on 19 November 2013
I was torn between buying the iPad Air and the Kindle Fire HDX, but after reading reviews all over the net I decided upon the Air 32gb in silver. Having never owned an Apple product before I wasn't really sure what to expect from it, but since I've had it - only four days - I've loved every single minute of using it.

Firstly it feels so nice to hold and use, the screen is superb and colours are really vibrant. Ease of use is also first class and things I thought would be hard to achieve - such as syncing four email addresses from my current PC - were actually a piece of cake.

Having used my son's Kindle Fire HD (I know it's not really comparable)I am amazed at how much Apple have crammed into such a slim and lightweight device. It's also mindbogglingly fast and everything works seamlessly and instantly. Battery life is very good and seems to last around 11 hours, although I'm yet to run it right down to zero.

If I had to be super picky and find something that Apple's boffin's could improve upon further, it would be sound quality at mid to high levels; it can sound a tiny bit tinny (although it still sounds better than anything I've owned before). This isn't really an issue for me as I usually listen at normal sound levels, or through headphones or WiFi speakers, and in these situations the sound quality is excellent, rich and deep.

Lastly, and I suspect this is true for most cameras and tablets on the market, the camera picture quality in low light situations can be somewhat grainy, however in normal light situations it's amazing good. Again this really doesn't bother me, but in the interests of giving a fair representation it has to be mentioned.

The App Store is excellent and easily better than any of the other stores.

I can easily say this is the best piece of kit I have ever owned, and I'm really pleased that I decided on the iPad Air. It may be more expensive than other tablets on the market, but I personally feel you are getting a lot of extra value for your money.
11 comment242 of 255 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 December 2013
Apologies. It seems Amazon has aggregated products and reviews, and therefore this review simply appears as a duplicate.
You can see my review of the iPad above.
2323 comments198 of 210 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The iPad has established itself in four short years as Tablets of choice to which all others are compared, and the Air is the newest and coolest in the family.

First of all, the good news. At 467g the Air redefines computer portability and is so lightweight it's hard to tell whether you're carrying it in your bag or have in fact forgotten it, without looking to check. The Air has a fast A7 chip and the screen is a useful 9.7 inches; it's a breeze to use. The design of the graphics is so intuitive that any child or technophobe can master it and feel at home in a few minutes, which makes it the perfect entry-point into IT for someone who has so far avoided computers.

One of the clever things Apple have done is the creation of the individual `Apple ID' which means once you enter your ID & password your iPad, iPhone, iPod and Mac immediately share all their files, and everything you created or stored on one device becomes available on them all: photos, music, reminders, address book, documents are all shared. This is probably the most brilliant idea ever in the IT mass market to create brand loyalty among consumers and `locks you in to the corporation for the duration'.

Now, the bad news: the software crashes from time to time necessitating a reboot, which is annoying and inconvenient. This fault is acknowledged by Apple, as the software has a few bugs. Also the wireless reception is not all it might be, as it sometimes (mysteriously) fails to connect to even a moderately strong signal.

Apple's pricing structure does not reflect the cost of manufacture but is driven by a market segmentation strategy, so the price really cranks up if you want an iPad with more memory or which can use the GSM phone network. The best value is the 16G Air without Cellular, which only connects to the internet via WiFi. 16G is a lot of memory by the historic standards of portable computers and you'll only find it insufficient if you want to store a lot of big files like films or powerpoint presentations.

You'll need a carrying case to protect it (scores of different designs are available) and maybe a keyboard, which if you're doing a lot of writing and document creation rather than just surfing the internet is the one essential accessory, as without a separate keyboard the usable screen area is reduced in size. Around one million downloadable apps for Apple devices means you can personalize your iPad and make it into more or less whatever you want. The Air design is aesthetically a work of beauty in its simplicity, cleanness of lines and proportion, and despite some irritating niggles is a pleasure to own and use.
on 26 December 2013
After wanting an iPad since they came out (nearly 4 years ago!) I finaly decided that this Christmas I would get one... and it was certainly worth it! The Retina display is crystal clear, the A7 chip is super fast and apps load extremely quickly, surfing the web is incredibly quick thanks to MIMO technology and dual microphones make sure Siri always picks up what you say.

I decided to go with the Air over the Mini 2nd gen as I wanted a bigger screen, I chose the 32GB model in Silver & White as I've heard the Space Grey & Black model picks up scratches and chips really easily and I don't like the black bezel. Also, if you are planning on having films and quite a lot of apps then don't go with the 16GB model as it won't be enough.

One of my favourite features about the Air is the huge amount of optimised apps from the App Store available, most android apps are just scaled up phone apps which really puts me off, but with the Air Facebook and YouTube fill the whole screen and are amazing. Another great thing is the performance of the Air, extremely intensive apps such as the new GTA: San Andreas are beautifully smooth and look fantastic on the big 9.7 inch Retina Display, at 264 ppi (pixels per inch) it may not have as many pixels as other tablets, but you would never notice at all because you don't constantly have your face against the iPad as that would be ridiculous!

I love Safari, not only because it's so fluid and easy to use but because it's now so fast and snappy because of MIMO (Multiple In Multiple Out) and help from the A7 chip, intense web pages such as google images load so quickly. Apps load so fast and games like Temple Run 2 load in just seconds instead of 10's of seconds like on my iPod 5th gen with an A5 chip. Built in apps such as iMessage and Mail are great because they are made to make use of the large display and you can split the keyboard for typing so it's even easier to use.

The design of the Air sets it apart from any other tablet, the gorgeous aluminium back and the Apple logo which you can use as a mirror and even the camera cut out just make it better than the competition! It only weighs 469g (1 pound) and it's 7.5mm thin so it does not become uncomfortable after holding it for a while, also the thinner bezels do not effect the screen when your holding the sides of the device and just ignore any accidental touches. The volume and sleep/wake buttons make a lovely click when pressed, it is so beautifully crafted.

I wish people would stop moaning about how the back camera hasn't been improved to match the iPhone 5s's with slo-mo and all that, you look ridiculous taking photos with an iPad, so don't do it!

I only had my iPad one day and I already love it, yesterday (Christmas Day) I was on it most of the day (about 15 hours) and I didn't have to charge it even though I was watching videos, playing games like GTA and Temple Run 2 and downloading loads of apps!

Even though it comes at a hefty price you are buying a premium product and getting an amazing experience I'm sure you'll love, it's definitely worth it! I love mine and I can't wait for future updates and discovering more features, it is far better than any other tablet out there for many reasons, that's why I love it so much!!

Apps I recommend for iPad Air and iPad mini 2,

Heads Up
Flightradar 24 Pro
Cut The Rope 2
Sky Guide
0Comment51 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 July 2015
Apple claims that iPad Air is twice as fast as the previous generation and believe me, it is! The new 64 bit A7 is really fast! Before I sell my beloved and long used iPad 4th gen I had the chance to compare them side by side. The difference in terms of speed is huge, while the battery holds the same 10 hour efficiency. iOs is operating beautifully under this new beast and free iWork & iLife apps is a welcome addition for any new owner of iPad air.

One of the biggest let downs is the lack of the touch id that is supported in iPhone 5s. Why do tablet owners always have to wait for next generation to get features which already exist in the latest smartphones? The technology is there and they can use it. For the money that iPad Air cost, they should have packed Touch id! Period!

PROS:
+ Lighter & smaller
+ New faster 64 bit A7 chip
+ Free iLife & iWork suite

CONS:
– No rear camera improvement
– No Touch Id

OVERALL:
Besides the drawbacks, this is the best tablet available in the market at the moment. If you love Apple’s ecosystem, go for it. If you ve never been a part of it, this is your best chance!

*Forgot to mention: iPad Air is available in 16 flavors in total -> wifi & wifi + 4g X 2 colours (silver & space grey) X 4 storage options (16,32,64 & 128 GB ). Personally, I prefer the space grey colour and for my needs the 16 GB – wifi + 4G. What about you?
- See more at: http://www.bestbuy-uk.com/best-buy-apple-ipad-air-wi-fi-32gb-md789fda-32-gb-1024-mb-9-7-inch-lcd/#sthash.yd7t12sx.dpuf
on 1 September 2014
Ordered through Elife, fulfilled by Amazon.

I was at first concerned by the low price on Amazon's website. However, this turned out to be unfounded, as the product is in perfect condition. It came in brand-new packaging, and works like a brand-new device should. It was speedily dispatched, and reached me within two days. Excellent service.

I need not elaborate on the qualities of the device itself, these have been listed elsewhere in the comments section. However I will mention that this tablet is particularly lightweight and excellent for travelling around. The reason I bought this in the first place was in order to replace a chunky, heavy, bulky laptop which weighed a good 2 kg more than this device. This was literally a pain in the neck to carry around, and so I had to go for something lighter; the iPad is great by comparison. The structure is fantastically sturdy, and the A7 processor runs as fast as anything else on the market. It barely takes any time for the iPad to power on or shut down, and it handles all application processes seamlessly. When coupled with the free productivity apps, such as pages, this product is perfect for anybody like me who is going into studies. I also personally use Evernote when doing lecture notes, and the other Apple productivity apps in order to create or view slideshows and PDFs. Add a keyboard and you're set for the academic year. Highly recommended.
on 11 November 2013
Since Apple announced the iPad Air and the new iPad mini I trully wanted to get my hands on these. Unlike the new iPad mini, the Air is available for anyone who wants to upgrade from the previous generations iPads or get an Apple tablet for the first time. I already own the 4th gen iPad , but I couldn t miss the newer edition for anything in the world, now that I knew it was lighter and more powerful.

No offence to the Android community, this iPad is hands down the best tablet in its category. Continue reading below and some of you may agree with me. :)

The latest generation of iPad, the iPad Air, took its name because of its weight and its form factor in general. Apple decided to reduce the weight and the bezel around the screen, managing to create a bigger...ipad mini. A sleek design of aluminum, packs a 9.7 inches display with the same retina resolution as the previous ones. The colours look alive and the photos look crispier as ever. The screen is responsive in every command without glitches or lagging; after all i can t remember of any Apple touchscreen product that ever had lagging issues.

Rear camera remain the same while the front camera is packing a 1.2 MP lens recording in 30fps. For some the same rear camera and the lack of a flash is a drawback while for others it doesn t matter at all. Personally, I would enjoy a flash on the iPad Air since there are moments I use it in darker environments where I want to take photos or record a video. Also, the lack of the slow motion recording that the iPhone 5s camera packs is a thing that its missing and will be probably added in the next gen.

In terms of audio quality, Apple added stereo speakers on this device, although you won t enjoy stereo surround when you hold the tablet in landscape since both of the speakers are located on the bottom side of the tablet. I think that not only iPad Air but tablets in general didn t do huge leaps improving sound quality.

PROS:
+ Lighter & smaller
+ New faster 64 bit A7 chip
+ Free iLife & iWork suite

CONS:
- No rear camera improvement
- No Touch Id

OVERALL:
Besides the drawbacks, this is the best tablet available in the market at the moment. If you love Apple's ecosystem, go for it. If you ve never been a part of it, this is your best chance!

*Forgot to mention: iPad Air is available in 16 flavors in total -> wifi & wifi + 4g X 2 colours (silver & space grey) X 4 storage options (16,32,64 & 128 GB ). Personally, I prefer the space grey colour and for my needs the 16 GB - wifi + 4G. What about you?
22 comments87 of 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 4 February 2014
I give it a rating of 3 - since it has not exploded my computing experience to a higher level. Honestly - it's hype - and I knew it was. But everyone was saying so much "good" about the iPad - I had to wade in with my fingers crossed.

What I like about it - is the build quality. Top notch - as Apple usually does it. It's also an Air - with the A7 processor (dual processor - made by Samsung - heh) meaning the ones who bought the fatter versions are to be mocked - hehe - "mine is better and slimmer than yours" sort of thing. The charging point is still a tiny connector - but it feels sturdy. The responsiveness of the browsing experience is good. The sound quality is decent - not as tinny as I expected. It's great for showing off pics to visitors too. I had great fun with the Photo Booth App - with all it's generated misshapen faces and heads. It's doubly great for showing and reading PDFs on the move and in a conferencing situation. The Retina Screen is OK. The access to the App store is also exciting - as you download Free Space Invaders Games!

What I don't like about it - is the weight. I don't know how the fatter iPads feel, but this thing - even though it's slimmer - seems to weigh a bit more than it looks. So it's not something you would carry around all day - even in your own house. The speakers are only at the bottom; which isn't a problem if you're viewing habit is Portrait - but in Landscape - the brain expects Stereo to accompany the video - and this thing does not do that! It sort of jolts you to the right side of the visual. You should have speakers at the top too - duuurrh - Apple geniuses! I don't like the problem with the Photo's not having the correct orientation when transferred to a PC. It's to do with some orientation tag embedded into JPG pics that PCs are not able to read properly. So I sent pic to friends sideways on - without knowing it! Bad - Apple. Overall - the computing experience is slower. I'm just used to the PC I guess - and my Mac Mini. But why must I put up with no built-in File Manager? And why must I use iTunes to upload files to this gadget? Why cant I just plug the USB cable in and access the 32Gig drive - which I paid extra for? Why must Apple reinvent the Wheel?

If you are new to Computing then perhaps I can recommend an iPad to you. But if you are an experienced computer user - who wants speed in typing and sending files - the iPad is not for you - honestly. It's just another OS you have to learn - and I simply haven't got the time. (I'm writing this review on my PC - in Windows 7: it would be hours upon hours if I did this on an iPad)
99 comments44 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 May 2014
Amazing💫 I'm a 12 year old girl who's very socialble, I have pretty much every social app like snapchat ect. I cannot count the times my parents have nagged me to get of my iPad! I am on it 24/7 and take it pretty much everywhere with me! It's wasn't very clear in the description when I ordered it if it was brand new or refurbished but yeh it is, It came in all the rapping and stuff that it would be in if you buy it from apple or John Lewis ect. As I would know from watching people I boxing theirs on YouTube. Anyways the point is it's a Very good device for chatting to friends and keeping yourself entertained, if your not familiar with iPads or apple products then is is definitely the product you should 'start out' with.

Some of the things I do/ is useful for:
-FaceTime/Skype
-watching films/TV
-surfing the web(the screen is bigger than a phone so is easier to read)
- listening to music/ the radio
- playing games
-taking pictures/selfies!
-working/school work
-Internet shopping

And alot more, ther are soo many apps on the AppStore, pretty much an app for anything.

This iPad would derail for £479 on the apple website so you save quite a lot

I would really recommend the iPad Air is it is comfortable to hold and very handy
on 18 June 2014
I'm chuffed to bits with my iPad air. As an Apple fan with an iPhone 5 this is not a surprise. I have bought iPad airs for my mother and mother in law who are in their late 70's. The clarity & colour of viewing is fantastic. I am finding more apps each week to download and love using it. On holiday recently out of 14 people half had iPads which we used to display lyrics for a sing along. It's great for taking and displaying photos. Facetime, imessages, email all work well. I love using iPlayer now as I can access it from anywhere that has wifi rather than sitting at my home computer. My main gripe is that it comes without a user manual. I know that Apple products are quite intuitive to use, but I still needed to buy a guide as it is difficult to read the help stuff while actually carrying out the recommended steps. I think that this is especially true for people who are not IT literate such as my mum. I wish that the notes app was less basic - not a full blown word processor but allowing for more changes. I think that a wifi printer would be useful for e-tickets etc.