Format: Audio CDChange

on 28 March 2014
After the disappointment of Elegant Stealth I wasn't in any rush to get Blue Horizon. I succumbed and was immediately impressed with the standard of the songs. Elegant Stealth wasn't a bad album, just uninspiring. This one is far superior and would get 5 stars if the guitars wailed a bit longer! Just like the Allmans, I prefer Ash live with their 15 minute pluse renditions, but as studio albums go, this is pretty damned good!
After several plays, it became obvious to me that Way Down South was the standout track. I would go as far as to say it's the best number Ash have written since their classic 70's albums. The guitar solo at the end is gorgeously sublime, and sends shivers down my back. ASH ARE BACK!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
.. well thats how it felt,it took so long for the disc to reach me,was it worth the wait,definitely,its a great album,the first thing that catches the eye is the quite striking cover on the digi pak.

The music well unlike say Magnum's fist pumping rock on their recent release,this is more laid back,like an old pair of comfy slippers,an easy fit just sit back and let the music wash over you.

Having spent the last few albums stating that they are as far removed from ARGUS as you can get,then its with much irony that opening track 'Take It Back' immediately reminds me of that disc.

The likes of 'Deep Blues/Way Down South & Mary Jane,keep a smile on my face and my foot tapping,excellent stuff.

Favourite tracks - the title track's laid back class and the folky feel of album closer 'All there is to Say'.

There are some great individual performances on here,yes its laid back and the 'rock' days are long gone but its still worth purchasing for some genuine class music.
on 28 March 2014
I went to see these in Oct 2012, billed as the Elegant Stealth Tour; although they only played a handful of songs from the album they were brilliant.

I've had a good listen to this latest release from Wishbone Ash and noted some of the comments from some reviews, but no way is this better than Elegant Stealth, ES to me is the modern Argus, every album the band makes from now on has to stand up to ES, (depending on how long Andy can keep going of course) and in my opinion this doesn't.

Don't get me wrong I really like Blue Horizon, `deep blue' & `way down south' being my favourite tracks, excellent guitar work from Andy & Muddy as usual and great backing by Bob & Joe, but the guitars on ES are much more in unison and solo's a bit longer, all the other tracks on the BH album are a mixture of jazz, rock, folk, blues.

How many tracks would I take off Blue Horizon and put on ES, the answer 2. How many tracks would I take off ES and put on BH, the answer an easy 6.
I really like this latest release but it's not as good as ES so it's 4 stars for me.

I'm just glad the band is producing great music and hope they keep it up, how many modern bands today release one good album after another like WA, keep it up boys can't wait for the next release, I hope I have the same issue next time deciding which is the best album!!!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 April 2014
For me, this is the best Wishbone CD in quite a few years. Elegant Stealth was good but Blue Horizon totally blows that away. For me there isn't a bad track on the album and I'm constantly impressed by the great musicianship displayed throughout. Favourite tracks are Take It Back, Deep Blues, Way Down South, Tally Ho and American Century. There's a great depth to the playing and each time I play this album I hear something new. My overall favourite track is way Down South - which has a very catchy first section and an amazing second section starting after 4 minutes. If I'm in the car, the sound level gets cranked right up for the second half of totally brilliant soaring guitar work and driving bass. Magnificent.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 April 2014
So yet another album from W.A. For a fan of the band to give this very good album 1 star is bewildering to say the least. Can't really give it 5 stars as it isn't as good as Argus. However it is their best album for some time & a great guitar rock/folk/prog album. The tunes are better than Elegant Stealth & the opening track 'Take It Back' is a truly memorable song. If you like guitars & you aren't bothered about liking cool & trendy bands then this album is for you.
on 16 March 2014
I had to cancel the order with Amazon as they did NOT have it in stock. Got it somewhere else eventually. I think 5 stars is reserved for the best albums, classics, and that takes time to realise, but 4 is certainly a good album. It's a real mix of their styles from over the years. The first listening I was a BIT disappointed after the raving reviews as I thought it might rock-out a bit more, but now I am enjoying it for what it is which quite classy. Lots of fluid guitar playing though not extended enough. Elegant Stealth finally gave us some twin-guitar workouts, which the band MUST have known we wanted, so I thought that would have continued more on this one. Anyway, a nice CD, and certainly better than Clan Destiny and the one before. Both pleasant enough, but this is better. Worth noting that Andy Powell actually only gets MUSIC credit for ONE track on the whole album, which is a bit worrying....

Now mid-June and I am enjoying it even more. Maybe 2-3 tracks not that essential, but mostly very classy. No - not Argus but better than some late 70's / early 80's albums. Martin may have been a vital contributor on the first few albums, but not his last 2. Maybe he will return with some new stuff. I hope so. In the meantime, whether this is Wishbone Ash in name only, it could only be that band when you hear it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I was really into Ash as a teenager , but for some reason after the superb just testing I stopped buying there albums . Silly me . I am now 54 and recently divorced and I am kinda rediscovering my rock roots . I purchased Clan destiny a few months back and was mightily impressed with that offering so much so I decided to purchase Elegant Stealth and Blue Horizon . I have to say that Clann Destiny and Elegant Stealth are good albums but Blue Horizon is a great album , up there with Argus in my humble opinion , it manages to sound like 70 s Ash and be innovative at the same time . Every time I play it I have a different favourite track although I just can't get the riff of, all I have to say out of my mind . Awesome music from an awesome band .
on 14 May 2014
This has to be the best ash album since there's the rub. It's all here! Great riffs, extended solos in several tracks some with twin guitars. Never the greatest vocals but not at all bad.

Elegant stealth was in and back out of the car within days but this is still there several weeks later. If you like wishbone ash you should like this. Looking forward to seeing them live and hope they play a few of these songs.
on 5 May 2014
This is a great disc. I was lucky enough heard them play some of the tracks in the making at the afternoon session of Ashcon 2013, they do not disappoint on disc either. Blue Horizon is a real stormer. I look forward to seeing and hearing them extend some of these live on stage later this year. Keep on rockin!
on 24 April 2014
Wishbone Ash are still out there and performing classic rock with a twin lead guitar sound. They are the masters. All tracks are good but the opener and last 2 are classics in the making.