on 5 March 2015
I purchased this to replace a 5 year old TomTom that I had passed down the food chain to my daughter.

The screen is clear and easy to read, It automatically switches to night time colours. They are the good points.

Locally it always directs me to drive two sides of a triangle when there is a direct route on a good road which is much quicker. When I disobey the satnav and take the quicker route it recalculates and gives me a reduce ETA.

On a recent visit to Cornwall it directed me down a very small single track road rather than stay on the parallel A road! On my return journey from Cornwall I choose to take the A30 over Bodmin moor. The SatNav wanted to go on the A38 through Plymouth which I know is a slower route. The nuvi kept recalculating the route constantly wanting me to go miles out of my way to get back to the A38. When eventually it gave up and settled on my chosen route the ETA dropped by 40 minutes!!!!!!

In London it directed me to leave the road I was on turn left on to a side road then right then right agin back to the road I was on in the first place.

I would not recommend anyone to buy it until the route planning is fixed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 7 March 2015
I really dislike this SatNav. I bought it to replace a 6 year old TomTom that stopped charging, and thought it'd be a safe bet as Which made it a Best Buy. They are wrong - do not buy this.

Despite being new it lacks some basic features that my old one did really well:
- You cannot navigate to a town centre, it demands you choose a street before you can plan a route. This is hopeless, I ended up picking a street at random and then using road signs, but this can mean you go to the wrong side of town or even take completely the wrong route.
- You cannot plot a route from A to B, only from where you are to where you want to be. I often want to try out a route to see how long it'd take etc, but Garmin don't make that possible.

Which brings me onto the other MAJOR issue - the time estimation algorithm is hopeless. It seems to assume you can do 30mph in towns (regardless of traffic lights, roundabouts etc) and 60mph on country roads (regardless of bends, incline etc). It reliably underestimated journey time by at least 10%, and often by 10 minutes in the hour, unless the whole route was on motorways. I contacted Garmin about this soon after I bought it and they said it would learn from my driving habits what average speed to use on different roads. Well that's useless since I use a SatNav on roads I haven't used before, not on routes I know, and anyway after using it for a year it was just as bad, so that was either a lie or just plain ineffective.

I tried really hard to get on with it, but it went on eBay last week and I replaced it with a TomTom that works like a dream.
on 11 August 2015
Wow, we have used this for two long trips, and it took us so far out of the way it was unreal, we had to give up with it in the end. To test it we then typed in a postcode that we know, about 10 minutes drive, very straight forward. It took us on a 25 minute trip and still never actually found the address we had typed in??On the usual route you basically just stick to 3 main roads, 3 roundabouts and you arrive. Using this it decided to take us on a loop of a whole industrial estate, around an entire town, and then just for fun, back around the industrial estate again? In reality, after 3 main roads you come to a roundabout, turn left and you arrive....so why it bypassed this roundabout to tour an entire town and industrial estate is a complete mystery....absolute rubbish, never again!!
on 27 December 2014
Great interface and much more user friendly and easy to use than tomtom, but unfortunrtly maps are not accurate, voice sounds really bad and turn by turn not as good as tomtom.
Gave wrong directions, and didnt take me to the right destination, Item returned and bought a tomtom.
on 7 May 2015
Ordinary names are so badly pronounced that it is distracting. For example, Christchurch becomes Chrisschurch, Amersham becomes a-MERsham. I understand from Garmin that the speech is computer-generated and that no-one checks for accuracy.
on 9 April 2015
excellant i live in the south west and i asked it to take me to a hard to find place and it completed the task with no problems,i like the size of the screen any bigger and it would be too big for the dashboard,iv also bought an aluminium carry case to keep it secure also from amazon,
on 21 June 2014
I bought this having used a Tomtom for so many years that it was badly out of date. As it is usual these days to include lifetime updates of maps, I felt it was better to buy a new unit and benefit from the free updates rather than invest in a new set of maps. Having done my research, the Garmin came out best overall so I bought one.

Initially I had problems setting it up so contacted Garmin by email. I am still waiting for a reply to that.
I therefore rang them and, after a considerable amount of waiting was little the wiser.
Customer service is not in their dictionary I'm afraid.

I did get it working and set off for Cornwall where all was well until I ventured off the A roads : I often found myself driving up roads barely wide enough for the car. Thinking this was because of the nature if the roads in Cornwall, I checked with a map and found perfectly useable roads which had been ignored by the Garmin. The icing on the cake was when, on our return journey, it took us off the 70 mph dual carriageway and sent us via another set of cart tracks only to rejoin the same dual carriageway some time later!

Thinking I had set it incorrectly, I set it for the fastest route instead of the shortest route which it was set to do.

I then set out for East Anglia where it again sent us up another set of cart tracks when perfectly useable roads were available. It even took us to Cromer by road then returned us to our holiday cottage via a route best suited to a troop of intrepid boy scouts with survival rations. We eventually checked its every move by checking on a printed map which, in my humble opinion, rather defeats the object of having a satnav.

Tomorrow I will buy a real satnav, probably one with Tomtom in the title.
Today I will either attack the Garmin with a hammer or set fire to it.

Be warned : it is useless.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 16 February 2015
Don't buy a Garmin. The customer services is the most appalling I've ever experienced, and it is impossible to download any extra features. Customer services operators are condescending, unhelpful and extremely anxious to get you off the phone so they can move on. Avoid like the plague.
on 6 January 2015
Good, clear screen and fairly easy to set up. The menus not as intuitive as they might be; a copy of the manual in one hand and the satnav in the other probably the best way to approach it. Pickup of satellites was quick, at least here in the wilds of Wales.

In use, for a basic model, it is helpful although the maps that come with it are not up-to-date. Even after updating to the latest version of maps, I found a dual-carriageway bypass during a journey that had been open at least a year that wasn't shown - the Garmin thought I was driving across fields. Also, some speed limits were wrong (usually higher than the ones actually in force). Don't rely on this to save you from speeding fines! Having said that, the speed you're actually travelling at was shown very accurately.

On the same subject, the POI file containing speed camera information was woefully out of date and was a chargeable update. It warns about one fixed speed camera near me which was burnt to the ground by some irate motorist more than 8 years ago and never replaced. It also warns about speed camera areas where mobile cameras are known to lurk. Unfortunately, it doesn't just do this once, it beeps all the way through the area without any method I have found for silencing it short of muting all sound including directions that you may want.

There are apparently speed camera files available for free download from the internet. Perhaps they are more up to date - I haven't tried them yet!

The directions are clear and the voice (a female one so far) quite pleasant. The lane assist on motorways I thought particularly clear and accurate. If you deviate from the route chosen by the satnav, it recalculates very quickly though it does insist on trying to get you back onto the original route, often for many miles at each available junction. More thought on entering the route, complete with waypoints on the way you want to go, is necessary to avoid this.

The 5" screen is a reasonable size and one of the clearest I have seen. Depending on where it is mounted in the car, you will probably not find it easy to read the detail though, especially if you normally wear reading glasses. If possible try before you buy.

The mount (a suction device) is fairly easy to attach to the windscreen or other smooth surface. Detaching the satnav from its mount is an acquired knack - it can sometimes be easier to take the whole thing, mount included, off.

Altogether, a good device and value for money. If you don't need the bells and whistles of dearer satnavs, take a good look at this one.
on 10 August 2014
I bought this sat nav to go on holiday in France. I found it very easy to set up, in fact all you do is take it out the box and switch it on and within 1 minute it found the GPS signal and was ready to go. It was easy to update just follow the instructions to download the garmin programme to your pc and plug it in via USB cable supplied with sat nav and click on update. However it does take quite a while and i will need to buy a micro sd card in the future to store further updates. The unit is very slim and is easy to store. I found it incredibly easy to input destinations and change settings. Also found it very accurate we had no problems getting round France. My main criticism is the battery life is not amazing but I have found that with most sat navs. Overall very happy.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...