Format: DVD|Change

on 6 December 2013
We saw this on the big screen and, particularly if you are a fan of feelgood movies, then it's a must! Although based on a true story the screenplay has embellished the factual content somewhat but the story line remains reasonably true. James Corden is great in the role of Paul Potts, the aspiring operatic singer, and although it's not a comedy there is lovely ongoing humour.

The acting is great, the sets super and the direction is good. And if you're a bit of a softie there will be more than the odd tear in the eye!

Apparently the actual voice of Paul Potts is used in the score. And whilst we'd not heard of him he does indeed have a great voice. Interestingly, I often believe that the so called trained operatic voices are less appealing than the softer natural voices - such as Potts'. Most so called opera singers are just a nice noise as you can't understand a word of what they are singing! If you're not into opera then this movie will greatly encourage you! I shall be purchasing the DVD when it is released! It's magic.
33 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2014
Great acting in this really enjoyable movie charting Paul Potts' story up until the point of his BGT win a and subsequent success. James Corden was brilliant in the role and it was good to see the wonderful Jemima Rooper, although in one of the supporting roles. I can't understand the somewhat snooty critical reception this received when it was released, it's a really good watch
on 9 June 2014
Absolutely loved this film. Got everything you could want in a film....humour, music, romance and the true story of how through sheer determination dreams can come true. Whatever your preferences with a film I think this one can be enjoed by anyone.
on 1 May 2014
It was hard to imagine one man went through so many traumas. I was pleased to see that Paul Potts went to study Opera in Venice prior to being found on Britain's Got Talent.

I found the relationship with his Father very upsetting, but was elated when his Father finally stuck up for him. It was a shame he didn't support him sooner.

Paul Potts's best mate and Car Phone Warehouse Manager was fantastic!

The women is Paul's life are by far the best, as they never swayed in their belief of him. His wife is an absolute star.
James Corden performed the role of Paul Potts well. A big thumbs up all round.
on 30 November 2013
this is the best british film I have seen in years james corden was brilliant so was all the rest of the cast and it had some fantastic scenery in it definatly recommend it
on 9 June 2014
One of my friends recommended this film to me so i was curious to watch it. At first when my friend said it was about Paul Potts i thought it would be about him on bgt and after and not really interesting. The story is so much better than that as it's about before the show. It is a film that i really enjoyed and i was supprised by how much i wanted to watch it again after it had ended.
on 16 January 2016
We saw this film on a plane at Xmas. We had heard of Paul Potts but not his story. Following in the footsteps of Billy Eliott , this is a great heart warming British film . James Corden was great as Paul, and Julie Walters in a film is a bonus. We had to get the film ln DVD for wet Sunday afternoons
Overall, a great British film
on 24 January 2015
I bought this DVD by mistake. It was to late for me to cancel when I realised what ID done.
However, watched it today not intending to enjoy, but enjoy I did!
Great acting, numerous and at times quite sad. This man Paul Potts wanted this career so so much.as a viewer you walk with him, edging on his hopes and dreams.
Well done to James corden for his great acting and that likeability factor.
Even people who dont like opera or Britains got talent stuff, watch it and this will interest you
on 16 November 2014
This is British acting at its very best.

I saw this at the cinema but have since seen it on DVD. It is brilliant. If you haven't seen it already its really worth every penny. I am so please this was made. I never dreamed Paul Potts had so many set backs before he made it big. Just proves if you love something as much as Paul loved opera then NOTHING will ever stand in your way.

A great film.
on 7 May 2015
I really enjoyed this film.
a great uplifting British film with a great cast.
cant really say anything bad about this film.
its a story of a boy bullied terribly yet in the end he overcomes everything even through all he has been through.
just a really good film to watch