on 23 June 2014
I'm going to attempt to review this monitor by answering the questions I had when contemplating buying it myself.

I needed a monitor that would:

- Offer a better experience for photo-editing than my previous (TN-Panel) monitor (colour accuracy, etc)
- Had generous viewing angles as I intended to have a multiple-monitor setup
- Offered a usable (lag/blur/motion/ghosting-free) experience for gaming
- A good stand or VESA mount options

Photography:

I read review after review of this and other monitors and ended up drowning somewhat in the sheer number of different criteria that need to be considered when buying monitors. Things, in truth, I still can't even pretend to understand with any real depth (gamut, contrast stability etc. etc.). In the end I trusted the review from TFT Central - which was very good for this monitor - for the technical bits and was essentially sold as far as the Photography aspect was concerned, but still had concerns over gaming.

I'd recommend the TFT Central review for anyone more knowledgeable with what to expect from a monitor they intend to use for photography. All I can really offer is that photos look noticeably better than on my previous monitor. Colours look vivid and sharp and these monitors do come factory calibrated (note: you need to manually change the preset to sRGB to access the factory calibration). Despicable Me looks very impressive and shows off the colours nicely! Whites look.. white. Blacks look.. as black as I'd expect. I can't say I've noticed any IPS glow, but I believe this is most visible when sitting in a completely dark room, which I don't tend to do.

There were a number of negative reviews of the Dell U2412m recently discussing a yellow-tint issue and I remember seeing one or two mention a similar issue when talking about the U2414h. I'm pleased to say that I haven't noticed any such issue. I'm also pleased to report that there is not a dead-pixel in sight and I bought three of these.

Gaming:

To qualify everything I'm about to say, I would not regard myself as a serious gamer. I spend a lot of time playing games but I don't play in serious competition and don't play many multiplayer FPS titles either. I do play racing games (The Grid series, especially) online and many single-player first-person games. I have never used a 120hz monitor, however my previous (60hz) monitor was rated at 2ms response time, which is probably about average/good for gaming monitors. I did therefore have concerns for gaming when moving to 8ms response time of the U2414h. If you drop into threads on gaming/hardware forums discussing monitors you will see response time figures banded around regularly and broadly speaking refresh rates and response-times are the law. Higher refresh rates and lower response times win. Simple as that. So if, like me, you've already decided on an IPS-panel, then these forums can be a frustrating place to be.

So it is with great delight that I can say I have noticed zero difference in terms of motion blur or 'ghosting' effects moving from my 8ms response time monitor vs my old 2ms response time monitor. My old monitor might have been a lie. Maybe it's not noticeable in the games I've played. Maybe I just can't tell the difference. Regardless, for me, games have only became more enjoyable as the colour accuracy is now better and I have the option for nVidia surround.

Display port:

You may have noticed the lack of criticism so far, mostly as now the monitors are up and running I'm yet to have any real complaints. Getting them set up, though, was a little trickier:

It's easy to say display port is terrible on this monitor and, from my experience, it is, but I don't know for sure whether this is a Dell issue or an nVidia issue. All I know is that I could not get it to work, particularly when trying to Daisy Chain the monitors. I suspect that there is blame on both sides and with nVidia cards being quite common I guess "who's at fault" is irrelevant if there are other monitors out there that simply don't have the issues. I've docked a star for the display port issues but if Display Port does not concern you (I use HDMI instead) then this would be 5 stars all the way.

General Design/Build Quality:

In a word, brilliant. The bezels on this monitor are fantastic, placing side-by-side, the combined width of two bezels is less than that from one of my previous monitors. They look superb in nVidia surround and I presume they would in Eyefinity as well. The monitor stand is surprisingly solid and very easy to adjust and I think there is an option to VESA mount the monitors if needed (Though I think you need a special 'VESA mount kit' from Dell to do this. Tut tut, Dell).

A (very) minor complaint is that I found it quite awkward to plug display-port/hdmi cables into the monitor once it was on the stand. I found it a bit easier by tilting the monitor backwards to give myself a bit more room but it was still awkward. The stand can be swivelled and allows for the monitor to be moved into portrait mode, I haven't really used either since setting them up but these features seemed to function as well as you'd expect.

The absence of DVI inputs, particularly given the Display Port issues, is an issue. I had to buy two DVI to HDMI cables. Not particularly expensive but inconvenient nonetheless.

Summary:

If you're looking for a monitor that is a step-up from a TN-panel for photo-editing/other colour work, happy to play on a 60hz monitor for gaming and have no major affinity for Display Port then I would recommend these completely. Hope this can help people who were on the fence as I was!
99 comments55 of 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 March 2014
This is the first time I have bought a monitor. In the past I have made do with a TV monitor. Not good. Now that I have space to work, I decided to take the plunge and get a proper monitor. After doing a fair amount of research (not just googling "best monitor for a mac") I decided on Dell, in particularly U2414H. This monitor covers everything I need:

- 2 HDMI ports
- 2 Display ports (1 of these being a mini port too) I'm on a Macbook with a thunderbolt connection, mini-display cable plugs in and works, no need for an adapter.
- 4 port USB hub
- 1920 x 1080p (perfect as I'm work in video)
- IPS
- Great colour control
- Screen size = Large 24inch
- Bezel = Tiny

There is so many great things about the monitor, I even connected my ps3, so I no longer need a TV. Perfect, more space.

2 things you should note:

- This monitor doesn't come with internal speaker. Don't be disappointed, I wasn't, as internal speakers are normally rubbish. Dell sell speakers for this monitor, AC511, which I have ordered. If they're any good I'll add my review for that product here as well.

- It was a little confusing to get it working, be patient. I had to fiddle around with the cables until it magically linked up. If you're on a mac, don't bother with the disc either. All it has is win drivers and what not. I haven't had to download any drivers to get it working on my mac, which is ace.

This is a great monitor and I would recommend it to any one on a mac who doesn't want to shell out for the thunderbolt display. To me, this is just as good and saves me a bundle! I will update my review if I have any problems.
44 comments59 of 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 January 2014
Have just received this monitor in the last few days. First impressions are excellent, the monitor is beautiful, the bezels are tiny, the colours are fantastic.

Being IPS the viewing angles are fantastic but there is a slight glow.

On first setting it up I dropped brightness significantly as by default for me it was too bright, but the response is nice and linear and the colours didn't change so this was no problem. I'm using the factory-calibrated mode as it looks best to me, much better than other IPS panels I've used. Compared with a wide gamut screen I use it holds its own, excelling for a 6+2 bit screen. The screen doesn't use PWM to control the brightness so is fine for those who notice the effects of this. Black levels are good for an IPS monitor but not great - though no IPS panels are great. If you're looking for great contrast ratios then go for a VA panel.

It was easy to set up, the stand is nice looking and doesn't waste loads of desk space while being easy to adjust. Build quality is mostly great, however there is some backlight bleed in the bottom left corner. In normal use this isn't noticeable so I'll not be sending it back or anything, however in dark scenes this is visible and could annoy some people. The anti-glare coating is light and inoffensive, giving a cleaner looking picture than the coating on the Dell U2313HM that I also have. As I have not used it in a high glare environment I can't comment on how well it does but no reflections are visible in normal indoor use.

Connectivity is more of a mixed bag - it has DisplayPort (I'm using this) and HDMI which is fine for me but may cause trouble for some nVidia graphics card users as these cards will think it's a TV and send a restricted colour range. Fixable, but irritating. Had they included DVI as an option then this problem could have been sidestepped. No VGA may be a problem for old laptops but most have come with HDMI for quite some time now and VGA isn't as good as the digital options anyway.

Pixel responsiveness is very good for the end user, as the overdrive is done well, making it faster in real-world transitions than my old TN panel despite double the quoted response time. An excellent result. I have no way of measuring input lag easily so couldn't comment on this though several reviews suggest it is excellent in this regard also.

I'd highly recommend this monitor to anyone wanting good colours and viewing angles in an attractive package. Being pre-calibrated it's a good option for those needing accurate colour who don't have their own calibration devices, but if you already own a calibration device you could go for the cheaper P2414H instead (though most likely you'll not be looking in this market segment at all)
It is a decent option for gamers who don't want to go for the poor image of TN panels. For the money I know of no better option.
44 comments47 of 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 February 2014
I've used many brands of monitor in the past and I've always found that Dell's are the best (in my opinion). So when I decided I was fed up of my lower resolution, poor colour reproduction TV as an auxiliary display, I turned straight to Dell for its replacement.

This monitor was definitely the best choice I could make as as soon as I took it out of the box, it felt very sturdy and well built and looked very nice. When I was wiring it up, I noticed that it has 3 display port connections: one full-size IN, once miniDP IN and one full-size OUT. I can only guess that this is intended for multiple monitors out of a single display port connector, but I haven't used that feature so I cannot say for sure.

I have 3 Dell 2312HMs that I love and was tempted to just buy another instead, but I thought I'd spend a little more and get something that looks even nicer and it was a great choice. The monitor looks amazing and the bezel is absolutely tiny! I think the spec says that the bezel is 6mm but I swear it's only 3 or 4mm, though it does have the bigger bezel on the bottom. That means that it wouldn't suit an Eyefinity or Nvidia Surround setup in portrait (which I use my 2312HMs for) but would be amazing for landscape.

I'm no monitor expert, but the colour reproduction looks very good and I love the screen - very clear, even backlighting and media looks great on it.
on 27 September 2014
There's lots on the web about this screen and Macs - for me I un-boxed, I plugged the screen in and presto - worked fine with no adjustments.
All the cables I needed for my 13" MacBook Air (mid-2013 model) were in the box, nice to see a hardware supplier not being mean and including all the cables needed - well done Dell...!!
Maybe it's not made clear that the MacBook Air's monitor port is also the thunderbolt port. For this screen you're using the port as a monitor port, there's nothing "thunderbolt" about this screen - simple as that. You'll need the use the USB cable that comes with the screen too to plug into the monitor if you want to use the monitor's built in USB hub and you'll need that for the optional speaker. Add a power cable onto your mac and it's 3 cables out the mac, but fine with me.
I bought the extra Dell speaker bar, not brilliant sound but just ok and very neat speaker add-on. Shame on Dell for not offering a really good speaker bar.
In summary the screen is a really good purchase, and it looks great even switched off.
on 22 August 2014
This display replaced a similarly priced Samsung and the difference is huge. I'm using it for semi-pro Photographic work with a MacBook Pro Retina and I'm very happy with the colour and sharpness. This display looks and feels like a quality product that should cost more.

Unlike other reviewers, I've had no problem at all with displayport. Cables were included and it worked right out of the box without problems.

I read a lot of expert reviews and the consensus seemed to be that for anything except the most high-end specialist tasks, this is good all choice. My own experience bears this out.
on 1 November 2015
I'm not a fan of the buttons, which are touch sensitive and sometimes don't notice your fingers. But for the money this monitor has earned all of its stars. It adjusts through a huge range of heights, it rotates around its Y axis and the screen around its Z axis and the screen also tilts around its X axis. The screen is a nice size, enough to fit a browser on one side and an editor on the other with a terminal window too, and that's very useful if you're a web developer using some kind of live preview ala Brackets' editor. The colours are absolutely sumptuous too, I had no idea how beautiful my computer environment really looked until I plugged this screen in! You'll notice more of a difference if you have a nice video display card, like a higher end NVidia or something, but oh my is it worth it when your whole life revolves around computers in one way or another! Yes the touch sensitive control panel is a bit lame, but it honestly isn't enough to take a whole star away from this thing.
on 17 October 2015
One of the best monitors I've ever seen! Near Edge to edge display, can't get anything closer. Picture quality is superb and matt display that doesn't reflect light. Even with the monitors turned off it still looks good!
review image review image
on 4 May 2015
Plus points: this is a bright and accurate monitor, and the narrow bezel is great when running multi-monitor setups.
Negative point: I have been unable to get this to work reliably using MST daisychaining, driven by the updated Dell Precision m3800 with the latest drivers. Occasionally, the monitors come out of power saving mode quickly enough for all to work. However, most of the time, anything downstream from the first monitor fails to present as an independent display and the best I can get is a mirrored display. I'm really disappointed, and have had to buy a separate MST hub and give up altogether on Dell's implementation of DisplayPort 1.2
on 10 October 2014
Coming from a measly 1366x768 resolution to 1920x1080 feels great.

The stand is sturdy and is very adjustable, allowing pivot, tilt and swivel.
The built in USB hub I found useful for my keyboard and headset receiver. The USB hub is also powered when not plugged into the PC, meaning you can use to to power an LED strip behind the monitor without having a long USB cable reaching to your PC.

There are touch sensitive buttons which are a nice touch.

I'd recommend going into the settings on the monitor and enable Display Port 1.2 immediately, as this allows you to link together monitors, eliminating cable clutter going to the PC a little.

Colours look great and the thin bezels are really nice, although bear in mind that the panel doesn't run all the way up to the plastic around the outside of the monitor, when the screen is on there's about a 5mm black edge with a little less on the bottom bezel.

I found that there is a little backlight bleed in the bottom left corner, although very minor and I can only notice it if I look for it on a pure black image.

I plan on buying another to replace my secondary screen. Would recommend.
22 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse