Colour: Turquoise and silverSize: 14.5 inchChange

on 10 March 2015
I have had 3 of these same lamps since November '14. First, wax wouldn't melt after 2 weeks. Second, the purple faded to almost nothing after four weeks. The third, the purple lasted almost eight weeks!! I loved this coloured lamp and I am gutted this happened. I could not risk another of the same. Got another replacement, clear with black wax...I hate this new one but I hate more the fact that there was never an explanation as to why this specific one is a failure!
review image
0Comment35 of 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 October 2014
I wanted a lava lamp that gave off a warm glow and this one certainly does. Amazon's website describes this as purple/yellow and on arrival when cold, it is visibly a yellow wax in purple liquid. However, reviewers had described it as purple/orange which is what I was looking for and once warmed up this lava lamp definitely gives off more of a warm red glow.

The purple liquid glows a purply red with the bubbles at the bottom glowing deep yellow through to a burnt reddy orange on rising. The bubbles in my photo look more orange when they are actually much more red than this.

It took about 1 1/2 hours from cold to start gaining movement, but was bubbling well in about 2 hours, but it really does depend on the ambient room temperature and if it has been in use hours before. On first use there appears to be no issues with my new 'lavalite' lamp and it is just what I was looking for.

Don't worry if the liquid sits short of the top cap level at first, this soon disappears as the liquid heats up and expands. WARNING! The lamp does become very hot so I advise caution with young children.

Update: However, after only a few uses the wax refused to bubble, no matter how long it was given to heat up. My daughter had to return 2 faulty Lavalite lamps to another seller before she got one that worked; one faulty lamp gave off a worrying electrical crackle and so was immediately returned, the other stopped bubbling after only a few uses, so I suppose it's a case of finding one that works.
22 comments33 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 October 2013
I would love this product but it arrived with a label on saying please remove - which I did and it left a glue mark, which I washed off and managed to remove the coloured film that surrounds the glass! This is not made from rainbow glass but a glass bottle coved in rainbow film. The whole effect is now ruined. But it has now been exchanged and when it's running it is really relaxing and great fun. Excellent exchange service.
on 1 October 2012
The lamp is relatively well priced however the light is very warm (yellowish) rather than white like in the photo which is what I wanted. What you see in the image has been desaturated (color saturation was removed for a clean aesthetic effect). I would have preferred if the seller provided more accurate photo representation of the item. The wax is dark purple rather than black which I don't actually mind that much.
22 comments23 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2015
All the colour has disappeared after 3 weeks. It's useless and waiting to see if amazon are going to refund me.
Caution
review image
on 21 November 2012
Lovely light, great gift for that hard to buy for son of mine! Also £10 more expensive in John Lewis
on 5 May 2015
I loved this lamp at first, but like some other people have posted....it has lost its colour. It is now clear and yellow. I definitely haven't been exposing it to sunlight, as I don't get sunlight in my bedroom (window faces outdoor wall), shame. It still works I guess.
review image review image
on 21 December 2013
As another reviewer says after 5 minutes the spinner in the bottom of the bottle starts to rattle and you loose the tornado effect. The only way to start again is to switch off and back on again, this is actually mentioned in the instructions.

Have seen these in shop displays which I assume are on all day without a problem.

Update.

Have received a replacement and it's slightly different in design.The faulty one has a spinner that's a rectangle block about 3cm wide and the bottle is filled with stuff that looks like white foam.Think the problem is the white foam filling is to dense for the spinner and as it's only held in place by magnets it gets dislodged due to the force on the spinner.

The replacements spinner is round and has fins attached to the top, the bottle is filled with glitter instead of the foam material. The combination of the glitter and new spinner design means it can be left on all day without any problems.

Only issue now is the old design was silent although didn't last longer than a couple of minutes, new design has a constant rattle that quiet loud. TV noise would probably drown it out but if it was in a silent room I think it may get quite irritating.
on 19 May 2013
My son is 11 and loves this light and the colours change gradually so they blend into each other. Very relaxing.
on 1 November 2012
OK so it's cheap but you get what you pay for.

Base is sturdy enough just looks really cheap and a little tacky.

Pay a little extra and get a better quality lamp in my opinion.