4.8 out of 5 stars6,126
Format: DVDChange

on 7 May 2014
For some odd reason, the 3D version of Frozen wasn't released in the US on Blu-ray, so I had to import the UK version, but I'm glad I did. This movie does 3D right, with fantastic depth and beautiful environments. Probably the best use of 3D I've seen in an animated movie. Let It Go in particular is a great scene to show off in 3D. Fantastic visuals. The snowy environments really bring out the depth in practically every scene, more than I've ever seen before.

I probably would have liked to see a few more special features. I know there were deleted songs and a lot of changes during production early on, so I would have liked to see some of those things included, as well as a more in-depth making of feature, although the "Making of Frozen" feature is brilliant. There are rumors that Disney is waiting until the holidays to release the 3D Blu-ray in America, so it's possible new features will arrive with that release. I just couldn't wait to see Frozen in 3D on my TV, and I'm glad I bought this. Fantastic disc, and fantastic movie.

I really liked the movie better the second time around. The first time I found the songs odd. They didn't feel like they fit the style of typical Disney musicals. People were singing dialogue and the songs weren't quite as catchy as usual (aside from Let It Go). However, on a repeat viewing, I realized the genius of the movie. The songs really have a strong connective theme, and are actually written very smartly, with complex lyrics and unconventional rhyming patterns. I think it's the fact that the rhyming is different that through me off the most the first time, but once you're familiar with the songs, you can see the structure of the songs much clearer, and they're really well done. The acting, animation and story are all top notch. I still slightly prefer Tangled over Frozen, but Frozen is very close, and definitely one of my favorite Disney animated films!
on 29 August 2014
Finally watched this after all the fuss from all the addicted little girls I know who adore it. (including my 21yr old daughter!) I have to say it ticks all the boxes - excellent animation, wonderful story (an adaptation of the Hans Christian Anderson story - The Snow Queen) and excellent musical score too. I would put this on a par with 'Brave', perhaps even edging ahead slightly. Thoroughly entertaining with the feel-good factor of the Disney happy ending!
0Comment85 of 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2015
Having now watched this film ten times with my three year old daughter, I still enjoy it. Quite simply it is brilliant, particularly for young girls. It is a bit more of a girl movie I would say unlike previous Disney classics like the lion king, because the story involves princesses and sisters. However unlike every other Disney princess movie, these princesses are independent and powerful, which is a very good message for today's children. I believe this is the first Disney movie to show the main character young woman as possessing magic powers instead of that role being filled by side characters, and the first Disney film in which the day is not saved by a man. Men play key roles but it very much a female empowering film. The combination of the girly princess/queen angle with lavish parties and settings with magic and adventure is what makes this movie so appealing, and it helps that the songs are catchy, the acting is good, and the animation is stunning. The tone is quite light and comedic with the exception of a few poignant or tragic moments so it is light watching yet touching and inspirational. I have to commend the writers because there is one song sequence near the beginning which lasts but a few minutes yet encompasses the sisters growing up, then growing apart, Elsa's powers developing and their parents dying, all in one song, which manages to move me to tears every time. Exceptional, really. It is not hard to see why this has become a global phenomenon. The message is one of self confidence and being accepted, and learning the power of different kinds of love.
Ok, the marketing has gone a bit mad, and im not sure any movie deserves quite the fan madness that this movie has received, and yes at the end of the day it is a childrens movie. Do not expect it to plumb new depths of the human psyche or unravel the mysteries of the universe. It is a small scale, personal tale, not an epic, and expect emotion and delight not action packed mayhem. Some have criticised a lack of plot because the plot is a simple quest to bring sisters back together and find acceptance and a place in the world, rather than a complex plot spanning continents and multiple agendas. This isnt james bond, this is Disney, so have that in mind when you watch it.
At the end of the day if you go into it expecting a fun, fantastic, inspirational adventure and you do not like this movie then you are probably a miserly curmudgeon. Or a sociopath.
This is a really perfect stocking filler for Christmas, which will be adored by all Frozen fans. If you already have the film, you may be wondering what this DVD offers that will make it worth buying again. It comes in a slip case, with an attractive cover, making it look just a little bit more special if you are buying it as a present. The DVD itself comtains the film, but with the added extra of the words included underneath the songs - along with a bouncing snowflake, which follows the words, so your little one can sing along. Even better, in the extra bonus features there is a 'sing along selection' - which is simply all the songs together. My daughter had a play date yesterday and I think I must have heard, "Let It Go," accompanied by raucous seven year olds, about twenty times. So, this DVD will drive you crazy, but the kids will adore it! The bonus features also contains a little documentary, "Breaking the Ice," about the making of this incredibly successful movie and a little Mickey Mouse short feature, "Get a Horse." It is impossible to say why some films take off, but for my little girl - and many others - this has become a mini obsession. It certainly contains good female characters and some really catchy songs and this edition will be greatly enjoyed by Frozen fans everywhere.
55 comments108 of 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 May 2014
This movie is really the top pick for kids (especially young girls) in 2013/2014. My daughters loved it and the ending was not the typical boy saves girl we are used to seeing in Disney movies. Under the leadership of John Lassiter, Disney animation is experiencing a modern rebirth. While my personal favorite was Tangled, there is no denying the draw of this movie.

Now... on the for 3D comments... I was dismayed to find out that we could not buy this in the US other than in 2D. I hope this is just an anomaly and not the sign of some greedy plot by the powers in Hollywood. Still, I have to give Amazon UK a lot of credit for offering this disk for sale to ex-UK buyers, especially in the US. While it is somewhat absurd to have to buy a movie made in the US from the UK just to get the version we want, I am grateful for the availability and reasonable price. I think this costs about the same as the US version with the shipping factored in. Thank you Amazon UK!!!
on 5 April 2014
I took a chance and ordered this UK release of Frozen 3D from the UK since Disney apparently doesn't consider us Americans worthy of the 3D version. As advertised, this 3D Blu-ray disc is indeed Region-Free and works on my U.S. Blu-ray player with no problem.

The movie is fantastic, the sound and image are wonderful, and the packaging is free of frustration. It costs a bit extra ordering from England, but if you must have the 3D release, at least there's a way to get it!
1515 comments151 of 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 May 2014
Glad I purchased this DVD. The packaging was excellent and delivery was super speedy. Our special little person has watched the movie over and over again and now sings along with the characters. Happy days - happy little person - happy parents...! Thank you seller. I would recommend your shop to all frazzled parents.
on 28 December 2015
The dvd arrived early. I only bought it because I wanted to see what the fuss was about. I watched it yesterday, and, well, as a result of response to the film I was expecting something stratospheric. What I saw instead was a film with lots of lush scenery but an average storyline. In no way is it as good as the likes of Beauty and the Beast and the Lion King, and the songs were ordinary except for one or two that were a bit better. The characters especially Princess Anna had an annoying like totally American personality and even though I didn't know the story of the snow queen I could see it coming that the man who asked her to marry him was only after a title and power. If my nieces didn't already have the dvd I would give it to them.
on 15 January 2014
Frozen is a phenominon. It is a magical and emotional experience that will stay with you for days, weeks, months after you see it. It is by far the best Disney film since the likes of The Little Mermaid and The Lion King. Everything from the animation to the toe tapping musical numbers are breathtaking.

It is a heartwarming tale about sisterhood and the importance of family. Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell put in simply spellbinding performances as two sisters forced to grow up apart due to a terrible gift/curse. Menzels ensemble musical piece "Let It Go" deserves a Grammy because it is just so so so good.

I cannot recommend this film enough. Kids will love it due to Oalaf the hilarious wisecracking snowman and adults will appreciate the romance and love in the unbreakable ties asociated with family and sisterhood.

Buy Frozen and keep it forever!
1313 comments209 of 248 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 May 2014
I wasn't sure what all the hype was about but everyone seemed to be comparing it with the lion king so I was like...ok psh come on, not a chance. I sat and watched this with just having watched the let it go vid on YouTube. At first I started to become impressed with the animation. The visuals are so stunning I was very much taken back. There are a lot of " wow that looks so cool" moments. I loved the sunset on the scene where they are being chased by that huge snowman thing.

The "let it go" sequence for me almost beats the lion kings circle of life. It is such an addictive and catchy tune I simply couldn't get it out of my head and still cant. it starts off slow and builds to a point where you have your jaw on the floor.

Its a very powerful song and I am sure most should identify with her need for freedom and escaping the fear she is feeling. I loved her subtle facial expressions when she raises the castle up from the ground that really got me. she is almost saying, this is so easy, look what I can do with ice.

The lyrics are also brilliant and relatable. Insanely good singing voice that goes WAY up past the clouds with amazing energy, there is a really powerful "YEAH LETS DO THIS" feel to it. She lifts her dress up and stomps her foot down on the floor creating a huge snow flake stating that this is where she wants to stay. Then the final part where she looks at you saying "the cold never bothered me anyway" and spins around, slamming the door shut in your face. that got me more then anything in the whole movie. Its like she just gained total control and all her fear is gone. you feel relieved for her after all the insane pressure she was put under, looking after not just her baby sister but the entire realm. I love how giddy she gets and just lets it all rip. Who wouldn't want to feel like that. Both thumbs up for that song.

The ending surprised me and stirred up quite a bit of emotion for me. I'm not going to say what happens but it was a very nice little twist and refreshing from the usual story. It was a very moving part and I watched it a few times in a row. Elsa's "cry" moved me deeply, though its brief it sounds so deep and real.

the more I watch this movie the closer it gets to passing the Lion Kings position at No.1 position.

update 18/6/14 - a few MONTHS later!

OK I am now totally obsessed with this movie and it has BLASTED the lion king right off my No1 top fav Disney movie. I have tried everything to get this movie out of my veins its making me pure nuts. The thing is that there are so many different ways to see the same story. There is Anna's funny side and adventures as well as her struggle to get through to Elsa, who is just so terrified of hurting her. Elsa is so complex you could write a freakin novel about her.

Elsa's relationship with her parents is very disturbing. Besides being totally repressed and told not to be who she is or love who she is, one scene comes to mind. Anna runs up to her parents and wraps her arms around them and is embraced back. Elsa is kept at a distance in the next scene and she actually Curtsey's in front of them. No hug no nothing. I can only imagine how many big sisters feel like this, that they have to be the responsible ones and take on all the pressure. It was painful to notice that and you can see in her face how scared she is.

Has this girl ever been hugged in her life? I think that is why I think the very last hug is so important, it could be her very first one so its not surprising when she looks for more after that one. She touches Anna all the time after that and almost cant keep her hands off her. Anna is the very same with Elsa, its sweet.

The number done on her head by her parents was unbelievable. Who is so terrified of hurting others that they don't even attend their own parents funeral? That is how messed up and scared of herself Elsa is. And she never asks for thanks, you know, for giving up her entire childhood for the sake of everyone else. she doesn't get thanked either. She just gets thrown into a room and locked away from her only friend.

Another thing I noticed when she woke up, after being taken back to Arendelle, She is CHAINED to the floor?!! Who put those chains there? Did her parents actually construct those for their own daughter? that is just the darkest, creepiest thought of child abuse I have ever seen in a Disney feature. They are not your usual criminal chained cuffs, they are specifically designed to cover the entire hand. It was simply heart breaking to see her trying to get out of them when you know she terrified and needs to find Anna, or just get away from Arendelle to keep everyone safe.

Spoiler Ahead!!!!

As much as I adore Elsa's character, and oh my god I do, especially during the reuniting of the two girls (a rare occasion you see her laughing and smiling with her sister), Anna is my favourite character. She is so damn funny in some scenes and reminds me of myself a lot. I can totally relate to how frustrating and hard it is to try to help someone who just keeps shutting you out and pushing you away. I have been there myself and it takes its toll.

You don't understand why they are doing it so you just keep getting hurt over and over again, sometimes enough to keep you away for a while. But we love them so much we just keep going back to try again. We know they don't mean it. Its scary to think that it takes Anna getting killed for her to get through to Elsa. Though I have thought about this and if Elsa had not have blasted Anna in the heart she would not have froze solid and that sword would have gone straight through her and her sister.

Anna is clumsy and awkward but when it comes down to it she puts all her own needs aside and fights to reach her sister when no one else will. Tragically she seemed to have zero awareness of the feelings of her sister either. This is the reason she gets blasted the 1st (told to slow down) and 2nd time (told to leave)and gets herself killed. She is almost like the fool in the tarot deck, blinded by emotion and enthusiasm to get through to her Big sister and almost walking off a cliff, she doesn't really pay attention to what is happening around her in a realistic manner. She is too stubborn and simply wont listen to Elsa's desperate pleas, she keeps pushing and doesn't realise how stressed out Elsa is. The lack of awareness or control makes the situation so much harder for Elsa, resulting in Elsa going out of her mind and losing control. it would almost be like someone poking you in the arm and telling you to stop being who you are, over and over again. you try to tell them you cant but they just wont listen and keep poking at your arm. I would lose it too.

During the reprise scene Elsa is so desperate to get her sister out of harms way that she constructs a huge snow monster to "escort" her out the door/area and to make sure she never comes back. The reprise duet is beyond amazing, the emotion that the animators manage to put into Elsa's character for this particular part is frightening. She actually grabs her own head trying to hold on to her own sanity but ultimately ends up failing due to Anna's pestering mannerisms. You can really feel her start to lose her mind and "explode" when it becomes too much for her. I am sure everyone on the planet knows just what that feels like. Someone pressing your buttons unknowingly while you are fighting to figure out what is going on. You want to make it all stop but you cant and start to feel so crazy. Its scary, especially when others expect you to just get on with it.

Then she finally gets Anna to leave.Its so sad to see her have to do that when everyone knows all she wants is for her sister to be by her side. You remember how well they get on at the party before Elsa runs off and when they were kids. You have two best friends here that have been separated since they were kids, no explanation no nothing. They will truly do anything for each other and that's how deep their bond is.

The top subject for me in this movie is the sheer damage that can be done to kids if they are told that they are dangerous and almost punished for being who they are by being locked away from everyone with no support. Why don't they just talk to them and let them know what is going on. Don't scare the absolute sh&*e out of them and take their only friend away. Hello like?

I am very aware that this is just an animated feature for kids and these characters are fictional but I immediately related to BOTH girls and their situations and not in a small way. This was my movie, animated or not I have never felt so connected to characters like this. It actually scared me a little as to how someone could know my life so well and not even have met me I was truly blown away. I couldn't believe it when this movie came along when I was in the very same situation as Anna. Its one of those movies that when you watch it you don't feel so misunderstood and that someone out there knows the truth. No matter how many times I watch this movie (getting ridiculous at this stage)I find little extra things every time. I also feel a little less crazy and more understood.

If this same crew ever bring out a sequel I would really love to see a huge development on Elsa's character and her relationship with her sister. Elsa still has a kingdom to run and should probably be given a new friend that has similar problems. Either that or give her a nemesis that she can defend her kingdom from. Kidnap Anna and lets see how Elsa goes about it.

Best movie I have EVER SEEN animated or not. Huge two thumbs up to all involved.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse