Format: Kindle EditionChange

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 5 February 2014
Preferred this to 'The Bed I Made': a stronger and more likeable heroine, a much less guessable and twisty plot, lots of questions that seem answered but only lead to more questions. And I really didn't want to put it down until I worked out what on earth was going on!

Hannah is newly married. Husband Mark works in New York regularly but one weekend doesn't come home... Trying not to suspect the man she loves as her mother once did her father, Hannah begins investigating to discover what is happening but begins to find disturbing evidence that her perfect marriage really isn't all it seems. But is it simply another woman?

You think you can guess what's going on, but I certainly found my allegiance to characters and ideas about their loyalties kept changing.

Lots of tension fill this story. There's a real sense of danger, and as the plot (appears to) unravel, some very dark deeds come to light, and you think you know where you stand...

Quite a quick book to read, with a plot that moves fast. Highly recommended if you like psychological stories and twisty family thrillers.
on 19 February 2014
There have been so many domestic thrillers published in the past few years and this novel follows the usual format. Hannah is a thirty-something English advertizing executive working in New York where she meets Mark, a fellow Brit, with whom she falls in love and marries in haste. The story opens with Hannah driving to the airport to meet her husband who is due back from a business trip in New York and Hannah is oh-so-happy with her Mr Right! Then the anxiety mounts as Mark fails to turn up and the reader wonders if Mr Right is really Mr Wrong. How well does Hannah know Mark? This forms the basis for the novel and to go into any further detail regarding the plot at this point might risk revealing too much to potential readers.

This is the first Lucie Whitehouse novel I have read and, while far from original, it should still hold the reader's interest. The style is easy and unpretentious but I must confess the story is very forgettable and quite predictable, the plot slightly over-the-top and the characters stereotypical and lacking in any depth. Although I read right to the end without difficulty I was, nevertheless disappointed and underawed by the time I had finished as the plot contained no surprises for me and I found the book too long drawn out.

So if you are interested in an undemanding holiday read this might do the trick.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Hannah and Mark enjoyed a whirlwind romance and have been married for
just eight months. Before meeting Mark Hannah enjoyed a life full of
casual relationships after seeing the hysterical mess her mother becamce
after accusing her husband of serial infidelity. Hannah vowed to herself
that she would never ever find herself in a similar situation and figured
the best wasy to avoid becoming that woman was to remain emotionally
uninvolved and she did, focusing on her career and enjoying a series of
one night stands whilst retaining her autonomy - and then she met Mark...

Mark seems the perfect man, he is english like Hannah, very successful and
very loving, he remains down to earth and not consumed by the trappings of
material gain. For him Hannah gives up her vow, leaves her own very success-
ful career in New York and moves back to London.

Everything is perfect - and then she goes to Heathrow to meet him from one
of his buisness trips and she waits at the arrivals gate and he's not there,
unable to reach him by phone or e-mail Hannah finds hereself turning into
her mother - searching for clues and not liking at all what she finds.

What follows is a series of revelations and unexpected ripples in the happiness
she thought they shared. A ripping good read I really enjoyed.
on 17 May 2014
I have to say that I have not finished this, mainly because it is, for me, badly written and predictable as well as annoying and materialistic. Sorry. Just can't enjoy it. My rule is, if you are about 20% into a book and you are annoyed with it, then you cannot waste valuable reading time upon it. So. I've stopped.
on 2 July 2014
Really surprised by all the positive reviews....I was completely unimpressed! Poor storyline and the 'twist' was glaringly obvious. Plus the obsession with money throughout the novel made the whole novel pretentious, not for me!!!!
VINE VOICEon 14 January 2014
I love a twisty, tension filled psychological thriller and this certainly didn't disappoint. From the moment that newly married Hannah is left waiting at Heathrow for her husband Mark to return from a business trip from New York, the reader is left in no doubt that all is not well. Mark's initial attempts to explain why he wasn't on the flight and how he lost his phone don't entirely convince Hannah, especially when she finds out that his colleagues were expecting him to be somewhere else and she reluctantly starts digging a little deeper into their finances and his business. What she discovers devastates her and although she thought they were both very much in love, she is starting to doubt the man she married. When she questions his friends she discovers discrepancies which make her wonder about his past and the secrets he may be hiding.

Hannah is no pushover, neither is she meek and silly, she is an engaging character with emotions and worries that you could identify with. They were introduced through mutual friends whilst they were both working in New York and she thought she had found her perfect man. She is determined not to be like her mother, who drove her father away with her constant checking and accusations of affairs and has taken a lot on trust. However her discoveries leave her feeling vulnerable and afraid - having given up her NY job when they married to live with Mark in London, she has no resources of her own and her fears that Mark is having an affair and planning to leave her feel very real.

There were so many twists and turns in the story that it was difficult to decide between the lies and the truth.. As the story progresses the tension builds and it takes a sinister turn. There were times when I was so concerned as to the danger that Hannah could be walking into that I was almost too scared to read on.

I've read and enjoyed both of Lucie Whitehouse's previous books The House at Midnight and The Bed I Made but this superbly crafted novel takes her writing to another level of suspense and I loved it.

My thanks to Netgalley and Bloomsbury Publishing for the digital copy for review.
on 27 June 2014
I must admit I didn't have high hopes for this book after reading the first few chapters, but... I carried on and what a surprise!! I thought it was all going to be very predictable And I can honestly say I was very wrong! You find yourself during to know what happens next. Definitely recommend this book!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 January 2014
Hannah thought she had it all, then one night she stood at Arrivals in Heathrow airport waiting to meet her husband Mark off the flight from New York and he didn't show. A sleepless night worrying was ended when he phoned the next day...or it would have been if she hadn't already phoned a colleague in his London Office who seemed to think that her and Mark were spending the weekend in Rome. This revelation and Marks story that he'd been delayed and lost his phone was enough to set alarm bells ringing and Hannah found that sense of unease growing sending her into a downward spiral of suspicion and distrust.

I really liked this book, the character of Hannah was well portrayed and her uncertainties about her husband, her realisation about just how little she knew about his past were really well written and intriguing. A well paced novel that moves easily between past and present and even though I'd worked out the final twist before I got there this is still a novel I'd definitely recommend

Recommended if you like psychological thrillers with a twist or two, advance reading copy provided by the publisher for review purposes
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Thrillers set within a marriage are a booming sub-genre at the moment, and this latest addition is worth a read if you like that sort of thing. This story is about Hannah, recently married to Mark. She meets his flight from New York to discover that he isn't on it, and her own insecurities ensure that her mind starts speculating about the cause of his disappearance. I don't want to say too much about the plot for fear of spoiling it for you but it starts off quite slowing before picking up the pace from about half way through. I was turning the virtual pages on my Kindle pretty quickly by the end. Hannah was a good character, strong and bright but at a vulnerable point in her life, although I found some of the others less convincing. There were a few twists before the end, some of which I'd seen coming, but this was nonetheless pretty exciting. Lucie Whitehouse creates an atmosphere of fear very well here, just as she did in her earlier book The Bed I Made which is another decent psychological thriller with a female lead character. A good read.
on 1 July 2014
All that really sticks out of this book is the number of times the character "leans her forehead" on to various objects. The steering wheel, a window, a wall....YAWN. I had to read it to the end to prove my self wrong perhaps and to find out what on earth happens. I did not prove myself wrong and the end was like a REALLY bad made-for-tv channel 5 movie!! Oh lord!! Not much substance... all a bit forgettable! Very disappointed - it is NOTHING like Gone girl! Does not EVEN compare.... BOOOOO.