Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

on 13 November 2013
Wow ten years where did that go? I remember when I first stumbled across Keane it was way back in March 2004 on Travis UK tour when they were there support band and yes I was instantly hooked after they played! THE BAND DESERVE THIS BEST OF ALBUM!!

Keane unlike many other bands over the last 10 years have always strived for brilliance over there career so far and it shows in this best of collection. The band are taking a break they are not splitting up. The only thing I will say why not have included "The Lovers Are Losing" surely one of there best songs ever? Perfect Symmetry for me is there strongest album you need to listen a few times and let it grow on you! We then move onto the B-Sides and these are great quality here too all of these could so easily have been put on albums. There is no other band who have touched me emotionally through there music as much as Keane have over the last Ten Years. There lyrics are great and I will say again that Tim Rice Oxley has to be one of the greatest songwriters of our generation!

This should be a celebration of how much there music has enriched our lives over the last ten years. I also find it very very hard to criticise the band in anyway. I actually applaud them for showing other artists how great music can be when the fame doesn't go to your head this is one of the other things I love about Keane the fact there four well grounded blokes!

I think a lot of the stick they have got over the years is totally unfair from the music press as I find all of Keane's work so energising and uplifting surely the way music is meant to make you feel right? well for me yes! but it appears people applaud the downright dull and depressing!

Also Keane are one of the greatest live acts I have ever seen and they top a huge list of bands I have seen over the years since between June 2012 and today I saw the band 5 times! Bristol 5th June, Brixton 9th June, London The 02 Arena 30th November and Newmarket Racecourse 9th August and Kenwood House London 25th August for me there is nobody who tops them live If you have never seen them I urge you to do so because it will stay with you forever like it has me!

I think most UK bands need to look at Keane and there quality of music because it is exceptional! It's how for me music should be and as with all of Keane's album's I never need to skip a track which is very rare to find these days!

Anyways Thank you again Keane for the last 10 years and I raise my glass to another 10+ years after this Hiatus! Let us use this best of as a celebration! and it's a milestone rather than a headstone!

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 November 2013
Please note: This review is for the standard single CD release.

I've been a Keane fan since their first ever hit in 2003. The song was the poignant 'Everybody's Changing', a great track that opens up this eagerly awaited greatest hits collection. The lyrics to these men's songs are often so very true, but the title of that first hit certainly hasn't reflected on Keane's success and popularity. So far, this East Sussex band have released four studio albums (from 2004-2012), and all of them have hit the number one spot, an impressive track record that I hope still stands when they release their fifth.

'The Best of Keane' marks their first decade of chart success, and contains all the radio friendly songs that we love, as well as two brand new tracks: 'Higher Than the Sun' and 'Won't Be Broken', both of which were written during the 'Strangeland' (the fourth album) era

The hits are presented on the CD chronically, tracks 1-5 are from their 2004 debut 'Hopes and Fears', 6-12 are taken from 'Under the Iron Sea' (which was 'almost' a greatest hits album in terms of the six single's success!), 13-14 debuted on 'Perfect Symmetry', 'My Shadow' was never a hit, but did appear on the EP 'Night Train', and 16-18 all appeared on 'Strangeland', Keane's most recent album. The aforementioned new tracks: 'Higher Than The Son' and 'Won't Be Broken' (19-20) are both included at the end.

If you are a casual fan or don't yet own a Keane album, then this really is a brilliant compilation which captures most of the highlights of their chart career so far. If you do however own the studio albums already, 'The Best of Keane' is worth having for the two new tracks, and to remind yourself (if you ever needed to) of all the classic songs the band has to their name.

I couldn't have done a better job myself in picking out the songs for this landmark release. However, I will say that it was a rather strange choice to include 'My Shadow' over 'Stop for a Minute, as that was the single taken from the aforementioned EP, and it WAS a top 40 hit. However, that is a minor criticism and not enough for me to rate this CD anything less than five stars.

Along with The Killers (who have also released a hits collection today), Keane was one of my first bands, and I'm still a fan today. I would recommend this album as a Christmas present, and it looks as though Keane and The Killers will be high in the charts throughout the rest of the month and December. Their fifth number one album perhaps?

Note: There is also a two CD set available (The Best of Keane - Deluxe Editon) which contains 17 of the band's B sides (ideal for a fan who wishes to own those tunes all in one place without having to collect the singles), and for the extra five quid or so, if you're really into them, I would say that it is well worth getting.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 November 2013
Keane embody songwriting in its truest sense. Every one of their offerings tells a story, often with a very deep and meaningful thread running through it. This collection of songs nicely embraces the last decade of Keane (though they have been around for much longer than that). It includes the soaring anthemic melodies that we all know and love alongside some amazing B sides too. Anyone that questions the inclusion of songs such as Atlantic or Try Again simply don't know this band well enough or what those songs mean personally to the band members. They have indulged themselves by choosing hugely personal tracks that, in turn, mean so much to those that have been fans of the band since the beginning. Snowed Under and Fly to Me are super B sides and the acoustic DVD that comes with the deluxe version of this album comprises a set list voted for entirely by fans that gives us the opportunity to hear much loved songs (Black Burning Heart) that are very seldom played live. This album is a unique collection of songs so would thoroughly recommend the purchase.
on 16 July 2014
What can I say? Every Keane fan knows that the talents of the angelic Tom Chaplin, Tim-Rice Oxley, Richard Hughes and Jesse Quinn are beyond fantastic. I'm glad that I brought the 1 disc version as I have heard of none of the b-sides in the second album and, although I'm sure that they are amazing, having all those tracks would just be too much and this album has the perfect quantity of songs. The songs are chosen well and laid out perfectly, but I do question some of the band's song choices.

For this reason, I can only give this album 4.9 stars, and this is why.

There are only three songs in this album that I would replace with others. The first it the track 'Try Again' which I listened to for the first time when I went through this album (I only became a fan in March 2014.) This song, although the lyrics are superb, and the song is great until it gets to the chorus, is a tad dull. I don't know if it's just me, but I just lost concentration in the middle and I would have chosen the song 'Love Is The End' to replace it.

The second is 'Silenced By The Night'. I know that many Keane fans just love this song and they'll probably disagree with me but I've never been able to enjoy it for some reason. This is just my opinion. Most Keane songs grow on me, but despite listening to it many times, I am forced to admit that this is not one of Keane's better songs. I would have picked the beautiful 'It's Not True' instead.

The third is 'Won't Be Broken', again the first time that I've listened to it. Of Keane's two new songs, I have to admit that 'Higher Than The Sun' is the better one. Again, I feel that 'Won't Be Broken' is the slightest bit dull and follows the same lines as 'Try Again'. I know I'm not the only one who wondered why 'The Lovers Are Losing' is not in this album and this is the song that I would pick to replace it.

Finally, the only other thing that I would change about this album is that I would have added 'Stop For A Minute'. I know that this has awful rapping with K'naan joining the group, but the radio edit is much better. Maybe this is because it's so different from all of the other Keane songs and, of course, there is a non-keane artist singing in it.

Apart from these slight flaws, which are only my opinion, I love this album and Keane remains my absolute favourite band and, indeed, music artists. Being a child, I saved up to buy this album and it's worth every penny. I brought it only a few pence cheaper on another site. It has nearly all of my absolute favourite songs in it, and I couldn't have chosen the 'Hopes and Fears' songs better myself. I woke up every morning anticipating the album in the post and this album has not disappointed me in any way. Today, when it dropped through the letterbox, it sounded like the most beautiful sound in the world, except, of course, the songs in the album itself.
on 22 November 2013
A great celebration of of fantastic band. For me, Keane are the most original and creative band to emerge from the last decade. Their output speaks for itself, not least the fabulous collection of B-sides on the deluxe version, which I have always thought warrant being made into an album in their own right.
I don't really understand some of the criticisms made in other reviews on here. The album does what it says on the tin, it is Keane's greatest hits. It may be called The Best of Keane, but it's meant to be a greatest hits collection with a few added extras. It's as simple as that, and either you like the music or you don't.
I have bought the album, even though I own all the albums, just to complete my collection. If people don't like the hits, then you can always make your own collection on iTunes etc. This album may not be everyone's 'best of' Keane collection, but this is what mp3 and players are for, so that you can make your own playlists!
It's great to have an album with all the singles together. I have spent the last half hour in a constant state of goose-pimples, such is the touching nature and musical quality of their songs. The songs are especially meaningful for me, living not far from their home county of Sussex. Many of their songs conjure up beautiful images of nostalgia, friendships and love, lost and found, in and around the sleepy town of Battle.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
It doesn't feel like Keane have been around for 10 years, but here they are with a singles collection that screams "end of recording contract". There are two reasons to buy this, but if you've bought all their other albums, then unless you go for the deluxe version, there is really little point in buying this.

The first reason is that, if you've never bought a Keane track before, then this is the quickest way to get into their style of music. The tracks are listed in chronological order, so you get a feel for where they started, what they went through, and where they are.

The second reason is that, if you are thinking of seeing them live, then this tells you pretty much what you can hear. There are a couple of duffers here, in my opinion, from the Iron Sea album, but if you want singalong anthems then there is more than enough here to keep you singing
on 20 December 2013
I utterly adore Keane and have done ever since Hopes & Fears came out in 2004. My first ever album, purchased for me for my eighth birthday, alongside Hot Fuss [The Killers] and Franz Ferdinand [Franz Ferdinand]. The Best of Keane presents a greatest hits compilation for the band and makes for great listening, whether sat at home or journeying in the car. I'd switch a couple of tracks for other songs that I believe are better, but the entire album is great.

On a side note, I am surprised that there's so many tracks from Under The Iron Sea included in the album. I was under the impression that it is generally deemed as the worst of Keane's discography. The better tracks of the album have been chosen for The Best of Keane though.

on 3 August 2015
I made mistake when I bought this cd! Not realising there are two different versions of "The Best Of" I originally purchased the one disc version. The album was a delight and the diverse song writing blew me away. When I discovered I could have bought the deluxe version with 15 more tracks to immerse myself in I was really annoyed. Later I bought "Strangelands" another enjoyable , though lighter mix of their songs. I still kept stewing over the fact that I had missed out this extra disc. In the end I paid for the deluxe version (so now I have two disc ones!) just so I could find what I missed the first time. I can tell you it was worth it. The songs were more laid back on the second disc but no less enjoyable.
on 9 May 2015
A great 2CD and DVD package which reflects the best of Keane.The DVD that accompanies the deluxe set is excellent ,with the tracks selected being popular b sides rather than the safe Keane songs we all love - worth getting for this alone. All in all a 5 star package and hope one day Keane will return after the solo outings! One very minor quibble - it's a pity the best of Keane wasn't realised on vinyl ; I'm sure there would have been a demand for it - the Killers bought out an (admittedly expensive) 10" set of their greatest hits and they were soon snapped up! With the current resurgence of vinyl maybe one day ....
on 15 November 2013
I bought this for the b sides on disc 2 that I haven`t heard before and full marks to Keane for bringing out the deluxe version for this reason. The standard edition is probably for the housewife Christmas market as most Keane fans will already have the songs on disc 1. The two new tracks however are good and very similar to Strangeland tracks, but not worth buying the standard version for alone.
Unfortunately the mastering is the usual poor stardard with clipping and distortion evident throughout particularly in the bass. Considering masterering was done at Abbey Road studios this makes it all the more surprising and I was hoping for better. Keane`s Night Train was also done at Abbey Road and by the same engineer too and sounds better, so it can be done. Probably the expected sales market dictated the loudness this time,but surely disc 2 could have been mastered properly as I doubt many deluxe versions will be sold in Tescos and similar.