Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Black Friday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

on 5 March 2015
I purchased this to replace a 5 year old TomTom that I had passed down the food chain to my daughter.

The screen is clear and easy to read, It automatically switches to night time colours. They are the good points.

Locally it always directs me to drive two sides of a triangle when there is a direct route on a good road which is much quicker. When I disobey the satnav and take the quicker route it recalculates and gives me a reduce ETA.

On a recent visit to Cornwall it directed me down a very small single track road rather than stay on the parallel A road! On my return journey from Cornwall I choose to take the A30 over Bodmin moor. The SatNav wanted to go on the A38 through Plymouth which I know is a slower route. The nuvi kept recalculating the route constantly wanting me to go miles out of my way to get back to the A38. When eventually it gave up and settled on my chosen route the ETA dropped by 40 minutes!!!!!!

In London it directed me to leave the road I was on turn left on to a side road then right then right agin back to the road I was on in the first place.

I would not recommend anyone to buy it until the route planning is fixed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 August 2015
Wow, we have used this for two long trips, and it took us so far out of the way it was unreal, we had to give up with it in the end. To test it we then typed in a postcode that we know, about 10 minutes drive, very straight forward. It took us on a 25 minute trip and still never actually found the address we had typed in??On the usual route you basically just stick to 3 main roads, 3 roundabouts and you arrive. Using this it decided to take us on a loop of a whole industrial estate, around an entire town, and then just for fun, back around the industrial estate again? In reality, after 3 main roads you come to a roundabout, turn left and you why it bypassed this roundabout to tour an entire town and industrial estate is a complete mystery....absolute rubbish, never again!!
on 22 August 2015
i bought one of these about a year ago back when they were much more expensive. it has never worked. and despite coming with a year warranty, garmin have continuously avoided taking responsibility. first they took it back to fix (i paid the recorded mail costs of 20 pounds). but it didn't work when it was returned. i then had repeated exchanges with them. initially they refused to do anything -saying that they no longer serviced the particular model despite it still being well within the warranty. they finally agreed to replace it, but then after i sent it back, they sent an email back just saying they couldn't fix it so would send it back to me as was. i couldn't believe it. far from being a warranty, it seems like faulty devices are the customer's responsibility. (in case you anyone from garmin reads this - there was an individual in your customer services called samantha who was particularly unhelpful, though she did keep offering to help and sending me the a customer services feedback form!) anyway the lesson is, don't buy from garmin. they may be good devices, but it's quite risky if they don't work as there doesn't seem much that can be done.
on 7 March 2015
I really dislike this SatNav. I bought it to replace a 6 year old TomTom that stopped charging, and thought it'd be a safe bet as Which made it a Best Buy. They are wrong - do not buy this.

Despite being new it lacks some basic features that my old one did really well:
- You cannot navigate to a town centre, it demands you choose a street before you can plan a route. This is hopeless, I ended up picking a street at random and then using road signs, but this can mean you go to the wrong side of town or even take completely the wrong route.
- You cannot plot a route from A to B, only from where you are to where you want to be. I often want to try out a route to see how long it'd take etc, but Garmin don't make that possible.

Which brings me onto the other MAJOR issue - the time estimation algorithm is hopeless. It seems to assume you can do 30mph in towns (regardless of traffic lights, roundabouts etc) and 60mph on country roads (regardless of bends, incline etc). It reliably underestimated journey time by at least 10%, and often by 10 minutes in the hour, unless the whole route was on motorways. I contacted Garmin about this soon after I bought it and they said it would learn from my driving habits what average speed to use on different roads. Well that's useless since I use a SatNav on roads I haven't used before, not on routes I know, and anyway after using it for a year it was just as bad, so that was either a lie or just plain ineffective.

I tried really hard to get on with it, but it went on eBay last week and I replaced it with a TomTom that works like a dream.
on 7 May 2015
Ordinary names are so badly pronounced that it is distracting. For example, Christchurch becomes Chrisschurch, Amersham becomes a-MERsham. I understand from Garmin that the speech is computer-generated and that no-one checks for accuracy.
on 27 December 2014
Great interface and much more user friendly and easy to use than tomtom, but unfortunrtly maps are not accurate, voice sounds really bad and turn by turn not as good as tomtom.
Gave wrong directions, and didnt take me to the right destination, Item returned and bought a tomtom.
on 9 April 2015
excellant i live in the south west and i asked it to take me to a hard to find place and it completed the task with no problems,i like the size of the screen any bigger and it would be too big for the dashboard,iv also bought an aluminium carry case to keep it secure also from amazon,
on 10 June 2015
I resisted buying a Sat Nav for so long because I thought they were too complicated to use. How wrong I was. Easy to set up, this touch screen model is really easy to operate, has clear directions and gets me to where I want to go. The suction is secure but it's also easy to take down when I've finished with it. Overall it's really excellent value.
on 16 July 2015
very impressed with this product. Bought for my father in law who is 70+
but, the initial setup was easy, nice big screen and he found it easy to work. Voice commands loud enough and picture is clear. Has nice additional
features including favourite addresses and "Home" button. Even better that it has free lifetime maps.
on 20 July 2015
wasn't sure about which one to try so after reading several reviews about different ones i decided to opt for this one.
first impressions -came well packaged-easy to program addresses,easy to operate,sturdy,voice options,easy to navigate round.
draw backs- battery could maybe last a bit longer when charged(only a minor detail) other than that can't find any.
would highly recommend and definately glad i purchased this one.
love the way the voice tries to pronounce some road names,gives me a laugh on what can be a odious journey sometime