Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

You might think that in the world of tablet computers and smart phones that the iPod touch is a redundant device. Not really big enough to be a tablet and unable to make phone calls, it's really neither one thing nor the other. But just because an object defies categorisation doesn't mean that it lacks value. This is the second iPod touch I've owned, purchased after my old 3rd generation model ceased to work. I was amazed by the improvements in this model. It is very slim and light and feels good in the hand. I'm not personally too keen on the 'loop' that Apple generously include in the box (so am not using it (it isn't compulsory), but I am very keen on the camera which takes very good stills and HD video in very high quality. The screen quality is outstanding - the phrase 'retina display' is marketing hype but you really can't see the dots. I use my iPod to read ebooks ( the small screen works surprisingly well for this) as well as music and video and all looks very good. You also have access to Apple's productivity apps and while the screen is too small for anything meaningful, if you want to make a few changes to a document you've previously created on your Mac, then these work well. If you want an entry into the iOS operating system and all of its Apps, then this is the most affordable place to get a foot in the door. With wifi increasingly available, the inability to make a traditional phone call doesn't really matter as much as it used to - you can use Skype or other internet call services for non-urgent phone calls. It is astonishing what this little gadget can do for its size and I love it!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2015
Apple iPod touch 32GB
The iPod Touch 5th generation has come a long way since the launch of the first generation iPod a few years go. There are several features that I love about this new Touch. My quick impressions so far after having used it for just under a week.

FORM FACTOR - The Touch is thinner than iPhone 5 though still has the same 4-inch retina display. The overall experience is significantly better using this device compared to the Touch 4. I was pretty happy with my Touch 4, but now looking at it after playing with the Touch 5, it just seems small! The 5 is thinner and lighter than even the iPhone 5. Very slick.

BODY - The back is anodized aluminum finish in amazing colors. The matte finish makes it less scratch-prone (at least so far it seems that way) compared to the steel-backed Touch 4. The body is slightly more rectangular and less curved than the 4, making it easier to use the side volume buttons. I honestly don't think a case is necessary for this device given its beautiful colors and fairly scratch-resistant body, but that again would be entirely a personal decision. Some folks are prone to dropping devices in which case a case is a must. My 2 cents - a transparent case would probably be best which at least allows the beauty of the device to come through. Putting on a thick black case on this would be doing it severe injustice!

CAMERA - The camera is in my opinion one of the best features of the Touch. The Touch has a 5MP camera, which I think is the same as the iPhone though I could be wrong on this. It gives 1080p recording in this slick device, makes me think back of the loaded camcorders we carried and converted tapes to DVDs, and that wasn't so long ago! The camera, same as the iPhone camera, gives the panoramic option which lets you capture a pretty wide angle shot. I tried this feature only in the house, but due to different lighting in the different areas that I was shooting, the picture didn't come out so well. I'm sure if taken with correct lighting or outdoors, the panoramic pictures would be spectacular. I wonder if the camera is meant to be the main feature of the Touch that Apple wants to push, given that they included a hand strap with the touch, just like most cameras come with.

A5 PROCESSOR - The difference in speed because of the A5 processor is quite noticeable, for the better. It makes the device much faster - for apps, loading videos, etc. For the few apps that I use often, the speed is remarkable.

EARBUDS - I don't use the Apple earphones because they have been uncomfortable for me personally. I tried the new earbuds and these fit much better. Sound quality maybe just about the same, at least I didn't notice any significant difference. I'm happy using my Bose or Sony headphones with the Touch. The speaker on the iPod is decent for light listening or watching videos. It's really not meant to give surround sound, but the speakers do their job fine.

CONNECTOR - The lightning connector is probably better for charging speeds and data transfer (I guess), but the only good thing that I find about this is that the cable can be inserted either way into the Touch. Unlike the previous 30-pin connector that could only be inserted one way up. One thing to note - and this might have just been me but I did see some reviews earlier to this effect - the USB end of the adapter is probably the same as all USBs. But, for some reason, when I plugged it in to my car charger, it got stuck in it. I struggled for a good 5 minutes to get it out. I had no problems with my 30-pin connector cable with this charger. I later read reviews for the car charger and other folks had mentioned the same thing. Not sure what the issue was, maybe just a few isolated events. But for now I am not using any non-Apple approved charger, even if it is just a USB charger. Another problem I have faced is that when I connect the iPod to the USB jack in my car, there are times when the sound comes through the iPod instead of the car speakers. The iPod is connected and shows "Accessory Connected". I then have to unlplug the device and plug it back in, and then it works fine. This has happened 2-3 times over the past few days. I'm not sure if this has to do with the lightning cable or the car's USB port.

SOFTWARE - It runs on iOS6 and the speed is amazing. Note that it doesn't have Google Maps which I sorely miss, but that's an issue more with iOS6 rather than the ouch itself. Hopefully Apple's maps will get better :) It has built-in Siri but I don't use Siri myself so can't comment on that.

It's hard to compare this with the iPhone because this is not a phone, though you can download Skype or Vonage Mobile and use these apps to turn the Touch into a makeshift phone. I guess it could be compared to other tablets which do pretty much the same thing as the Touch for the most part. A lot of the tablets are cheaper in price, though have less storage capacity and can't be used so efficiently as a camera, or an MP3 player while working out.

All in all I am very impressed and pleased with the Touch 5 so far. Whether to buy or upgrade to this device is entirely a personal decision depending on what you're looking for.
on 8 June 2014
It came pretty quickly was easy to get all my music on and I love it, the sound is amazxing!
Can't fault the product at all!
on 26 June 2014
Ordered from this seller as this was the best price I could find online, I have to say I am very impressed with my purchase. It arrived promptly well packaged and was relatively easy to set up. Just waiting for my case to arrive now so I can use it more frequently. My other ipod lasted 4 years until I broke the screen (not using my case), I will not make the same mistake again.
on 11 January 2014
Product arrived in perfect condition. Its excellent and improves on my old I touch which is still going strong. Much better sound and camera excellent. Great product.
on 5 August 2014
I've only had this a few days, but I am already in love with it. The apps are versatile and the usual ones (i.e. Facebook, YouTube, Instagram) all feel tailored to the iPod's display. Speaking of which, each swipe elicits an immediate and smooth response from the iPod's crisp and clear Retina display.

The iPod also feels great in the hand, with an smooth aluminum back and nice, rounded corners and edges. It is also extremely thin and lightweight.

The iPod's camera is also a fantastic asset to it. Its 5-megapixel back camera is capable of taking beautiful photos, as is the slightly less powerful front-facing camera. And, if you're not entirely satisfied with your photo once you've taken it, there's no need to delete it as the iPod comes pre-loaded with numerous, basic features (e.g. filters, auto-enhance, red-eye removal) that allow you to fine tune your photo until it's as good as it can be.

Overall, Apple continues its streak of producing great product after great product with this iPod by bringing you everything you loved from previous models and iPhones (minus the calling and texting, of course), and improving or removing the rest. It is also helped by the fact that this comes with iOS 7 already installed. In short: if you're looking for one and have the money, get it!
on 5 May 2014
What a surprise !!
I would have had one a long time ago if I had known it was this good.
Thank you Apple !!
on 4 May 2014
This was recommended to me,and have to say a good buy and so far quite easy to get to grips with. Have. Just returned from holiday and it. Will now be a " must take item" . Excellent quality sound wise and product wise
on 22 November 2014
For a start, great communication and speed of dispatch from sender, I received it a day earlier than expected.
The iPod touch is a wonderful device and there's no point in me going in depth. The reviews online are spot on, and this is a wonderful device which I use every day.
on 15 May 2014
Delivery amazing as usual, ordered on Friday night, delivered on Sat morning 9.30, WOW.

Great iPod and nice cover in Gray, I tunes is getting fortune loading all new music