on 9 October 2013
First of all if this was being marked on the music alone - it would be getting a decent 4.5/5 out of 5! I think we all know - & love - this superb music that, looking thru the tracklisting, yes we've probably come across before am I right?
That's just it - am I right though? 'Cos the tracklisting above & on other buying sites is completely at odds with what you get on the item itself!!!

I'll waste no more of your precious time, the music is superb & the majority looking here will be familiar with it so, I'll complete what should have been done by messrs Amazon, ebay [who are useless compilers of tracklistings anyway!] etc....

Disc: 1

25. After Closing Time - Hal Frazier

Cheers - Andy
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 April 2014
Since I have quite a large collection of Northern and soul tracks I was very pleased to find this particular compilation since it contained many tracks which were missing from my collection. The choice of content and the recording quality are absolutely first class and having compared a few of the tracks which I already owned on 45 vinyl it would seem that these CDs have used the original versions.

The compilation is extremely good value for the price and I would readily recommend it not just to lovers of Northern Soul but to anyone who favours black American music in general.
on 7 February 2015
I purchased this collection with Northern Soul 360 as I was looking for a collection after getting plenty of requests when DJ'ing.
This collection is all original artists and includes tracks that I know well and also has introduced me to some new material.
Excellent collection for Northern Soul fans and for new fans like myself.
on 1 May 2014
Although I have heard a lot of these on many other of my NS collections, this is a great triple CD. Would recomend this purchase.
on 26 April 2015
A collection rather than 'the' collection. If purchasing more you will find other collections have similar tracks on each CD. As other reviewers have said the track listing is inaccurate on Amazon. It is a pity that the CD is not part of Amazon's digital download so that you get the MP3 version as soon as you buy, rather than waiting for the phyisical CD a few days later. However, all that apart I very much enjoyed the music.
VINE VOICEon 9 October 2014
Definitely worth having on the shelf of Northern Soul classics.

This collection represents colossally good value. Three CDs packed with those floor fillers and also a good sprinkling of gems that we haven't already tracked down. The quality of the recordings is such that it seems the original masters were used to curate these discs, as there is that fresh sound one would expect from first generation copies.

Keep the faith and invest a relatively small amount in this 3 CD collection. You won't be sorry. It's not a bargain bin collection by any means.
on 20 January 2014
There is a vast array of cheaply-priced compilations available focussing on this largely uptempo and generally joyful soul music sub-genre. Unfortunately, there is a great deal of overlap in the song selection across these releases. This plainly-presented and plainly-titled 3CD box-set from Rhino proves no exception. It boasts a large number of tracks that appeared on the relatively well-received, pretty professional After Hours series of albums that the same label put out in the noughties. After Hours - Northern Soul Masters;After Hours 2 - More Northern Soul Masters, and After Hours 3 - More Northern Soul Masters showed professionalism (and good taste) in the way in the way that they raided the vaults of legendary labels like Atlantic; Atco; Loma; Reprise, and Warner Bros Records for relatively obscure but desirable material from the 1960s and 1970s. Northern Soul: The Collection cherry-picks some of the best from that bunch with selections like: The Apollas' 'Mr Creator'; Joanie Sommers' 'Don't Pity Me', Alice Clark's 'You Hit Me (Right Where It Hurt Me)'; Linda Jones' 'A Last Minute Miracle'; The Marvellos' `Something's Burnin'', and David & Ruben's 'I Love Her So Much It Hurts Me'. That finger-clicking, hip-shaking lot are supplemented by some stunning but predictable tracks that have graced 1001 other Northern Soul compilations: Al Wilson's 'The Snake'; Chuck Wood's 'Seven Days Too Long'; The Casualeers' 'Dance Dance Dance'; Jackie Wilson '(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher', and Showstoppers' 'Ain't Nothing But A House Party'. And sadly some of the credits for the track listing when played on a Media Player are incorrect. Still, the sound quality is pretty good here considering the wildly varying sources and recording dates; and there are remarkably few clog-footed clunkers for a compilation that boasts 75 songs - though some of the mid-1970s offerings, such as Gloria Jones' re-recording of 'Tainted Love', and Barnaby Bye's 'Can't Live This Way', are a bit too slick for a genre that thrives on its ability to provide a rough-and-ready take on Motown music.
on 7 June 2015
I am a Northern Soul fan so probably very biased, a good collection but not a great one. I have many compilations of Northern Souls and this is not one of the best but still a worthwhile purchase.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 August 2015
I'm not a hardend Northern Soul fan, but this CD was fantastic it had songs I knew and songs I did'nt Loved it (now I just need to learn how to dance like a Nortern Souler)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 September 2015
fantastic collection - many foot tapping songs and I just want to dance all day!
item arrived on time and in perfect condition, very pleased :-)