Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.29

on 16 January 2014
I'm a big fan of Lucinda Riley's novels. As a rule, I'm not an habitual purchaser of this genre of historical family sagas, so the fact that I nevertheless devour her books and pounce on them as soon as they are published, might say something about how very good and potentially 'genre-busting' they are...

I was a bit worried, having enjoyed her previous novels so much, that The Midnight Rose might not live up to the high standard set, I was thinking (perhaps unkindly) it might be cashing in on the author's recent fame ... but it absolutely DID deliver the goods and more!

The plotting, as always, is superb, weaving between the decades with huge skill and assurance. The sections on India in the days of the British Raj are incredibly evocative and so well-researched, I was transported there in an instant. After reading The Midnight Rose, I recently overheard an interview with the author by the BBC Radio presenter Nikki Bedi, who is half-Indian herself - she remarked on how authentic the dialogue of the Indian characters sounded, and I totally agree! I also found the setting of Astbury Hall - which is being used as a film set in the modern-day parts of the book -- highly atmospheric.

All the characters past and present are mesmerising, I believed in their story arcs and became completely involved with them. I won't go into detail of the plot as I don't want to give too much away, and I'm sure other reviewers will cover the basics better than me. Suffice to say, the whole thing works beautifully on one level as a captivating story. But what I personally found particularly compelling is the way the book blends romantic fiction with some quite complex themes - yet all done without ramming them down your throat. The emotional and sociological issues that are highlighted in the book - such as racial prejudice, the pressures of family relationships, class boundaries, the nature of love, the pitfalls of wealth/celebrity, etc - are universally relevant, even in the present day. It is this element that in my opinion gives the novel a real added depth, beyond the wonderful, lush descriptions and the ingenious plot. Loved it, loved it, loved it and could not recommend more highly.
0Comment|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I’m a big fan of fiction written against a well-researched historical background and this 688 page novel delivers the tale of young Indian Anahita Chevran which weaves between her homeland and England where she is trapped at the beginning of World War I. During her time in England she spent time at Astbury Hall as the companion to Princess Indira. Lady Maud Astbury makes it quite clear that poor Anahita is an unwelcome addition to the household but with few options as an orphan, it is clear that she has to endure her time spent in this remote stately home.

In the present day Rebecca Bradley is an actress filming a period drama set in the 1920’s at Astbury Hall, in Dartmoor. Rebecca is eager to escape the press interest about her private life and so the trip to England is the perfect solution. There is a surprise in store when she becomes friendly with the resident Lord Astbury who is amazed at her likeness to his Grandmother Violet.

I can only admire Lucinda Riley’s story-telling as a large part of this story not only demanded that the historical details felt authentic, but also that the tale of Anahita’s life in India felt equally genuine and on both counts she succeeded. Although romantic attachments are key to the lives of a number of the characters there is also a dark mystery to be uncovered.

For me the power of a dual time-line novel depends on the past and the present being equally believable and although for me understanding what the truth was of Anahita’s life was what kept me reading the tie-in to the present day story was integral to the whole tale, one could simply not have existed without the other.

The pacing of this story is masterfully done, after all this is a long book yet one that I immersed myself in as letters, diaries and long-held family secrets were slowly uncovered. The central character in this book is Anahita and her character was well fleshed out although what stopped me awarding this book five stars is although there were other engaging characters including Princess Indira and Mrs Trevathan I did find a few of them quite wishy-washy but this wasn’t enough to spoil what is an epic story which beautifully contrasts different cultures, different times all wrapped up with a tale set perfectly within its time period.

I received a free copy of this book from the publishers Atria Books in return for my honest review.
on 18 January 2014
Lucinda Riley became a must-read author for me when I read her second novel The Girl On The Cliff. It blew me away, it was such an intricate, enjoyable story, and it even made me cry. Books don't always make me cry, but when they do I know they were a good read. So I was super pleased to receive a copy of her new novel The Midnight Rose, although the sheer size of it made me gasp. Coming in at just under 650 pages, it's one of the longest novels I've ever read, if not the longest. It may only be marginally smaller than a Harry Potter book! I was a bit concerned, I don't read books that are mega long, just because generally they don't hold my attention, but, actually, the only reminder of the sheer size of The Midnight Rose was the effect it was having on my thumb. It is now numb and I can't feel it, and feel like I will never recover the feeling.

The Midnight Rose is quite the epic tale, but at its heart it is the story of Anahita Chavan, who at the grand old age of 100 knows that time is running out for her. She will soon be joining her contemporaries in heaven, or the Indian equivalent, and so she entrusts in her great-grandson Ari the tale of her life, asking him that, when he is ready, he will try and find out what happened to her son, Moh. She was told he died at the age of three, but Anahita never really believed that, and when Ari rocks up at Astbury Hall, where Rebecca Bradley is busy filming her new movie, they both become embroiled in the tale of Anahita Chavan, and the Astbury's. A tale that spans generations and contains many secrets which are about to come to the fore.

Lucinda Riley is one of the most accomplished storytellers I will ever come across, and reading her work again has reminded me again of how much I adore her writing. She really manages to suck you in to so many different stories, and in this case it was the two: Anahita Chavan's story, which is immense. Set in India, and England, it spans such a long time and was so sumptuous and enjoyable, it's not a part of life I know of, I very rarely read books set in different time periods to today, but I found myself drawn into Anahita's story in such a way that I felt like I, too, was living it right alongside her. From her friendship with Indira, an Indian princess, to her life in England, and her life at Astbury Hall, I was so desperate for her to get a happy ending, and it was good to see that even at 100, she was still competent enough to be so wise and wordy. If I live to be that age, I would love to be just like Anahita. Then there was the modern day tale of Rebecca Bradley, famous actress, who has come to Astbury Hall to film her new movie and ends up digging into Astbury's history, especially as the hall's owner Lord Anthony thinks she's the spitting image of his grandmother, Violet. There, she and Ari work to find out just what did happen to Anahita at Astbury, and what became of her son, Moh, and it is fantastic.

I totally admire Lucinda Riley. She managed to write a 650 page epic novel, and kept me enticed the entire time. I was never bored whilst reading The Midnight Rose, and I kept wanting to go back to it and read more, and more, and more. It was fascinating. It had so many wonderful strands and it all unfolded in such a delightful way that I couldn't get enough. I adored getting to know the characters, and I loved learning more about a time that I don't really know about, and it was yet another novel partly-set in India, which I'm learning to love more and more with every book I read. I would love to visit and see if these palaces still exist today, because they sound magnificent. The sheer volume of the novel may scare people off, but it's absolutely worth its weight in gold, Lucinda Riley really does give you good value for money and I loved every page. It was superb, and I admire Lucinda Riley for pulling it off, she is just an amazing storyteller, and I can't wait for her next book!
on 24 February 2014
Spanning across an entire century and two continents, The Midnight Rose makes for an epic tale, and consists of two intersecting stories cleverly woven together. Anahita Chavan is a young Indian girl who finds herself as companion to Indira, a rather spoiled but enigmatic Princess. Just ahead of World War 1 breaking out the two travel over to England to attend boarding school, where Anahita crosses paths with the Astbury family, her life thereafter changing forever. In present day England, Hollywood starlet Rebecca Bradley finds herself filming a period piece at the charmingly old-fashioned and dated Astbury Hall; yet it soon becomes apparent that the Hall has a tragic past, and when Ari Malik, a dashing young Indian man comes calling eager to put together the missing pieces of a family mystery, Rebecca finds herself becoming more and more involved in helping uncover the dark secrets of the past.

Lucinda Riley certainly knows how to spin a good tale, her stories always ambitious in scope; and it is fair to say The Midnight Rose is probably her most aspiring yet. Certainly she seems to have done her research; and in particular paints a vivid picture of India in the early 1900s, her depictions of the Royal Palaces and life within the Zenanas quite brilliantly brought to life. She also excels in highlighting the marked contrast between the two continents in all respects, from the sights and smells to the differences in culture and people; whilst also depicting the common parallels. Personally I have to say I probably found the first half of the story set mostly in India more enjoyable, purely for the insight it gave and the vibrancy with which it was depicted; Anahita's later story in England seeming more familiar material and less arresting as a result.

As with all Riley's novels this is a dual time narrative, with the use of diaries as a link between the two time frames; and as with all her previous novels the past story is much more engrossing than the present. Indeed for this reason it takes a while to get into the story, and I personally found Riley rather dragged out the subplot of Rebecca's strained relationship with her A-list celebrity boyfriend. Still the present day story did get more interesting with some rather weird goings on at Astbury Hall; though perhaps a little too weird towards the end, Riley sometimes having a tendency towards the over dramatic.

Anahita makes for an engaging heroine, sensitive, mature and insightful; her story a tragic one and even though she's not perfect , some of the decisions she makes not quite fitting her saintly and wise image, it is easy to feel for her and the prejudices and barriers she faces I think are realistic ones for the time period. Unfortunately a lot of the other characters are not as fleshed out or layered as Anahita; though I did like her friend Princess Indira, even though she could be selfish and spoiled at times. Donald, whilst he was certainly manipulated and controlled by his mother, I personally felt was too wishy-washy and passive; and for some reason the central love story simply seemed too contrived to me. I don't think it helped that the love triangle set up was too similar to the one Riley employed in Hothouse Flower. Also certain aspects of the plot were very predictable.

Overall an engaging if undemanding read; perhaps a little formulaic and contrived in places, and I do think Riley has a tendency towards the soap-operatic compared to other authors of the genre, however, highly enjoyable nonetheless.
on 8 May 2014
An enjoyable read although the coincidences were perhaps too contrived. Good characterisation and effective creation of atmosphere. Just a little too neatly finished..
Sometimes I need a good dollop of escapism in my reading material, especially during the dreary Winter months when sunshine is in short supply. Fortunately I had The Midnight Rose, Lucinda Riley's latest novel, to keep me entertained when the Christmas festivities had fizzled out.

This is the story of Anni (Anahita) Chavan, a tale which spans four generations and two continents. As Anni celebrates her 100th birthday in Darjeeling, India, surrounded by her extended family, she decides to entrust her great-grandson, Ari, with the task of uncovering long buried family secrets - secrets which will lead him to Astbury Hall and the staid world of the English aristocracy.

As the novel progresses, we see the vivid colours of India at the height of the Raj; a warm, vibrant setting which contrasts sharply with the cold, reserved atmosphere which awaits Anni when she comes to England. The characters are larger than life, particularly the strong women in the shape of Anni and her nemesis, Lady Maud Astbury.

The Midnight Rose is a thoroughly entertaining read which will appeal to those who enjoy historical sagas in the style of Barbara Taylor Bradford and Lesley Pearse and perhaps fans of Downton Abbey. Yes, there are a few predictable elements but there's no doubt Ms Riley can spin a good yarn to keep her readers captivated.
on 8 May 2014
not quite as good as her previous books not one I would reread .I waited a while for this book.
hope her next one is more indepth and not so flippant as the main character seemed at times, its ok for a summer quick read.
on 3 March 2016
Midnight Rose – Lucinda Riley

I admit I had never heard of Lucinda Riley and therefore had never read any of her books. My favourite author is Barbra Erskine and Amazon suggested that if readers liked Erskine then they may like Lucinda Riley. So I bought Midnight Rose expecting to go on a chilling, supernatural journey.

Riley is most certainly a talented writer and similar to Erskine in as much as there are stories going on in different time periods (and completely different countries) leaving the reader wondering how on Earth the characters will meet and their lives entwine.

There are extraordinary highs in this book that will lift your heart but my goodness there are such sad parts that will leave you with a large lump in your throat. You feel so much for the young Anahita, she endures so much in her life and makes many sacrifices that you so want her to have her own happy ever after.

Midnight Rose is a tale of love, life, friendship, family, loss, class and so much more. There is a brief acknowledgement to the supernatural but only in as much as our heroine hears beautiful singing when a death is coming and this gift has been passed down to grand-son Ari.

This book is powerful and emotional and I enjoyed it immensely. I will certainly read another Lucinda Riley book. My only disappointment (and this has nothing to do with the author to be fair) is that, due to Amazon’s suggested similarities to Erskine, I assumed the book would be chilling and haunting in a way that only Erskine can write. I got halfway through Midnight Rose and was wondering when the goosebumps were going to make an appearance. Once I realized that Amazon was linking the two authors because of their attention to historical events and linking characters from present day to previous years, I let go of the notion that anything supernatural was going to happen, and was able to appreciate and enjoy the story for what it was, and not what I imagined it to be.

I must just add that the end, when Ari is told that Anahita made a great professional friend in Dr Noah - I thought that was absolutely fantastic writing at its best and what a great twist!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 26 January 2014
After being a bit disappointed in the author's previous book, I began this latest one with a little trepidation. Thankfully I need not have worried, this was back on form, and after a bit of a slow start, it soon became enthralling. It was one of those books whfere you race to finish it, desperate to know what happens, and at the same time you don't want it to end. I felt almost bereft when it ended, such was the involvement with the fascinating characters.
In the present day, a young American actress Rebecca Bradley arrives in England to make a film at Astbury Hall. She enjoys the remoteness of the hall as there is a media frenzy surrounding her engagement to another film star. Meanwhile in India, businessman Ari realises how little he has in his life after his girlfriend leaves him, and he comes to England after a ten year old promise to delve into his great grandmother's past.
The past story is more fascinating, although both threads are easy to read and enjoyable. One hundred years ago in India, Annahita Chavan became companion to Princess Indira after her own father's death. This leads the girls to England to be educated, and to Astbury Hall when war breaks out and they cannot return to India. What follows is an epic tale that covers many years, and a search for a missing loved one.
With a host of likeable characters, and some rather unpleasant ones, this is a thoroughly enjoyable story. I was particularly moved by the sad coincidence in the epilogue, but to say more would spoil this fabulous story. It is a sad tale, which shows what devastating consequences can arise from a silly prejudice.
Go out and buy it, a really lovely, moving story.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 January 2014
Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy via netgalley.

An epic saga of two remarkable women and two love stories spanning the years from 1920s India to modern-day England. In the gilded years before World War I, Anahita is a bright and curious Indian girl who never thought she would come to England. But as the companion to a royal princess, she is given rare access to a world of privilege and is sent to an English boarding school. When she meets young Lord Donald Astbury, they share a special bond that is only made stronger by their harrowing wartime experiences. Pressured by his family to marry Violet, an American heiress, Lord Astbury must say good-bye to a love that will haunt him for the rest of his life

I don't actually read a lot of Historical/saga Fiction although I have been getting far more into it lately, this particular story was compelling and beautiful and had me hooked right from the start.

Rebecca Bradley, an American Actress, is on location in England at Astbury Hall - the owner, Lord Anthony Astbury is stunned by her strong resemblance to his Grandmother Violet. When Rebecca finds some old papers written by an Indian girl who visited Astbury Hall back in the twenties, an age old love affair comes to light.

I adored the characters in this novel - Annie particularly. So real and yet ethereal, their story is a compelling one. The parts of the book set in India were very beautifully described and the sense of an era was extraordinarily well done. And this author is not afraid to write an epic - this is a long book but there are no wasted moments, every word paints a picture.

I'm not usually a fan of love stories either, it has to be said that I usually find romance on the page to be rather over dramatic - in this case however, it was fascinating to see a world where two people are torn apart by the very circumstances of their birth - and its all quite emotional. There is the odd twist in the tale, not everything is expected and frankly I loved every minute of it.

I simply must seek out more novels from Lucinda Riley...Very soon.

Happy Reading Folks!