red light goes off and turns yellow. Apparently this can keep your rice warm for up to six hours, but have never left it that long. It suggests that you leave it another 15 minutes more, but I dont do that either. You then unclip the lid and use the provided little plastic 'spoon' to dish up the rice. I usually add it to a microwaved curry or something.

You can easily dismantle all the parts and wash them up and I just leave it on teh draining board for the next cook.

Sometimes I have a portion left over and I just keep that for a meal later the next day. You can adjust how much you make, but it's great for 1-2 persons and you are not forced to make a massive amount like others, which a guess cater for families.

Not cheap, but would buy again.
on 17 August 2015
Having seen so many positive reviews on this mini rice cooker, I bought one for myself since I'm living alone and do not require a big rice cooker. I'm very happy with it!
To start with the size: it takes up little space on my not so spacious counter, which is perfect! The inner bowl is light, and after a week of using it, I have not had any rice stuck on it when washing. The rice do however, get a little brown when it's cooked, not sure if it's because it takes too long before it clicks (finished cooking) even with the correct measurements and water ratio.

The instructions and markings on the inner pot confused me for a bit as it marks the water level based on half a cup instead of a whole cup per line - this caused me to initially think the provided rice cup was half the size of a normal rice cup, and it does not mark the rice level in comparison to the water level, so you have to figure out the ratio based on the rice cup provided, which cracked after one use for some reason.

Another flaw it has is the design of the cooker; the bottom of the heat plate goes directly into the wiring area, and when some rice fell into the cooker when the inner pot wasn't on top, it took me an hour of tilting and rotating the cooker to get every last grain of rice out of the cooker as I was afraid it would burn if I left it in there, which could've killed it all. Not sure if this has anything to do with the rice grains that fell in, but the rice cooker does emit a slight burning smell when it's cooking, but not very bad, and it has not caused any trouble with the rice cooker so far.

Aside from the trouble I ran into mentioned above, it cooks great, and quite fast compared to others I've used in the past since it is a lot smaller than your average rice cooker; 1 cup of rice took about 15-20 minutes to cook. It's easy to clean as it only takes a bit of scrubbing the inner lid and inner pot, it's easy to store, and it's most definitely worth the price!
on 10 February 2015
Excellent small rice cooker that can cook as little as 1/2 cup perfectly. Have tried others in the past - mainly from India that have been poor with water splattering all over the worktop and rice burning at the bottom. The Judge Mini Rice Cooker has a lid that clips in place and so there is no splattering. Very good non stick lining of the bowl makes it easy to clean.
My only criticism is of the instruction book. After a few uses there was rice starch under the gasket in the lid - removed it to clean but struggled to get it back in place - the instruction book was of no help. Phoned the manufactures customer services and a very helpful lady suggested softening the gasket with hot water. Before trying this I discovered that there is a detachable plastic ring in the lid which allows you to remove and replace the gasket with ease!! No mention of this in the instruction book.
All in all I am very pleased with my purchase and will certainly recommend it to anybody who needs to cook small quantities of rice.
on 22 December 2014
Excellent little rice cooker suitable for 1 or 2 people. Most rice cookers have a minimum of 1-2 cups of rice but this one allows you to cook half a cup which is great for me as that is more than enough and I don't like eating reheated rice.

I had bought one of these in HK not of the same brand but of a very simple look. This one has a much better build quality and comes with a small rice measuring cup and a rice paddle.

I have used it a couple of times a week for the past few weeks and is has been easy to use.
on 4 August 2015
Got my cooker today and I couldn't believe how compact it was! I cooked a mixture of white and brown rice for dinner and it came out perfectly. Totally effortless. The portion (just over a normal measuring cup) is ideal for my household and it takes no space on the kitchen counter. It's smaller than my toaster. I would highly recommend it if you're after a small rice cooker.
on 15 September 2015
This has been amazing. It has made making sushi so much easier, there is no messy rice water spilling out of a pan onto the hob top just perfect rice every single time and so incredibly easy to use! All you do is measure the rice out with the cup, put it into the non-stick bowl, add water up to the fill line, fasten the lid in place and click the button onto 'cook' and the rice is done in about 15 minutes and continued to kept warm if you don't want it that soon.
The size is perfect too as usually I am the only one who needs it to make sushi rolls but last night I used it to make brown rice with dinner for myself and my partner and he was so impressed with how easy it is to use and the quality of the rice when cooked!
I would say at most this cooks rice for four people. Ideal size for one single person or a couple.
Well worth the money!
on 14 January 2015
This is a very good size for cooking 1-2 portions of rice. It takes up much less space than my larger rice cooker and doesn't burn the rice at the bottom of the pan. Build quality also feels much better than my larger (Crockpot) version.
on 21 September 2015
It's tiny and really simple and is exactly what is needed in my one-person home with the occasional visitor. Cooks with no mess and easy to clean. It is also low wattage, which is ideal for my home (a narrowboat). So good and simple I am probably going to buy one for my 90-year old mum! Cooked my Basmati to perfection. Now I am going to experiment with other rices, including cooking with "extras" like some onion, etc. Can't go wrong!
on 30 May 2015
A fantastic tiny little rice cooker. We travel around a lot so we needed something that is easily stored and transported. Perfect average sized portions for 1 person x2, or 2 people x1. I have to be honest, if you need more than half of the internal bowl when cooked to capacity at 1.5 cups of dry rice then you are probably eating too much. Takes about 20 to 25 mins to cook a full batch, no burning, no stickiness.