Size: 32GBChange

You might think that in the world of tablet computers and smart phones that the iPod touch is a redundant device. Not really big enough to be a tablet and unable to make phone calls, it's really neither one thing nor the other. But just because an object defies categorisation doesn't mean that it lacks value. This is the second iPod touch I've owned, purchased after my old 3rd generation model ceased to work. I was amazed by the improvements in this model. It is very slim and light and feels good in the hand. I'm not personally too keen on the 'loop' that Apple generously include in the box (so am not using it (it isn't compulsory), but I am very keen on the camera which takes very good stills and HD video in very high quality. The screen quality is outstanding - the phrase 'retina display' is marketing hype but you really can't see the dots. I use my iPod to read ebooks ( the small screen works surprisingly well for this) as well as music and video and all looks very good. You also have access to Apple's productivity apps and while the screen is too small for anything meaningful, if you want to make a few changes to a document you've previously created on your Mac, then these work well. If you want an entry into the iOS operating system and all of its Apps, then this is the most affordable place to get a foot in the door. With wifi increasingly available, the inability to make a traditional phone call doesn't really matter as much as it used to - you can use Skype or other internet call services for non-urgent phone calls. It is astonishing what this little gadget can do for its size and I love it!
22 comments55 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2015
Apple iPod touch 32GB
The iPod Touch 5th generation has come a long way since the launch of the first generation iPod a few years go. There are several features that I love about this new Touch. My quick impressions so far after having used it for just under a week.

FORM FACTOR - The Touch is thinner than iPhone 5 though still has the same 4-inch retina display. The overall experience is significantly better using this device compared to the Touch 4. I was pretty happy with my Touch 4, but now looking at it after playing with the Touch 5, it just seems small! The 5 is thinner and lighter than even the iPhone 5. Very slick.

BODY - The back is anodized aluminum finish in amazing colors. The matte finish makes it less scratch-prone (at least so far it seems that way) compared to the steel-backed Touch 4. The body is slightly more rectangular and less curved than the 4, making it easier to use the side volume buttons. I honestly don't think a case is necessary for this device given its beautiful colors and fairly scratch-resistant body, but that again would be entirely a personal decision. Some folks are prone to dropping devices in which case a case is a must. My 2 cents - a transparent case would probably be best which at least allows the beauty of the device to come through. Putting on a thick black case on this would be doing it severe injustice!

CAMERA - The camera is in my opinion one of the best features of the Touch. The Touch has a 5MP camera, which I think is the same as the iPhone though I could be wrong on this. It gives 1080p recording in this slick device, makes me think back of the loaded camcorders we carried and converted tapes to DVDs, and that wasn't so long ago! The camera, same as the iPhone camera, gives the panoramic option which lets you capture a pretty wide angle shot. I tried this feature only in the house, but due to different lighting in the different areas that I was shooting, the picture didn't come out so well. I'm sure if taken with correct lighting or outdoors, the panoramic pictures would be spectacular. I wonder if the camera is meant to be the main feature of the Touch that Apple wants to push, given that they included a hand strap with the touch, just like most cameras come with.

A5 PROCESSOR - The difference in speed because of the A5 processor is quite noticeable, for the better. It makes the device much faster - for apps, loading videos, etc. For the few apps that I use often, the speed is remarkable.

EARBUDS - I don't use the Apple earphones because they have been uncomfortable for me personally. I tried the new earbuds and these fit much better. Sound quality maybe just about the same, at least I didn't notice any significant difference. I'm happy using my Bose or Sony headphones with the Touch. The speaker on the iPod is decent for light listening or watching videos. It's really not meant to give surround sound, but the speakers do their job fine.

CONNECTOR - The lightning connector is probably better for charging speeds and data transfer (I guess), but the only good thing that I find about this is that the cable can be inserted either way into the Touch. Unlike the previous 30-pin connector that could only be inserted one way up. One thing to note - and this might have just been me but I did see some reviews earlier to this effect - the USB end of the adapter is probably the same as all USBs. But, for some reason, when I plugged it in to my car charger, it got stuck in it. I struggled for a good 5 minutes to get it out. I had no problems with my 30-pin connector cable with this charger. I later read reviews for the car charger and other folks had mentioned the same thing. Not sure what the issue was, maybe just a few isolated events. But for now I am not using any non-Apple approved charger, even if it is just a USB charger. Another problem I have faced is that when I connect the iPod to the USB jack in my car, there are times when the sound comes through the iPod instead of the car speakers. The iPod is connected and shows "Accessory Connected". I then have to unlplug the device and plug it back in, and then it works fine. This has happened 2-3 times over the past few days. I'm not sure if this has to do with the lightning cable or the car's USB port.

SOFTWARE - It runs on iOS6 and the speed is amazing. Note that it doesn't have Google Maps which I sorely miss, but that's an issue more with iOS6 rather than the ouch itself. Hopefully Apple's maps will get better :) It has built-in Siri but I don't use Siri myself so can't comment on that.

It's hard to compare this with the iPhone because this is not a phone, though you can download Skype or Vonage Mobile and use these apps to turn the Touch into a makeshift phone. I guess it could be compared to other tablets which do pretty much the same thing as the Touch for the most part. A lot of the tablets are cheaper in price, though have less storage capacity and can't be used so efficiently as a camera, or an MP3 player while working out.

All in all I am very impressed and pleased with the Touch 5 so far. Whether to buy or upgrade to this device is entirely a personal decision depending on what you're looking for.
on 11 November 2015
I've had this iPod for a couple of years now. It was bought to replace my old iPod classic which unfortunately gave up the ghost after many years. I fancied the touch rather than another classic mainly due to the fact that it had Bluetooth and I wanted to use it with wireless headphones.

Cons
Exceptionally over complicated. It tries to do way too much and ends up failing at most of it, especially if all you want is a music player.
Every software update breaks it slightly more. If it doesn't crash halfway through and require a complete reset (deleting all music and apps), the update will make it brutally sluggish and unresponsive. The current one now means I can't add music to it from my computer, which is a bit of a flaw for a music player... Maybe I've just been extremely unlucky but I can honestly say I never had a software update that hasn't in some way malfunctioned.
The newly designed music app is just awful if you are mostly listening to purchased music. It has done away with any usable interface for browsing music and opted for the majority of the menus being for Apple Music, which is useless if you don't listen while connected to the internet/ don't subscribe to any of their services.
Using iTunes to add music to or update an iPod is one of the most frustrating and unnecessarily time consuming things I have ever done. The program is awfully designed with unhelpful progress messages, an awful interface and needlessly complicated menus.
Fairly mediocre battery life
There's a pointless strap button thing on the back (slightly nitpicky)

Pros
Unfortunately it's the only MP3 player on the market worth considering
Bluetooth is useful for connecting to wireless headphones etc.
on 9 March 2015
i loved the design of the old iPod. This new one is good but it has too many bells and whistles if you just want it for music. I rate it 4 stars as the size of memory is reduced from the old ones and in that respect feels like a step back. Still 10 times better than the other alternatives on the market.
on 1 September 2014
A fine piece of kit. My only complaints are that: 1) 64GB is too small; and 2) the latest iteration of the OS means that when you access an album via the Artist link, you cannot specify that the album is repeated: it either repeats the song, or repeats all the songs listed under that artist. So if your memory isn't perfect, you have to use the Artist link to find the name that the album is listed under, then go back a step to Albums to select the album you want repeated.

Come on Apple, cater for us oldies who have large music collections but failing memories!
on 8 June 2014
It came pretty quickly was easy to get all my music on and I love it, the sound is amazxing!
Can't fault the product at all!
on 26 June 2014
Ordered from this seller as this was the best price I could find online, I have to say I am very impressed with my purchase. It arrived promptly well packaged and was relatively easy to set up. Just waiting for my case to arrive now so I can use it more frequently. My other ipod lasted 4 years until I broke the screen (not using my case), I will not make the same mistake again.
on 14 May 2014
They seem expensive and as a basic mp3 player they probably are but the iPod touch does so much more. The screen is very clear and the user interface simple even just for music it makes the classic seem very out of date. I am very pleased with it and find more and more ways to make the most out of it.
11 comment13 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2014
Product arrived in perfect condition. Its excellent and improves on my old I touch which is still going strong. Much better sound and camera excellent. Great product.
11 comment22 of 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2014
For a start, great communication and speed of dispatch from sender, I received it a day earlier than expected.
The iPod touch is a wonderful device and there's no point in me going in depth. The reviews online are spot on, and this is a wonderful device which I use every day.