on 22 March 2015
I do not know if it is life changing, but I've implemented the books ideas into my own together with some other new ideas from other sources. Let us hope they last. Like all books that are not fiction, the 20/80 principle applies. The 20% of useful information is:
Set aside time to plan you week every week.
Decide the one thing you wish to accomplish this decade/year/month/week/day. Reserve time blocks to do your one thing, minimum four hours. Do not let anything disturb you while doing your one thing.
It is an easy and fun read, recommended.
0Comment24 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 May 2013
I have the kindle version as the hardback was taking three weeks to deliver and I didn't want to wait... Very useful presentation of the latest research on focus, willpower and motivation, entwined with advice and tips on getting the most out of the day through working smarter rather then harder. Recommended reading for all from teenagers to seniors.
on 7 May 2013
First, I confess to a lifelong struggle with procrastination and dragging my feet which has turned me into a bit of a productivity junkie.

Having set the scene, I found this book very helpful. The authors use stories to illustrate their premise - which always makes things easier to assimilate and understand - they also draw in threads from other books I have read recently which rather reinforces the points made there.

The book is an easy and enjoyable read but that doesn't mean its message doesn't pack a useful punch. It does. It is motivating as well as informative and practical.

I really liked the fact that the solution proposed is not just work related - the authors encourage you to focus on all domains of life - not, as they point out, to achieve balance but to recognise there is more to life than work.

The tips given about goal setting included the regular stuff that fellow productivity junkies will have read many times before BUT there is also a significant addition. an exercise, which you will almost certainly resist doing but if you do I am certain you will experience one of those 'aha' epiphanies of where it has all been going wrong in the past.

The only reason I haven't awarded 5 stars is because I think there was a chunk of repeated information at the back of the book which was unnecessary and I also question the price (I bought the KIndle edition) which did seem on the high side. (But that says more about my expectations than the value offered by the book).

Definitely recommended to anyone who is ending each day with a lot crossed off the ubiquitous list but with a sense of no-thing being done.
0Comment23 of 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 July 2015
I found the book "The One Thing" to be very overrated. Gary Keller comes with a lot of claims and statements, but the majority of them are unsupported or with a weak argumentation behind.
He uses a lot of time without really saying anything. Once in a while you stumble upon a good point or two, but it kind of drowns in all the other noise.
11 comment9 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2016
As a very busy person, in many areas of my life, and someone who likes to think things through thoroughly, more than just "get things done", I needed some help to help me to be more effective.

I really enjoyed this book and have immediately put into practice many of the techniques explained in the book. It's helping me in all aspects of my life and even more impressively, some principles have been shared with others, and they are making a difference for them too.

Well recommended.
on 29 July 2013
In this day when we think we need to have it all, and all at once, the idea that we should focus on One Thing is refreshing.

The practice introduced in this book, of asking myself each day (or week), 'What one thing, if I did it, would make other things easier or unnecessary?' has changed how I approach prioritising my time.

Very, very useful. If you feel scattered, or like you are trying to manage too many things, or not handling things as well as you'd like, then take the time to read this.
0Comment27 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 December 2014
One of the best books I've read in this genre. Including the "ONE Thing" idea it discusses how to leverage the power of habits instead of relying on willpower. Another book that covers this subject very well is called the "The Real Law Of Attraction" by George Abegha which even goes further in explaining the difference between Ego and the Real Self, how the Ego is really in control most of the time and how to program it to work for us in achieving great feats.
on 8 November 2014
Simply good food for your mind. A very big swing in thought has just happened. Compounding what I've subliminally always thought. Now I know! ;-)
on 24 September 2015
I've read so many of these books and after a while they all merge into one. But this one has one simple message which on the face of it might seem simplistic, but it makes a lot of sense. Note that this is no quick blabla wonder. It took four years to complete, and the research is phenomenal.
on 1 June 2014
Bought this book because it looked like a good read. The author has written this around the idea that doing one thing means you will do better and then collects loads of examples where he thinks this is the case. But the idea is based on nothing at all. For example, he cites Apple as focusing on one thing at a time which is ridiculous. People who write on here that they have had to read it twice because it is so good must have an IQ of a gnat! There is no content to this book at all.
In life, you certainly need to be FOCUSSED to be successful at something but that is not the same as doing ONE thing! Focussed means that if you start a business making scented candles, stick to the theme unless of course you find that no one wants to buy your scented candles! This is not the same as doing one thing though - it entails doing a myriad of things. Look at Richard Branson - do you really think he has been successful because he has focussed on ONE thing (at a time) - of course not. You also need to WORK HARD AND BE EFFECTIVE at what you do AND you will need a big dose of LUCK in the process. That's my theory of how to succeed in life! Free of charge!! Save yourself £8!
11 comment42 of 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse