4.5 out of 5 stars3,558
Style Name: Device OnlyChange

on 16 June 2014
I've always used a traditional approach to hard skin on my feet. I usually soak them, dry them, then sit rubbing them with a foot file or pumice stone. It's worked for me, and I didn't see any reason to change my method. Until I tried the Scholl Velvet Smooth Express Pedi.

I was quite excited to receive it, and my first pleasant suprise was how easy it was to get out of the packaging, which sounds a minor detail but as this product would be really useful for elderly people, I think it's worth mentioning that they won't struggle to even get it out of the packet.

It's a very simple product - you put in AA batteries, then turn the silver ring on the handle and it whizzes into action. Just hold the spinning bar against your hard skin and watch it fly off in a fine white dust.

It's beyond easy, and can be used on dry feet so no need to soaking which means I can do my feet daily if I want or need to, keeping them super-soft and gorgeous all the time.

I found the comfortable ergonomic handle really nice to use, and although I'm very flexible, it was nice not to have to bed so much as when using a foot file - the extra length provided by the handle means it would be great for people with mobility problems such as the eldery or someone pregnant.

It's also a very manly device. In blue and silver, it's not girly, and my husband was happy to grab it and give it a go - "it's like a power tool for feet!" he said, which I think is a positive vote.

Yes, it seems pricey at first, at around £40 (although it's on offer on Amazon at the moment), but as it can be used safely by all the family, will last forever apart from occasional changes of the rotating bar, and is extremely portable, it is definitely worth it.

Mine has earned a permanent place in my bathroom, and my poor foot file is feeling rather neglected.

Easy and quick to use
Attractive item in non-gender-specific colours
Good for people with mobility/flexibility issues

Initial cost

Overall, I'd definitely recommend the Scholl Velvet Smooth Express Pedi.
on 11 July 2014
Excellent product. The only problem is that it sends skin flying everywhere. So do it outside or cover with a towel
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Style Name: Device OnlyVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Over the years I've bought and reviewed hard skin removers and I've received a few of these devices to test and review from Amazon. So I have a little experience of the benefits of these machines.

They all are much of the same BUT I guarantee that when you actually get one and use it you too will be amazed at just how good the results are

I have hard skin on my feet.
When you reach a certain age this is one of the things you develop along with.... Well I don't need to go into that here do I??

I was quite frankly amazed with the results.
After singing the praises of this machine I persuaded my wife to try it.

Now she does have hard skin from years of Badminton, squash and sports.
The results were excellent also so we are both converts to this form of getting hard skin from your feet.

So when offered the Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover I was very interested as most of the others have been Emjo machines.

So this review may be slightly different from others in that I actually am comparing hard skin removers from different companies.

The first thing you notice is that they actually operate on the same principle.
The coarse covered roller is powered by a battery and spins.
You hold it by the handle and apply to your foot's hard skin.
the machine is similar to the Emjo and works well.
Really well.

You will be amazed at the cloud of 'dust' which comes off the soles of your feet.

And compared to the Emjo it works just as well.
Where the Emjo has the edge, if you will pardon my pun, is that the Emjo come with two rollers with differing coarseness. So you can pick and chose but have two for the price of one.
Scholl have missed a trick here maybe?

Now a few tips from an old pro.

1. To get the best results you should wash your feet well first- this gets rid of a lot of stuff and lets the dog see the rabbit so to speak.
In other words soap and water are a heck of a lot cheaper than the roller replacements.
If you can get rid of a whole lot of hard skin easily before this means you are not wasting the rollers life and in a way your own by time.
Make sure you really dry the feet before using the rollers

2. Don't press too hard- this only slows the rollers and makes the motor groan like a 'past its sell by date Zeppelin'.

3. Apply gentle and I do mean gentle pressure ensures the roller really smoothes the hard skin.
Let the machine do the work for you.
It's just like going for a professional manicure. You don't file your nails down you let her do her job. Likewise you let the machine do its job.

4. A warning- there's dust! A fine cloud of...... well let's face it.. it is `you', your dust that is given off so make sure you do it somewhere where bits of you won't clog up stuff? Over the bath/toilet/bidet seems fine.

5. It says you can clean the rollers and machine with water under the tap.
I think an old toothbrush ensures a good clean and makes the rollers last longer.

6. Don't waste money by buying a replacement set of rollers until you have actually tried the machine.
Refills cost under a tenner for two from Amazon at the time of writing.
Scholl Velvet Smooth Pedi Hard Skin Remover Refills
I think they are brilliant but some may not.

Think of all those bread machines that people bought and stored away?

All in all?
This is a machine that works a whole lot better than the old emery board methods.
It produces faster and MUCH BETTER results.
It is Ultra safe when compare to those old razor bladed 'safety' cutters.
It's a whole lot easier to use than fiddly boards where you may not be able to see your soles.
If you intend wearing sandals and are concerned about the appearance of your feet then this is the machine for you.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 June 2015
I am 44. Prior to owning and using this product I had always considered my feet to be hooves. Now they are beautifully smooth, and resemble a human foot. I wish I had used this product earlier! Fabulous stuff.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Style Name: Device OnlyVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Prior to trying this, I was using the more expensive Emjoi Micro-Pedi Professional. I had high hopes for the Scholl branded version but it's nowhere near as good as the Emjoi. Let me explain...

The unit itself is sturdy and ergonomic so it feels comfortable to hold and manoeuvre. There's one speed setting (Emjoi Professional has two but I tend to only use the high setting anyway) and the rollers are easy to change: there's a little switch at the side that you push which will allow you to pull the roller out or push back in. It's a larger & heavier unit compared to the Emjoi Professional (about 3.5cm longer) and it takes 4x AA batteries compared to 3x AAA for the Emjoi Professional.

The device makes a lot of noise - the Emjoi Professional is much quieter. On top of this, the fine skin dust flies absolutely everywhere: inhaling it is unavoidable (unless you have a mask) The Emjoi Professional is so much better here, I think because only half of the roller is actually exposed so it stops all the skin flying upwards and does a good job of directing skin flakes downwards. The other thing is, the roller on the Scholl, doesn't do as good a job as the standard Emjoi roller. The Scholl feels coarser and I've found it's just not as effective in buffing away dry skin. You need to spend more time with the roller over a couple of sessions, to get the same kind of results you get with the Emjoi Professional in one short session.

The Scholl isn't bad overall and I think 2 stars would have been too stingy - but there is something so much better on the market. Personally if it was a choice between the Scholl and a foot file, I would much rather have the Scholl - it's going to make lighter work of buffing and if you've got really dry, coarse skin on your feet you'll be there for ages with a manual foot file. But a choice between the Scholl and the Emjoi Professional, I would choose Emjoi every time. It's quieter, there's far less skin flying around and it does a great job of buffing away dry skin. For really soft feet, I also recommend using foot cream after using whichever Pedi device you have (I recommend Scholl dry skin instant recovery cream)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 June 2014
When the Scholl Express Pedi arrived on my doorstep, I was quite surprised by the size of it - much bigger than a simple foot file and more technical to look at. I admit I was a bit scared about using it. I was really worried that I would press too hard or even overuse it, and end up taking off to much skin. Ouch!
So tentatively, I opened up the packaging and set to work. It comes with batteries included and is pretty much ready to use. I switched it on and the roller head started to rotate at speed. I put it against my very cracked heel and was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't as 'hardcore' as I thought it was going to be. In fact if you do press too hard it actually slows down so it's actually pretty difficult to over do it. The instructions do say not to do the same area for more than 3 or 4 seconds so I used that as a handy guide to go by.
Now I am always on my feet and as a result, my feet must have some serious issues, judging by the foot dust (TMI!) that came off but I just did it over a bin to try and minimise the mess which did the trick. Immediately after use, my feet felt immediately much smooth but as my heels were covered in dust it was hard to tell how well it had worked. As it was just before my shower, I just jumped in and had a wash but a quick rinse would have sufficed. Once dried off I had another look at my feet and the difference was incredible. Where before I had unattractive, visibly cracked, dead skin, there was now lovely smooth, soft and very touchable skin! Quite a notable improvement, as the pics will show.
I was also sent Scholl Velvet Smooth Intense Serum and even though my feet felt softer than they had in ages, I rubbed the serum into my heels. It felt a bit sticky initially but once it had absorbed properly, my feet felt lovely and soft. Using it straight after, it absorbed deeper into the skin, really making it work harder. As a result, my feet felt soft and smooth for a lot longer than they normally do, just using a foot file.
I am really pleased with how these items work, and very impressed with how they work in conjunction to keep your feet softer for longer. Plus, the Express Pedi is currently at a really good price so now is definitely the time to stock up. After seeing first hand how well the system works, I certainly will be!
I received this product from BzzAgent for reviewing purposes.
on 16 June 2014
I was really excited to get the opportunity to try out the Scholl Express Pedi foot system via BzzAgent.

I do not have particularly great feet, I suffer from extremely hard skin on my heels and normal foot files are just not tough enough to handle my hooves!!

I find that it takes forever to file my feet to a reasonable standard, and just ends up leaving me with aching hands from gripping the file so hard for so long.

When I took my Express Pedi out of the box, I was impressed by the packaging. The curves of the plastic blister pack echo the curves of the file itself and the colours are eye catching without being gaudy. The blue and yellow accents on the packaging make it easy to see at a glance that it is a Scholl product and makes you aware that you have a quality item.

The file itself is fairly tasteful, blue and white and it is nicely shaped and doesn’t look like a torture device, which is always a good start!

The file felt sturdy in my hand, with a good weight to it which made it feel like it wasn’t going to break or be flimsy and fragile. It wasn’t so heavy as to be uncomfortable, and was pleasant to hold and grip as the handle has a soft touch non slip feel to it. The handle is shaped nicely and sits well in your hand, even if you have relatively small hands as I do.

There is a protective cap over the file head, which is good for both hygiene purposes and to keep the grit on the head from scratching anything when it is placed down or put away. This cap is a little loose though, and does have a tendency to fall off which is a little annoying.

The file itself felt nice and coarse, like it would be enough to make a difference to really hard skin, but it was very evenly textured, so felt like it wouldn’t snag or tear the skin.

The file is easy to operate, just twist to turn on and off and the noise when it is on is not offensively loud, I would say comparable to an electric toothbrush, maybe a little louder but not as loud as a hairdryer.

The file is really easy to use, just turn it on, and apply an even pressure while sweeping the file over the hard skin in order to remove it quickly and painlessly. I found that finding the optimum pressure to use was a doddle, if you press too hard the file head will not rotate properly, so you cannot easily hurt yourself with the device. It is a really easy object to manoeuvre, just passing the file over the areas of hard skin moving with the direction of the rotations.

You can see immediately that the file is working, as the hard dead skin comes off in a fine powder. I would advise using the file either on a hard floor such as in the bathroom where the little piles of skin (lovely!) can be cleaned up easily, or over a newspaper or old towel to collect all the mess. I did wonder how much dead skin I was inhaling, but it’s probably no more than a traditional file, it just comes off quicker. Depending on how hard the skin on your feet is, there may be quite a pile of powder when you are done!

I found that it only took a couple of minutes to file each foot and all the hard cracked sin was gone. Using the pedi express file was easily three times quicker for me than using a regular manual file, if not more. I also did not end up with stiff or aching hands, as the device is so light and easy to hold. Due to the rotations of the file and the ease with which you can use it, I found it was so easy to file my feet evenly as well, without any sore spots from over filing or any missed areas that remain hard.
Once I have worn out the head of the file, it can easily be replaced, meaning that I don’t have to purchase a whole new unit and the fact that the file runs on regular batteries means it is cheap to run and convenient to purchase the power supply for it. It may be worth Scholl considering making a rechargeable version however, with either a USB charger or one to plug in to a shaver socket, just because I think this would be a more economical and easier way to power it.

Once I was done with filing my feet, I finished off with the Velvet Smooth Intense Serum. The serum is contained in an easy to use dispenser, and a small amount in the palm of your hand is enough to cover a whole foot. The serum smells really pleasant, a clean and not over perfumed scent and the texture is smooth and silky not at all greasy or heavy. The serum spread easily and evenly over my feet and absorbed really quickly so I did not have to worry about walking around with sticky, greasy feet! The serum left my feet feeling extra soft and smooth and felt like it was really hydrating for my skin.

I would highly recommend the Scholl Express Pedi and will certainly be repurchasing the replacement file heads and the serum.
on 15 June 2014
I was sent this product for free to review along with the Scholl Velvet Smooth Intense Serum. I was initially sceptical as I had tried similar foot file products in the past and had not really felt that they had made that much of a difference. It is worth noting that I don't generally pay much attention to my feet, but despite this I don't think that they are that bad.

The product itself was quite weighty, a lot heavier than I expected, and I switched it on to try and was immediately a little taken aback and apprehensive about the noise that it made. It was quite loud which made me a little bit wary about taking it to my feet. Due to the size and shape of the product it made certain areas of my feet quite hard to get at, namely the outside of my heels, especially when sitting on the floor.

Once I started to use the file I had quite mixed feelings. It created quite a lot of dust, which made me think that it was obviously doing the job intended, and there were noticeable differences to the balls of my feet and the outside edges of my feet at the front. With regard to my heels, it took longer than the recommended 3-4 seconds to reduce the hardened skin, and compared to other members of my family, my feet aren't that bad!! I could feel a difference to the softness of my skin, but it still felt like there was more work to do.

When used in conjunction with the velvet smooth intense serum my feet did feel a lot softer, and this effect lasted a good 48 hours. I noticed that the effects lasted less when I had spent a lot of time wearing flip flops and sandals compared with regular shoes or trainers, but I wonder whether regular use of the product over a period of time would elicit longer lasting results as it would be a case of maintenance rather than initial treatments. With regard to the velvet smooth intense serum, I felt that the instructions could have ben more specific, particularly regarding the amount to use as I ended up with a lot more than I needed the first time around and had to spend a long time massaging my feet to work it all in!

I have used similar products before and not had very good results, so on that basis I would definitely recommend this electronic foot file over other brands and models, however I haven't been blown away by the results that I've had. I question how much of this is due to my technique rather than the design and workings of the product, and will continue to use the product to explore this further.
on 13 June 2014
Today I would like to review Scholl Pedi Velvet Smooth Electric Hard Skin Remover. It's an electric foot file designed to remove hard skin. It's available in all major supermarkets, drugstores and online at RRP £39.99, subject to promotion at retailer's discretion.

I love it! Being battery operated this is the easiest and the most effective foot file I've ever had because it means I don't have to spend a ridiculous amount of time and energy scrubbing my feet to achieve the desirable result.

I love the ergonomic design of Sholl Pedi. The handle is quite thick and made of non slip rubbery material and at the end there's a rotating roller head for buffing away rough skin. It somewhat resembles a vegetable peeler, but no blades!! Oh no-no-no!! Scholl is safe and completely pain-free :)

The rotating roller head is meant to last for 12 treatments and after that you'll need to get replacements, a pack of two replacement heads is RRP £12.49 unless you can them on offer.

Once the batteries are inserted all you have to do is twist the silver ring on the unit to turn it on and gently guide the roller over the hard skin. Scholl Pedi was very efficient at exfoliating the soles of my feet and manoeuvring this little gadget around my toes was an effortless bliss. Had to spend a bit more time on the typical problem areas such as heels and cushions. If you press too hard - Scholl Pedi stops. After I finished, I washed my feet and applied a good foot cream.

So far I have only used it once and it has left my feet soft and visibly smoother and I will certainly will continue using Scholl to maintain them that way.

Scholl Pedi is definitely a worthwhile investment. It's a perfect combination of ease of use and effectiveness.

The only possible downside that I can think of is that Scholl Pedi is not rechargeable and requires 4 AA batteries (which are included). I don't know how long the original batteries would last, but it could be a bit of a pain if you need to use your Scholl quite frequently and wind up spending a small fortune on batteries. No a problem for me as I have rechargeable batteries anyway. On the positive side, it's easy to store as there's no cables and rechargeable stations.

Overall, it's a product that I would recommend to anyone. I can't believe how quick and effortless a fabulous home pedicure can be!
on 13 June 2014
I was lucky enough to receive one of these to try via bzzagent and I've now been using it for a few weeks. It's very easy to use and you do notice a difference straight away, especially if you pair it with the School Velvet Smooth serum.
The device itself is nice and comfortable to hold and use. It runs on batteries so no wires to get tangled up in. The roller itself is fairly solid and clips in to the head and while you can buy replacements, I think this will last pretty well and will just need to be run under water once in a while to keep it clean. I know some have been unhappy with the on/off button (the silver band in the middle the moves from side to side) but I don't think that's really an issue. At least you can't accidentally turn it off.
When using, you do not need to press down at all. Just let it glide over your feet but do not keep it on one area for more then 3-4 seconds. It has worked really well for me and I only spend a couple of minutes, a couple of times a week using this and it has made a real difference. I'm not quite so concerned about cracked and dry looking feet!
The only reason I've not given it 5/5 is because of a few minor issues. They wouldn't stop me from recommending it, but it would be perfect if these issues were addressed. It is quite noisy - you can't use this discreetly! A little quieter than an epilator for comparison. Because of the design of the roller and handle etc. the dust does go absolutely everywhere, so you ideally want to use it in the garden or in a room with no breeze! The final issue, which is the main annoyance for me, is the clear plastic cap that fits over the head of the device/roller. It pops off as soon as you look at it! The minute I put it down it usually pings off so I'm keeping it slightly raised to help avoid it.
All in all a great little device that I would not usually have purchase but will certainly be using from now on.