Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Refreshed in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop Now Shop now

Format: Kindle EditionChange

on 24 January 2014
Until recently,I had never used any Mac equipment. With much trepidation, I purchased a MacBook Pro 13.3 with Mavericks. At 73 years of age, I knew that it would be a slow process learning even the basics. I attended a few one-to-one sessions with Apple staff, but to be honest, I was struggling. Then I saw the OS X Mavericks "the missing manual" advertised on Amazon, and ordered it immediately.Since receiving my copy, I can honestly say that it has totally changed my outlook. I now know that I can instantly find out how to do almost anything that I need to do with this wonderful book. Because of my age, I cannot retain things in my mind for as long as I used to. With this book though, I can easily go back to previous subjects and refresh my memory, and also use it as a reference point. I would thoroughly recommend this book to people of all ages. If I can learn from it, anyone can.
on 3 January 2014
"OS X Mavericks: The Missing Manual" written by David Pogue is latest edition in "Missing Manual" series that provide excellent and detailed information for all applications and devices that had the good fortune these unofficial guides been issued for their usage.

OS X Mavericks being 10th major update of Apple's Unix-based operating system is the software you cannot purchase on DVD/CD or flash drive - you have only possibility to download it.
This means that the user won't get any printed instructions for its usage, except those you can download (and then print) from the vendor website that describe some of the basic functionalities; or you can turn to help system that lacks examples and any kind of tutorials.
And it's precisely in these areas Missing Manual series of books shines, unburdened by the pressure of information that have to be written in official manuals, offering countless examples, tutorials and how-to tips.

OS X Mavericks MM is intended for those users who are already familiar with OS X operating system on intermediate level, though those who are beginners can also use it thanks to small sidebar articles "Up to Speed" that offers great advices for novice users due to which they'll soon cease to feel like rookies.
If you're seasoned Mac user, there is no need to worry because you can also find it helpful due to similar articles called "Power Users' Clinic" that offer advanced tricks, helpful technical tips and many shortcuts that facilitate your work.

The author divided manual for this great OS in six major chapters:
- first chapter discusses about OS X desktop and all the things you can see on your screen when computer with OS X is turned on
- second chapter theme are the applications of all types you can use on OS X among other things, providing information about their opening, switching and swapping data between them, usage of AppleScript and Automator automation tools, even how to run Windows on your Mac
- third chapter is about the components that make OS X discussing more than 30 System Preferences panels and more than 50 applications in App/Utility folders
- fourth chapter speaks about a bit advanced themes, like networking, screen and file sharing - in few words, everything due to which is Apple father of multitasking and role model that is still unequaled in this area
- fifth chapter speaks about online capabilities of OS X, mostly about Safari browser and Mail application, but also about iCloud services and many ways and protocols of sharing information over the Internet
- final, six chapter speaks about troubleshooting, installation and great list of keyboard shortcuts that would be especially helpful for all those old-school computer experts which for more than 20 years are not separating from their keyboards

David Pogue's "OS X Mavericks" is another great title in "Missing Manual" series, a well-made unofficial guide that offers great examples, walkthroughs, useful tips and behind-the-screen tricks - due to that I can fully recommend it to anyone as a first choice for OS X manual.
on 18 April 2014
Recently had a mid life crisis and changed all by computers from PC to Mac (couldn't afford Porsche ) I was disappointed with the iMac couldn't see what everyone was raving about until I read this book now the capability of a mac and the advantages of the mac obvious. Wouldn't buy a PC again. Why don't apple supply a manual like this with the product? Thousands must buy a mac and wonder why they have if they haven't read this book. Excellent guide
on 12 May 2014
I usually resist the offer to review something, but this is special; in fact it's the bee's knees. At 860 odd pages you aren't going to read it cover to cover, but if you dip into it you immediately discover some nugget or other - it never occurred to me to have dual monitors with a different window open in each and the mouse moving seamlessly across both, until I read that I could. I picked up a second monitor on eBay for £5, and Bingo!
And when I think, There must be a way of doing that?, I look it up and the answer is there, every time.
I am on my first Mac, and it's not all as intuitive as they like to lead you to believe; but with this book all becomes plain sailing.
I looked at other Mavericks manuals in Waterstones, and concluded that wouldn't really help me, and certainly weren't worth the price. But this book is a bargain.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 6 August 2014
[later note: the new OS X Yosemite is out soon.]

Thorough, easy to understand, now I can get started on my new Apple MacBook Pro quadcore 2.5ghz!

Due to recent a burglary in which I lost my precious PC, have at long last made the jump to Apple and my first impressions are: wow! and why did I wait so long.

Having started to play with my new toy I was anxiously awaiting guidance about all the new jargon, where things go when you click on them, how to download, and more. A quick glance at this book shows that this offers everything I'll need to know to get up and running.

Having an Ipad has helped too, and one of the first things I noticed is this book shows how the current OS goes a long way to merge the old OS with the Ipad.
on 3 May 2014
One of the best investments I've made since owning macs, is David Pogue's OS X Mavericks: The Missing Manual. Pogue knows what he's talking about AND he writes about technical stuff in a way that's easy to absorb.

I also read his Switching to the Mac book, way back, and I recommend it to anyone who is switching from Windows to Mac.
on 22 January 2014
The Missing Manual does answer pretty well every question you might have (I have a whole bookshelf full of those green books).
on 27 October 2014
This guy obviously knows a lot, the problem is, he assumes you do too. He explains some things clearly and then changes the subject before getting to the bit you were really looking for. I found the book to be both repetitive and disjointed I had to go from one place to another and another in order to get the information I wanted. I am sure that all the information is there it just needs to be structured far better. I know that a lot of books about software are released in a rush as soon as the software comes out. A book like this could really do with being tested in a "beta" format by people of differing levels of computer competence in order to make it more user friendly.
on 23 April 2014
Whatever next? A manual telling you how to do stuff on a computer ? What can the world be coming to? Well, forget intuitive the way forward is having a framework to go by to learn to be intuitive. What else? We are not all super computers after all.
OSX is brilliant. It works. I don't get stupid messages telling me to update, restart, sign off, cut my hair or whatever. It just works and if you get stuck you can find out why pretty easily.

Give up on Windows? Too right! W7 was ok but now you can't buy IT because MS want you to buy into their Brave New World and get W8≥
Go Mac. Go Maverick. Go in peace!
on 4 June 2014
This is the fifth Missing Manual I've purchased over the years of upgrading computers and it doesn't disappoint. 860 pages of information in mind-boggling detail, all written in a dryly humorous style and with absolute clarity. Apple certainly should have provided it in the box, as the strap line points out - who would purchase a car or a washing machine without a manual? Apple's own online help is terse, unwelcoming and often frustratingly opaque. Why not five stars for the Manual? I would have liked more information on iTunes, iPhoto, Word, etc., which are either free with the software or are usually purchased at the same time time as Mavericks, and fewer lists of how to perform the same operation in five different ways, using different keystroke combinations, which is not what most users will bother to fathom. But it is the Maverick Bible.